“lovely location, good food, limited public transport” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Kaveka
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   BP 373, Maharepa, French Polynesia   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Maharepa
Margate, United Kingdom
“lovely location, good food, limited public transport”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

bungalows clean, spacious, with fridge and safe(charge). sliding patio door to covered terrace on most(good in thunderstorms) with wooden easy chairs and table. plenty of storage space, flat screen tv(only french language channels of course!).
ac available in mine at an additional charge. only problem a smell from sink/shower when first used in the morning which eased after half an hour or so
right on cooks bay, small beach but crystal clear water.
supermarket about 15 minutes walk also restaurants/cafes/atm/other shops etc
bus stop at property on both sides of road but very limited public transport. basically meets fast ferry (sometimes, but not always, traditional ferry) so leaves about 40 mins before fast ferry and arrives about 20 minutes after arrival to go to the other resort areas.
does not provide a round the island service, you need to rent a bike, car(expensive) or scooter or hitch (mostly successfully) to get around.
taxis very expensive - xpf 2500 (about GBP£ 18) for the approx 5km to ferry terminal
food in restaurant very good and reasonably priced. they offered me a xpf 5500 (GPB£ 37) half board deal which included a three course dinner with a glass of wine - and you could order anything off the menu.
restaurant on stilts on reef - great fun watching maelstrom of fish fighting for remnants of breakfast french bread. jetty extends to edge of reef where you can watch lots of multicoloured fish.
there is a real local community in the area - some evenings they were practicing dragon boat races in the bay.

Room Tip: i got upgraded from a bungalow in the garden to one with a sea view from the balcony but was advised...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Charlottetown, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed 6 nights in a Lanai Bungalow (the least expensive option). The Hotel Kaveka is on Cook’s Bay and the view of bay and mountains is lovely. On the North side of reception there is no beach per se. You can dive off the pier or ease yourself into the bay from the retaining wall. There is some sand and loungers. On the south side of reception there is a very small beach area - maybe 30 feet. I rented a bike at the hotel ($10US for 4 hours) and you are about a 30 minute leisurely and safe bike ride to the Sofitel’s magnicent beach. Just turn left at the sign for Plage Tamae (if you start to climb the steep hill, you’ve gone too far). Wear sunscreen, bring water, but it is an option to get to one of the best beaches and views in all FP.

Upon arrival I was shown to my lanai bungalow. These have no air conditioning. The cieling fan did the job for an October visit, but may not be so good in the hotter season (although the room temperature reached 32 inside), but there is often a breeze. The receptionist informed me that if I wanted to use the safe it was $6 per day, but really wasn’t necessary, just keep doors and windows locked. After settling in, I noticed the window would not close tight enough to lock and the sliding glass door had a gap as much as an inch or more at the bottom. A ten year old could have gotten the door open if they didn’t figure out the window opened. I brought this up to reception and she said she woudl talk to ‘the fix it guy’. The next day she asked me if it had been fixed. I said no. Neither got fixed during my stay - granted it would not have been an easy fix in my opinion. I’m passive aggressive so just kept my valuables with me when leaving the bunalow. This is my only complaint of my entire stay. I’m pretty sure that if I pressed, they would have moved me or given me the safe for free.

I was more concerned about mosquitos getting in through the gap until I noticed the entire top of the bugalow is bordered by slats (only in the lanai bungalows, the other bungalows are solid). Mosquitos were not a big problem, but bring bug spray and they provide mosquito coils, but no matches. If you have issues with geckos crawling on the wall, then the lanai bungalow is not for you. They don’t bother me. The Garden and Beach bunalows don’t have slats because of the a/c. Bring ear plugs for anywhere in FP as the roosters announce sunrise of everytime zone on the planet!

The staff always remembered my name and said hello and were very friendly. It’s not a big place, and wasn’t full, but I was still shocked that staff, who I had not met, knew my room number when charging stuff. I ate in the restaurant every day which is very reasonably priced for FP - not much more than North America which surprised me. I had the three course ‘tourist menu’ one night which was $35US. A cheesburger and fires is $14. Service was fast, friendly and efficient. The setting is absolutely fantastic, surrounded by water on three sides.

Internet is very expensive, $7/half hour. All rooms have refrigerators and town is a 20 minute walk or 5 minute bike ride. There is a great supermarket with most anything you would need at reasonable price. It can really save you some money.

My room had a king bed and a single bed, large shower and separate WC. It wasn’t spotless, a few hairs on the linen, many spider webs, but the bathroom and shower were very clean. Also, remember that the lanai’s have those slats at the top perimeter (for cooling), so every bug can get in. Overall the room was dated and needed some work (2 of the 5 lights in main room did not work and one of two bathroom lights did not work)....but remember $75!

Bottom line: if you are looking for that iconic view, ultimate pampered, luxury or semi luxury holiday resort with pool and a beautiful big beach, this might not be the place for you. But if you are on a budget and willing to compromise on beach and a few amenities, this is outstanding value. Had I not had 4 nights booked at Sofitel in Bora Bora on a 1/2 over water bungalow, I would have absorbed the cost paid at Kaveka and moved for 3 nights to a more luxurious location to get that iconic experience (at about 5 times the price), but for a budget traveller, Hotel Kaveka is great. I might recommend paying a bit more to stay in the garden or beach bungalows though just so you are not dealing with the insects and have some a/c.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Kaveka for 7 nights. We stayed in the beachside bungalow and we all really really enjoyed the stay. It was like having a massive reef aquarium right out your doorstep. And the dramatic views of Cook's Bay only adds to the feeling of isolation and tropical relaxation. Greg, the owner, is very nice and the staff is adequate enough. We accepted the meal plan as the hotel is not really within walking distance (for kids) of any other restaurants. The food was worth 3 stars, but there is a large selection for any palate. The clientele was mainly French, which is great because then you actually get the sense of being in French Polynesia. It was almost always quiet after 9pm, even though we were right next to the restaurant. And i do not think the value can be beat. We had a special deal where the room was 50% off with the meal plan. For a family of four, this was a good deal. And again, there was unlimited, easily accessible snorkeling.

