“Perhaps the best vacation we have ever had!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Buy 1 Get 1 Half off!
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Sandy Bay
Denver, Colorado
“Perhaps the best vacation we have ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is the first "diving only" trip we have ever done. I've been thinking about AKR for several years, and this year we finally decided to pull the trigger. Everything about AKR is aimed at making a dive trip easy, and making their guests feel welcome. I had read quite a few reviews, and was a bit concerned about the "rustic cabins". My fears were unfounded. The cabin that we had was beautiful - hardwood floors, vaulted ceiling, and a 15' by 15' deck with his-and-hers hammocks, right on the north shore of Anthony's Key. The grounds are simply breathtaking. The dive shop staff is extremely helpful, and I cannot give enough praise to our divemaster Jeromie and boat captain Jimmy - between the 2 of them, this was the most effortless dive experience I have had. The reef around Roatan will take your breath away. Clear water, abundant sea life and very heathy coral make for a fantastic experience.

The food was not fancy, but it weas extremely good in my book. I loved the soups - everry day was a new type, and I liked all of them.

We willl be back. I wish we hadn't had to leave!

Room Tip: Choose the Superiror room - air conditioning is a must in this climate.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

507 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Farmington, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was one of our favorite trips. It was nice to get away and have a private bungalow with no tv distract us from pure vacation. We didn't plan on doing 3 dives a day but when we got going we couldn't stop. The reef is perfect and the water is perfect. Every dive is different. We don't profess to be experienced divers in fact we had only logged 5 dives before this trip but we logged 16 while at the resort. We loved every one and will be back. The food was good. Don't expect 5 star meals but evreything we eat was good.. We sat on the deck every nigt and watched the sun go down overthe ocean. Loved every minute.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Overall my experience has been great but there were a few glaring flaws. First, in the dining room, avoid anything like pasta with red sauce or chicken parmesan. The red sauce is like molasses mixed with bottled ragu in a blender. It's sweet,syrupy, and icky and tastes nothing like a proper tomato marinara. Second, if you order bacon or sausage with breakfast, be prepared for either choice to be swimming in grease because they don't take the time to drain the grease off. Finally, the ice machine on the Key is currently broken, no ice was in the machine at 9pm, 10pm or 11pm on a normal night.....

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Let me start by saying I rated this resort "very good" instead of excellent for one reason only - the food - and I will get into that later. My opinion of food quality is definitely biased as I am a bit of a gourmet cook so keep that in mind during the review.

We went to AKR for one reason - the diving - and it is truly a divers paradise. The airport & customs was a breeze and even the security at the Roatan airport was extremely friendly. The driver from the resort was very helpful and courteous, and they load all of your bags for you directly from the security screening. Good thing we double checked the bags because our dive gear was left behind at security, but Gregory took care of that immediately and got our bag on board.

Upon arrival at the resort, we were welcomed by the manager (drinks in hand), where we found out that there was a mistake in our booking. I had booked a superior key room, but we were placed in a standard room. The manager took care of the mix up in minutes. The only thing was we would have to move to a standard room for our last night. Honestly, we ended up liking the standard room better! The only difference between the two rooms is the superior room has a fridge and a/c. Well, with the wonderful ocean breeze you don't need a/c, and a cooler full of ice will replace a fridge in a pinch. The standard room had hammocks and a private deck which was wonderful after a day of diving.

I cannot say enough good things about the staff. They are so friendly, and even when you're late for breakfast, lunch or dinner, they don't make you feel like you're putting them out. The dive team and boats are impeccable. If you go to dive, ask for Frank. Looove him!! He was our DM and is so knowledgeable about the marine life and the reefs, is able to quickly evaluate skill & comfort level and really made every effort to ensure a memorable vacation.

If you go for diving, make sure to do the Carribean reef shark dive. It is totally worth the extra money! Heard the dolphin dive is good too, but if yo're lucky like us, you'll get to snorkel with a pod of wild dolphins instead.

The only down side for me was the food. I admit, I am a bit of a foodie so I am way more critical than most people. Let's just say, I don't normally eat burgers, but that was pretty much my staple for the week. Breakfast was very good, lunch was average, but dinners were disappointing. Meat and fish were overcooked and just plain bland. But like I said, I am really into food and cooking. My husband thoroughly enjoyed every meal, so I'm not saying the food was actually bad, it just was not to my liking.

