“Average hotel but pay for a five star high price....” 3 of 5 stars

Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   B.P. 28, Moorea, Maharepa 98728, French Polynesia   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Maharepa
California, US.
“Average hotel but pay for a five star high price....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We just got back from staying at the Sofitel in Moorea. We stayed there for 4 days at the Luxury Over the water bungalow. Have not been to the French Polynesian islands before and not doing our own homeowork, we listened to our travel agent and stayed at the Sofitel in Moorea. We should of gone to the Four Seasons or St Regis in Bora Bora. We used to live in Paris and have stayed at the Sofitel hotel throughout Europe (Rome, etc.) We loved Sofitel hotel but for some reasons this particular Sofitel in Moorea did not live up to our expectations. The landscaping throughtout the resort are not kept up, it looks quite run down especially near the lobby where you are checking in. (First impression is very important). I am a fitness fanatic so when I travel I always use the fitness center at the hotel. This particular hotel have no fitness center, they have a perfect view of the ocean that they can create an awsome fitness center for guests to enjoy...(but this was overlooked and did not have this accommodation.)

The pool area is small and boring not much to brag about. Basic pool with some local kids swimming in it, not very serene. There is no one working at the pool area, you wait for ten minutes to have some staff from the bar area come out to give you 2 towels. Patio furniture cushion is quite worn down. There is no wow factor at the pool area in a nice resort like this.

Food at the restaurant is very average. We have stayed at so many hotels and enjoyed the daily breakfasts. At this hotel they serve EXACTLY the same food at breakfast EVERYDAY !!!! They have these young kids doing internship at the hotel, these kids are making eggs for you.
I asked for a basic ham & cheese omelet and they told me there is no ham, only cheese. Quite strange as I expected a chef to provide a lavish breakfast buffet. There are not much selections to choose from, they give you a basket of 1 croissant, 1 small pain au chocolat, 1 small pain au raisin .... you don't have a luxury of choosing your own pastries and not much variety of anything... This is the worst hotel for breakfast selections. As a guest of the hotel, not having your own transportation you are stuck and pretty much dine in at the hotel. For dinner, you dine in the same restaurant, the lunch/dinner menu is EXACLY the same each day. There are no specials of the day to choose from. It gets to be so boring eating there day after day.... Quite disappointing in the food as we have lived in Paris and tasted real French food.

Wish I did not listen to my travel agent and should of book at the Four Seasons or St Regis in Bora Bora. If you are going to spend your money, spend it in Bora Bora at a real five star hotel.

Room Tip: If you are going to spend the money, consider Four Seasons in Bora Bora over this one....
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We recently stayed at the Sofitel Moorea on our honeymoon. We arrived early in the morning and the staff greeted us with leis and pineapple juice. They were very helpful in explaining the property to us. All of the staff at the resort were very accomodating and happy to help us with anything we asked.

We stayed in a superior lagoon view bungalow and loved it. Two things that stick out related to the room:1)the view of the lagoon from our private deck was great and we were able to see many different kinds of fish and crabs roaming about. very cool. 2) the shower setup in the room was the best I have seen with a glass door facing outside toward flowers and other vegatation (dont worry there is a privacy fence).

The grounds were well kept and pool area was comfortable. We also enjoyed the spa service. We were surprised that there were some little kids at the resort, but I guess this confirms that people bring their kids EVERYWHERE in the world.

The food at the K restaurant within the resort was well prepared and the tamara buffet on Thursday exceeded my expectations. I was surprised by the quality as I had read negative reviews of the food in general in French Polynesia before going there. Another note I would make is that French Polynesia is very EXPENSIVE so do your research before you go and know what you are gettin into. If you're prepared for the prices you will have the time of your life.

Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We absolutely loved this hotel. The service was impecible. I am so happy we spent two days. We did a beach villa to save the over the water bungalo for Bora Bora. The beach villa was perfect! The boating and snorkling was unreal. They had the water sports right on the beach near our villa and the locals were so helpful. They sent us to a private island to boat and picnic so we did it two days in a row. It was so much fun. We spent the 4th of July at this hotel and had a blast. The landscaping was great and again, service was top notch. I loved our room. It was so romantic!

Room Tip: Go Beach Villa on this one, they do a great job and it's nice to mix it up. Do over the water in...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We just had a wonderful stay at the Sofitel Moorea. We originally intended to stay 4 days and then go to Bora Bora but it was so beautiful and relaxing we spent the whole time in Moorea. We stayed in an overwater bungalow which was most definitely worth the extra cost. The bungalow allowed you to swim and snorkel straight off the balcony, also the pylons of the bungalows provide an ecosystem for the sea life meaning that beautiful, amazingly coloured fish hung around the pylons and were clearly visible from the balcony.
We tried both restaurants and were happy with the food in both. The signature restaurant is probably better value as the dishes are more interesting and the service is better for only a slightly higher price.
The only complaint we had was that the general restaurant was seriously understaffed which led to poor service at busy times.

