“Beautiful Resort!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sandy Bay
ny
“Beautiful Resort!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Traveled with my family of 4 (2 teenagers) to Anthony's Key (AKR) June 28-July 5 with our dive shop, Marsh Scuba. This was my first time going to a Scuba Diving resort! I was a little worried since I am not an avid diver like my husband and most of the people in our group. I did research AKR on tripadvisor before hand so I had some knowledge on what to expect. Most of the information in previous reviews were correct.The resort is beautiful! Very well kept, clean and of course tropical. You had a spectacular view no matter where you looked.
We stayed in the cabins off the main island. We shared our cabin area with another family of 4 traveling in our group and it was great. Our large shared deck overlooking the ocean had three hammocks so you could sit and enjoy the fantastic view and soothing sounds of the ocean tapping the rocks below us!
Rooms were a good size, beds were very comfortable!! Cleaning lady was not the best but nothing to really complain about. Never really missed having TV because you had free wi-fi in your room or in main lobby house.
Had to get used to taking a small motor boat over the main island to do anything. But after a few times you got to know the boat drivers and they made it fun. One young man even let my son drive the boat across! Our island did have a very nice pool with bar so that was convenient.
The staff at the resort were wonderful! Most were very helpful and very friendly.
The meals (3/day) were good. There was a small selection for lunch and dinner with dessert. Breakfast was my favorite! You could choose from fresh fruit and muffins or cereal or eggs, pancakes, french toast,etc. Waiters on both shifts were great! Very accommodating! Loren was our guy for breakfast and lunch and I have shamefully forgotten the name of the gentleman in the evening! He was a big teddy bear! Was very concerned for me when I was sick for 2 days with stomach flu (a few people in my group had it too).
Diving was wonderful. I didn't dive as much as others in my group because of illness but when I did, it was great! Our divemaster was Jeromie!! fantastic! He knew right from the practice dive that I was not as comfortable as the others and paid special attention to me every trip to make sure I was ok. He and the boat captain took care of everyone with individual attention with gear and any questions we had. My husband went on every dive and loved all of them. One night dive was just ok.
My daughter and I participated in the Action Dolphin swim and LOVED it!! Bucket list item checked off!! The dolphin area is accessible every day and we "visited" almost every day and sat on the dock and watched the dolphins work and play. They would swim over to us and check us out! It was the best part of my trip! Highly recommend it! My husband and son did the dolphin dive and loved it too! They also did the shark dive and said it was a great experience! The video is amazing to watch! So many sharks swimming around them!! Highly recommend!
Mayan Key lunch and walk about was fun. The small "zoo" was ok. I felt bad for the animals in those small enclosures! Lunch was good and again the views from their beach were amazing!
My review would have been 5 stars if it wasn't for the sand fleas! I brought my own bug spray and suntan lotion with bug repellent and then bought their stuff too at the snack-shop! YOU MUST spray yourself every time you leave your room!!!!! One of the ladies in our group was literally covered in the first afternoon with bites! She went to doctor and had to take medication to help her. We all at some point were dealing with multiple bites! Our last afternoon was spent at the pool and we thought being in the water would help keep them at bay. Well we got home and we were covered with bites!! My husband's legs were literally covered with red bites! all of us still have the marks on us and we have been home a week!
Summary: Beautiful place, great staff, great diving, bad bugs!!!

Room Tip: Rooms with air-conditioning on Anthony's key off main island.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
hillsborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Could not have had a better dive experience. My son is new to diving and had a three day private lesion with the Dive instructor Diana. After three days he was certified and spend the rest of the week diving with me. Our dive master Sherwin and Boat Captain Kenly made all our dives enjoyable. I would highly recommend this resort for family's with children just learning to dive.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Lookout Mtn, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

When my wife and I got married 10 years ago, we made a bucket list of travel destinations and quickly decided that because there were so many places we wanted to visit that we would never return to the same resort twice. However, because of the fantastic time we had last summer, this was our second trip to Anthony's Key Resort (AKR) - and it will not be our last.

Part of what made this such a fantastic experience for my wife and I was that our 8 year old son had such a good time. AKR, in a brilliant move a few years ago, came up with an idea for "Dolphin Camp" - giving the children of divers a great option and allowing a family to truly have a family vacation where there is something for everyone - while still leaving plenty of time for families to spend time together.

The diving is fantastic - our boat captain was a guy named Kenly (awesome) and our Dive Master was John Carter (also awesome) - these 2 guys absolutely made our trip. Knowledgeable, experienced, safe - I cannot say enough great things about them.

If you read through these all these TripAdvisor reviews, you'd think the island was infested with Sand Fleas / NoSeeUm's. The first year we came to AKR, hardly noticed them at all. This year we did get bit from time to time, but not nearly as often as you'd think from simply reading these reviews. Suntan lotion and a little repellant will keep them at bay - I wouldn't be too concerned.

