“Why pay more” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Roatan Backpackers' Hostel

You added Roatan Backpackers' Hostel to your Saves list
Roatan Backpackers' Hostel
On the side road next to Roland Hardware | Sandy Bay, Sandy Bay 00000, Honduras   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Canada
“Why pay more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This place is fine, however you can stay somewhere nicer for the SAME PRICE! I stayed in the private room with its own bathroom & kitchen, I couldn't use the kitchen though as all the utensils were rusty and the smell from the drawer when I opened it made me want to vomit, also the fridge is just a tiny bar fridge with no freezer. There is no airflow/breeze and no bars on the window so I didn't feel comfortable leaving my window open which made for hot stuffy nights. Mel is very nice, but I wouldn't stay here for more than a couple nights especially when you can rent a much nicer place for the same price.

Room Tip: Maybe the dorm suites are better than the private suites?
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
hostelMel, Owner at Roatan Backpackers' Hostel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
I'm sorry the kitchen was a disappointment: I wish you would have let me know when you were here! I'll make sure to swap out the utensils, I hadn't noticed they were getting rusty, and I'll give the drawers a bleach out. There's just a mini-fridge, but guests staying in the privates are welcome to use the freezer of the full-size fridge in the communal kitchen: there's never anything in there.
Thanks for sharing your feedback- I"m always interested in improving, so constructive criticism is helpful, though it's most useful when guests tell me right away if there's anything that I can do for them, so that it can be changed while they're here, instead of just for future guests. So if you're coming to the hostel, please let me know if there's anything that you're in need of!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Roatan Backpackers Hostel was one of the best places I've stayed in my travels. Off the beaten path, but still close enough to everything. Mel has a great place, and is very welcoming. There's every type of accommodation that you could want, from dorm-style rooms, to private apartments. And her kids are the best, and make it feel like a very home-like atmosphere. Everyone at the hostel was very friendly, and we BBQ'd on Friday nights. It's right by the beach, where you can snorkel, or watch the sunset. And there's great CHEAP eats around...Marcos spot at the end of the road is a real treat, and I look forward to eating there again at some point in my life. Thanks again Mel, you'll see me again someday!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

If you are looking for a friendly and fun place to stay away from the tourist traps, then I recommend this place. Mel is very informative and will give you a detailed low down of the island. The hostel is a little way out of town (West End), but easily reached by one of the many taxis going past every few minutes. The beach is also a stones throw away and there are some cheap local restaurants you can walk to.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Yo Budget travellers! Dorms, private rooms, large priv.rooms. This place has it if you want peace and quiet with clean maintained washrooms. A $1-$2 taxi ride gets you to West End or Coxen hole for shopping. I enjoyed snorkelling beside dolphins ( free, and a 10 minute walk from hostel! ) and checking out the reef nearby. (devoid of the tourist crowds ) Mel as a hostess is both knowledgeable and friendly. Her 2 boys are awesome and capable of entertaining you in areas I found surprising ( Theyre both super smart! ) if you dont feel like cooking , a 2 minute walk to the main road gets you to a small outdoor restaurant called Golosinas Josue. They have arguably not only the most delicious but also cheapest boleada Ive ever eaten. A must have.

Room Tip: I enjoy my own room, so I would say go for the private room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I spent almost 40 great days on RBP Hostel, first on the dorm and than with my girlfriend on the private double room . It's a great place to stay, calm and away from the West End craziness, when I was there we had BBQ parties at the pool area every friday, I hope the tradition continues, the prices are good and Mel and her two kids are awesome and really helpful! Best choice if you are going to Roatan!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed at Roatan Backpacker's Hostel in March 2013 with three adults and four teenagers. We rented beds in the dorms.

We LOVED staying here! Sure, the dorm rooms were small, but that wasn't a big issue--we still had room to throw a mattress on the floor so we could all be in the same room. It was great to have access to a kitchen and a pool!!!

Mel (the owner and manager) was amazing! She was a huge help with planning outings and activities. Her boys were great too--and we enjoyed having them join our crew.

Thanks again for everything!

Room Tip: The larger dorm room with 6 beds is not only not off the kitchen but also has it's own bathroom!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We came to the hostel hoping to find dorm rooms, like most hostels have. We found not only good dorms but a whole apartment with kitchen at very reasonable prices.

We were lucky enough to spend Halloween and celebrated with Mel's family and the other travellers, what a laugh.

Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: Depending on the nature of your trip you might prefer the apartment.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Roatan Backpackers' Hostel? Share your experiences!