The wildlife you can see is just awesome. Excellent tropical fish and a reef wall just off the dock. Some examples of things i saw are shown, but also beautiful Lemonpeel Angel Fish, Bannerfish, several types of Butterfly fish, including the Ornate butterfly, there is a fish cleaning station just off the reef where larger fish get cleaned by wrasse. From the dock you can see massive sea cucumbers, a 40cm starfish that visits, several types of triggerfish, beautiful sea urchins -- i even saw a lionfish and a sea turtle. Also, along the sea wall you can find small puffers and even filefish, which are related to sea horses. The fauna is outstanding.

Room Tip: I think rooms 330 or 301 would probably be the best beach Bungalow locations as they are the furthes...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed here 6 nights and loved it. We didn't have a beach bungalow but a garden one which was just as good as our view was not obstructed of the bay. Very nice bungalows and ours had air conditioning. A very nice over water restaurant with a pier with great views of Cook's Bay. Tim at the desk was very friendly and helpful. Grounds were well kept and the little porch on the bungalow was a great place to relax. Moorea is much more layed back than Tahiti and would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Bungalow #313 is a garden view but is situated so that the view is as good as the beach units.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent 4 nights at the Hotel Kaveka in a beach front bungalow. The room was air conditioned, with tv, clean and comfortable, the view fantastic, and the staff obviously very eager to please. They remembered our names and room number from the moment we checked in, never charged for the endless cups of tea we drank or for the third adult in our room, always greeted us with a smile and asked how our day had been. Even the groundskeeper raking the beach every morning would chat. Housekeeping was efficient and satisfactory. The view is beyond compare, and you can actually swim and snorkel here (many other places require a boat ride to deeper water). I saw a huge eel, an eagle ray, and many fish right from the dock, and others reported an octopus, sea turtles, and a whale. Yes, the name-brand resorts are more elegant and more heavily staffed (and offer more opportunities for activities), but they are also more impersonal and generic. Give me the Kaveka any time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed here in 2005 after a trip to New York and my boyfriend kept asking me "how did you find this place?" The rates are very affordable and the owners were very professional and hospitable. We had a Lagoon Bungalow with a view that was just magical. Peace and quiet, a sweet and friendly feral cat and we didn't have a single problems during our stay. No issues with insects or bugs of any kind. We spent our days jumping off the pier into the ocean and taking in the sunshine on our bungalow deck. Watching octopus and fish in the lagoon and have dinner and breakfast in the restaurant on the water, with fish just below us.

The room was very clean and we were very sad to leave, wishing we could stay longer.

While in Moorea, we would recommend you avoid the tour to a little island (which the name escapes me) where you can swim with stingrays, sharks and fish, because these animals are closed off in a netted area and they just swim around and around, so that the family that live on this little island and manage the "sanctuary", can profit. It's especially sad to see the mindless feeding of white bread to the stingrays. Which we are sure is not their natural diet staple. So avoid that tour!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Wollongong Sydney NSW Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Being a family on a budget,I researched where to stay on Moorea exhaustively, as there was no shortage of choices. In some respects I was disappointed with my choice. Firstly I will say and agree that the Kaveka is good value and in an amazing location. If you really want the Cooks Bay experience and don't mind missing out on the proper beach and lagoon experience while on Moorea, it's a good option. I found that the mountains in Cooks Bay tend to hold the clouds close much of the time so you are often in overcast conditions, but drive 5 mins and you will find yourself in glorious sunshine everywhere else. This is not the Kaveka's fault, of course. I glanced into most of the beachfront bungalows and they were TINY, just room to get to the bathroom between the main bed and the single bed, and the bathroom didn't appear to be separate, it had a cupboard that didn't go to the ceiling as a wall. We stayed in a large newer family unit with a big cute bathroom (I will put up photos sometime) and it was modest but spacious and impressive. There is a large public wharf right next door (I'm not talking about the long wharf at the Kaveka) and it had a huge catamaran docked there which had its engine on all day and night for days. Not the Kaveka's fault, but something you might have to contend with. It didn't bother us but it did bother people in the other units around us. The coarse sand outside of the beachside units insists on coming into your bungalow with you, it's annoying. The stone wall they have instead of beach is not a very attractive way of gettting into the water. You often read comments about the water being dirty around here and visibility bad. This was not true in our experience, the water was extremely clear and fish everywhere! It can look yucky because of the seaweed that is growing live from the rocks just a few metres offshore. The tide hardly goes up and down here so you can always see the seaweed. Kaveka has a cute little private beach on the other side of the restaurant. The breakfasts were very poor indeed and the choices at dinner were really quite good. Next time we will stay over the other side of the island for a different experience - we went and checked out Les Tipaniers, the lagoon over there is amazing for families and children. Have a think about the experience you want when deciding where to stay on Moorea. The Kaveka is also wonderfully located for access to Maharepa and Alberts Tours activities which run from near the Club Bali Hai just up the road.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Hotel Kaveka? Share your experiences!