“Expect Nothing Less - Rixos has it all” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rixos Sharm El Sheikh

You added Rixos Sharm El Sheikh to your Saves list
Rixos Sharm El Sheikh
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Nabq Bay, Nabq Bay, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt   |
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Nabq Bay
Antrim
“Expect Nothing Less - Rixos has it all”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Returned to my home just over two weeks ago, and my goodness how one can get very used to having the best of everything, I just want to go back on the next flights. This was our fifth time staying at what used to be called the Royal Grand Azure, and now the “RIXOS” hotel, and there have been many changes over the past two years. Many new additions to this beautiful resort, one is the magnificent Spa complex, sheer luxury – and everything you can enjoy and relax. The decor is absolutely superb, and without doubt the staff, as always are most courteous and welcoming, and if you have been previously to this hotel, the original personnel plus are now in the new Spa. This is the place I book my first appointments for five treatments, and it sure is the best.
Before I go any further in this report, can I just re-iterate the great welcome that is received as always by Karam and his team, the folk in the reception, the Guest Relations team Bella, Kelly and all the new people who have worked with Rixos organisation, who are very talented with many languages – you are made so welcome, and for me it is my home when I am there with everyone.
There are two very large dining restaurants, one is the Nefertiti , where we enjoyed excellent food, a great selection for all, and if you have a sweet tooth, the choice is endless. Chef Cinar, Chef Sherif and all the chefs who I have had the pleasure to know, cannot do enough for you – if there is something you want, just ask. They, along with the Restaurant Managers and the waiting staff, are most polite and always courteous, and most of all a pleasure to be amongst. The pleasant atmosphere, and the ambience in the Nefertiti is so relaxing, and with such a variety of food, who needs anything else.
The other very large restaurant –“Zodiac” is for families, and caters for a large number of people, barbeque style food is also served on a number of evenings, as well as the large selection in the dining room, so no reason to go hungry. The Al a Carte restaurants are in this complex, all excellent. Chef Alaa, and a number of the other people I have met on previous times, had just gone on vacation, but we will all catch up again later this year.
Now, for all those people who have young children, there is a "Rixy Club", a new complex has been organised, and has everything to offer. The childrens rest rooms, classrooms, outside area for playing, the boys and girls toilet facilities all beautifully decorated, the eating area for the children excellently laid out, and not forgetting most of all, they have a very well qualified staff for taking care of all them all. There is an area outside the complex where the children have their own vegetable garden, and are shown how to grow the different plants – it is just excellent, and most secure.
The other folk who take care to make sure that you enjoy your vacation are the guys who sort out your towels/ sunbeds – they do give you the first class treatment every time, each day. We as always, occupy an excellent room, and are lucky to have the cleaning all done early morning – and on a number of occasions there is a surprise of towel decorations, which are quite spectacular , all the little additives that are pleasing to the eye.

The restaurant ‘ Hatmehit Sea Food’ has now been erected just alongside the front of the beach, with seating outside and inside, and if you are a real fish eater, you will love this restaurant. Of course, not forgetting all the other restaurants – all excellent, and with wonderful food, along with great staff, who are most helpful – this hotels moto is “Except nothing less” it sure does ‘ what it says on the tin’ so to speak.
A new introduction to the hotel complex, are the Cabanas – all with very calming decor, and all that you need in them. I have not availed of one myself –as I just love the sun too much. They are costly, but then again when on holiday, try out everything.
I really only have one suggestion and that is, that the Management of the hotel, use one of the ‘Cabanas’ as a Hospitality Desk.
There is a ‘Sentry Box’ type of desk already installed just down from the Hatmehit Sea Food Restaurant, this type of desk is usually manned by a Guard to the entrance of Security buildings, and there is definitely no worry about security at this hotel, or throughout the Sharm El Sheikh Resort – to me it is the safest place in the world.

For those who are reading my report – you should just go out to Sharm El Sheikh, and enjoy this beautiful hotel, and all it has to offer – you will want to return. One group of people I could not forget to mention, and that is all the gardeners, the whole area is beautifully kept, no withering bushes or flowers, even petals, they are all cleared away very quickly.
Attached some photographs showing a small portion of what is on offer, some of the childrens play area, and play room and gardens.

