“Wonderful location, warm and friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Maharepa
Los Angeles, CA
“Wonderful location, warm and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent 4 nights at the Hotel Kaveka in a beach front bungalow. The room was air conditioned, with tv, clean and comfortable, the view fantastic, and the staff obviously very eager to please. They remembered our names and room number from the moment we checked in, never charged for the endless cups of tea we drank or for the third adult in our room, always greeted us with a smile and asked how our day had been. Even the groundskeeper raking the beach every morning would chat. Housekeeping was efficient and satisfactory. The view is beyond compare, and you can actually swim and snorkel here (many other places require a boat ride to deeper water). I saw a huge eel, an eagle ray, and many fish right from the dock, and others reported an octopus, sea turtles, and a whale. Yes, the name-brand resorts are more elegant and more heavily staffed (and offer more opportunities for activities), but they are also more impersonal and generic. Give me the Kaveka any time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed here in 2005 after a trip to New York and my boyfriend kept asking me "how did you find this place?" The rates are very affordable and the owners were very professional and hospitable. We had a Lagoon Bungalow with a view that was just magical. Peace and quiet, a sweet and friendly feral cat and we didn't have a single problems during our stay. No issues with insects or bugs of any kind. We spent our days jumping off the pier into the ocean and taking in the sunshine on our bungalow deck. Watching octopus and fish in the lagoon and have dinner and breakfast in the restaurant on the water, with fish just below us.

The room was very clean and we were very sad to leave, wishing we could stay longer.

While in Moorea, we would recommend you avoid the tour to a little island (which the name escapes me) where you can swim with stingrays, sharks and fish, because these animals are closed off in a netted area and they just swim around and around, so that the family that live on this little island and manage the "sanctuary", can profit. It's especially sad to see the mindless feeding of white bread to the stingrays. Which we are sure is not their natural diet staple. So avoid that tour!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Wollongong Sydney NSW Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Being a family on a budget,I researched where to stay on Moorea exhaustively, as there was no shortage of choices. In some respects I was disappointed with my choice. Firstly I will say and agree that the Kaveka is good value and in an amazing location. If you really want the Cooks Bay experience and don't mind missing out on the proper beach and lagoon experience while on Moorea, it's a good option. I found that the mountains in Cooks Bay tend to hold the clouds close much of the time so you are often in overcast conditions, but drive 5 mins and you will find yourself in glorious sunshine everywhere else. This is not the Kaveka's fault, of course. I glanced into most of the beachfront bungalows and they were TINY, just room to get to the bathroom between the main bed and the single bed, and the bathroom didn't appear to be separate, it had a cupboard that didn't go to the ceiling as a wall. We stayed in a large newer family unit with a big cute bathroom (I will put up photos sometime) and it was modest but spacious and impressive. There is a large public wharf right next door (I'm not talking about the long wharf at the Kaveka) and it had a huge catamaran docked there which had its engine on all day and night for days. Not the Kaveka's fault, but something you might have to contend with. It didn't bother us but it did bother people in the other units around us. The coarse sand outside of the beachside units insists on coming into your bungalow with you, it's annoying. The stone wall they have instead of beach is not a very attractive way of gettting into the water. You often read comments about the water being dirty around here and visibility bad. This was not true in our experience, the water was extremely clear and fish everywhere! It can look yucky because of the seaweed that is growing live from the rocks just a few metres offshore. The tide hardly goes up and down here so you can always see the seaweed. Kaveka has a cute little private beach on the other side of the restaurant. The breakfasts were very poor indeed and the choices at dinner were really quite good. Next time we will stay over the other side of the island for a different experience - we went and checked out Les Tipaniers, the lagoon over there is amazing for families and children. Have a think about the experience you want when deciding where to stay on Moorea. The Kaveka is also wonderfully located for access to Maharepa and Alberts Tours activities which run from near the Club Bali Hai just up the road.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Okay so this hotel is cheaper dont expect the Ritz but it is clean and friendly and in I think the best location on the island. The water quality was superb during our stay and snorkelling was wonderful higly recommended. There is a turtle that loves to swim around the pier and a few big rock fish that a very friendly. The accomodation is basic but really clean and tidy. We took a chalet overlooking the beach, the only draw back is this is the only beach at the hotel and it is quite small as you can see from my photos and other photos so as a result privacy is compromised in the beach chalet we had. The up side is the mozzies are not so bad as they are in the garden area. Now on that note I just want you to all know that the mozzies are bad on the island not just at this hotel take spray or suffer. I met a couple from the hilton that looked like the mozzies thought they were breakfast lunch and dinner between them their legs had that many bites. So dont think that the mozzies only circle this hotel - not true. The hotel provdies mozzie coils for each room - so use them. Greg the owner is really nice guy as stated in other reiews he does a run into town and is happy to drop you off and pick up. Town isnt much just a few tourist shops and eateries. The restaurant at the hotel was lovely I did an accomodation and meals package with breakfast and dinner this worked out being a really good option and saved us plenty for the 4 days we were there. Tours: We did the Alberts stingray day tour and I can recommend that for other patrons, I wont ruin it by telling you everything that happens though.
So rounding up on the hotel: It was lovely of all my experiences in Tahiti this hotel is the only place I would revisit. No its not 5 star, but Yes it is clean comfortable friendly and bloody good price for the society islands. Food was pretty good too. If you can manage without the airs and graces of the major hotels then go for it you will find the best water on the island from what I saw of the other other resorts. Happy Safe travels.

