“Great memories!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hospedaje Tipico El Retiro

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lanquin
Hospedaje Tipico El Retiro
You added Hospedaje Tipico El Retiro to your Saves list
Salida a Cahabon, Lanquin, Guatemala (Formerly El Retiro Finca & Lodge)   |
Farnham, Quebec, Canada
“Great memories!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed five nights at El Retiro Lodge in late January, two families with a total of four kids and we all wished we would have stayed for another two weeks! There was a little misunderstanding with our reservation when we showed up, but Josue was quickly able to provide us with a solution and we had the chance to experience the newly painted private rooms! We stayed in the Primavera one and it was beautiful! The kids had their own cabana which was great. They really enjoyed swimming in the current in the river and going in the sauna afterwards! The food was a no brainer - excellent and affordable with a great tab system! The line-up for dinner could be improved I guess because it was hard to be able to eat altogether (vegeterian vs nonvegeterian). The staff was very nice and helpful especially with the kids running around and we really enjoyed the fact that there were local people at front desk and at the restaurant (instead of just in the kitchen or the cleaning of the cabanas). We had our own car and when twice to Semuc and to the caves. The other big highlight of our trip was our day rafting with Kyle and Dave from Aventura Grande - AMAZING! We loved our stay and wished we would haved stayed in Alta Verapaz longer instead of going to Antigua! Hopefully we'll go back next year! Thanks everybody!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Jill-Josue, Gerente at Hospedaje Tipico El Retiro, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Muchas gracias! We are very happy to know you and your family had such a great time with us. We hope you come back soon!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cagliari
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We attempted to stay in this place in November, when we travelled through Guatemala. It was a disappointment, not so much for the place, which appears to be nice, relaxed peaceful (sleeping with the sound of the river!); but for the treatment we received. We called a couple of days before going, to make a reservation. We had reserved a semi-private cabin and were enthusiastic to have to climb a ladder to reach our own little wooden nook. The English speaking owner made sure to recommend to show up, as it was Thanksgiving weekend and he would be full. For sure, we did show up. Pity that when we arrived, at around 5:30 pm, they did not have a nook for us. The guy at the reception plainly said that the people who were staying in our room had not checked out in the morning, they had gone to Semuc Champey and he did not know when they would be back. He said that we could stay in the 12 beds dorm instead (which, by the way, was 10 Quetzales more expensive, per person). We suggested he moved the other couple to the dorm, but he refused to do that. He did not suggest that he would wait for them to come back so that he could ask them to move to the dorm. He plainly said he could not move them, end of story. So, we would end up staying in a 12 beds dorm when we wanted privacy, and spend more than what we had planned to. We decided to leave it at that, and just went to another hostel, which was a real pity as the place looked nice. But we could not put up with such rude treatment.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jill-Josue, Gerente at Hospedaje Tipico El Retiro, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
We are sorry to hear about your negative experience. As one of the managers of El Retiro, I would like to clarify a few things that you mentioned. First of all, it is a problem for us when people leave very early to Semuc Champey without letting us know that they want to stay for another night. For this reason, your room was not available when you arrived ... when people arrive at our hostel, we confirm how many nights they plan to stay, and ask them to please let us know if they want to stay an extra night. The people in your room, quite plainly, did not let us know about staying an extra night and left before we could speak with them. Therefore, when you arrived we were somewhat powerless to get you your room in that very moment. We obviously would not go in their room, pack their things, and remove their luggage just to give you your room. We offered you a dorm bed because that was all we had available and we thought it was better than simply forcing you to leave. And, yes, the loft rooms are Q10 cheaper than the dorms because they are completely open air and are susceptible to cats or birds or any kind of bugs entering them at any hour. For that reason, we price them lower than the dorms which have a locking door and screens on all the windows. If you remember correctly, we clearly offered you to move to a private room the very next night, but at that point you were too angry to even listen to our offers to make things up to you and help you to have a happy stay with us.
Sorry that you think this is such poor management, but the reality is that during such a busy time we only had so many options to offer you at that time. We even offered to pay for your transportation back into town to find another place but at that point you decided to storm out of the office in anger. Please realize that we are never intentionally trying to piss off our guests, although mistakes and misunderstandings can happen in any and every hotel on a daily basis. We hope you enjoyed Semuc Champey and wherever you ended up staying.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

This place is amazing. Point blank. It's quiet, peaceful. You're completely immersed in nature. We took the tubes out on the river and hung out on the dock that sat over it. We took advantage of the sauna too, so amazing with the river right next door.
The family style dinners are a lot of fun, expensive but delicious.
The staff. Is. Amazing. All so funny and accommodating. Too much fun to do the tour with. One night at one in the morning I was terribly ill and they brought me to the hospital and waited with me and brought me back directly to my room. It was amazing amazing hospitality. I would recommend this place to anyone. I also took solace in hearing zephyrs loud music from 2km down the river as I sat in my peaceful amazing lodge down river!

• Stayed February 2014
Jill-Josue, Manager at Hospedaje Tipico El Retiro, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Muchas gracias! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us-- come back soon :)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We have been at El Retiro for 3 nights and have had a lovely time relaxing. El Retiro is the only property we have seen right down on the river and it is absolutely magical to sit all day and watch the world go by. It is only 5 minutes walk from town. We are camping so I cannot comment on the rooms, but we did check out a loft room and it was simple but cozy and looked like a fun place to stay. We enjoyed plenty of drinks in the restaurant, took the Semuc Champey tour and also did the 45 minute tubing trip - all were enjoyable excursions.

