After the negative reviews on this hotel we were a little apprehensive as what to expect. We went with the attitude of "oh well its a week in the sun" but we were more than a little surprised.
The layout of this hotel is fantastic. Five pools in total, set in rocks amongst bridges and palm trees, very picturesque. In fact one of the best hotel settings I've been to.
The staff are constantly cleaning, early morning there are staff in the pool cleaning it, the pool boys are washing all the sunbeds and I notice someone spaying the grounds around the pool presumably with insect repelant. The gardens are also kept immaculate.
We had a junior suite, which was a really a good size, big walk in wardrobe and bathroom. English movies shown - channels 17 and 18 I think - not that I could drag myself out of the sun but out 14 year old is not quite into the sunbathing ritual yet so it suited him.
Ate in the buffet the first night. I'm not a great fan of buffets so will not say too much, except as far as Egyptian standard of buffets go I would say this is one of the better ones food wise. Two small improvements in my opinion would help at breakfast - install another toaster (one for the whole restaurant?) and turn the heat up, the bread had to be fed through three times before it was brown. There are two egg stations each with one chef cooking all the eggs (and some guests can order two omletts and thee fired in one go) as they are all cooked from fresh the que understanderbley can get quite lenghthy, if they had two chefs on each side it would surley make things far quicker.
The next day went to see guest relations (Laura) who booked all our a la cartes in one go - result!
The Indian restaurant was exceptional both food and service, definitely my favourite, followed by the Chinese then Italian and Egyptian.
We ate mostly at the beach restaurant at lunchtime, not a huge menu, pizza, hot sandwiches, salad etc. all very good and over looking the beach its a nice setting for a relaxed lunch. The only negative here is you can't get a glass of wine with your lunch - g and t or beer etc yes but not wine (management take note I think there were others thought this was strange too).
The pool bar does a small selection of paninis with chips for lunch which were good. The bar staff here were excellent and deserve a special mention. The hours they work is unbelievable, they would open by ten in the morning and believe me I was in bed long before they were. We spent much of our evenings here before and after dinner, the barmen are really friendly and chatty, how they keep smiling with some of the abrupt manners of certain demanding guests is beyond me!
Evening entertainment was not our thing. They do a kiddie disco followed by the animation team doing something or other. On two nights we noticed there was outside entertainment brought in, Egyptian dancers and a fire juggler or something. We did try to find an information board for the animation team as my son would have liked to join in the football but couldn't find one anywhere. Guest relations would have answered my query if we pursued it but he wasn't that bothered.
Kelly at guest relations shoul get a special mention as she was very helpful prior to my arrival.
We used the hotel taxi service for an evening in namma bay - 140 Egyptian return. Nice air conditioned cars with friendly drivers.
The Union Jack bar across the road is ideal if you want to see the footie. We didn't eat here but saw some of the food coming out and it looked pretty good.
Overall we had a really good holiday here, it suited our needs perfectly. Great weather a choice of a la cartes so we could keep the evening buffet to a minimum. We would definitely go back for another week at this time of year as long as it does not clash with Ramadan as I think this is when all the previous complains have occurred. The positives this hotel has to offer by far out weighs any negatives.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Grand Azure Hotel Nabq Bay
- Royal Grand Azure Hotel
- Rixos Sharm El Sheikh Egypt - Nabq Bay
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 198 Superior Rooms, 290 Deluxe Rooms, 70 Family Rooms and 137 Junior Suites are spread around this beautifully designed modern resort. Several swimming pools wind there way between buildings or there is a gorgeous stretch of beach providing our guests with lots of options on where to spend their days. There are even 3 water slides to entertain the young and the young at heart. Try snorkeling from the wooden jetty or merely a stroll at sunset to see the magnificence of the underworld of the Red Sea. Dining choices include international buffet or choose from the World of Cuisines, with Chinese, Indian, Sushi, Italian, Sea Food or a taste of Egypt. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, Orbitz and Venere so you can book your Rixos Sharm El Sheikh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.