“John Edward” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Captain Ron's Hideaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sandy Bay
Captain Ron's Hideaway
You added Captain Ron's Hideaway to your Saves list
Cemetary Rd, Sandy Bay BI 1100, Honduras   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Sandy Bay B&B and Inns
Brighton, United Kingdom
“John Edward”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I went to Roatan and specifically to Captain Ron's hideaway because of the Trip advisor reports and a friend also said it was a great place to Dive. Well, I was picked up by Ron from the Airport and went via the super Market which was great. I found the apartment to be better than I expected especially at the amount I had paid for the week. Amazing Value so I cant understand the previous writer giving the accommodation a poor. I quite honestly would have been more than happy if Id been given a tent for the cost of the weeks accommodation at Captains Ron's. Mind you any one who complains about Utensils, accommodation and even the diving which is amazing clearly shouldn't be taken seriously. Then to insult Ron by calling him names it is quite obvious that there was a big character difference issue here which is such a pity as both Ron and Carol put so much into helping their clients have a great time. The Island is what it is which maybe a bit rough round the edges and by that I mean the roads are a little pot holed in places and many buildings look like they need some TLC but in a way that is its charm. The place is not swish and done up although there are many improvements happening around the Island. I absolutely loved my time at Ron and Carols and would highly recommend it to all my diving friends, scuba and snorkelling.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

my first impression of Captain Ron was mentally challenging

Facts

The cabana is 100 metres from the shore
The veranda is mosquito netted but there are holes in the netting, so you can't really sit outside without getting bitten
There are barely any utensils to cook with
They supply salt and pepper but that's it!
The tap and shower water is saline
Fresh drinking water is supplied but at any extra charge
The sheets and had towels are worn
Furnishings are dated and tired
This place is in an out of the way spot, difficult to find and you need to take a taxi to get anywhere.
The beachfront wasn't cleaned during our stay. It needed it.
It does not offer good value for money. The property has been shown no love. The host is an inhospitable individual. Stuck in a time warp I guess.....

Previous reviews are refreshingly candid and I'm not writing this particularly to warn people off. It's just that Captain Ron's place and indeed Roatan, may not be suited to the Independent traveller. You want to explore the island, but are advised against hiring a car or riding bikes. There isn't a bus service, so you're limited to taking taxis. Great!!

I have my doubts about the diving also and this was our reason for coming to the island. Hondurans are known for heavily fishing their seas. I dove on Utila and snorkelled off Roatan. Both were disappointing experiences. I think it's all a bit hyped up.

The biggest shock to the system was the trip to Coxen Hole on a cruise ship day. Coxen Hole is obviously one of if not the best beach on the island. How can I describe the hideousness of the scene? Hundreds of people thronging. Breakfast in a hotel daylight robbery at $25 for two people.

CAPTAIN RON'S HIDEAWAY SHOULD BE HIDDEN AWAY.
Feel free to contact me for more information.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
captainron01, Owner at Captain Ron's Hideaway, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
It was hard to believe the wife of the wonderful chef who cooked Christmas dinner for us, wrote this review!
First to address each of your ‘facts’:

- Our cabana is just under 50 meters from the beach (measured today).
- The porch screen does have a few holes – it is on our long “to do” list, although previous guests have not had a problem.
- I explained we had just had a large party and had used utensils etc from all apartments and had not yet returned everything to its prior place. In one of your many emails you said Chef needed sharp knives and an apron which I supplied.
- We also supply toilet paper, a little dishwashing liquid and a scrubbie. I told you to ask if you needed anything. The only thing I recall you requested (it is hard to remember after nearly half a year) is for Italian herbs, which again I gave you. I also recall you borrowed a whisk and you said to me “Chef loves your whisk which is truly a great compliment coming from a real chef”:
- Yes the well water is a little saline which is why most people on the island use bottled water for cooking and drinking. You, like all our guests, had the remainder of the previous 5 gal bottle plus another one free. That is often sufficient for a couple for a week. Most rentals charge double the $2 we charge - we make nothing on water.
- The bed is a very comfortable queen from the States. The futon is less than 2 years old. The bedside locker, fridge, coffee maker and microwave are all less than 1 year old. As you know the TV would not work on your arrival and the following morning we went and bought a new 32inch flat screen one, for which your husband was very appreciative. I only use 100% cotton sheets, which we constantly ask friends to bring us from the States as they are hard to find on the island. I am always buying new towels. I refute the statement my sheets and towels are worn.
- We are ONE road off the main road, 3 miles from the airport– not at all difficult to find. Your husband's email said your flight arrived at 2.45 on Dec 20th – Ron was at the airport and waited 2 hours, in case your flight had been delayed. You had an I-phone, on which you had sent us 11 emails before your arrival and our telephone number in case of a problem – we didn’t hear from you!
- I was concerned about the beachfront and my other guests said “It is Christmas! – take some time off – it isn’t too bad”.
- We truly believe the rate you paid ($450) was the best value on the island for Christmas week. Many places increase their prices for the holidays – we do not.
We sent you an email asking if you would explain what you meant by “stuck in a time warp” and an inhospitable host but we received no reply. We show our place lots of love and are constantly trying to improve it when financially able. We have just tiled the patio off the 2 bed apartment and are installing new windows and a/c in there.

You were not advised by us not to rent a car – we recommend it so that our guests can explore our beautiful island. There IS a great cheap bus service operating 12 hours a day every 15 minutes, which many of our previous guests have used.

How can you have doubts about the diving without even trying it? Many divers return to Roatan year after year. As you know our other guests staying with us at Christmas had all stayed with us before. Your husband came up to the Blue Parrot (where I work part time) frequently with one of our guests. I was always asking after you, because along with my friends and other guests, I wondered why you never joined in even though you were invited.

Yes, West Bay beach (not Coxen Hole as you wrote) is crowded on cruise ship days in high season. West Bay beach is the more expensive part of Roatan with the large upscale resorts. There are many places where you can have a fabulous breakfast for less than $25, (although you knew the price before you consumed, so you could have gone elsewhere).

Finally 1 out of 5 for everything – how mean spirited. My other guest helped me clean – I think she will be surprised. Crowded West Bay is hideous but our location is no good either. We have a comfortable bed in quiet surroundings! – what do you require for good sleep quality? Ron took you all over the island for 2 days shopping for Christmas dinner and offered lifts all the time to the beach etc.

We too wish we had remained hidden from you. However your lovely husband (with your help), did provide us, some friends and our other guests a wonderful Christmas dinner for which we were grateful.
Cold Brook, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Captain Ron's lived up to the Trip Advisor reviews. Sandy bay is a great place to stay. It is a quiet part of the island, the beaches are not crowded and there are lots of birds. The reef is an easy kayak or a decent swim from shore. Ron and Carol are very friendly and make you part of their Island lives. They welcome you to go to their favorite hang outs with them and offer ideas and advice for daily activities. You may want to rent a car if you want to get around easily. The taxis are to find by just walking out to the road. As stated in the reviews the apartment is not perfect but is very comfortable and clean. Everything you need is available and the beach is steps away. It is a great value for the money, If you are looking for 5 star accommodations this is not the place for you but if you are interested in a relaxing vacation with a nice mix of tourist and island living , this is the place for you.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
SAN ANTONIO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Let me start by saying that if you are looking for luxury accommodations, Captain Ron's is not going to be your kind of place. Like Roatan itself, Captain Ron's is a bit rough around the edges, but it is in a prime location and the hosts Ron and Carol will do everything they can to make your stay fun and relaxing.

The location is about as nice as you could ask for - Sandy Bay has few large developments, so the beach is relatively secluded. We probably saw less than 15 different individuals on the beach around Captain Ron's the week we were there. Snorkeling and scuba diving right from Captain Ron's pier is excellent. The reef is about 60-70 yards out and there's a wreck dive that's accessible from shore. A short distance East from Captain Ron's (we walked up the beach before swimming out, but it can be accessed by swimming or kayaking from Captain Ron's) is a Channel (look for the white marker pole) that has a sharp drop off and spectacular coral formations with a large variety of fish.

Sandy Bay is limited on restaurants (the Blue Parrot and Hungry Kiwi are an easy walk), but a quick taxi ride (or a lift from Captain Ron) will get you to West End where there are plenty of bars and restaurants as well as numerous dive operators, fishing charters, etc.. A little further is West Bay (I recommend either taking a water taxi from West End - $3/person each way - or riding with Ron on one of his trips) where there are more restaurants, bars, and activities, as well as some rather nice snorkeling (ask Ron how to get to the nice part of the reef). Captain Ron's is also just a few minutes taxi ride from Coxen Hole where there are two well-stocked grocery stores where you can stock up on supplies.

With regards to the hosts, Ron and Carol are some of the nicest people you'll meet. They did an excellent job of being inclusive without being intrusive. They routinely invited us to join them on their outings and activities but gave us our space when we wanted it. One word of warning - Ron is laid back, but makes no bones about his conservative political views, so if you are a staunch liberal, you might not hit it off with him. But he's not there to argue and he respects that not everyone has the same beliefs, so if you can agree to disagree, you'll get along with him just fine.

We stayed in the 1 bedroom apartment at Captain Ron's. The kitchen is small but very serviceable for preparing basic meals. The AC unit does a pretty good job of keeping the bedroom cool (we found it works best to close the bedroom door rather than trying to cool the whole apartment). The queen size bed is pretty comfortable, and the quiet surroundings make for some pretty good sleep. The covered screened patio and the covered seating area on the pier are good places to hang out in the shade with a breeze when you aren't out doing other things.

Having been to Roatan before, it was not a surprise to me as it was on my first trip, but be advised that, at least in the smaller guest houses and hotels like Captain Ron's, the running water comes from a well and is salty (not as salty as the ocean, but noticeably salty). This means that you'll always be a little sticky even after showering, and the plumbing fixtures are going to have some corrosion on them, even if they are relatively new. On the plus side, your hair will be soft and silky! You're also not likely to forget not to drink the tap water!

To sum things up, if you go to Captain Ron's with the attitude that you are there to enjoy the beauty and fun that Roatan has to offer and want a basic place to stay at a good price with hosts who are there to help you have a great time and you can overlook the fact that the accommodations are not sparkly and new, you'll love Captain Ron's.

Room Tip: If you want AC, be sure to get one of the rooms in the main house as the cabana currently does not h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lacombe, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I hooked up with the Capt on the 21 of Dec.Picked me up at the airport and before we were out of the parking lot I had my first Lifesaver.Off to the market for supplies and of course more Lifesavers.After a short drive we got to the house right there on the beach,beautiful.Had dinner with Ron that night upstairs Carol had to work so Ron started to tell stories, a fun bonding evening.The next day showed what the Capt is all about.I was given the opportunity to ride along on a food drive around the island meeting wonderful people and seeing happiness on all the faces including yours Capt.Thanks.A wonderful evening with both Carol and Ron on Christmas Eve when I was once again invited up to enjoy a GREAT meal with GREAT folks.Diving with Ron was exactly what I was after.Calm waters, great pathways to take you out and back in over the reef with a great wall dive in the midst of it.Wish I was at 65' now.Thanks for the many tours down to the beach to load up on Lifesavers and sightseeing on boat days.Thanks for everything you guys it was everything I didn't expect yet everything I needed.Already been to travel agent for return trip can't wait to come back.And about the Lifesavers if you know you can understand if not, go have fun and have a couple with a great couple.Thanks again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed at Captain Ron's Hideaway in July 2012. Ron and Carol were extremely hospitable and wonderful hosts. He always asked us if we needed a ride or just asked if we'd like to come along with him to the beach or other various places.They included us in almost all their activities and we really enjoyed meeting their friends who welcomed us into their circle. We enjoyed going out to the games nights at the Blue Parrot and Bananarama. Ron, Carol and their friends really enjoy people and having fun.

The accomodations are very comfortable and a good value. We stayed in the one-bedroom apartment and really enjoyed the air conditioning at night and the large flat screen tv. (Bring lots of bug spray as Roatan has a lot of biting sandflies and mosquitoes). I snorkelled at West Bay and West End but found the best snorkelling right outside Captain Ron's Hideaway, with the most variety of sealife I've ever seen. Captain Ron also took us diving at a very low cost and accomodated us whenever we wanted to go.

It was so beautiful to walk outside the patio and have the beach and ocean right there at your doorstep. We also really enjoyed going out on the dock in the mornings for coffee and the evenings for a drink to watch the waves and catch the ocean breeze. At Captain Ron's you can be as sociable as you want or you can enjoy the peaceful solitude of your own private beach. It was hard to leave after meeting such good friends and I hope to return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Auburn, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Upon arriving in Roatan Captain Ron greet both of us at the airport and proceeded to take us grocery shopping and to the local beverage outlet to stock up on our supplies for the week. Captain Ron made me and my fiance feel welcome right from the beginning (I felt like an exchange student being welcomed into someones home). Ron showed us the beaches, took us to some wonderful bars on the beach (Bananarama and Sundowners).
Ron and his wife Carol invited us on our 2nd day to attend Ron's Birthday party, we brought some sauteed green beans (as the party was pot luck) and proceeded to have a wonderful evening. Everyone made us feel as if we were old friends returning to the Island to celebrate with Ron. I can't recall having such a great time celebrating someones birthday.
Ron took us to the Blue Parrot where Carol works and everyone again treated us as if we were old friends. We got to play LCR (great dice game) with some friends of Ron and had a great time (though I did have a hangover the next day...damn you Ron....ha ha ha).
Ron also took us snorkeling and we got to see an eagle ray, a sea turtle and many other wonderful sea creatures. One of my favorite things was I requested to cook for Ron and Carol and they accepted we had a great meal and a wonderful evening. To my honor Carol and Ron asked if I minded cooking on our last night in town, I accepted in an instant, there is nothing that I could have done to thank Ron and Carol for showing my fiance Lisa and myself the most wonderful vacation I had yet on this earth.....Thank You to both of them from the bottom of my heart.
The accommodation were wonderful, the bed was comfortable, the kitchen was the right size for the 2 of us to cook in, our beer and vodka was kept nice and cold in the fridge. The morning view with our coffee was spectacular, the sunsets off the porch were amazing and walking out to the wharf at night was amazing I've never seen that many stars in the sky in my life. I really liked the privacy and seclusion that you do not get with a resort.
When our week was up I was sad to leave, as I right this I'm still a bit blue, wished I was there another week. I plan on returning to Roatan Island, and staying with Ron and Carol two wonderful people that I'm hope I can be confident in saying they are my friends. Love you Guys.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Captain Ron's Hideaway? Share your experiences!