“Great for the Pocketbook” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Kaveka
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   BP 373, Maharepa, French Polynesia   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Maharepa
Charlottetown, Canada
“Great for the Pocketbook”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed 6 nights in a Lanai Bungalow (the least expensive option). The Hotel Kaveka is on Cook’s Bay and the view of bay and mountains is lovely. On the North side of reception there is no beach per se. You can dive off the pier or ease yourself into the bay from the retaining wall. There is some sand and loungers. On the south side of reception there is a very small beach area - maybe 30 feet. I rented a bike at the hotel ($10US for 4 hours) and you are about a 30 minute leisurely and safe bike ride to the Sofitel’s magnicent beach. Just turn left at the sign for Plage Tamae (if you start to climb the steep hill, you’ve gone too far). Wear sunscreen, bring water, but it is an option to get to one of the best beaches and views in all FP.

Upon arrival I was shown to my lanai bungalow. These have no air conditioning. The cieling fan did the job for an October visit, but may not be so good in the hotter season (although the room temperature reached 32 inside), but there is often a breeze. The receptionist informed me that if I wanted to use the safe it was $6 per day, but really wasn’t necessary, just keep doors and windows locked. After settling in, I noticed the window would not close tight enough to lock and the sliding glass door had a gap as much as an inch or more at the bottom. A ten year old could have gotten the door open if they didn’t figure out the window opened. I brought this up to reception and she said she woudl talk to ‘the fix it guy’. The next day she asked me if it had been fixed. I said no. Neither got fixed during my stay - granted it would not have been an easy fix in my opinion. I’m passive aggressive so just kept my valuables with me when leaving the bunalow. This is my only complaint of my entire stay. I’m pretty sure that if I pressed, they would have moved me or given me the safe for free.

I was more concerned about mosquitos getting in through the gap until I noticed the entire top of the bugalow is bordered by slats (only in the lanai bungalows, the other bungalows are solid). Mosquitos were not a big problem, but bring bug spray and they provide mosquito coils, but no matches. If you have issues with geckos crawling on the wall, then the lanai bungalow is not for you. They don’t bother me. The Garden and Beach bunalows don’t have slats because of the a/c. Bring ear plugs for anywhere in FP as the roosters announce sunrise of everytime zone on the planet!

The staff always remembered my name and said hello and were very friendly. It’s not a big place, and wasn’t full, but I was still shocked that staff, who I had not met, knew my room number when charging stuff. I ate in the restaurant every day which is very reasonably priced for FP - not much more than North America which surprised me. I had the three course ‘tourist menu’ one night which was $35US. A cheesburger and fires is $14. Service was fast, friendly and efficient. The setting is absolutely fantastic, surrounded by water on three sides.

Internet is very expensive, $7/half hour. All rooms have refrigerators and town is a 20 minute walk or 5 minute bike ride. There is a great supermarket with most anything you would need at reasonable price. It can really save you some money.

My room had a king bed and a single bed, large shower and separate WC. It wasn’t spotless, a few hairs on the linen, many spider webs, but the bathroom and shower were very clean. Also, remember that the lanai’s have those slats at the top perimeter (for cooling), so every bug can get in. Overall the room was dated and needed some work (2 of the 5 lights in main room did not work and one of two bathroom lights did not work)....but remember $75!

Bottom line: if you are looking for that iconic view, ultimate pampered, luxury or semi luxury holiday resort with pool and a beautiful big beach, this might not be the place for you. But if you are on a budget and willing to compromise on beach and a few amenities, this is outstanding value. Had I not had 4 nights booked at Sofitel in Bora Bora on a 1/2 over water bungalow, I would have absorbed the cost paid at Kaveka and moved for 3 nights to a more luxurious location to get that iconic experience (at about 5 times the price), but for a budget traveller, Hotel Kaveka is great. I might recommend paying a bit more to stay in the garden or beach bungalows though just so you are not dealing with the insects and have some a/c.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Kaveka for 7 nights. We stayed in the beachside bungalow and we all really really enjoyed the stay. It was like having a massive reef aquarium right out your doorstep. And the dramatic views of Cook's Bay only adds to the feeling of isolation and tropical relaxation. Greg, the owner, is very nice and the staff is adequate enough. We accepted the meal plan as the hotel is not really within walking distance (for kids) of any other restaurants. The food was worth 3 stars, but there is a large selection for any palate. The clientele was mainly French, which is great because then you actually get the sense of being in French Polynesia. It was almost always quiet after 9pm, even though we were right next to the restaurant. And i do not think the value can be beat. We had a special deal where the room was 50% off with the meal plan. For a family of four, this was a good deal. And again, there was unlimited, easily accessible snorkeling.

The wildlife you can see is just awesome. Excellent tropical fish and a reef wall just off the dock. Some examples of things i saw are shown, but also beautiful Lemonpeel Angel Fish, Bannerfish, several types of Butterfly fish, including the Ornate butterfly, there is a fish cleaning station just off the reef where larger fish get cleaned by wrasse. From the dock you can see massive sea cucumbers, a 40cm starfish that visits, several types of triggerfish, beautiful sea urchins -- i even saw a lionfish and a sea turtle. Also, along the sea wall you can find small puffers and even filefish, which are related to sea horses. The fauna is outstanding.

