“Spectacular situation, lovely room” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   B.P. 28, Moorea, Maharepa 98728, French Polynesia   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Maharepa
Sydney, Australia
“Spectacular situation, lovely room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We just had a wonderful stay at the Sofitel Moorea. We originally intended to stay 4 days and then go to Bora Bora but it was so beautiful and relaxing we spent the whole time in Moorea. We stayed in an overwater bungalow which was most definitely worth the extra cost. The bungalow allowed you to swim and snorkel straight off the balcony, also the pylons of the bungalows provide an ecosystem for the sea life meaning that beautiful, amazingly coloured fish hung around the pylons and were clearly visible from the balcony.
We tried both restaurants and were happy with the food in both. The signature restaurant is probably better value as the dishes are more interesting and the service is better for only a slightly higher price.
The only complaint we had was that the general restaurant was seriously understaffed which led to poor service at busy times.

Room Tip: Over water bungalows are well worth the extra as they allow for amazing snorkelling straight off the...

1,399 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Carmel Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed in a beach bungalow. The hotel was full. The staff was very accommodating. The only reason I did not give 5 stars are little nits, the room smelled a bit moldy, a couple of plugs did not work, outside chairs were greasy. I found some trash in the reef. Picked up a pair of shorts off a piece of coral and took it back and threw them away. I do think they should hire someone to pick up the little bits of trash and "debris" that are starting to liter the coral around the overwater bungalows. But our time was wonderful! This location is the very best. The water and reef are wonderful. Nothing like it! I already miss it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I would like to start with the positive:
One of the most beautiful locations I have ever visited. We stayed in an over water bungalo and just marveled at the beauty. Exotic coral and fish everywhere! Great snorkeling.

Delicious food. We never had a bad meal and thought the food was delicious.

Lovely Swiss gal in consierge arranged 2 dinners outside of resort for us and made it easy.
That being said:

I have never been around so many small children in my life! Family central! Familes with children mostly under the age of 10! In the only pool all day long. Screaming and crying loud and noisy. Not very romantic.

I found the staff to be OK. Not too friendly and conveniently unable to speak English for everything except when there was a problem with a bill then they miraculously could speak perfect English. One gal in excursions was down right rude.The young man at reception seemed so miserable, and one female server snapped at my husband when he asked for a glass of wine. There were some lovely staff don't get me wrong but we had some bad interactions.

The rooms had no hair conditioner! I could not believe it! And the store did not sell it. We can only travel with 3oz liquids.....we need conditioner!

I found the cleaning to be fair. Dirty plates and dishes would remain in our room for over 24 hours. I also thought the glasses weren't all that clean.

The bathrooms near the restaurant needed updating ,soap and toilet paper!

No one went over the room with us and it took days to figure it all out.When we first arrived after traveling 20 hours reception did not even say hello and ushered us into their makeshift lobby/activity center. The young gal helping seemed overwhelmed and asked us to please wait for this family with young children to settle and once they did she would then deal with us. Not welcoming.

If you are a family with young children you will love this place. If you are looking for romance and top notch service go elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013
Saint Charles, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

If an overwater bungalow is on your bucket list and if you can swing the price (we got a stay 3 nights, pay for 2 deal) do 3 nights at the end of your trip to top it off in style.

The bungalows are lovely, one large room with a large open bathroom area. There are sliding doors to enclose the bathroom area and the toilet is separated by a door and ventilated to the outside. There is no tub but there is a nice rain shower. The best part is the roomy deck with stairs leading down into the lagoon. The lagoon is perfect for a “private” dip (the bungalows are only about 30 feet apart), weather and currents permitting. Our first day the water was very calm and clear but each day after that the currents ran a bit stronger so be prepared. Bring your snorkel gear or use the hotel’s gear. Fins are helpful.

There is a small unstocked refrigerator in the room so save yourself hundreds of dollars (sorry, Sofitel) by self-catering a bit. There is a large grocery store a ways down from the ferry terminal (if you are exiting the ferry terminal parking lot, turn left and about a half mile down it’s on your right). The fresh pastries in the back right-hand corner of the grocery store are excellent!

The Sofitel itself I felt it was not up to the usual Sofitel standard in some ways, and here they are: 1) The front desk staff seemed a bit snooty and tired of covering the same ground with each new arrival. 2) At checkout I asked if they sold ferry tickets and there was just “no” which surprised me because I was able to purchase them from the Intercontinental in Papeete for my trip over. My experiences with Sofitel in other locations had been so favorable I really did expect some sort of help – at least an inquiry as to what my plans might be to determine how they could help me. 3) On arrival there was a plate of sliced fruit as a welcome gift that had clearly been sitting there for some time as it was warm and mushy. 4) I noticed bits of trash and cigarette butts on the property.

I don’t doubt that anyone would enjoy their stay here but if you’ve been to Sofitel in Siem Reap, Ho Chi Minh City, Chicago or Queenstown…don’t get your hopes up and think you’ll get the same level of service or perfection in Moorea.

Room Tip: We were in bungalow 212 which was out close to the end it had wonderful views
Wollongong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Had a terrific 6 nights at the Sofitel Moorea in October 2012. The staff could not have done any more to make our holiday and our stay more enjoyable. Nothing was too much trouble. The food at the restaurant was top quality. Spent 3 nights in a Lagoon Bungalow and 3 in an over Water Bungalow - everything went smoothly. Looking forward to reacquainting ourselves with this wonderful and beautiful part of the South Seas.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vail, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I believe that reviewers who raved about this hotel had not stayed at any of the other well-managed hotels and had "honeymoon eyes". We chose this Sofitel for the location and the beach, and indeed, those are wonderful. Their concierge staff was excellent, helpful, honest and friendly.

However, after that, it completely falls apart. The main dining room serves breakfast buffet, lunch and dinner; the menu for lunch AND dinner were exactly the same EVERY DAY! And even the bar menu has the same selections. Can you imagine? And the food is mediocre, at best, and expensive! But, let's be fair, everything on Moorea is expensive.

They advertise a Fitness Center but there is none. So, we rented bicycles -- no helmets available, and the only place to ride is along the one paved road around the island.

We stayed in a deluxe over-the-water bungalow, but it was difficult to find the "deluxe" -- there is one lounge chair in the corner of the room and two straight-backed desk chairs. If you want to sit together to enjoy a cup of coffee, a glass of wine, etc. you either go outside on the lounge chairs or sit on the bed. In this land dripping with flowers, we didn't have one flower placed in our room, not even on arrival.

Well, I could go on and on, but bottom line, we would not recommend Sofitel Moorea!

Room Tip: To find the perfect room, go to the Bora Bora Pearl Resort!
Linwood, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Not for couples. There were more kids running around here than a preschool. The overwater bungalow next to us had a family of 8-10 staying inside. The service is lacking, I was served soup without a spoon and my entree arrived before my spoon. Maintenance comes to my room for repairs 5 minutes after I finally get my room. I was told by management that this is what it is like all over the world. Well I have been all over the world and it is not like this.He should check out Le Tahaa private island resort or the Four seasons bora bora to see how a resort is run! In addition to all this they had the nerve to tell me breakfast was not included even though it was stated in my reservation. One bottle of water for entire stay. It is easy to get from Tahiti by ferry but do yourself a favor any fly to one of the many other islands.

Room Tip: End pontoon but do not expect to get one
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort? Share your experiences!