Room Tip: Over water bungalows are well worth the extra as they allow for amazing snorkelling straight off the...
Carmel Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed in a beach bungalow. The hotel was full. The staff was very accommodating. The only reason I did not give 5 stars are little nits, the room smelled a bit moldy, a couple of plugs did not work, outside chairs were greasy. I found some trash in the reef. Picked up a pair of shorts off a piece of coral and took it back and threw them away. I do think they should hire someone to pick up the little bits of trash and "debris" that are starting to liter the coral around the overwater bungalows. But our time was wonderful! This location is the very best. The water and reef are wonderful. Nothing like it! I already miss it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I would like to start with the positive:
One of the most beautiful locations I have ever visited. We stayed in an over water bungalo and just marveled at the beauty. Exotic coral and fish everywhere! Great snorkeling.

Delicious food. We never had a bad meal and thought the food was delicious.

Lovely Swiss gal in consierge arranged 2 dinners outside of resort for us and made it easy.
That being said:

I have never been around so many small children in my life! Family central! Familes with children mostly under the age of 10! In the only pool all day long. Screaming and crying loud and noisy. Not very romantic.

I found the staff to be OK. Not too friendly and conveniently unable to speak English for everything except when there was a problem with a bill then they miraculously could speak perfect English. One gal in excursions was down right rude.The young man at reception seemed so miserable, and one female server snapped at my husband when he asked for a glass of wine. There were some lovely staff don't get me wrong but we had some bad interactions.

The rooms had no hair conditioner! I could not believe it! And the store did not sell it. We can only travel with 3oz liquids.....we need conditioner!

I found the cleaning to be fair. Dirty plates and dishes would remain in our room for over 24 hours. I also thought the glasses weren't all that clean.

The bathrooms near the restaurant needed updating ,soap and toilet paper!

No one went over the room with us and it took days to figure it all out.When we first arrived after traveling 20 hours reception did not even say hello and ushered us into their makeshift lobby/activity center. The young gal helping seemed overwhelmed and asked us to please wait for this family with young children to settle and once they did she would then deal with us. Not welcoming.

If you are a family with young children you will love this place. If you are looking for romance and top notch service go elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013
Saint Charles, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

If an overwater bungalow is on your bucket list and if you can swing the price (we got a stay 3 nights, pay for 2 deal) do 3 nights at the end of your trip to top it off in style.

The bungalows are lovely, one large room with a large open bathroom area. There are sliding doors to enclose the bathroom area and the toilet is separated by a door and ventilated to the outside. There is no tub but there is a nice rain shower. The best part is the roomy deck with stairs leading down into the lagoon. The lagoon is perfect for a “private” dip (the bungalows are only about 30 feet apart), weather and currents permitting. Our first day the water was very calm and clear but each day after that the currents ran a bit stronger so be prepared. Bring your snorkel gear or use the hotel’s gear. Fins are helpful.

There is a small unstocked refrigerator in the room so save yourself hundreds of dollars (sorry, Sofitel) by self-catering a bit. There is a large grocery store a ways down from the ferry terminal (if you are exiting the ferry terminal parking lot, turn left and about a half mile down it’s on your right). The fresh pastries in the back right-hand corner of the grocery store are excellent!

The Sofitel itself I felt it was not up to the usual Sofitel standard in some ways, and here they are: 1) The front desk staff seemed a bit snooty and tired of covering the same ground with each new arrival. 2) At checkout I asked if they sold ferry tickets and there was just “no” which surprised me because I was able to purchase them from the Intercontinental in Papeete for my trip over. My experiences with Sofitel in other locations had been so favorable I really did expect some sort of help – at least an inquiry as to what my plans might be to determine how they could help me. 3) On arrival there was a plate of sliced fruit as a welcome gift that had clearly been sitting there for some time as it was warm and mushy. 4) I noticed bits of trash and cigarette butts on the property.

I don’t doubt that anyone would enjoy their stay here but if you’ve been to Sofitel in Siem Reap, Ho Chi Minh City, Chicago or Queenstown…don’t get your hopes up and think you’ll get the same level of service or perfection in Moorea.

Room Tip: We were in bungalow 212 which was out close to the end it had wonderful views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort? Share your experiences!