“Quite pleasant” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Cape Coast
oslo
“Quite pleasant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

We ended up here after a long drive from Accra, via Kakum and Hans Cottage. Overall i was quite satisfied with the hotel. The rooms we got had a view of the beach and Atlantic. But it's quite noticeable that maintenance has been neglected for a while. Mostly everything metal is a bit rusty, the balcony doors wasnt possible to close up good, so the atlantic wind was very much in our room. Not a really a problem in itself, but of course this also is an opening for mosquitos.
The pool area was very good, with a nice view of the atlantic as well. The service was good enough. Price was 120 USD a night for a double-room.

Room Tip: make sure to get one with a view of the sea
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

I really hated this place. The interesting thing is that the facilities aren't that bad. The location is great, right in front of the beach. And the rooms are spacious, with A/C. The food was also okay, if nothing special. But the service was so poor, even by African standards, that we kept running into problems that nobody seemed willing to help out with. E.g., they only put one towel in all double rooms. We had to ask three times before getting a second towel. The next day we came back in the afternoon and all the towels were gone. So again we had to ask. When we told the cleaning people, they laughed at us. Others traveling with us had the same problem. The internet did not work in the rooms at all--it only worked from the lobby. When we first got to the room, the floor of the bathroom was littered with large dead ants (whoever cleaned the room never bothered to remove them). The shower was a nightmare as there was no pressure at all (quite literally a trickle of water--much worse than in the other three hotels where we stayed). Most of these things are not uncommon in African hotels, but this is a place that charges western prices and pretends to be a western-style resort, so it's especially annoying that they're not making any effort at all to deliver good service. I would never want to stay here again (but if nothing else is available, booking this place won't kill you).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Lagos, Nigeria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

I booked the hotel online because it was close to the Elmina Castle which I intended to visit and because the pricing was reasonable. However I found the hotel, though magnificent in appearance BUT very run down and therefore highly unimpressive. The room was mouldy and damp with ants crawling all over the bathroom. My room looked and felt like it hadn't been used in months, much more daily cleaning. Thankfully, I spent only a night there!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

At first thought I was shocked at the price. But once inside I was very pleased. The view of the atlantic was awesome. The sunset was one of the best I have ever seen. The staff was well versed and friendly. A short walk along the beach ( rocks to sand) and there is a cool private white sand beach. Not to shabby you guys!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for a few days. How we regretted it. The worst place ever. Rude staff at the reception, who had no regard as to how to treat you. I don't think they have ever heard of customer service. Our friends who stayed next door had a broken lock, which over the course of days was pointed out everyday but never fixed. The first rooms we were shown smelt terrible and had mould on the walls.Make sure you ask to see the room before you accept. Did they really think we would stay in a mouldy room with small children!! At breakfast it took them 45 minutes to cook two sunny side up eggs for my daughter. If you don't get in early for breakfast half of the food is gone, and they don't replace it. Plus the staff were helping themselves to the food even before the guests had finished breakfast, maybe that's why they ran out. Will never go there again. Wish we had booked THE COCONUT GROVE.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

Beautiful setting shame about the dishonest staff and the indifferent attitude of management to the problem

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Abuja, Nigeria until I move back to the UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

I am not sure where to start in describing my experience of this hotel. I had booked an executive double suite with an additional bed for my child at this hotel. On arrival I was shown to a suite that had a painting that had fallen off the wall and twin beds that had been made up and pushed together.

With my child, the room was a 10 minute walk from the reception. The air conditioning was broken and fans had been installed in both rooms of the suite. The room appeared to be dirty and the floor felt grainy. When I attempted to complain about the room the staff member to whom I was speaking would not get the general manager and kept running off, to attempt to remedy a problem before listening to all of my complaints.

I was moved to a better room after the first night but the holiday fiasco did not end there. During my 4 night stay the pool area was hired out to a local student group for a party. Although the party was closed down by about 8pm it had meant that during the afternoon my child had not been able to enjoy the pools for fear of being jumped on by a drunk teanager. I expected that the next day would be better but at 10am when I went to the pool arear there were bottle tops and broken glass all over the edges of the pool and part of the private beach. The pools were full of weave (african fake hair) and one pool had been closed for a chemical treatment (so dirty were the revellers). A complaint was lodged to the shift manager who assured me that it would be clean shortly. More than two hours later and there was still broken glass at the poolside.

The food was usually just about warm and lacked varierty. Expect fried plantain, fish and chicken with rice and salad and not much more.

The hotel appears to not take any time to clean the local beach area. There is a lot of plastic waste washed up onto the beach and it can also be seen in the rolling waves. Not an appealling site. If you look accross the bay there is a lovely view of the local fort. Don't look down a the ocean and beach.

The thing I liked best about this hotel was checking out. Having made so many complaints the four night stay cost just over $25. The thing i liked least was the constant agrevation required in order to have the various problems that we encountered solved.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Been to Elmina Beach Resort? Share your experiences!