“4 Star at best” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rixos Sharm El Sheikh

Save Saved
You added Rixos Sharm El Sheikh to your Saves list
Rixos Sharm El Sheikh
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Nabq Bay, Nabq Bay, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt   |
Ranked #2 of 29 hotels in Nabq Bay
Leicester, UK
“4 Star at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Upon reading these positive reviews it prompted me to book here over Christmas for a week and what a disappointment it has been! How some reviews are stating this can be the best hotel in Sharm is shocking, I wonder if they are affiliated with the hotel in some way? No doubt Rixos is a great chain we have stayed at both Antalya and Belek but this Rixos in Sharm is a shadow of the others.

5 days before leaving I contacted Kelly to arrange transfers from the airport and specifically asked for a luxury car, it took three chaser emails and three days to get a reply I was eventually quoted and confirmed the booking, to my surprise I was picked up by an old Kia saloon and was not luxury by any stretch! When I queried this with the Taxi desk they advised that Kelly quoted me for the economy vehicle and that's what I paid for! I was not even quoted for what I requested!

On arrival we were not offered a drink and were sat to fill out forms and get our documents copied, we asked for Kelly who was not available we were eventually taken to our room which was not sea view contrary to our confirmation from Thomas Cook.

Our initial room was poor due to smelling towels and wardrobes so we immediately complained and again asked for Kelly however she was not available again (perhaps due to having lunch with other guests?) we ask for a callback which was not forthcoming so an hour later we called back and spoke to Oussama at reception who was helpful in getting our room changed however it was not sea view, that didn't bother us because the so called sea view wasn't really sea view either and at the time as we just wanted a clean room! In our 7 days we were not once introduced to or heard from Kelly!

I must also make a point that this hotel is directly in the path one of the runways of Sharm Airport which means you will regularly see and hear planes just a few hundred feet over your heads I thinks that's a huge setback especially if you going to relax and try and snooze on the beach!

The beds were the most uncomfortable i have come across, each morning I had to stretch to get rid of the aches, the mattresses are very old and they try to mitigate that by putting mattress toppers that really don't do the trick.

The food was average drinks and juices tasted watered down and not really at the standard one expects at a so called 5 star hotel.

The positives I would say are the lower level staff, they all are very helpful and you would always see smiles on their faces especially house keeping staff Ahmed Elmohsen and restaurant manager Khaled Ali. The gardens are also well kept and the spa is always clean.

I would say 95% was occupied by Russians and 5% all other nationalities its no wonder they are trying to drive more British tourists.

In conclusion I would never stay here again in-fact I have got my nephew to cancel his honeymoon here in March and loose the deposit as I believe this is and should be classed as a 4 star hotel, the furniture in the rooms are tired and lobbies are dull it's a long way from being a 5 star. If you can get this hotel at 4 star prices I.e. £50 a night for 2 adults then it's justified any more and you will be disappoint.

We have previously stayed at the Marriott Renaissance and the Hilton Fayrouz and would say both are miles better!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

2,272 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed at this hotel from the 18th December to 25th December 2012. Upon arrival from Four Seasons and my first impression about this hotel, I had my reservations about this hotel, as we were comparing this hotel to Four Seasons.

After check in, we requested to see Kelly, whom I had contacted whilst in the UK and had heard about her, who quickly came to greet us. After booking directly we requested a free upgrade which was granted from Superior to Deluxe and were allocated room no: 3236. This hotel is beautifully built and we found the staff very sociable and hospitable.

We decided to have our first dinner in the Raj Restaurant (Indian). Whilst having our dinner, the hotel arranged a surprise cake for my 40th Birthday. I was totally gobsmacked as I didn't expect such a surprise. The following day we were surprised with another cake for our 17th Wedding Anniversary. During our stay we decided to upgrade our room to the Junior Suite, which was granted by Kelly and we were allocated room no: 14002. This room was very well located, overlooking one of the pools and well decorated. We wish to thank Ahmed who was our housekeeper for room no: 3236 and we wish to thank Mohammed, our housekeeper for room no: 14002.

We also made a reservation in the Callaina Restaurant (Italian). We found the food to be excellent. We wish to thank Emad (Manager/Supervisor), Mahmood (Cristiano Ronaldo Look-alike), Saad Ali Sameh (Chef) and Mahmood Goumaa.

The remaining of our stay, we had our breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Zodiac, as the food was very good and the staff were very polite, hospitable and sociable. We wish to thank Yasser whom we became very close to and the main man and our good friend Ibrahim Saber whom we will always remember.

On 24th December 2012, Kelly kindly accepted our invitation to have our last dinner with her, which we really appreciated. Kelly is always busy and for her to have dinner with us was one of the highlights of our stay at this hotel. In our opinion Kelly works extremely hard and is an asset to this hotel.