That being said, we have a no-repeat-resort policy. We're already making plans to return in the spring.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the key. If you get a/c, switch it from "economy mode" to a continuous ru...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

I have to say, this is one of the most beautiful resorts, fabulous service team, with very good food for an all inclusive! The dive operations are top notch as well. I highly recommend an air-conditioned room on the key. Humidity is very high and I can't imagine trying to sleep withou a/c in August!
We did get evacuated to the other side of the island because of a hurricane. The resort team worked extremely hard to take care of all of us. I am disappointed that we missed 2+ days of diving along with other activities because of the storm, and still paid the original amount, but it wasn't the resorts fault. Also, the manager didn't seem real friendly - perhaps she was just under a tremendous amount of stress. In addition, it would be nice to have at least one fancy dinner during the week and for sodas to be included. But, I have to say, this is where we will stay if we return to Roatan. It is well run!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Montgomery, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We just returned from our 3rd visit to AKR! Let me start that from the time you get off the plane and you are greeted by Gregory, you are in good hands! He assures your luggage gets to your room and you are on your way to AKR where you are greeted by Yolanda (love her) and her awesome front desk staff. They always make us feel like family there!

We stay on the Cay in #41. The bed is clean and comfortable as is the room! The view is amazing and it is so peaceful! The pool bar is beautiful and relaxing-almost spa like!

Eating in the restaurant is like eating in a big tree house (literally) overlooking the water! The food is awesome and they rock the house with their soups-all homemade! Our waitstaff is always the same, Williams, Selase and Saul! Yes, we always bring home Selase's homemade hot sauce. They are attentive, caring and take care of us for our entire stay!

The dive operation is one of the best-anywhere! We love "our" Dive master, John! He is very knowledgeable, professional, FUN and knows where to find all the good stuff! We are NEVER disappointed diving with John. John loves the ocean and marine life and it shows in his enthusiasm & passion! Our boat captain, Rupert, was the best! Both John and Rupert are very accommodating and they take great care of us! The boats and equipment are clean and well maintained and the entire dive operation is 1st class!

Love RIMS and the dolphins! Done the Trainer for a Day which was amazing, but loved, loved, loved the dolphin dive!

One hiccup this time, with another diver, thankful she was not on our boat! As the previous review stated (Awesome new friends!!) she was an unbearable, selfish snit. I cannot help but admire the entire AKR staff in how they handled her. She screamed, cussed, hollered and was downright unbearable (remember, she was not on our boat) and the staff remained professional and calm with her! I understand she is a 'guest' also, but sometimes you just have to let the rotten ones get away!

We love AKR. The facility is a beautiful, clean, accommodating get away with a very knowledgeable and professional staff that always makes us feel welcome! And, we always feel very, very safe there!

Until next time-Happy Bubbles

Room Tip: Rooms on the Cay are spacious, clean, comfortable and quiet-Would reccommend any of the bungalows as...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Olivet, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I worried that our second trip to Anthony's Key might let us down. Last year, we had the trip of a lifetime and were concerned it might not measure up. We were elated to have another spectacular experience! We stayed on the key with air conditioning (you can choose to have A/C) in a perfectly appointed, immaculately clean cabana with gorgeous views. The staff was terrific from the front desk to the water taxi drivers. Our meals (three a day with multiple choices) were great - the beans at breakfast are heaven on a fork.
The first two dives of our trip were some of the best we have had and they continued to be amazing all week. We took advantage of every dive offered and can't thank John and Rupert enough for taking such good care of us. The dive shop does a terrific job grouping the boats according to skill level so as not to have seasoned divers frustrated by novices. Yes, we all started somewhere, however; when you travel to paradise you want to maximize your bottom time! It was nice to be in the water with accomplished divers and a diligent dive master.
We met great people and formed lasting friendships!
Let me stress how impressed I was with the staff's handling of a particularly unsavory individual visiting the resort during our stay. Sadly, this creature single-handedly offended everyone on the resort from the chefs to the guests. She verbally abused the staff daily. It was embarrassing to be an American and watch her behavior unravel. That being said, the staff was gracious and patient. They kept their heads held high and bit their tongues. While we would have all preferred she be excused, they had a job to do and the maintained their dignity doing so. Well done.
It will be difficult for us to book a dive trip anywhere but Anthony's Key!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!