“great place with a few "must-mentions"” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
SAVE 20% on your Stay!
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sandy Bay
NJ
“great place with a few "must-mentions"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

Anthony's Key is a terrific resort that offers superb diving. It might be helpful to mention a few things to consider that may make the experience even better if you're forewarned.

RAINY SEASON- We visited end Sept/Oct at what is the "rainy season". During our week there, we had 1 or 2 days where it was cloudy all day with intermittant rain. This may not matter to some who have no interest in sunning themselves but if that's part of your plan, you need to be aware. Also, the wind caused a couple of afternoon dives and one night dive to be cancelled. Even some of the morning dives we were able to do were on the other side of the island requiring a long, rough boat ride.

BUGS- It's mentioned by pretty much everyone who has reviewed the place and it bears mentioning again. Bug juice is an absolute 'must', they'll get ya! Some folks are affected more than others but its safe to say that anyone who skips protecting themselves will pay a price. There were some people that had welts, especially women, that were downright frightening. Having said that, there is a Cactus Juice repellant that is sold in the gift shop that works great and if you do get bitten there is a wonderful salve derived from Cactus that will lessen the affect.

CUSTOMS/AIRPORT- By all means, when arriving at the place, try and get on the customs line as soon as you can. There were only 2 agents working and neither had any inclination to hurry. Big deal??? No, not really but nonetheless, if you've been flying for numerous hours, it might aggravate you. When leaving, again, the lines don't move too quickly.

TIPPING- I would say that it is well-deserved as most everyone is terrific but you need to budget a fair amount of $ for the end-of-stay tip fest. The people work hard and depend on your largesse so you should expect to part with a few hundred $ when all is said and done.

CHOICE OF BUNGALOW- It may not matter to some but when boooking your vacation, do review the map of room choices and request one that meets your taste. Some are over water while some are set back. The sunsets/sunrises are terrific so you may wish to pick a room that faces your preference. Again, some people think of a room as a place for sleeping only and couldn't care about anything else while others have specific interests.

Stayed October 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

Anthony's Key Resort is a must do for all scuba divers. This is one of the most relaxing, quiet and well-managed resorts I have visited.

The hospitality staff at AKR is friendly, helpful, efficient and they seem to genuinely enjoy their jobs. The bar tenders, waiters, front desk, drivers, etc. are absolutely pleasant to be around. They all seem to be concerned that every guest enjoys their stay at AKR and that they all return to the resort.

The food quality, quantity and variety are excellent. Each day they offer a full breakfast menu with oatmeal, eggs, french toast, pancakes and a buffet with sweet rolls, fruit and cereal. Hot breakfast was usually served in about 5 minutes.

Lunch consisted of two or three entrees plus soup or salad every day. Again, lunch was usually served in 5 to 10 minutes. Grilled chicken salad, grilled shrimp salad, fish sandwiches, hamburgers and club sandwiches are typical lunch meals. AKR makes some delicious soups.

Dinner was usually two entrees such as pasta, enchiladas, grilled chicken, coconut shrimp, blackened fish, etc. I can't even remember all the things they offered for dinner. Soup or salad and dessert are offered with every dinner.

Enough about food . . .

The rooms at AKR are large, private and very comfortable. The king sized bed was better than the one at my house. Bathrooms are large and there is a large closet to store clothes. Each superior room has air conditioning and a couple of ceiling fans. I highly recommend a superior room on The Key. Unless you really want to rough it, pay the minimal upcharge for a superior room with air conditioning. It is pretty hot and humid in Roatan. Try to get a room built out over the water. It has a great view and better breezes.

There are no TV, radio or phones in the rooms. That's not all bad unless you just have to have a TV blaring in your room all the time. There is Internet at the main lodge. It is spotty, but gets the job done. There are three computers and Wi-Fi available.

Diving . . .

The dive operation at AKR is excellent. The boats are well maintained with a skilled captain and dive master. The dive masters complete the entire dive with the group. I have been to some resorts where the dive master takes you on a 15 minute tour and then waves good bye and you're on your own.

We had several bad weather days with high waves and wind. AKR went to great lengths to allow us to dive. One day we boated to the south side for diving. The next day they drove the boats over to the south side and provided bus transportation for the divers. They really went out of their way to accomodate the divers.