We found all the staff to be extremely friendly and sociable and would like to thank Kelly, Bella and Evgenia, who always took time to say hello and have conversations with us.

We highly recommend this hotel to everyone especially the British as you will be in good hands with Kelly and her team.

We also like to thank Ahmed (Ahamadou), who is based at the Pool Bar near room 14002. He always took time to greet us with a smile and would always invite us for a cup of tea and biscuits. On our last night at the hotel, he made us a very tasty cocktail, which we can still taste in our mouths.

Thanks again to all the staff for looking after us and apologies to those staff we have forgotton to mention and for making our stay a very memorable one. We hope to return to this hotel with our children.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
RGASharm, Manager at Rixos Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Jaweed

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of your stay here with us at Rixos Sharm el Sheikh.

We are so pleased you had a great birthday and anniversary, we are extremely happy that you chose to celebrate it here with us.

All your thanks have been passed on to the mentioned team members. It was my pleasure to have dinner with you and was great to listen to your comments and hear about you previous experiences i could have happily sat with you for hours!

It was a pleasure to have you stay here with us and we really hope to see you back here in the future with your family to share another memorable experience.

Happy New Year.

MIDDLESBROUGH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed at the Rixos Sharm El Sheikh between 20th Dec and 27th Dec 2012. This will have been our 5th visit to this hotel and we have already booked to go back in March 2013. As none of the UK tour operators had agreed a contract with the hotel (Thomas Cook is now taking bookings for this hotel) we booked the flights and rooms and transfers separate.

The flight was booked with Thomson and the hotel was booked via the Rixos website our transfers were booked via Sun Transfers. The flight was on time and we were met at the airport by our driver from Sun Transfers who escorted us to a very large and very clean car and it only took 10 minutes to arrive at our Hotel. The cost of a return transfer was 20 Euro and I would recommend Sun Transfers for your transfer from and to Sharm Airport.

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by Karim who warmly welcomed us back and then we were offer a welcome drink whilst checking in. Check in was quick and very efficient and we were allocated the room we had previously requested in block 3, we were meeting my sister and her husband at the hotel and they had arrived some 5 hours before us and had already been allocated a room at the very end of the hotel complex, with the assistance of Bella and the very efficient check in staff they arranged for my sister to be upgraded and moved to block 3 next door to us which was a very nice thing for the hotel to do (a very big thank you Bella and please pass on our thanks to the member of reception staff who arranged the room changes) .

The rooms are very large, spacious and clean and well equipped with TV, fridge, hairdryer, tea and coffee making facilities, safe and minibar which is replenished every day with soft drinks, beer and water. Our cleaner Mohammed cleaned the room daily and changed the bedding and towels every day and filled up the tea and coffee and the minibar.

The changes that have occurred at the hotel since a change in ownership have only added to what was already a very good hotel into an excellent hotel.

The hotel is very clean and the grounds and pools are immaculate. The hotel has an adult’s only restaurant (Nefertiti) for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the Zodiac restaurant is available to all guests again for breakfast, lunch and dinner and midnight snacks.

The hotel boasts 6 A la Carte Restaurants, Callaina Italian, Feng Shui Chinese, Papyrus Oriental Egyptian, Sakura Japanese Sushi, Taj Mahal Indian, and Hatmehit Seafood. We tried the Italian, Chinese, and Indian all of which were excellent.

This hotel has added a fully equipped fitness centre gym, which I did not try but did see a lot of other guests using it, also a spa and steam room, sauna and Jacuzzi and Turkish bath.

The food is always varied and plenty of it, for each meal of the day and snacks in-between main meal times. You will not go hungry at this hotel.

The beach is clean and hosts a beach restaurant which acts as a snack bar during the day and the seafood restaurant on an evening and has a new toilet block on the beach.

The pools are many and one is heated which is quite busy and can be quite noisy so we chilled out at the pool opposite the Zodiac restaurant which was very quiet most of the time (when our Russian friends were asleep).

The hotel is mainly patronised by Russian guests and this is because of the delay in UK tour operators signing new contracts albeit Thomas Cook are now offering this hotel and Thomson are supposed to also be offing this hotel from January 2013.

We mainly stayed in the piano bar on an evening and therefore cannot really comment on the entertainment only to say that the hotel does bring in professional artists for evening entertainment.

A very big mention and thank you must go to Samir. Mr George, Islam, Suzanna and Mohammed 343 from the Piano Bar for making sure our drinks were always cold and replenished and for all the fun and jokes we shared.

We believe that this hotel is the best in Sharm EL Sheikh and are so looking forward to returning in March 2013 to what has now become our second home.

