“Worst buffet ever” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Elmina
Seoul, South Korea
“Worst buffet ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2015

For 60 GHS, the food should at least be hot. The kebabs and other food was not kept warm.

They have won a world record: worst pizza I've ever had. The "burgers" shouldn't be called burgers.

The staff is inattentive.

Worst part: they charge 70 GHS for a shot of Jack Daniels in the buffet and 35 in the bar. Other beach resorts charge 6.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Hatfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2015

Arrived at this hotel during the Christmas break as a drive in guest without booking, I was attracted into this hotel by the location, the reception and was pleasantly attracted by the receptionist I meet on duty who took us and show us a room. I made up my mind to stay here but promise to do so after we visited the castle. By the time we returned we met a different reception who was hostile and gave us a different room and differ prize with no functional AC poor location in summary we spend about an hour moving from room to room checking for a good room, we only got their attention when I ask them to refund the money I paid so I can look for another hotel.
Frankly speaking I may never be back here. The hotel is not what I expected, with exception of a few staffs, the service delivery is one of the worst I experince in Ghana.

Room Tip: Check and double check that all facilities are working before you pay.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Accra, Ghana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2014

Elmina Beach Resort is one of the 2 good hotels in Elmina but there is no real access to the beach there . The setting is good , though , and the reception area impressive . However in some of the rooms you need to check that everything is working ( a/c , hot water , power outlets ) . Leisure facilities include a tennis court , squash court , gym and pool but the whole environment gives an impression of not quite fulfilling the promise , e:g: the fountains haven't worked for years .
The dining room is well located and the hotel staff are friendly and helpful . Overall it's good value but not too memorable .

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool or the beach
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

I would agree with many of the reviews already posted. The hotel looks impressive at first glance but falls short once you really start to look around. Having a can of Raid left by the bed was not a comforting first impression of the rooms. The main reason I would not stay at this hotel again is that the rooms are not sealed meaning that mosquitos can make their way in. I woke up with bites on my arms one morning so started to spray down the patio door with Raid and stuff a towel around the door to seal it. The windows to the hotel lobby are left open at night so we could not even sit in the lobby without getting bit or wearing a layer of bug protection.
We also had a regular flood of water in our bathroom along with a strong sewer gas smell so spent as little time in the bathroom as possible!
Staff did try to make the stay pleasant but the facilities were not up to par.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Johannesburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Really, for $170 a night, we felt entirely ripped off. We had actually booked into the wrong hotel. We were meant to have booked ( on recommendations from friends) at the Elmina BAY Resort, not the Elmina BEACH. But hey ho, off we went.

The building is really run down. The website says it was built in 1999 and refurbished in 2008. You would never know, as the decor remains in the 80's. The reception area is quite imposing, but after that, you will be disappointed. Peeling paint, missing and broken tiles, very depressing.

The rooms smell of mildew (I suppose understandable due to proximity to the sea), very dark, old furnishings, broken plug fittings, peeling paint, poor lighting levels.

The TV has limited channels, poorly tuned. The kettle had a 2-point plug, but no adapters supplied. Luckily, we had one for our cell phones. The aircon was hanging on by the skin of its teeth.

Food: Don't. Just don't. We did lunch when we arrived. They had a rather dried out looking buffet, so we opted for a la carte. Granted, we were told by the waiter that it would take longer, but an hour?? For two toasted sandwiches?? Then one dish arrived, and we waited another 15 minutes (and reminded the waiter that we were still waiting) for the second to arrive. Also very expensive for such poor quality.

That evening, we decided, against our better judgement, to have dinner there. We walked into a silent, drab dining room. Rather than wait again for a la carte, we went for the buffet. Limited, poorly prepared food. Even the local dishes didn't look appetising. Meat was dried out and cold (how do they do that?). To be charged GHC45 ($17) for that muck was an insult.

The pool: looks nice, but when you're paying $170 a night, you do not expect to have to pay even more to use it!! Yes, they even charge paying guests if they want to go into the pool area. Just on principle we didn't use it.

Having decided that we would waste no more money on this facility, we ate out the next day. We had a great lunch at Coconut Grove Resort, just 10 minutes drive away. Good food, good value. We took a look at a room there, and it was in good condition. Nice vibey atmosphere, and the same rate per night.

We left the next morning, and were asked if they would see us again. We answered with an emphatic no, and they seemed surprised.

This resort is government-owned, and it seems that they survive on government functions, as they sure don't cater to tourists.

To conclude - there is better value and better facilities in the same area. Go to Coconut Grove, Elmina BAY Resort, both good facilities, and value for money. I have seen other comments on this forum that seem to be saying that it's ok for Ghana. However, when a hotel in Ghana charges European room rates, one expects something at least approaching European standards. Sadly, you won't get anywhere near it at this place. A waste of what could be a fantastic facility with a beautiful beach. The owners should be ashamed.

Room Tip: There aren't any.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I have stayed here many times over the years and for the area it's one of the best places to stay. At best this is a three star hotel in a place only visited by the adventurous. If you have stayed in West Africa for any period of time you know things just don't work seamlessly. The rooms are musty, but so are all the accommodations in the area. Although English is the official language, true understanding is hard to achieve. And, in traditional African custom, expect all locals to over charge westerners.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Accra, Ghana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

The reception on the first night was poor. The ladies at the reception were cold except one gentleman called Alex who was helpful despite all the complaints brought to him. We had to wait for an hour to be checked into a room after travelling all the way from Accra for about three hours. Myself and a colleague had to change our rooms after the first night. My door facing the balcony was old, rusty and unable to lock (making room for mosquitos to freely enter) and her air conditioner was not working. I guess management knows about it so they have provided Raid Insecticide Spray for the rooms. The telephone in the room was not functional and I had to walk all the way to the reception to make a request. The bathroom had rusted pipes, and the bathtub door was faulty. I guess because of the beach waves (which calls for constant renovation). Unfortunately, my personal towel was also taken by a cleaner without my permission and I had to wait for hours to recover it.

The conference package was however okay and the conference room was spacious. I also had my two blouses ironed for free.

Personally, I will not recommend this hotel to you until they make an effort to renovate.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to Elmina Beach Resort? Share your experiences!