Only a couple of things have soured the stay slightly (although not enough to make it 'bad') - we booked the trip to Semuc Champey and were told by staff that the only food available to buy at Semuc was 'dry biscuits'. They told us to buy one of their lunch boxes or we would go hungry. This was not true - there was heaps of freshly cooked food available from locals (roasted chicken and things) and most people in our group (of 28 - a busy day!) were horribly disappointed with their 'lunch boxes' from El Retiro which consisted of an expensive nutella or peanut butter sandwich and a banana. Mostly I think it upset us because it would have allowed us to support other members of the local community if we had known it was available.

Also, a friend was trying to confirm her next hotel booking and was continually stonewalled by staff - being told that the phone 'had no credit' or 'wasnt working'. She was later told that they had called and were told the hotel was fully booked. All lies; I lent her my phone and she was able to make a very short call to confirm there was acually plenty of space. Why make so much hassle for a solo female traveller? It seemed rude to me.

Finally, we were not given any reciepts for our payments to camp and were approached by staff who accused us of not paying. We don't come to Guatemala to steal or rip anyone off and were offended that they would make an accusation like that because they failed to do the appropriate recording on their side. It soured it a bit, but overall I would still return in a heartbeat... it is truly stunning and an amazing place to chill out for a few days.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review-- we appreciate the feedback, both good and bad! I'm so glad you appreciated our location- we feel very lucky to have such a great river-side spot.

To address the bad points you mentioned, I do want to apologize for your disappointments. I'm sorry if a staff member made you feel like there was no food at Semuc Champey, and maybe it was a language barrier, but the truth can actually be tricky. For example, I myself have arrived at the park before around 12pm to see the local ladies packing up their stuff because they've already run out of food. As well, there is typically only one option- chicken, rice, and beans. We tell our guests this to inform them, not to deceive them or rip them off. We don't want them to arrive and go hungry when we know our tour is a full day and very adventure-packed. Also, the tours typically eat their sandwiches at the top of the hike up to the mirador, and it's a slight let-down to have to wait until the end of the day when we exit the park to eat your lunch. I'm sorry you felt the lunch box was so horrible and too expensive- but we do serve them with home-baked bread, a piece of fruit and a packet of cookies. The nutella lunchbox costs Q25, which I have a hard time agreeing is expensive if you saw the prices of Nutella in the supermarket. We keep the lunch boxes simple on purpose- because we know they will be shoved in backpacks and carried around all day- we believe anything fancier than a sandwich, fruit, and cookies is a bit pointless.

Also, I apologize if one of our staff members responded rudely about the use of the phone- I hope again that this wasn't a language barrier, because we call and make reservations for guests on a daily basis without problems. With phones here, we do have to walk to town to put more minutes on them when they run out, and this is the only reason I can believe there would have been a problem- because if this instance occurred at night after the shops had closed and the minutes had all been used, then yes we are stuck. The chances of this happening are so small, as we keep several phones on hand, but I still apologize for it's happening. Lastly, whatever did happen (and I regret that not I nor the other manager was called!) I can assure you no member of our staff blatantly lied to you about a reservation. Our workers are super-friendly, local Lanquineros and have no reason or benefit of lying to you, our guests.

And lastly, if there was a mix-up about payments with camping we again apologize... but again I assure you no one was doing it on purpose to annoy you. I'm sure there was an error committed in our books and probably different people trying to solve the problem. We do write receipts upon request without hesitation. It is not an excuse- just an explanation. I'll see to it that the system is better regulated so that this won't happen to future campers.

Overall, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I thank you again for the feedback as it truly does help us to improve our service.
Safe travels!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I absolutely loved my stay here!
We planed on staying 3 days and ended up staying 9. staff are so friendly and accommodating, at first I thought the buffet was expensive, and then I seen the variety that is offered and was more than happy.
Tubing down the river is a great laugh, and also the best deal was the semuc champey, pay for the tour and get that night free!!!!
We went and checked out the party hostel up the road.... It was nice to visit and then return to this hostel.
All I'd recommend is perhaps straw mats on the floors of the dorms, eliminating some of the dampness and chill in the rooms, and a stronger hot water service.... But that's really thinking of something.
Thanks again for such an awesome stay!

Stayed February 2014
Thanks so much for your review, Nat! Your group was a blast to have around. We're glad you loved your stay and we appreciate the feedback about the dorms -- the humidity is something we battle everyday! Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your trip!
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed here three nights recently as part of our river/kayak tour of Guatemala. The food was delicious and plentiful and the lodging was comfortable. Warm showers were not needed but usually available, regardless. The location is incredible - right on the river and a short walk to town. Access to Semuc Champey, the Lanquin cave, the Rio Lanquin and the Rio Cahabon all were made easy from this central location. But the best part, for me, was the family-like atmosphere. Every night there was a warm welcome to the bar or restaurant. The manager even loaned us her personal laptop so we could self-indulgently admire our videos of the day's (mis)adventures. Onsite laundry and stitching/repair services were easy and good value. The only minor complaint I have is that this place had more cigarette smokers than all other places I stayed in my 14 days of Guatemala touring, combined.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your lovely review! It was a pleasure having you here.
We hope to see you again sometime in the future!
Vacaville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

The evening buffets are wonderful. Good food and beverages are served much of the day. If you want to save money you can walk into town and eat for a fraction of the cost. The setting at El Retiro is beautiful, and there are people of all ages from all over the world staying here. It is a great place to meet interesting people.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are quiet with beautiful views. Some are a bit of a hike to the toilet and shower...