Don't waste a bunch of time like I did trying to find / request the ideal room (if you're staying on the key). They all are great and have different advantages over the others. We loved 37 as it is the only one with a deck that extends off the outside covered porch (some bungalows share a porch - ours did not). If I went back, I would pick number 30 as I was able to stick my head in this one (occupied by a couple on our boat) and they had a fantastic sunrise view. Otherwise - they're all pretty much the same. I did create a 10 minute youtube video where I walked around the key with my GoPro. Very amateur - because you can't post URL's here, just go to YouTube and look for Anthony's Key Resort and my name (Matt McLelland) - I have a channel there. It'll give you an idea of what everything looks like.

A few diving suggestions. Definitely do the optional (optional = more $$) shark dive - I dive with sharks every month in our local aquarium (I'm a volunteer) and thought I'd been with sharks enough - but this really is a great show. We also did the optional dolphin dive - we'd done it the previous year and really enjoyed it. In both instances, you have a controlled close up experience with them in the training area - meet them, touch them, learn about them. Then they take you 5 minutes off shore and you dive to 60 feet to a big sandy bottom and they're supposed to follow you out and play with you. In both instances, the dolphins don't show up until the last 10 to 15 minutes (they advertise it as a full 40 minute dolphin experience). We felt kind of cheated since we'd done it twice with similar results both times. Talked to other divers who also shared our experience. Bottom line - definitely do it once. But unless they offer some sort of option to let you dive a second time if you don't get to see them much the first time, I'd skip it.

The food is OK - not great - but I never went hungry. They are VERY good about special requests and special ordering. One morning I ordered something that wasn't even on the menu and they were able to accomodate. The servers are fantastic (Selase, Saul, Perry were our favorites). The food was better last year than this year. I would like to see more local dishes, freshly caught fish from the island (all their seafood comes from the mainland), and local fruits. Don't get me wrong - the food is definitely good - just not great. I've shared more detailed opinions with their management.

A few other comments. Very laid back - no need to bring anything other than bathing suits and tee shirts. Very relaxed, slow paced. Bring lots of sunscreen - you can purchase spray cans in their gift shop for $30 USD!! Bring cash for tips - and if you're European and not used to tipping, know that part of their income depends on this. Wireless internet is free, but not the fastest in the world (watching streaming Netflix will be impossible). If you have a GoPro, get a red filter and an extendable pole - the 2 most forgotten items on our boat!

Bottom line, this place is fantastic. The diving is great. The staff is great. The island is beautiful. The resort owners give alot back to the community - they really are great people. We will definitely go back and I would highly recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: All key rooms are great - if you're a sunrise person, look for rooms on the East Side.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Kennewick, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Our cruise ship stopped in Roatan and we went to Anthony's Key Resort for the Dolphin Swim and Snorkel tour. Our trainer was very knowledgeable and informative. The groups for the Dolphin discovery were limited to 10 which was just right. After the trainers did their part a group of ~ 20 swam and snorkeled with the dolphins and it was wonderful. I would recommend this to any dolphin lover and if I ever make it back there again will certainly go again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Roatan, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I did my Instructor course with Tati Pereira-Hughes at Anthony's Key. I am from La Moskitia, Honduras and am the first PADI Instructor from La Moskitia. Spanish is my second language and English is my third so the course was not easy for me. Tati was very patient with me giving me enough time and support to ensure my success at the Instructor Exam.

I could not have done it without Tati at AKR and recommend Tati for anyone's Instructor Development Course!

Hice mi curso de instructor con Tati Pereira-Hughes en Anthony. Yo soy de La Moskitia, Honduras y soy la primero Instructor PADI de La Moskitia. Español es mi segunda lengua y el Inglés es mi tercera por lo que el curso no fue fácil para mí. Tati fue muy paciente conmigo dándome tiempo y el apoyo suficiente para garantizar mi éxito en el Examen de Instructor.

No podría haberlo hecho sin Tati en AKR y recomendar a Tati como Instructor Development Course!

Gracias Tati!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Lawrenceville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

My boyfriend and I visited Anthony's Key for a day of scuba diving during our Spring Break, it was fantastic! Pete was our instructor and aside from being gorgeous (don't tell my boyfriend) he was very knowledgeable as well as patient. We ended up in a group of about fifteen people - did the class for the hour- then it was on the practicing. There we were split into groups of five to master the basic skills for scuba diving, then onto the diving. We got to explore the reef at forty feet, saw wild dolphins, beautiful sea turtles, lots of colorful fishes. By the end of the dive my boyfriend and I were the only ones left in the group (some couldn't complete the skills others the pressure was too much for them- one refused to put her face in the water- not sure why she came). Overall I really enjoyed the experience, it made me want to get officially certified. Well worth the money!
My only negative comment about this was the dolphin arena- it seemed small and sad. I'm a huge animal lover and dont believe in cages, nor do I support zoos and aquariums.

Room Tip: We just did a day trip here.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

What a great week at the resort. We have been coming to AKR for 20 years and it only gets better as time goes by. This is a great resort for great diving. The food is great, the staff is great and the accommodations are great.
The interactions with their guests are great with their BBQ cookout, crab race, dolphins. Etc
Will always go back
The only problem you will have is at the airport because it is so packed because everyone is trying to leave.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!