One band of men one could not forget, and that is the gardenders who keep the hotel grounds, plants and trees in exceptional condition, they start work very early in the morning, and any loose petals, or debris is all away by the time you are heading off to breakfast. It is a lovely sight in the morning to see such superb grounds, and then to catch up with the sun daily.

I have some lovely photos of the food presentation in the Nefertiti, and Zodiac restaurants, the childrens "Rixy" Club, but unfortunately I am not able to get them connected, perhaps I will on my next report.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are situated in good areas, it would just depend on whether to like to hear the mus...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelly W, Manager at Rixos Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear anreimse

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of your stay here with us.

We would also like to thank you for your continued support of Rixos Sharm el Sheikh.

We are so pleased you are impressed with the improvements we have made and we look forward to welcoming you back for your 6th visit.

sharmelsheikh@rixos.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Herent, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We have spent some great holidays in Rixos Sharm El Sheikh with a group of 7. We went during the Belgian Easter holidays for 12 days.

Having read some comments on tripadvisor, we were happy that the Russian Easter holidays were one week earlier than ours. That's why we were quite astonished to arrive in a Russian colony. However, we have to admit that except some rudeness to the staff and very few smiles and happy faces, we did not experience any trouble. We stayed most of the time at the quiet, non-heated, Laguna pool and as our holidays went on, we got more and more surrounded by Belgian and British people.

The mini club:
A big thank you to the Rixos mini club. Ok, it was all Russian, and my 4-year old daughter is now making weird (Russian?) sounds, but both of my children had fun during the activities. It is a very nice playground and there is lots of material to play with. As our children could make some Flemish friends, it did not bother they could not understand anything. Moreover, they do make efforts to speak English or even some Dutch words with the children. The mini disco every evening was big fun.

The main restaurant:
As we went there with a family of 7 and booked with VIP selection for a holiday of 12 days, I felt a little bit disappointed in the service offered compared to the price that was paid for the holiday. There is no continuity at all in the service offered. Some people get everything, some people get nothing. Some waiters help you with everything, some waiters don't. We are used to first being offered good service, and then giving a nice tip to the waiter to thank him. In the main restaurant it is the other way round: you first need to give a nice tip, and then you can get a drink. And it is not even a guarantee. I guess it is impossible for them to remember who has given a tip and who has not. One evening I only got a drink because I took a bottle of water from an empty table and I had to drink it from the bottle because there was no glass. They are however very experienced in clearing the tables. At the start of the holidays, we were still giving a lot of tips because we thought this might help. But at the end we gave up a little bit. I wonder if you can blame the personnel for the lack of service. You literally see the same people at breakfast, at lunch and at dinner. They are overloaded. But I would rather have a self-service bar where I can get my drinks myself than having to wait and hope for a drink.

The a la carte restaurants:
What a relieve to get some service! This is really a big plus to the hotel. We booked the Indian, Sea Food and Italian. Great food, great service, great atmosphere. I liked it very much. I regret not having booked the other restaurants.

Restaurant at the beach:
Just like a lot of other things at the hotel we discovered by accident that you can also eat every day a la carte during lunch at the sea food restaurant. We went there nearly every lunch. Very nice change to the main restaurant, very nice waiters and great view.

The Rixos Cab service:
The domain is very big, so we did not have a chance to gain too much weight because of all the walking. Only at the middle of our holidays a Rixos cab service was available to drive everyone around the hotel. This is very nice when travelling with children.

The family room:
I did like the family room very much. The parent's room is separated from the children's room by a window (and curtain) and a door. There is plenty of space. Very nice shower. Both parents and children have a TV (not that you would need it). There is a dutch speaking channel. It was very clean. In the beginning, I was a bit disappointed not to see any swans and crocodiles despite the tips, but I think after a change in personnel (here again, no continuity in the service!) we did receive the whole art work every day. Fantastic how much creativity they can put in making up a room! The view from the backside of building 4 is not superb, but there was not too much noise except from the wind.

