“Sunshine in Sharm!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oriental Resort Sharm El Sheikh

You added Oriental Resort Sharm El Sheikh to your Saves list
Oriental Resort Sharm El Sheikh
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Nabq Bay | South Sinai, Nabq Bay, Sharm El Sheikh 002069, Egypt   |
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Nabq Bay
uk
“Sunshine in Sharm!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

My husband & I have just arrived back after spending 10 days at the Oriental Resort & we both had a fabulous time. We would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing holiday. We have been charmed by all the staff at the hotel & feel thouroughly spoilt!
My husband did a 5 day diving trip with Aqua Nabq who are based on the beach. I went snorkelling 1 day & we would definately recommend them.
We will be back!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
cambridge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

My partner and i have just returned from Sharm in Egypt,we stayed at the Oriental Resort hotel,we got back this morning the 21st November. Our plane was delayed by an hour on arrival to the oriental resort, which meant that we got to Oriental resort 22:15,NO WELCOME at all,in fact we knew we made the biggest mistake by staying
here by the attitude of the staff,we missed dinner,all inclusive resturant closes at 22:00,we were told by the reception staff we could order room service at a charge of course,bearing in mind we got there only 15 mins late. we were then handed keys to our room,we paid for a sea view room but got a room facing a wall belonging to another hotel.we complained,they changed the room,but 2nd room was just as bad as we were facing the pool with noise of the nav entertainment.
We found ourselves tiping just about everyone, as it seem money talks at this hotel,rooms are very dated,the staff did work hard at keeping it clean,lots of pushy italian people and rude russians. Hotel 2* NOT 5*, food was not bad,and neither me or my partner got sick.
We would go to Egypt again but WOULD NOT stay at this hotel,poor quality overall,there were some nice waiters in AI resturant like jimmy,and another lad cant remember his name,a bit shy but very nice. I got loads of attention being a woman,but my partner was bascially ignored for the first few days. If you dont mind where you stay ,then stay here,but if you want quality and good service they please find somewhere else to stay.

DoctorEm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

I have been to Sharm 3 times previously and wanted a change from the other hotels I had stayed at. We found the Oriental Resort on a travel website and it rated it as 5 star. The price was right so we booked it. On arrival, it was nowhere near a 5 star - 3 and a half stars at most. The rooms were clean but had some serious wear and tear - the fixtures were all loose (taps swiveled), the floors were cracked and closet doors were hanging off. Each room had a private balcony though which nice. The rooms were cleaned daily but no replenishment of water in the fridge was provided, as promised.

The food was mediocre. It was fine but there were very limited options. The drinks were served in small, shot-sized glasses. The service was also just average relative to other places I've stayed at in Sharm.

The pool area was clean and there were deck-chairs available but you had to be at the pool early to put your towel down to reserve one. It was a lively atmosphere by the main pool area where there was music daily from 10:00-12:30 and about 15:00 till 17:00. The Animation team (entertainment team) was keen for everyone to join-in their daily activities ranging from aqua aerobics to darts tournaments.

I am a keen diver and the resort has its own dive centre which was a decent one. They have their own boat which I went out on for 2 days. Diving was reasonably priced and the equipment was good. The boat was mostly filled with people wanting to snorkel and tan so very few divers were actually on board.

A big problem I had was with the Russian guests. Lining-up must not be part of their culture and it became increasingly frustrating wherever we went that they pushed infront of us - be it lining up for food or waiting to use the ladder on the boat - they elbowed their way in with no apology or recognition of your presence. Most Brits we spoke to echoed this sentiment. Truly was frustrating!!

In terms of currency, you can pay for most things in British pounds and Euros, I would not take over Egyptian pounds. The only time we used them was for tipping as Pound and Euro coins are useless as nowhere accepts them - change from purchases is given in Egyptian pounds.

I am still not quite sure about the rules for entry visas as most information out there is contradictory. As I have been diving, I was told I needed a multi-entry visa and have purchased one on arrival at the airport every time I've gone (10 British pounds). However, you do not need a visa at all if you are staying on the Sinai peninsula, even if diving. I was told by the dive centre that it is not necessary at all unless you travel to Luxor, Cairo etc. in which case the travel/tour operator will arrange one for you. When you go out on boats, you will need your passport or a photocopy of it but at no point do they check for visas so I would save my money in the future as a visa on arrival seems to be unnecessary and can be purchased later if needed for excursions.