There is locked onsite storage for dive gear at night. You take your gear off the boat and rinse it before placing it in a locker. Not exactly valet diving, but you don't have to carry your gear very far.

Your underwater experience will include thousands of reef fish, palagics, eels, lobsters and crabs. We saw a lot of crabs. The dolphin open water dive is a "must do". It is well worth the additional cost. Having the dophin research center at AKR is definite plus. You can see dolphins any time of the day.

Entertainment . . .

One day they have a bar-b-que lunch on the key. One night they have a party on the key with a live band, food, drinks, fire dancers, crab races, limbo contest and dance contest. This is a really fun night. One day they take you to the south side of the island for a picnic lunch between morning and afternoon dives.

The pool bar and main bar are pretty much hot spots for action in the afternoon and evening. Most everyone migrates to the bar before dinner. A couple of nights there was a live band at the main bar.

The BUGS . . .

Have you heard about "no see-um" bugs at Roatan? I developed a theory, but it is strictly unscientific. It seems that the bugs attacked women mostly. Women wear perfume, skin lotion, colorful clothing and sandals. I don't know if this is the answer, but most men were not bothered by the bugs. Maybe it's just body chemistry.

My advice is for women to wear bug repellent on their arms, feet and legs all the time while in Roatan. I only used it when leaving for dinner and got bit maybe two times. It may be related to the time of year and I can only speak for October, but there were biting bugs.

Getting There . . .

Painful. We waited 1-1/2 hours to get through customs when entering Roatan. It is obvious that the government there has not realized the value of tourist dollars. There were two very slow customs agents for two plane loads of people.

And yes, leaving was just as painful. We arrived at the airport at 10:30 a.m. and we walked away from the Continental counter at noon. Another 1-1/2 hour experience leaving the country. And this was after AKR obtained our boarding passes for us.

Roatan needs to send their customs agents to Cozumel for some training. It is obvious in Coz that their main goal is relieving your wallet of U.S. dollars as soon as possible.

In SUMMARY . . .

Anthony's Key Resort is one destination that I plan to visit again in the future. It is a fun-filled week, with good food, good lodging, good diving for a reasonable price. Do it!

• Liked — Secluded rooms built over the water. They are quiet and private.
  • Disliked — Getting into and out of Roatan. The airport is experience leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rowlett, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

We just returned from a 1 week stay and are already planning a return trip! First, the dive operation was very smooth and low pressure with a wonderful dive master, Marvin, and Boat Captain, Kenlee. My husband and I, along with another couple we travelled with, all felt that Marvin & Kenlee went above and beyond on all our dives. The diving was great with the exception that the dolphin dive was rather anticlimatic as the dolphins were more interested in their trainer than interacting with the divers. Oh, well, we were glad to have done it anyway. The food was fair to good and was plentiful. After 3 dives a day, all you really care about is re-fueling anyway. The drinks & beer are a bit expensive but you can go into Coxen Hole by taxi and buy what you need there and keep it in your fridge in your room. Speaking of rooms, I would only plan on staying in a key superior room; well worth the extra cost. We stayed in #55 & #56 that faced Bailey's Key and the sunset. After the last dive and before dinner, we would gather on the private over water terrace and enjoy a beer or cocktail and watch gorgeous Roatan sunsets. Waiters William & Larry were so personable and learned very quickly our preferences. The bartenders were also very appreciated and accommodating - The guys drank beer but all us girls could tell the bartenders was we wanted one of those "blue drinks". They came up with some great concoctions! Lastly, do not use anything perfumed and use your deet bug spray liberally! I came home with >50 bites and some are still itching fiercely. Not everyone is affected as I was but enough were that I wouldn't take the chance. 1 week and 18 dives later, we were all able to return to our high stress lives feeling refreshed and renewed and that's what it's all about. Can't wait to go again!

• Liked — Location over the water facing the sunsets
  • Disliked — No-see-ums!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

You will want a Key Superior room it is worth it. We requested a "hut" that was more remote. They put us in #39 which not only had AC, a fridge and the patio with hammocks but also it's own sun deck with a couple of lounge chairs. It was perfect for us. You could sit on the patio and watch the dolphin dives just offshore.