The trips:
We booked our trips via Jetair. We liked very much the discovery jeep safari, the city tour and the hamam treatment. We did not like at all the seascope. Really too expensive to sit one hour and a half in a non-airconditioned bus with a russian speaking guide, one hour on a boat and finally one hour on the same non-airconditioned bus. You can go to Plopsaland all day and have dinner for the same money.
Would I book this hotel again? Yes, but then I would try to book all a la carte restaurants, so that I would not have to eat that often in the main restaurant. I would also check in advance the holiday periods of our eastern European friends. And I would take into account an even bigger budget for tips to all the staff.

Dear Reismama_DVDB

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay here with us.

Thank you for your comments regarding the service, these have been forwarded to our Food and Beverage Management, regarding tipping this is not compulsary and is at the discretion of our guests, the service team do however try to provide a high standard service regardless of receiving tips or not. Als he at Rixos Sharm el Sheikh we do offer several outlets for our guests to enjoy their lunch and dinner, aswell as the Zodiac Family Buffet we have 2 snack bars and 1 beach resturaunt serving hot and cold food throughout the day.

Of course we are still making changes and improving our resort step by step and we look forward to welcoming you back in order for you to see our progress.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

If this was down to the hotel only and not my overall experience it would be 5 star every time. We were at the hotel from 6th to 15th April 2013, and are a family of 4 with two teenage children. This hotel is the cleanest hotel we have ever stayed at in Egypt, and we have stayed at many of the top 10 hotels in Sharm in the past. It is impecable, and the facilities are immense. Literally anything you could think of that you would want in a hotel is there. The rooms are amazing, extremely spacious and luxurious. We had 2 deluxe rooms ( 2 people in each) and it was very good. Contrary to recent reviews we thought the staff were great. Really get the sense that they want to do everything to make your stay enjoyable. The location is great if you want to relax, as it is near all of the attractions of Sharm if you want them, but the hotels size means that you can literally find a pool that is quiet ( there are nine pools). The beach area is great aswell, with the beach bar being a real highlight. The food is not as good as we were expecting, but still ok by egypt hotel standards. But one downside are the amount of russians and germans staying at the hotel. I understand that when it was the "Royal Grand Azure" there were far more english than eastern europeans but now it is very much the other way around and english are certainly the minority despite the hotel seemingly being geared towards the english. Another downside is the sheer size of the place, in that it works both ways it is good for relaxation but the hotel sacrifices atmosphere because of it. Overall a very good stay, and an amazing hotel in a good position. Let down by the atmosphere and slightly the sheer size of the place, but otherwise v.good.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor and ask for a pool/sea view otherwise you will not get it no matter what room yo...
Dear Calhan

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay here with us.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay. During the Winter months the European Market was slightly quiet due to us not being advertised in any brochures etc. However during the summer we have a wide variety of European Tour Operators working with us.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Bruges, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have real mixed feelings abouth this hotel. If it wasnt for the attitude of the staff, i could rank it easily to a good 5* all inclusive resort in Sharm and recommend it to friends and family, but....

Staff miss so much style, class and courtesy. Many speak better Russian then English and
are also more intrested in serving them then the handfull of Europeans.
queing to make a reservation at one of the a la carte restaurants, was a joke with the russian
guestrelation, who prefered giving proirity to her compatriots.
Explaining the most simple things, was impossible with moments.

Staff at the spa are extremaly pushy and feel offended when you finally ask them to leave u alone.
I dont need a guy sitting on my mattress at the pool, starting a massage, when i said 10 times friendly NO!
I also dont need to tell my whole life to every member of the staff. A little bit distance would be
appropriate.
They just dont have any feeling of respect for female hotelguests and i also catched them many times laughing and insulting women,not knowing i understand Arabic....... :)))))

One member of the staff invited me to have a drink in town with him alone, after a friendly "NO thank you", he kept on asking me why not and feld offcorse offended.
I can go on and on, but after a while i realy got the feeling, they got angry with me, because i
started to ignore them completaly.