We booked this hotel because it was rated as a 5 star and was reasonably priced. It was not a 5 star but it was a decent price for what we got. I would not go back again as I feel that by paying just a couple of extra pounds a night, you could stay at a far nicer hotel. Overall, I would rate the hotel as just average.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Portsmouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

Me and my partner both loved staying at this hotel, we went for two weeks and were absolutely gutted when we had to go.

Rooms were nice and cleaned daily. Our air con broke one night but that was fixed really quickly and no other problems. Huge beds and lovely balcony. If you want a shower though its best to leave the pool/beach early and have it then as it can be a bit of a trickle at busy times (i.e before dinner)

Food was lovely, chefs were always so friendly and kind. Admitted it did get a bit 'samey' in the second week but their are plenty of places outside the hotel that serve food at reasonable prices if you fancy a change. Me and my partner did get a slightly bad tummy but nothing serious. The pool bar was the best and Abrahim that worked their really made our holiday, he was cheerful, charming and incredibly funny. Drinks were nice, dont bother buying the 25LE cocktails though, theres barely any alcohol in them!! Reception staff were incredibly polite and would do anything to assist you, a lot of English staff could pick up a few tips from those guys!!

Book your trips down at Aaron waves on the beach (ask for 'Sam' or Sayid), if you fancy snorkelling/scuba diving go to the next hut 'Nabq Waves' and speak to Mohammed Ali-what a legend!!

Only two drawbacks to this holiday, neither the hotels fault. 1. The other guests, just because your on holiday, please dont leave your manners at home, especially the Russian guests were pushy and rude and a lot of parents (British as well) seemed to leave their kids un attended all day to run amok. 2. The shopkeepers, the ones in the hotel were annoying (Come in my shop, why wont you come in my shop? You promised you would come in my shop?) However they were not a patch on the shopkeepers outside the hotel, they will try to rip you off and pretty much pull any trick in the book to get your money out of you, remember this mantra and you should be ok 'THEY ONLY WANT TO BE YOUR FRIEND TO GET YOUR MONEY!!!!', at one point I went back to the hotel in tears as was just fed up to the back teeth of pushy behaviour.

Overall, it was a fantastic holiday, for the price we got it for we were amazed. I'd definatly go back to this hotel and to Sharm El Sheikh but maybe be a bit more wise this time.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

Not my first time to egypt,but my first stay at the oriental........
Short transfer time from the airport,which is always a bonus.
Reception is bright,clean and airey.Reception staff are very efficient and friendly.
We had rooms 317 and 319....both had a sea view.The rooms are large,bright,very clean,with large modern bathroom.Over the bath shower.
Kettle and tea and coffee were provided,as was a fridge and water.
The main dining room is spacious and very clean,with attentive,friendly staff.
Breakfast was the usual fare.....lots of choice.
Lunch apparently was varied and the soup was good(i didn't eat lunch at the main dining room).
Dinner,the pasta station is very good,cooked to order,the guy there is very smiley and friendly.Lots of choice again,something to suit all tastes.
The main pool is well maintained and busy,with day time activities.There is a bar serving drinks throughout the day.
A smaller pool is nearer to the beach,again the bar there is an all dayer.
Beautiful,immaculate gardens lead down to the beach.
Lovely stretch of sand and shallow water .....many sunbeds and thatched parasols.
You get given a towel card for towels...no need to pack beach towels.Theirs are clean and soft.
The supermarket on the beach stocks mostly everything,but is very expensive.Just outside the hotel gates and to the right is a large,cool supermarket.Stocks everything,is cheap and you don't get hassled.
Many trip sellars parade up and down the beach,a polite no thanks gets rid.
Mohammed Ali...floats like a butterfly,stings like a bee......is a trip sellar,tied to the hotel.He is very knowledgable,very funny and very sweet...in a nice way.He is much cheaper than any others,we booked a snorkelling trip through him....say hi from me...he's a sweetie :o)
The beach bar is great....lunch is from 12 noon....salad and chips with meat and/or fish everyday...very good.
Evening entertainment is ok.....nothing to get too excited about.
The hotel buildings and gardens are very well maintained and very clean.
We had room service one evening....can reccommend fillet steak and the seafood pizza :o)
Internet access,health suite and hairdressers are all available...you have to pay.Ther is an atm in reception....hsbc atm is just to the right of the hotel.
There is much to see and do in and around sharm....i go for R&R !!!
The beer is cold and good.Friends drank the wine and spirits,and got very merry....so i guess they are ok too.
8 out of 9 of us developed bad tummies.....the pharmacy across the road sells cheap remedies....nothing from england will work!!!
All i did differently to the others,was not have ice in my drinks or drink spirits....maybe it was just luck.
Great hotel,great staff...........will definitely reurn.
Anything i've forgotten.............ask :o)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Scarborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