The diving was great and so was the crew. They varied the dives so there was something for everyone. My husband had 3 or 4 tanks which had small air leaks at the neck and noticed some others in the water with the same problem but other than that there were no problems. We liked having the lockers also.

The food was good and varied, there were a couple of days that did not have much selection but most days was better than I expected.

Everyone at this resort was friendly and accommodating. However I agree with what others have said about the tipping, they put a lot of emphasis on it and it's over the top. Luckily we read about this on Trip Advisor and were prepared with enough cash. In most cases we gave the money to the individuals and did not wait till the last day/envelope thing except for the office and back room people.

We did the Dolphin Trainer for a Day which was fantastic. We learned a lot and had a great time. This was probably the highlight for us.

Bring your favorite beverage from duty free or get a cab and head down to West End instead of buying drinks at the bar. There is a fridge in the room and an ice machine on the island so sitting on the patio having a sundowner was very relaxing. There is a small store where the locals go to buy cokes and beer close by. It is down the dirt road past the Museum on the right.

Spray the hammocks with bug spray before using them, one of ours had bugs and my husband had bug bites all over his back from day one. Someone later told us that was why.

We rode the horses one day. They are in good shape and as calm as any I have ever seen. A couple of times dogs ran up barking and they didn't flinch or even look at them.

Timing is everything. We don't have kids and it's a very kid friendly place. In the summer they have camps for the kids while the parents dive. A brilliant idea but we will never go back in the summer.

Overall we loved the place and would go back. They know how to run a smooth operation.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

We just returned from Anthonys Key. We originally booked a one week family dive vacation sea camp that was being hosted by Margo Peyton of www.kidsseacamp.com. This was our third location that we have visited as part of the Sea Camp program and over the week it easily became our family's clear favorite. I cannot say enough about the location, dive operation, staff, food etc. On the final day of our trip we even had a chance to visit the on site clinic. The doctor advised that we do not fly for 72 hours and thanks to a complete lack of cooperation by Continental Airlines we ended up having to stay for an additional week. This is where AKR really excelled. The owner of AKR and Margo(founder of Kids Sea Camp) both got personally involved and between them they were totally accommodating. What could have been a bad experience easily became one of the best travel experiences we have ever had. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to AKR and Margo at kidsseacamp.com and I cannot recommend both of them highly enough!!! Thank you AKR and Kids Sea Camp!! We will definitely be back!

• Liked — Key Superior room location, location, location!!!
  • Disliked — A room on stilts over the carribean....what's not too like!!!!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

AKR is a wonderful dive location. It is an all inclusive which I was leary about because I have stayed at ClubMed's in the past and felt like cattle. It was completely different at AKR. You find your own table, order off the menu, staff remember your name etc.

There were allot of kids there, which I would have preferred there be less of, but hey it was June! For couples or those who would prefer to skip the family thing, travel in the off months.

My room, a Key Superior was quaint, well kept and quite comfortable. It overlooked the water and we got great breezes while sitting out on the Lanai and having our "happy hour" after a day of great diving.

Dive crews were very helpful and friendly. The diving wasn't as great as Honduras could be, but then again it isn't 1995 anymore! Just not as many fish as I had remembered.

Great vacation though, swam with the dolphins, did a shark dive and relaxed allot.

Definitely recommend

• Liked — Great staff and food.
  • Disliked — Lots of bug bites - wear your Deet!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

I was advised to skip the noise of West Bay and West End and check into this resort. I was told I would enjoy the seclusion and there wasn't much going on the neighboring towns that I would miss. Unfortunatley, I felt stranded at AKR and I certainly didn't avoid noise. Having already paid for a dive package, I was a capative guest. Most of the other guests were families with young children (sibling arguing, parental yelling, crying todlers, etc.). AKR was far from relaxing.

I lasted three days before heading into West End and West Bay for a change of pace. The restaurant selection was surprising and dining there was relaxing. I also found better roooms (more space, desk, hardwood floors, tv, AC) there for a third the cost (minus the dive package). My room at AKR, standard key, reminded me of my cabin at summer camp.... minimalist (in a bad way) and a bit run down. Not sure what guests are paying for at AKR.

I usually avoid all-inclusives. I wish I would have avoided this one. There was no compelling reason to stay there.

• Liked — Managed well
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!