“Perfect in every way” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Maharepa
Kansas City, Missouri
“Perfect in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed at the Moorea Pearl for 4 nights during our honeymoon in French Polynesia. We arrived around 8 am after 24 hours of travel and were delightfully surprised that our room was available! We were checked in in under 10 minutes and given a tour of the resort. Our room was a garden bungalow with a private plunge pool- absolutely perfect. We did spot a couple yellow lizards in our room but they seemed to want nothing to do with us, so they didn't cause any harm.

The resort staff impressed us during our entire stay- they booked dinner reservations for us, exchanged our money, confirmed our pick-up times and excursions, and remembered our names and room number- all with the biggest smiles! The Pearl made us feel so welcome the entire time.

The breakfast buffet is absolutely amazing- my husband was delighted every morning. We ate at the pool bar for a few random lunches/snacks/dinners and we were never disappointed. The drinks were very well made and really not unreasonably priced. It's been a few weeks but I had a small salad with barbequed pork for one meal and I remember my husband having a burger and a club sandwich that he raved about.

We walked to town everyday to go to the grocery store, eat lunch and shop. The Pearl could not be more convenient to town.

We actually preferred Mo'orea to Bora Bora because of our amazing stay at the Moorea Pearl. When we go back to French Polynesia the Pearl will be the first choice for our stay! I can't say enough great things about this resort.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Glendale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We just returned from our Honeymoon and could not be happier :) This resort is so beautiful! The staff was so friendly and welcoming from the moment we arrived. Karen at the front desk walked us around the hotel to make sure we knew where everything was located. She was very sweet. We chose to stay in two rooms during our visit. We stayed in a garden room with a private plunge pool and a premium overwater bungalow. Both were so wonderful in different ways. The garden room was very private and romantic. We really enjoyed having our own pool. The overwater bungalow was breathtaking. A lot less private but such a great experience to wake up with that view. We literally watched the fish under our bungalow for hours. We even got to see dolphins swimming by one day :) It's really amazing to be able to jump right off of your deck and snorkel! Be careful not to swim too close to the sea urchins (I swam into one by accident and will never forget the pain)!

The breakfast buffet is awesome! Made to order omelettes, bacon, crepes, sweet breads, fruit, espresso, etc. The list goes on. We booked the honeymoon package that included breakfast and dinner. I'm very happy we did, because dinner was also delicious (and saved us a lot of money). The bartenders are also great, especially Marquise :)

If you decide to do any activities, you should definitely book the Jet Ski tour. It was sooo much fun and they take you to swim with sting rays and sharks! A little scary but a great experience :) We also rented a car for the day around $60. We drove around the whole island and went up to see the gorgeous view from Mt. Belvedere.

Thank you to the Pearl Resort for giving us such a memorable honeymoon! We will be back :)

Room Tip: Premium overwater bungalows have the best views!
Hopewell Junction, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Spent 5 nights in ow bungalow at moorea pearl. Very nice room and the view from the premium is fantastic. Snorkeling from your deck is beautiful and exciting. The food is very good, especially the breakfast and dinner buffets. Great choices and well displayed. All around for the price, considering your in French Polynesia, is great. The staff are warm and friendly, very accommodating.

Room Tip: Choose the premium overwater bungalow, with unobstructed views is well worth the upgrade. And also r...
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I and our two grandsons stayed here, this was our first time to French Polynesia so we weren't sure what to expect but we were overwhelmed by the awesome welcome we received, the genuine friendliness and helpful by everyone on staff just blew us away, we were made to feel so at home right from day one. We stayed in one of the over water bungalows which was just amazing, waking up to a sparkling, crystal clear view straight out to the reef every morning was one of the highlights of our stay. Our grandson's lived in the pool the whole time we were there from early morning to mid afternoon, they were happy just swimming every day, all day. Breakfast was always a meal to look forward to (the fresh pineapple is a must). The dinner menu is something you also have to try.
One of the qualities this resort has is it's staff. They really made our stay even more memorable and were always ready to answer any questions we had and were very easy to get along with especially the wonderful ladies at the bar and the restaurant.
There are other cheaper options elsewhere for dinner but we decided this was our first time there so we were going to eat at the restaurant and I'm glad we made that decision because the food was delicious. They have a buffet dinner on Wednesdays which includes cultural entertainment with the cost, we really enjoyed the whole evening so the cost wasn't an issue.
All in all we loved our stay at the Pearl Resort & Spa and we plan on taking the rest of our family next time.
Maybe just one little drawback was that our bungalow was right at the end, next to a wharf where some of the sightseeing boats would get ready to go out in the mornings (around 6am) which would wake us up when they started the boats up, also, the local kids would make use of the wharf to swim and dive off, although they didn't cause us any trouble, our grandson's would not make use of swimming off our deck because of them being there all day which is a shame because there was a snorkeling opportunity right there around our bungalow.

Room Tip: Over water bungalows on the right would be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I don't get some of these negative reviews. We stayed in a premium overwater bungalow for 5 nights/6 days and it was just wonderful. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was nice, the room was spacious, clean and well kept. I love that the hotel manages to pull off luxury without losing that polynesian feel. (We briefly visited the Sofitel one evening, which is a pretentious mosquito infested hell-hole. Feels more NYC than polynesia, the staff has their noses in the air and I was literally eaten alive by mosquitoes. Even on the day we left, when our shuttle stopped at the Sofitel to pick up some other guests the mosquitoes swarmed the shuttle! That's how bad it is. But anyway, this review is about the Pearl, not the sofitel!)