I speak in general, there is also a handfull of staff who do have the courtesy to understand that
i just wanted a relaxed and quiet holiday on my own, with my daughter.
My roomboy was a real gentleman, who spoke good english and always understood when there
was a problem. Always approached me in a descent way. A credit to the hotel !

People from animation also very polite, never pushy, the right people for a 5* hotel.
F&B manager who i spoke with is also on the right place.

Its a beautifull hotel, good food, but 80% of the staff should better move to a 3* hotel where
they can play and have fun with the Russians as much as they can.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a week's holiday at the Rixos in Sharm and there are lots of very good things to say about this hotel. This was our third visit to Sharm and we enjoyed this hotel more than the Ritz Carlton or the Grand Rotana.

Having to go in the Easter (school) holidays does mean that you are always paying a premium for your holiday so you do expect high standards and this hotel does deliver in many areas. However I have stayed at the Rixos in Belek (prior to it becoming premium) and we have visited resorts in Mexico and the standard of customer care is far superior there (whatever you may think of Americans they know how to demand high standards and they get it!). As the Rixos chain have only recently acquired this hotel (Oct 2012) I imagine that they are well on the way to getting it the way they want it to be so I think it will continue to improve at a rapid pace.

Firstly Kelly and Bella in guest relations are excellent. We found them to be professional and helpful and they do a marvellous job. Next our room was absolutely beautiful - we opted for an executive suite with a plunge pool and it was fantastic with lots of space and the biggest bathroom I have ever seen. I also liked the window between the bathroom and the bedroom. Outside there were sun loungers and we were provided with beach towels regularly. The view was simply stunning! The mini bar was replenished daily and our cleaner always left us plenty of water. I cannot fault the room or the upkeep!

The spa facilities were good and we enjoyed an Egyptian medical massage - it would have been nice to have been provided with a robe and this is something they need to consider as I was cold sat in a wet towel waiting in the relaxation area.

The gym is very well equipped with a really lovely instructor who is more than happy to show you the equipment and how to use it properly. All of he equipment is very new and I never found it overly busy.

As we were staying in one of the executive suites we were given access to the Executive Lounge which was really good and the food was of an excellent standard. The waiter, Mohammed, is excellent (in a different class to the rest of the waiters) and we enjoyed the few times we used this facility. My only complaint would be the awful, formal furnishings (it looks as if the Lord Mayor is coming to dine!) but I imagine Rixos will change this in due course.

The hotel is vast and the grounds are beautiful and there are plenty of pools to choose from all of which are immaculately kept. We drank at the beach bar every night and the staff were lovely. I was disappointed that I couldn't find any Bombay Sapphire gin anywhere but the Piano bar offered branded spirits and the staff were very attentive here. I also agree with the review about the half glass of sparkling wine - order 4 as you will never get a full glass!

So what are the negatives - well if you are flying with Thomas Cook prepare yourself as the leg room is a joke. The airport experience on arrival is very stressful with lots of shouting and people pushing in then you will find your bags piled up - you end up laughing about it as it so badly organised. The drive to the hotel is awful (thankfully very short) I was quite shocked by how run down the area outside the hotel is; it is terrible. I don't remember Sharm being this bad and I suppose it reflects the troubles elsewhere in the country.

With regards to the hotel, check in was a bit of a let down with no drink offered etc. Also I don't understand the bracelets - nobody seems to wear them so why have them? But to be honest the biggest problem/let down for us is that the adult only restaurant, Nefertiti, was closed throughout our stay for refurbishment. This meant that everyone is dining at the Zodiac for breakfast and the majority for lunch too. The service just isn't good enough for 5 star and management know this. We did notice it improve as the holiday went on but it still needs to get better.
On the first night I left my cardigan on the back of the chair with two full glasses of wine on the table only to return with a hot plate of food to find that the waiter had removed our belongings and given our table away! Not a great start. The problem is that the waiters are new and they are more interested in clearing tables than resetting them so you end up searching for a table for some time and then having to ask a waiter to set it for you. My husband had to go and get cutlery etc. a few times which isn't what you expect. We were rarely offered a drink (although we were always able to grab the coffee trolley in the morning) on an evening or at lunch. Some of the staff were friendly but on the whole I did not find them particularly friendly and some of them were absolutely miserable! I'm not expecting them to be performing chimps, always smiling and putting on a show but I would like them to smile a bit. I am sure this is something Rixos are working on because my experience does not seem to reflect other reviews.

