“55minutes for toast but cleanish” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Prospect Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cape Coast
Prospect Lodge
Save Saved
You added Prospect Lodge to your Saves list
PO Box AD 1181, Cape Coast, Ghana   |
Ranked #10 of 18 Cape Coast B&B and Inns
London
“55minutes for toast but cleanish”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We were travelling with a friend and stayed 2 nights @ Prospect Lodge. The single room our friend had was miserable and small but he was happy with it, as it was luxury ''compared to what I had up North'' he said cheerfully, meaning Mole Motel. Our double was also drab but bigger. You pay for what you get - the room was drab and tired, with no remote for the air con and intermittent tv - but let's face it, you don't come to Ghana for the telly.

The staff were friendly and concerned when 2 out of 3 of us were sick. But... the breakfast was a problem - just plain toast took 55 minutes. The waitress was '' on my way, coming'' for a good 40 mins before hand. I asked if the toast was from Lome but the sarcasm was lost. Still, it cheered me up.

In the room we had those blanket things which are sewn into a quilt cover which means they are not washed in between guests which is a bit grim but that's why I always travel with a sarong.

A great location but for those with your own transport, the steep unmade rutted road was a challenge for an under-powered 12 yr old Kia. In fact we had to pay some guys to stick chocs under the car and push.

So set the bar low, stay there and enjoy a quick walk into town. Oh, and take ear plugs. Despite the dreadfully slow service, the kitchen staff start shouting at 5am (the other reviews about rooms overlooking laundry/kitchen/general noise are true and security for the rear door to our room was a single bent bolt).

Room Tip: go for one upstairs in the main block where it will be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

A great place to stay in Cape Coast! This may be rated a 1 Star Hotel, but the staff is most definitely 5 Star! The food is also wonderful and the place is really really clean. There were 4 in our party and we had 4 rooms - all of us very pleased with your stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Buje, Croatia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I don't know if the owners changed or if we weren't as lucky as other people, but our experience was horrible! It was 5 of us: the single room was real small and the windows were right where they did laundry, the 2 double rooms were real small. All the rooms had A/C without remote control (only 2 possibilities: freeze or real hot), no place where to put the mosquito net, no sheets (we asked some but they said we couldn't have any because we had AC rooms and we already had the blanket) and they all were quite dirty. And the hotel is not that cheap. Furthermore, the girl from the reception wasn't polite at all.
On the other hand, the girls of the restaurant were very nice with us and the location is the best of all.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

We paid $30 for our room which is one of the cheapest places we stayed in Ghana. The location is very ideal if you have business to do in Cape Coast or want to tour the Cape Coast Castle. Our biggest complaint was that the bathroom was dirty and leaked water everywhere so their was always a grimy film on the floor and shower. Additionally, while there was air conditioning several of the window panes were missing, so it got hot during the night and we could hear loud banding early in the morning from the kitchen outside.

I know a lot of people have given this hotel good ratings, but we had a bad experience. We checked out and moved to the Bridge House in Elmina which was slightly more expensive, but well worth the money.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Lagos,Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

my trip to cape coast was full of anticipation because i really needed a good an affordable place to chill and relax for 4 days and i sure did find one. Prospect lodge was super cheap,very friendly staff, excellent food and very close to the cape coast slave castle and other cape coast attractions. i stayed in a single room and it only cost 25cedis per night(about 17dollars) and it came with free breakfast too! the room was small and very comfortable. and clean too. the a/c worked perfectly well and they also had hot and cold water bath. All these for 17$ per night. The food was another very good part of the hotel. A plate of rice and beef stew cost 6cedis! That should be around 4$! service was prompt and very professional. when i needed anything like finding my way around cape coast the staff their really went out of their way to help me out. i read lot of reviews on trip advisor before going to cape coast so i decided ro write this one to help intending travelers out. enjoy!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

The staff were very friendly and helpful. I reserved the rooms ahead of time, but forgot the confirmation notice. I was worried that they would say my rooms were not ready, but when we arrived they welcomed us without hesitation. Very nice staff. There were two beds to a room and nice bathroom. Rooms were clean. Location was close to everything we wanted. Meals were very nice on the patio. We found it relaxing and I plan to go back again this year.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

Let me preface my review by saying that I think a lot of what makes a hotel good, or bad, has to do with what you were expecting as well as other factors such as how you are feeling. This must be especially true in Ghana where you may often be feeling a bit ill in the stomach!

I had a horribly single night in the prospect lodge. After one night, I moved out down the road to the quiet Almond Tree nearer to Elmina.

My room was on the ground floor and the window pointed directly out onto a cement post. The lock on the door had clearly been beaten in a couple of times because the wood was splintered and it barely held the door closed. There was a small tv which did deliver CNN (I watched Sadam Hussein be executed in the Prospect Lodge). The bed was very uncomfortable with dirty sheets and no blanket. There was a small air conditioner which worked very well but had no middle setting - so I had a choice of sweating or freezing and without a blanket to moderate this with. The room was very tiny with one dim lightbulb so reading in the evening was not a good option. All night long there was a tremendous amount of noise including yelling and I barely got any sleep. I do think the bathroom was ok though.

The location is excellent. I arrived via tro tro after departing from Kokrobite (Big Milly's). I was very disoriented when I pulled into the tro tro park but I asked a young police officer who with great seriousness walked me all the way to the hotel - and it wasn't very far. From the hotel you can easily walk right down the hill and into downtown and then down to the fort or the beach. So that is the good part.

I would recommend this hotel as long as you know what you are getting into. This is a good place to lay your head, especially if you are with a friend. It DOES have tv, ac, and functioning ensuite western bathrooms. But it is not relaxing (to my opinion) and would not be the best choice for a woman travelling alone.

As far as food, like I said I didn't stay long. But on my one morning I did enjoy a delicious breakfast on the patio overlooking the entire city with the agama lizards all around doing their pushups.

• Stayed January 2007

Been to Prospect Lodge? Share your experiences!