Amazing snorkling right off our deck - we saw puffer fish, rays, turtles and all manner of other fish. I found the staff to be friendly and accommodating -- granted I do speak a little bit of French (and by little, I do mean very little, just enough to make myself understood), so perhaps that had something to do with it. I generally attempted to at first speak French with the staff, for simple things like "I'd like a bottle of water" or "we're staying in room xyz". For anything more complex than that, I'd speak English. Nobody was rude or dismissive. Quite the opposite. One example: we had prepaid for the breakfast buffet, but it doesn't kick in the day you get there, since technically breakfast is over by the time check-in happens. However, when you take the red-eye into Tahiti, you get to the Pearl by about 9 or 10am. My poor husband was starving, so the girl at the restaurant let him go in and grab a croissant and some juice, no charge. When she saw that I didn't take anything (I wasn't hungry), she was concerned and wanted to make sure I was fed as well. Little things like that really speak to the kindness of the staff. As for the breakfast itself, I don't see how anyone could complain about that. I'm a food snob and I thought it was yummy. Every morning there were fresh croissants, french bread, a variety of cold cuts, cheeses and fruit for a European style breakfast. In addition to that, there were made-to-order eggs and omelettes, stuffed tomatoes, sausages, bacon, pancakes, hash browns, crepes for those who prefer American fare. Add to that the delicious marmelades, yogurt, juices and coffee....and you're complaining about what exactly? I was very happy that we pre-paid for daily included breakfasts.

I was also very happy with my massage at Manea spa. Relaxing, luxurious and just what I needed on the day we arrived after an 8 hour red-eye flight.

If there are any negatives, the only thing I could think of is that some of the palm thatched roofs on the overwater bungalows needed a few cosmetic patches (note that I said cosmetic! we're not talking leaking roofs here!). You could only notice this upon close inspection. I saw them working on some of the bungalows, my guess is this kind of work is done during the low season (we arrived Nov 2, the start of the low season). Mind you the work was not disruptive at all. If I were reading this, I'd be worried about a construction zone feel -- trust me, it wasn't. Also, the wall underneath our AC in the bungalow had some water stains. Again, I've lived in humid hot environments before, so to me this is very understandable. There will be condensation from the AC, and lots of it. Especially if people run the AC 24/7 (like I like to do, I like it nice and cool). It's unfortunate, but unavoidable. If you're showing up after a year of heavy daily use, you can bet on some water damage with a wall unit like that. A solution to this is central AC, but I'm not sure how you'd get central AC to an overwater bungalow :-P In any case, I wasn't bothered by it, it was quite minor. I only mention it in the interest of full disclosure. Thirdly, I was hoping to do a late check-out, as check-out time is at 11am and our transfer to the pier wasn't until 445pm. Unfortunately, that wasn't a possibility as the hotel was booked to capacity. At first this worried me, but turns out it wasn't a problem at all -- we had planned on lounging by the pool all day anyway and really only needed to shower before we leave. We packed up our things at 11am, checked out and the front desk kept our luggage in storage as we continued to enjoy the resort. By the time we were ready to leave, we got to use the shower in the reception area, which is actually quite nice - same quality as the hotel rooms (there are restrooms and a shower next to the gift shop, presumably for people who purchase a day pass to the resort). All in all, everything worked out well and we didn't have to pay extra for a late checkout!

I really am quite particular about what I do and don't like, and I thought the Pearl was great. My husband and I are already planning on coming back.

Köln
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The second stop of our honeymoon was Moorea. We booked a small hotel in the mountains, but after facing some problems there we decided to find something else and took a taxi to the Moorea Pearl Resort & Spa. We had no reservation or anything, but luckily there was one room left, a beach bungalow. Especially, the staff at the Activity Desk was nice and helpful. Our “first” hotel booked an excursion for us, which was no problem to cancel now and book something else.
The bungalow was really fine, had a nice terrace and was litterally over the beach and 3m away from the sea. However in some parts of the room, you could see that the hotel was built 10 years ago...
We paddled around with kajaks, did some snorkeling (there is a free rent desk) and swimming, and spotted a lot of fish just meters away from the bungalow; all relaxing and comfortable.
The mountain excursion is highly recommended. Really nice to see a lot of different parts of Moorea.
The breakfast is a buffet where you can get everything you need. Different Coffees, all bakery products you can think about, yoghurts, cheese, sausages, omelette, scrambled eggs, nothing you could think about was missing. However, the quality of the food was not always convincing. Maybe it might be better not to have everything, but a smaller choice of food but of high quality. For example the juice was not freshly squeezed which would have been really nice with the number of tropical local fruits that are available on the island.
We did not have the dinner in the hotel, but in a local roulotte just a few meters down the road, so nothing we could say about that. There is a grocery store within a 5 minutes walk from the hotel, where you can buy snacks and drinks so that you don’t have to spent money on expensive drinks in the hotel.

If you got further questions or want to comment or see some more pictures you can visit our blog:

Room Tip: The beach bungalow was really nice!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed at this resort for a 9 night/10 day all inclusive honeymoon. Having never been to this island or anywhere in French Polynesia, we really didn't know what to expect but we were blown away by how beautiful the island, the property, and the people were. After the chaos of planning a wedding, all we wanted was some rest and relaxation together and we got it.

We stayed on one of the overwater bungalows and our package included breakfast and a three course dinner for two each night. The bungalow was beautiful and well equipped with everything we needed, plus it had a glass cutout in the floor so we could watch the fishes swim by!

The food was amazing! We didn't want to eat anywhere else! Having travelled in quite a few locations I can honestly say the variety at this one establishment is unbelievable. And the presentation is picture worthy everynight.

The offer activity packages on site for you to purchase to see and do things around the island, a luau every Saturday and Wednesday night, and the spa is definitely not to be missed!

Oh and don't forget to lay out by the lovely pool.

Hope to be able to go back some day!

Room Tip: The overwater bungalows were very quiet and we have been told they are the only ones on the island t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Moorea Pearl Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!