This hotel has very good facilities, nice pools. We used the 2nd pool as quieter, sunbeds no problem. Beach nice but snorkling not as good as other hotels at Sharks Bay as no house reef. Long walkway and shallow water so excellent for children or people new to snorkling.
Accomondation good, big, clean room. Resturarant very good, lots of choice and very large and airy. Staff all very helpful and friendly, without tipping.
No outdoor seating on an evening and the indoor seating gets taken fast.
Hotel is located on a strip of other facilities eg shops, resturants and carmel ranks.
Would recommend this hotel. Definately good value for money.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Egremont, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

This was our 1st - and probably last - visit to Egypt. The holiday was chosen for the weather - and the hotel looked nice in the brochure although I honestly didn't really do any research as we booked this as a last minute alternative because we couldn't book the part of Cyprus we wanted. It wasn't our best holiday - but not the worst either.

We were really fed up by the time we arrived at the hotel - it's only about 20 mins from the airport but we made 6 other drops on the way and it took over 90 mins - this after being put on the wrong bus and then having to change. There was a distint lack of Thomas Cook personnel around the bus area.

The hotel, when we got there, was quite nice and some of the staff are really lovely. We introduced ourselves to "Eddie Murphy" (our waiter) on the 1st night and he remembered our names for the rest of the holiday. The pasta chef who made my spag bol on the 1st night remembered my likes & dislikes 4 days later when I had another - very impressive.

We had a few problems in the room - our electrics blew twice and our wardrobe sprung a leak (from the air con we think) but a quick call to reception had people there quickly to sort out the issues. The rooms were kept clean and were nice and spacious.

The food was a bit "odd" at times - but always a big choice if not necessarily to my taste. I ended up with a dodgy stomach but have no idea where from and didn't suffer too badly, so can't blame anything in particular.

We found "St. George's Bar" about ten minutes walk to the left of the hotel - decent prices, decent food - and some proper characters there as well.

The pool area is nice, with the sunbeds well spaced out. The animation team have loads of energy and tried their best to get me to join in - I was proper lazy though and spent the week chilling out. The signature tune is very catchy - and it's good when the kids all join in with the team. the water in the main pool was freezing - I ventured in properly twice - but it wasn't fun. I'm sure this is the case in most places at this time of year - the other pool was heated but had way more kids in it - so we stayed put at the top pool. You are constantly pestered by tour guides and spa people trying to get you to go on a trip or book a treatment - they don't seem to like to take no thanks for an answer. I kept being handed leaflets - just in case I changed my mind!!

The gardens are lovely and well maintained - can't say I apprciated the grass cutting on our last day at 0730 am - but they did work hard.

The Egyptian version of all inclusive was a bit odd - somethings we signed for and then other times didn't - which left us wondering if we were building up a bill. We did have to pay to play squash one night - and it worked out to over £10 - which I thought was a bit off as it wasn't as though someone was doing something for us to be paid for. We just played because we were bored. The night time entertainment was pretty poor - and you had to pay for some of that. The bar area is full of smoke - so we didn't bother sitting in it - and the pub (The Pitstop) was nice but you had to pay for all drinks in there and to play pool. I've never been on a holiday where I went to bed so early!

All in all the hotel is fine - maybe just not our kind of holiday. The weather was great and we went with the intention of relaxing - which we did - so it was OK really.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Oriental Resort Sharm El Sheikh? Share your experiences!