With regards to the other restaurants we tried all of them except the Sushi and they were very good especially the Egyptian restaurant where we definitely received the best service. The problem with the restaurants is that they are mainly based in one place, "World of Cuisines" which is a shame as the Rixos in Belek has them spread out all over the resort so it feels like a different experience every night (I appreciate that Rixos did not design this resort). Here the only difference is the colour of the carpet and the pictures on the walls (they have made a bit more of an effort with the Chinese restaurant). Decoration aside, the main problem is that these restaurants are big but they offer approximately four sittings each hour from 6.30 to 9.30 and for each sitting they have 9 tables available with a maximum of 100 people per evening; the result is that you end up eating your meal in a huge room with very few other people and there is absolutely zero atmosphere! It all feels very rushed too; obviously as you have to be out before the next sitting. The seafood restaurant feels slightly different as it is next to the beach but it is still lacking atmosphere. Rixos need to rethink this system as it could be a lot better; it's not empty because people don't turn up- it's empty because you only have a limited number of slots per sitting. Also it would be a good idea to make a bar upstairs for people to have a pre dinner drink - if you arrive early you are either sent away or told to sit on a sofa and wait. My husband had to ask every time if it was possible to have a drink; they were very accommodating and we got one immediately but it would be much better if there was an area to sit and relax prior to your meal rather than be sat listening to the air hockey and video games down stairs (please get rid of these as they really spoil the whole feel of going into dinner!).

As for the Russians we did not find them a problem although they do tend to stick to the big pool mostly. I imagine they keep guest relations busy when they drink too much!

Overall this is a good hotel that has the potential to be very good and I am sure that managment are on the case and standards will continue to improve. As for us I don't think we will return to Sharm; living in the all inclusive "bubble" is all very well but venture outside and it's a very different story.

Room Tip: If you want to treat yourself then get a private pool as they are lovely!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We got back from the Rixos on the 1st April. This was our 2nd trip to Sharm. The Staff at the Rixos are lovely caring and fun. The hotel is good but as with most places has room for improvement. There are plenty of Russians staying, but they can be avoided and are not so bad. The main criticism is the loud music and Karaoke which the Rixos stage in the middle of the complex and blast out till midnight. Fine if your into it, but with young kids can be annoying. On the plus side: Ahmed the Taxi Driver, Honey the bell boy, Ahmed on the pools who is getting married made the Holiday exceptionally good. There are plenty more of the staff I could go onto name who made a fantastic effort to make sure our stay was good. In particular the way they interacted with our 6 year old son, always having time for a quick game with him. On another point I would also like to recommend that if you want to go snorkelling or diving, then you cant beat chartering a boat to yourselves ( will cost the same as a trip). On our first visit we met a diver called Sammy, who will arrange everything from picking you up, hiring equipment and ensuring the boat is ready and waiting with drinks and a good lunch. Furthermore his expertise and knowledge of the Red Sea in the local is second to non and He will ensure that you have a fantastic safe day out. Get in touch with him sameh.yossef.37@facebook.com or +201002822964. We made loads of good friends on this holiday and cant wait to return in July.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sandbach, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Excellent hotel would love to go back tomorrow. We walked past the other hotels in the area and it looked to be the best. The staff were fantastic it was good to have a restaurant that was devoid of screaming children. Booking into the restaurants was not the most organised the sushi restaurant was the worst just got back to the main restaurant for food in time!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelly W, Manager at Rixos Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Rosemary Z

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay here with us.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay, we will change our booking for a la carte to be via a touch screen kiosk and this will be available to our guests 24 hours so will be more convenient.

sharmelsheikh@rixos.com

Been to Rixos Sharm El Sheikh? Share your experiences!