Room Tip: I think rooms 330 or 301 would probably be the best beach Bungalow locations as they are the furthes...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed here 6 nights and loved it. We didn't have a beach bungalow but a garden one which was just as good as our view was not obstructed of the bay. Very nice bungalows and ours had air conditioning. A very nice over water restaurant with a pier with great views of Cook's Bay. Tim at the desk was very friendly and helpful. Grounds were well kept and the little porch on the bungalow was a great place to relax. Moorea is much more layed back than Tahiti and would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Bungalow #313 is a garden view but is situated so that the view is as good as the beach units.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent 4 nights at the Hotel Kaveka in a beach front bungalow. The room was air conditioned, with tv, clean and comfortable, the view fantastic, and the staff obviously very eager to please. They remembered our names and room number from the moment we checked in, never charged for the endless cups of tea we drank or for the third adult in our room, always greeted us with a smile and asked how our day had been. Even the groundskeeper raking the beach every morning would chat. Housekeeping was efficient and satisfactory. The view is beyond compare, and you can actually swim and snorkel here (many other places require a boat ride to deeper water). I saw a huge eel, an eagle ray, and many fish right from the dock, and others reported an octopus, sea turtles, and a whale. Yes, the name-brand resorts are more elegant and more heavily staffed (and offer more opportunities for activities), but they are also more impersonal and generic. Give me the Kaveka any time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed here in 2005 after a trip to New York and my boyfriend kept asking me "how did you find this place?" The rates are very affordable and the owners were very professional and hospitable. We had a Lagoon Bungalow with a view that was just magical. Peace and quiet, a sweet and friendly feral cat and we didn't have a single problems during our stay. No issues with insects or bugs of any kind. We spent our days jumping off the pier into the ocean and taking in the sunshine on our bungalow deck. Watching octopus and fish in the lagoon and have dinner and breakfast in the restaurant on the water, with fish just below us.

The room was very clean and we were very sad to leave, wishing we could stay longer.

While in Moorea, we would recommend you avoid the tour to a little island (which the name escapes me) where you can swim with stingrays, sharks and fish, because these animals are closed off in a netted area and they just swim around and around, so that the family that live on this little island and manage the "sanctuary", can profit. It's especially sad to see the mindless feeding of white bread to the stingrays. Which we are sure is not their natural diet staple. So avoid that tour!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Wollongong Sydney NSW Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Being a family on a budget,I researched where to stay on Moorea exhaustively, as there was no shortage of choices. In some respects I was disappointed with my choice. Firstly I will say and agree that the Kaveka is good value and in an amazing location. If you really want the Cooks Bay experience and don't mind missing out on the proper beach and lagoon experience while on Moorea, it's a good option. I found that the mountains in Cooks Bay tend to hold the clouds close much of the time so you are often in overcast conditions, but drive 5 mins and you will find yourself in glorious sunshine everywhere else. This is not the Kaveka's fault, of course. I glanced into most of the beachfront bungalows and they were TINY, just room to get to the bathroom between the main bed and the single bed, and the bathroom didn't appear to be separate, it had a cupboard that didn't go to the ceiling as a wall. We stayed in a large newer family unit with a big cute bathroom (I will put up photos sometime) and it was modest but spacious and impressive. There is a large public wharf right next door (I'm not talking about the long wharf at the Kaveka) and it had a huge catamaran docked there which had its engine on all day and night for days. Not the Kaveka's fault, but something you might have to contend with. It didn't bother us but it did bother people in the other units around us. The coarse sand outside of the beachside units insists on coming into your bungalow with you, it's annoying. The stone wall they have instead of beach is not a very attractive way of gettting into the water. You often read comments about the water being dirty around here and visibility bad. This was not true in our experience, the water was extremely clear and fish everywhere! It can look yucky because of the seaweed that is growing live from the rocks just a few metres offshore. The tide hardly goes up and down here so you can always see the seaweed. Kaveka has a cute little private beach on the other side of the restaurant. The breakfasts were very poor indeed and the choices at dinner were really quite good. Next time we will stay over the other side of the island for a different experience - we went and checked out Les Tipaniers, the lagoon over there is amazing for families and children. Have a think about the experience you want when deciding where to stay on Moorea. The Kaveka is also wonderfully located for access to Maharepa and Alberts Tours activities which run from near the Club Bali Hai just up the road.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Okay so this hotel is cheaper dont expect the Ritz but it is clean and friendly and in I think the best location on the island. The water quality was superb during our stay and snorkelling was wonderful higly recommended. There is a turtle that loves to swim around the pier and a few big rock fish that a very friendly. The accomodation is basic but really clean and tidy. We took a chalet overlooking the beach, the only draw back is this is the only beach at the hotel and it is quite small as you can see from my photos and other photos so as a result privacy is compromised in the beach chalet we had. The up side is the mozzies are not so bad as they are in the garden area. Now on that note I just want you to all know that the mozzies are bad on the island not just at this hotel take spray or suffer. I met a couple from the hilton that looked like the mozzies thought they were breakfast lunch and dinner between them their legs had that many bites. So dont think that the mozzies only circle this hotel - not true. The hotel provdies mozzie coils for each room - so use them. Greg the owner is really nice guy as stated in other reiews he does a run into town and is happy to drop you off and pick up. Town isnt much just a few tourist shops and eateries. The restaurant at the hotel was lovely I did an accomodation and meals package with breakfast and dinner this worked out being a really good option and saved us plenty for the 4 days we were there. Tours: We did the Alberts stingray day tour and I can recommend that for other patrons, I wont ruin it by telling you everything that happens though.
So rounding up on the hotel: It was lovely of all my experiences in Tahiti this hotel is the only place I would revisit. No its not 5 star, but Yes it is clean comfortable friendly and bloody good price for the society islands. Food was pretty good too. If you can manage without the airs and graces of the major hotels then go for it you will find the best water on the island from what I saw of the other other resorts. Happy Safe travels.

Room Tip: Get an ocean front room if you can.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kaveka? Share your experiences!