AKR knows how to make your diving experience an Event.
It starts off with transportation available from the Airport to the Resort & a Welcome Drink.
We think we had the best accommodation: Bungalow 39 on the key -with two private patios over the water. Very inviting and exotic. It's probably a good idea to have a flashlight with you- initially. Getting back to the bungalow after dinner, we took a couple of wrong turns the first two nights, - since the key was pretty dark . Not a big deal.
If you have children with you, AKR is the place to be. We observed other guests, who dove on our boats, going to breakfast with their children and leaving their kids with the kids program personnel, so that they could enjoy a day of diving. Later in the week, these guests didn't dive on some of the dives,stating that they were going to dive with their children who just got certified. What a great way to share a dive experience.
AKR has a fleet of dive boats - all in mint condition. You are assigned to a boat during stay- and as a result- had a boat captain and guide who knew you, your skill level, and needs throughout your diving experience. Dive sites were Numerous and Close... They were so close to the resort that going out to the site usually took only 5-10 minutes. The dock was quite big and able to handle the fleet of boats that AKR has. You are assigned a locker for the week/length of your stay so you did not have to bring your gear to your room.
You also get to know the bar and restaurant staff quite well. All were quite attentive to your preferences. Management brought in live entertainment a few nights a week (bands) so that you could relax/mingle with other guests. WIFI available in the rooms.
There is a marine biology school on site. During the summer months, there are clusters of students coming in with chaparones.Many were getting their dive certifications out of the way, but they primarily were in classes and experiencing the dolpin encounter program. My first night there I was mildly irritated when I heard a bunch of teenagers ordering mai-tais (or something like that) at the bar. Upon inquiry, the bartender told me that they were drinking virgin-drinks.HA!
One day there was a lot of people/activity - where the water taxis were bustling A LOT of people to the dolphin encounter program. I learned that a cruise ship docked on the island that day and they arrange excursions to see the dolphins. This did not affect any of the dive dock/operations.
On a night dive, I received a grandiose dose of jellyfish stings to my face and neck. Definitely painful. The boat had vinegar to help with the initial pain, and fellow divers were giving me all the diver remedies they brought with them ..including meat tenderizer, which I gladly tried. After the second day, I walked over to the medical clinic, which was at the end of the dock where they housed the hyperbaric chamber, and got the legitimate/pharmaceutical stuff to help me in my healing. Never in my 20 years of diving have I needed medical assistance, so having this available was wonderful.
AKR definitely offers alot to meet the wide variety of people and their agendas.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the island of Roatan, Anthony's Key Resort is a legendary tropical wonderland where lush greenery rustles in breezy sea air. Pristine beaches rim turquoise waters. And wooden bungalows perched above a tranquil lagoon offer guests incredibly scenic views and a sense of perfect disconnection from everyday life back at home. For over 40 years, this family-run paradise has been home to divers in search of unspoiled waters, and lovers of natural adventure in all its forms.. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Anthony's Key Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anthony`s Key Hotel Sandy Bay
- Anthonys Key Sandy Bay
- Anthonys Key Hotel Roatan
- Anthonys Key Resort
- Anthony's Key Resort Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands