“can't wait to go back” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Sandy Bay
Alexandria, Louisiana
“can't wait to go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Mayoka for a week in Aug. It was suggested by a friend of ours that lives on the island. We traveled most of the island and never saw a better spot. We will definitely go back. The food, service, and view is amazing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MayokaLodge, General Manager at Mayoka Lodge, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Ok - it is time to come back as soon as possible.
the pool deck has been totally renovated and we have a new pool side bar right on the left side of the pool with a stunning panoramic view of our loved Caribbean Ocean.
The new Al Fresco dining area is also finished and it is absolutely adorable. will post some pictures soon!

See you soon - the Island of Roatan misses you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Mayoka Lodge Aug 10-17. If you are looking for quiet accomodations located in a beautiful setting with direct access to the beach, snorkeling, diving and 5-star dining, then Mayoka is the place for you. The lodges are nestled among the tree tops but right on the beach with lovely flowers on the deck and flower arrangements in the common areas and rooms. The infinity edge pool is the focal point of the deck and provides a beautiful atmosphere. Each "lodge" is a separate building with en-suite bathroom and large closet area. The meals that Ben the chef provides, as well as the ladies that provide breakfast, were wonderful. Barbara & John, the managers, go out of their way to make sure that you're comfortable and that your stay is outstanding. They provide a local cell phone and are a wealth of information on boating, diving, island trips, golf, etc. The elegance of the lodge is un-paralleled and worth every penny spent. Additionally, if you request an airport pickup, Alex, an independent driver who works primarily with guests of Mayoka, will most probably pick you up and serve your needs the entire week. He took us on an island tour that included a visit to Mayan Eden Gardens which contains a butterfly exhibit and various animals-including a 4 month of Hollar monkey that I carried around. TranquilSeas Diving is located right next to Mayoka and had an excellent staff-plan to spend about $100/dive including equipment rental. Tim and Michelle, friends of Barbara & John, have a 50-ft boat and we took a full day snorkeling trip with them that took us to nearby islands, including one in which the islanders provide an authentic island lunch. The boat also provided trawler fishing during which I caught my first black-fin tuna. The native people on Roatan are poor so be prepared to see evidence of this. Island kids must be sponsored to attend school after a certain age and a local non-profit organization that helps provide funding is available through Solroatan.org if you are interested. Overall, our experience in Roatan and at Mayoka Lodge was outstanding and we look forward to returning in the future.
Donna & Dave

Room Tip: Each lodge is only 20-30 steps from the pool and restaurant deck so size of the bed is probably the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Donna and Dave,

it was a true pleasure to have you a Mayoka Lodge. While John had a lot of fun playing golf with Dave, we will never forget Donna's attention and appreciation to every detail of Mayoka Lodge that all our staff work so hard for.
Our Frangipani restaurant has now completed the new Al fresco dining area by the pool and your room have been renovated into our new open air pool side Bar. You wold love it!
Hope to see you soon

Maryville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We feel like we stumbled upon a hidden treasure after our one week stay at Mayoka Lodge. I truly do not think I could have imagined a better experience for our 10 year anniversary vacation. Mayoka is self-described as having "barefoot luxury," and there could not be a more apt description. It is luxurious without being pretentious, the first sign of which was the warmth of our reception. John and Barbara are truly committed to ensuring a quality stay for their guests -- and not just at their hotel. It is evident that they truly love Roatan and enjoy making recommendations and personally helping guests arrange tours, as they did for us. I have never stayed anywhere else where someone would go so far above and beyond to help their guests enjoy their stay.

Within the first day, Mayoka felt like home. We lounged on the deck each morning, sipped coffee, and had delicious breakfasts and fresh fruits prepared by Edita, before heading out on that day's adventure. Another pleasant surprise was that we were given snorkel gear to use for the week, as well as unlimited access to the kayaks. Our favorite activity was paddling out to the buoy, tying off the kayak, and snorkeling along the shallow reef right out from the lodge. We saw over 40 species of fish in that area alone!

We enjoyed many different tours, including the dolphin encounter and swim at Anthony's Key Resort (which was amazing!), deep sea fishing with Enry, an island tour with Alex (Mayoka's preferred driver -- also excellent), a kayak tour through the Magroves and snorkeling at Upachaya (excellent again), and a day at West End and West Bay (amazing snorkeling).

The meals at Mayoka were fabulous. We loved the fact that we could show up with fresh caught fish, and Ben, the chef extraordinaire, would gladly prepare it for us for dinner. He asked us how we wanted it cooked. We said, "however you think is best!," and he surprised us two nights in a row with superb meals.

I could go on and on about the beauty of the deck, the rejuvenating serenity of the setting, the comfort of the rooms, and the lush beauty of the property, but what made Mayoka truly special was the people. We left there not just with great adventures and memories but with new friendships as well. John and Barbara, Edita, Elizabeth, Enguel, and Ben are all special people who we miss already and who we plan on seeing again! Thanks so much for an amazing experience!

PS. If you go to Mayoka (which you absolutely should), please be sure to drink LOTS of Edita's mojitos. They are the best. But Ben's are good too. :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MayokaLodge, Manager at Mayoka Lodge, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you so much Bethany! We had such a great time getting to know you guys and were so sad to have you leave! Just waiting on the car wash and next time bring a banjo!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just got back from Mayoka on Saturday 13th July (i.e. two days ago). The place is great. John and Barbara run the ship, and do so with just the right balance of formality / informality that you would hope from a boutique hotel. They are both lovely people who you can tell care about their guests. We arrived on the Saturday to Roatan airport. We had arranged ahead of time for Mayoka to arrange a taxi for us. You don't actually need to do this - there are plenty of taxi's waiting at the airport, and they will transport you to the Lodge for $20 USD (Mayoka charged us $25 for the taxi, so you'll save $5 each way). Once we arrived, we were given a free drink (much appreciated - Pina colada - sublime) and shown to our lodge. We had been allocated Cahoon due to it having the largest of the beds. Unfortunately the first night in the Cahoon was not great - the a/c didn't work very well and was way noisy. Seeing John the next morning, we mentioned that we hadn't slept well due to the heat and the noise. Within an hour, he had arranged for the a/c to be replaced, and upgraded us to the suite in the main house for the rest of the week at no extra expense. It's that level of courtesy and customer service that often goes missing when staying in hotels - this was a generous gesture and much appreciated. The suite was lovely - 4 poster bed, great views of the sea, lovely bath, etc. And the a/c was much more efficient - cool and not noisy at all.

We found ourselves waking up between 7am and 8am naturally most mornings - going downstairs, Alvin and gang were already there doing there thing. Fresh coffee / oj were always ready. Breakfasts were different every day, and VERY tasty - not too substantial but just about right. Maybe I would have wanted a little more before going diving (which I requested one morning and it was not a problem having a couple of extra pancakes) but no complaints!

During the day, activities included chilling by the pool (which is just great - not too warm or cold, great views), diving with the dive school next door (which I'll review separately), playing tennis (the court is FANTASTIC - great quality surface, the flowers / vines on the fences are beautiful and I don't think I've ever played being watched by an iguana up a tree before!), or travelling around the island.

Around the island, we did the butterfly gardens - disappointing - we saw more butterflies at the lodge but apparently they were all dying off because the next door neighbours were burning their trash and killing them off. However, their rescue parrots were beautiful and made up for the lack of butterflies. The Iguana farm was simply stunning - I have never seen anything like it. If you get the chance, just go. Ask the manageress to feed them some banana's whilst you're there - they will just go nuts. We also went to West End to hang-out. The place is a bit of a dive - very tourist oriented and not especially attractive. We had lunch a couple of times at the Lighthouse - food was fine, the cocktails fantastic (have the monkey-lala - it should be made into an ice-cream - simply delicious), and the views great.

We hired a scooter for the time we were on the island from Captain Van's rental in West end. It was fine - we negotiated $25 per day rental for 5 days plus insurance for cash. Some problems starting it in the morning but nothing serious apart from that. The helmets could do with an upgrade though - they were terrible and none too clean - we ended up wearing baseball caps underneath just to "protect" ourselves. Roads on the island are generally excellent - a few potholes but nothing to write home about. No problems with any of the locals, and all happy to provide directions when asked.

You generally won't find decent touristy things to bring home to remind you of your stay - they just haven't caught up with what the market want, which is a shame.

Lunches at Mayoka were tasty - toasted cheese sandwiches, soup and a beer will always make me a happy man regardless of where I am or what I'm doing. But it is the dinner which is the real winner. They've just got a new chef - Ben - who started the night we arrived. The guy is SERIOUSLY talented - the dinners were just to die for. It being his first week in the Mayoka kitchen, understandably there weren't that many choices to choose from (I would say 5 - 6 choices per night) but boy were they knockout. Our favourite included the lobster, crab and prawn risotto, and the filet mignon. We could eat at any time, and only had to give him 45 minutes notice so that he could prepare everything from scratch. Every night, without fail, the food was wonderful, simply wonderful. We drank wine with our meals and they were always great. Eating outside, they had citronella candles which kept the bugs away very effectively without getting in your face.

We were very sorry to leave, and are planning to come back, as this is such a find. We live in Houston and it's only 2.5 hours away.

In summary, the place is great. If I had to criticise it (and this is really me just looking for issues - there aren't any really), my only contention would be not knowing how much drink and food were in advance. We didn't actually know how much we would be charged for dinner until we go the final bill ($34 per head btw). But that is me looking for problems, and it isn't one really.

Recommendations - bring bug repellent with you - you'll need it. The sand flies will bite you during the day and the mosquito's during the night unless you are well prepared. In hindsight, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the scooter - you can get around just as well by taxi. Bring cash with you and leave your valuables locked in the room safe, just to be on the safe side. US $ is king on the island, and cash is much easier to use than credit card. Bring decent suncream as well - I bought Factor 70 and I still got burned in the midday sun, and don't forget a hat!

John, Barbara - thank you for looking after us so well, for being so welcoming, and for your help during the week. The staff are all great, Ben is a fab chef, and we're looking forward to seeing you all very soon.

Room Tip: Cohoon has just had a new a/c put in (the first of the 4 outside lodges). It is much quieter and eff...
MayokaLodge, Manager at Mayoka Lodge, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for the honest review. Since you left we have also upgraded the AC in Cycad in addition to Cahoon. Guests as well as us are quite pleased! We are now distributing menus on arrival per your suggestion. Always a learning process and we love suggestions! New suite being built as we speak--looks quite impressive. Hope to see you again soon.

Cheers

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

First let me start by saying that I am more of a hotel snob. I love amenities. I love a comfortable bed. I love great food. And I love being treated like I am welcome. Mayoka Lodge met my expectations and then surpassed them. Aside from the my basic desires above Mayoka I would say is in my Top 3 places I've ever stayed. My husband and I are what I think is well traveled. We have been to Bonaire ,Turks and Caicos ,bahamas ,cabo. jamaica , Europe, Tahiti , bora bora just to name a few and our stay at Mayoka was to put it mildly EXCEPTIONAL.
I read testimonials before we go and stay anywhere for some insight but typically I find that these are not always entirely true or just a bit exaggerated. Nope not Mayoka. I thought I was spoiled before! Uh no... Now our next stay wherever that may be will have a tough time holding a candle to Mayoka.
When I first booked the room I was a little concerned on the small beach area but I ended up finding myself not even wanting to leave the beautiful and extremely accessible pool ( right outside our room). It was tranquil peaceful and what I consider high end. John and Barbara are genuine hosts. With a great understanding of their customer. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MayokaLodge, General Manager at Mayoka Lodge, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Becky
At Mayoka it all about people.. our great guests have allowed us to simply be ourselves, while trying to deliver the highest hospitality. We are very fortunate to host such a magic boutique hotel and to be able to share its beauty, as well as the beauty of Roatan, with our guests.
Really looking forward to your return!

Washougal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

What a wonderful quirk of circumstances landed us for a stay at Mayoka this month. Now we wish we had been able to spend more time at this lovely and relaxing retreat. The hosts, John and Barbara were gracious and friendly. We felt right at home in an instant (although our home does not have an infinity swimming pool or a beach right out the front door with dolphins just a short kayak away). We were made to feel welcome and were introduced to the two resident cats (they also have two dogs) who were very lovingly cared for. We also met one of the owners and her special orange tabby cat while we sat and enjoyed the sunset on the elevated deck above the treetops. The birds in the trees, the wonderful ocean breeze and natural setting of the location make this hotel one to keep on the top of your list.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MayokaLodge, General Manager at Mayoka Lodge, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Carrie

it was also an unexpected pleasure to get to meet you and have you stay at Mayoka.
We wish you could have stayed longer but if the word got out that you were here, Mayoka might have been full of cats and dogs looking for the same kind attention you offered to our animals.
... parrots talk a lot here on Roatan.
We will never forget the Donkey story you told us.
Come back and see us soon!

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

It was quiet, relaxing, with a beautiful view of the ocean, direct access to beach. John and Barbara (the managers) were amazing! It was conveniently located to food, dive sites, snorkeling right off the beach, the dolphin reserve, and shopping.
Our stay at Mayoka Lodge was better than we expected. Mayoka is not a typical hotel but is more like an upscale bed and breakfast. The five detached rooms are well maintained and clean and the small hotel feels like you've rented the beach house for your personal use. We were greeted with excellent margaritas and a full tour of the hotel while our bags were put in our room, and soon after we met the managers of the hotel who are great people. Every morning, one of the managers would come by and ask us what our plans were. If there was anything we wanted to do, the hotel staff took care of arranging transportation or guides for us. They even gave us a local cell phone to use in case of emergencies or to arrange transportation elsewhere. If there wasn't anything we had planned for the day, someone always had a suggestion on a great snorkeling place, or a friend who was going out here or there - we were even invited to come along with the hotel managers as they went to a place on the beach to meet up with some of their friends. They always had great suggestions for lunch or dinner if we didn't want to eat at the hotel. Breakfasts had coffee, freshly squeezed juice, fresh fruit, and a hot meal. One breakfast we had the pleasure of watching dolphins jumping right out by the pier! Dinner at the hotel was wonderful (it was like we had our own private cook for the night).Pros: It was quiet, relaxing, with a beautiful view of the ocean, direct access to beach. John and Barbara (the managers) were amazing!
Cons: The water pressure in the shower and sink were pretty low, but keep in mind you are on a small island off the Honduran coast.
Location: Conveniently located to food, dive sites, snorkeling right off the beach, the dolphin reserve, and shopping.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MayokaLodge, General Manager at Mayoka Lodge, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Hi Angie!

it was a pleasure to have you and Jason at the Mayoka!
Still trying to figure out the pressure up...but as you said this is an Island and it is not always easy.
We always love to share our "secret hideaways" with our guests and glad you enjoyed Beachers.
Hope you guy can organize you next trip here with your friends.
Keep in touch
John and Barbara

Been to Mayoka Lodge? Share your experiences!