If you have any questions about this hotel please email me and I will give you an honest reply.
Marilynn and John

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Caretaker

It is always a pleasure to have you stay here with us and would like to thank you for your continued support.

Your comments and thanks have been passed on to the mentioned team members.

We all look forward to welcoming you back for your 6th visit very soon.

Happy New Year.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Had a truly amazing time at the Rixos Sharm El Sheikh Resort . After deciding that I wasn't going to spend another Christmas in London doing the same old, (eat, drink and feel the cold) I was recommended this hotel by my managing director who stayed there 2 months previous. After looking during the whole of November, I found the best price on Expedia, baring in mind I travelled alone. When I arrived I made sure I made reservations in all 6 of their restaurants for the week and only had my breakfast and lunch either at the pool bars, (Lagoon Bar my fav) or the main restaurants. My favorite was at Hatmehit Seafood A la Carte where I dined for Christmas, it was truly delicious. A few others would be Papyrus Oriental and Sakura Japanese A la Carte. My room was very spacious, comfortable and was cleaned exceptionally well. The scenery was breath taking, I was well looked after by all the staff members in particular the team at the Billards Bar, where I spent most of my evenings, I was even sent fresh fruits, chocolates and a Christmas stocking full of little treats to my room which was very thoughtful. I Would like to say a special thank you to the team at the Billards Bar, Tarek A. Elsattar, Abdol, Mohamed Fadl, Tarek (best cocktail maker) and also Amedeo and Chef at the Lagoon Bar for making me not wanting to leave.If your looking for safe, friendly and exciting excursions, all you have to do is cross the road and visit Magic Tours, Abdula or his brother Mohamed will take great care of you and i promise you will not be disappointed (most trusted).
If you do decide to stay at the Rixos just bare in mind that 1 week is not enough.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Tanya G

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay here with us at Rixos Sharm el Sheikh.

We are pleased you had such an enjoyable stay and your thanks has been passed onto the mentioned team members.

We hope to see you back here in the future....for more than one week.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

well what can i say about this hotel its amazing one of the best i have stayed in, in sharm .hotel is brand new very mordern , rooms lovely , pools amazing , staff amazing especially sammy at the beach bar go and see him he makes fab cocktails and hammed at the pool bar could not do enough for you , food amazing , we went on december 12 -2012 weather was amazing very hot still. the only thing negative i have to say about this hotel is the russians they seem to have taken over the hotel and they are very nast , rude , horrid ppl ,but you do learn to ignore them i would'nt let them put you off this amazing hotel . My egyptian freinds have asked me to tell more english ppl about this hotel they need english ppl at this hotel as egyptians love the english i will e going back in 2013 cant wait .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Shorty301

We are currently working on more European contacts and we are also available to book with Thomas Cook UK now so over the coming months we will have a wider variety of nationalities.

Once again thank you for your comments we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just got back from staying at the Rixos in Sharm, spent our Christmas there. We were a little worried on hearing about the refurbishment and whether there was going to be any building work. We were so plesantly surprised to be welcomed be a lovely site of the hotel, by far the best looking hotel around the area, it almost seem quite out of place! There was just a little building work to an area opposite the beach which can be a little annoying when your trying to sunbath, but remember this would only be tempory. We arrived on 20th December and the sun shone everyday with blue skies, it was very warm, averaging about 23 to 24 degrees, just to warn you, it can get windy and evening much cooler.

You will not be disappointed with the room, we was upgraded to a deluxe room which was very large for the three of us, myself and two grown teenage children. My comment would be the room only has a queen bed, (matress and pillow a little hard) and they bought in two fold away single beds for my son, which was not ideal for him being over 6 fooot! in this room they could easily have enough room to have another queen bed, but obviously this was not the case, I believe they do have a room with two double beds which is much smaller, because there was three of us the larger room suited us better and we had to just make do with the foldaway, they did try to accommodate us, but we liked our room and was quite happy with it.

The complex is large, modern contempory and spacious, not you typical square box hotel, very fitting and plesant to the eye. The pools were many, but only one heated at this time of year, other pools were freezing cold. Food is quite impressive to look at, taste is very good, can be a little predicatable by end of week, but lots of choices for every taste. Mohamed, who is part of the food and beverage management at the Zodiac was great, very attentive and gave great service at the Zodiac restaurant, For a change try a la carte we only tried the Chinese which is good, this was included in our package. Lots of activities to join in, ie yoga, step aerobics, belly dancing and many more. Massages is great, recommend "Hind" if you like deep tissue and reflex pressure points.

I would certainly recommend the Rixos, this was our first time in Egypt Sharm, and I am sure one day we will go back to the Rixos again. Enjoy..

Room Tip: we was in room 4012 opposite the pool near reception and restaurant which was convenient, but we lik...