Room Tip: Get an ocean front room if you can.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Nice hotel, definitely not at the level of the expensive resorts, but it comes at 1/10 of the price!
Nice staff very responsive and kind, the location is very nice even though you have to rent a car or scooter to get to a nice beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I cannot wait to go back to Hotel Kaveka!
This is not a posh 5 star resort, which is what we stayed in at Papeete, which we found very cheesy and a bit too staged. Instead this hotel blends the perfect private natural resources with the friendliest local staff to create an authentic and enriching French Polynesian experience. We cannot say enough about the hotel staff who always met us with a smile and an enthusiastic Maururu (we think it means, hello/goodbye/thanks) and made excellent food and drink. The bungalows are private and the fans are super powerful to help you cool off if the ocean hasn't done it. The beds were comfortable and the facilities we were able to buy beer and some cheeses at the local grocery store to keep in our minifridge. My husband enjoyed snorkeling off the dock each day and I swam, snorkeled, sunbathed, read, relaxed, and enjoyed the feast of beauty around. It was such a calm, relaxing environment, and there were various types of guests, families with young children, older couples, young people, and Kaveka had something for everyone. (We are a 27 year old couple). This place is for the more laid back type of traveller who is looking for a low key relaxing place with friendly people. There is not internet in the bungalow, but if you are surfing the web at this place, you are doing something wrong! This place forces you onto island time, slow down, relax, enjoy the simple things in life and the beauty of this unspoiled environment. There are thousands of colorful fish lining the dock off the hotel lobby which is just a rustic beach shack which also houses the restaurant. The restaurant is pretty good and once you see what other restaurants charge Kaveka seems reasonable. I ordered the fish and green beans dinner and was very satisfied and my hubby had the pizza. Though if you walk out from the hotel just 5 minutes to the right there is an excellent pizza bar with great chocolate mousse which we kept finding ourselves going back to. Also a few nights a week the hotel has free live acoustic music which was just perfect. We rented a car and drove around the island and determined that our location was perfect at Kaveka and we were so happy that we chose it.

A good tip - The hotel has a free shuttle into town everyday, which is where banking, grocery, retail shopping, and a cafe are located. You can easily walk there in 20 minutes if your up for it, but I wouldn't do it after dark. We took the shuttle in for the morning and had breakfast then enjoyed the walk back. My husband loved this place called the cafeteria or cafe, it was the only one, if you see it you will know.

I really could go on and on about how much we loved this place and I kind of have, but the bottom line is that the service and location are great and the bungalows are of excellent value.

Room Tip: We had a garden room which didn't have an ocean view, but it didn't matter because we didn...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Hotel Kaveka is located at the north end of Cook's Bay with a magnificent view of the bay and surrounding mountains. If you like, you can go snorkeling right off the end of the pier that extends from the hotel restaurant.

The room is large - no AC if you're looking for that. The TV only has French channels so if you don't speak French it will be of little use to you.

The hotel had a very sleepy feel to it. I don't think even half of the rooms were occupied when I was there and it looked like the hotels on both sides of Kaveka had closed down - perhaps a comment on the state of tourism in Moorea these days.

The breakfasts were OK and the priced depended on how far you went down the line. Only bread, coffee and juice was the most basic one on offer with fruits and eggs for those willing to pay more.

One thing I didn't like was that all extras were added charges. It's a personal preference, but I don't like it when every time you ask about something, it's followed by, "That will cost you this amount." Perhaps others like that as they won't pay for what they don't want, but to me it felt like being nickled and dimed to death. I'd prefer to pay more and have the breakfast and wi-fi included.

Hotel Kaveka is certainly acceptable. There's nothing wrong with it. But, if you're looking for excitement and atmosphere, I don't think you're going to find it here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Kaveka? Share your experiences!