“very friendly hotel” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 stars 1,535 Reviews
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“very friendly hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This was our first trip to Egypt and selected Tamra beach Resort by reviews from trip advisor. The staff are very friendly and can't do enough to help. The grounds are beautifully kept. The food is excellent and there is plenty of choice and the bars around the hotel offer food if you prefer not to eat in the restaurant. The entertainment is mainly for the Italians but they are trying to include the English more. It would be useful if they put up the activities during the day in English as down on the beach they have lots going on but unless you happen to be there you know nothing about it. They do Yoga, aqua aerobics ,table tennis,volleyball and lots more and the childrens club co-ordinators were excellent they really engaged the chidren in lots of activities day and night. The rooms were spacious and very clean and the lad who cleaned the rooms left us a different towel sculpture everyday on the bed and even took time out to show us how to make them.
The hotel has its own beach and the fish are fantastic but they didn't offer any snorkelling/diving help.
We arranged our own travel to and from the airport and there was no problem with the taxis but use the blue and white official ones. Expect to pay 130 Egyptian pounds, they will ask for more but haggle.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view as the views are stunning
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Polish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

This was our 6th trip to Egypt and the best hotel we have stayed in - we have always gone for 5 star so it is interesting to compare hotels which should be of the same standard.

The hotel and gardens were kept clean and immaculate and first impressions were positive.

We found the staff very friendly and helpful, always cheerful and smiling. We found the more outgoing you are with them the more they will give back. What I appreciated was that the staff who you would usually tip didn't look like they were looking for tips all the time but when we tipped them at the end of our stay, they appeared sincerely grateful and appreciative.

The food was excellent, it sounds from reading other reviews that the arrival of the Italian chef has made a difference. The variety of food was good each day, always very well presented with the chefs keeping a close eye on the food and exchanging trays for fresh food when trays were running low. The restaurant staff and chefs were always very polite and smiling. Yes there is an Italian influence (of course as the Chef is Italian) which is far from a bad thing but there were also Egyptian dishes to try.

There were 2 bars that we frequented, one by the beach and the main bar. However as previous reviews have mentioned, the bar by the beach only supplies soft drinks and the main bar soft drinks and spirits. Wine was only available in the restaurant at lunchtimes and in the evenings (even I draw the line at wine for breakfast!). Also, there were no bars indoors open - at least during the time we were there although looking at other reviews the bar by the reception where there are a few sofas and tables looks like it could be open as a cocktail bar - perhaps when the hotel is busier. Therefore if you wanted to go for a drink the evening it had to be in the outside bar so you had to make sure you were either covered up, or covered in AntiMozz otherwise you were the Dish of the Day. However all that aside, the main central bar is a lovely place to sit out in. Perhaps avoiding the side where the pool is might have helped avoid the mozzies....!

The rooms were spacious and we thought had attention to detail (down to little things like hooks to hang wet towels, shelves for storage and a suitcase storage/packing table - doesn't sound much but when you haven't got these things you miss them). There was plenty of space and the room we had (in the 7000s right down by the beach) had fantastic views over the beach, the sea and over to Tiran Island. All the rooms have large picture windows and doors onto the balcony so are lovely and light, but they have the thick blinds behind the curtains to shut out the lovely sunshine for those well needed lie-ins. The air conditioning was effective and not as noisy as some I have come across. The TV was mostly in Italian and reception wasn't great but hey, we weren't there for that.

The beach staff were friendly and helped you find somewhere as quickly as possible. The beach was slightly stony so shoes recommended for "long" walks. The snorkelling was fantastic with a good variety of fish and coral to see.

As previous reviews have mentioned, the guests in the hotel are mainly Italian but I have to say they are a preferred nationality of guest to us and are always friendly. The team who run the activities are all Italian but their English is very good (better than my Italian anyway :-) ) and we found they treated us like any other guest - although we did join in a few of the activities such as beach volleyball and tennis and the aerobics classes so they got to know us a little.

We met some lovely English people out there too (hi to Graham and Jeanette, Viv and Charlotte et al) and had some particularly favourite waiters (but names will be omitted to protect the innocent and my marriage!) and they all made our week away very special.

All in all we had a great week and are already planning to return next March.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
prettygood, Guest Relations Manager at Tamra Beach, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor.
For the negatives and postives it all helps to bring the business forward.
blackpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I stayed in the Tamra Beach Resort for a few days in March. First the positives:

My goodness, what a beautiful hotel. The grounds are out of this world with fabulous flowers and well tended lawns. The gardening staff do an excellent job. The buildings are low and made of lovely soft coloured stone.
My room, and I don't think I am doing it justice calling it a room as it was more of a palatial suite. I had a sitting room, a super kingsized bed, a dressing room and a brilliant bathroom which was like a suite in itself. Housekeeping was very good and the room was kept immaculately. The view across the sea to Tiran Island was gorgeous. I was left flowers and shapes on my bed which I appreciated.
The meals are buffet style as is normal for AI. As this is an Italian based hotel the food was very much geared towards Italians which as a frequent visitor to Egypt I loved the change in the food. Quality was very good and with the amount of cakes offered at breakfast time I was glad I was only there a few days as they were irresistible. The outside show cooking was also very good quality - yum! The real Arabic outdoor bread oven was a lovely touch.
I had read that the staff were not really very good with non Italians but I did not find that at all. There were plenty of English speaking staff and they looked after me very well. I loved the pool bar during the day and in the evening and thought the staff here were really kind and helpful. I seldom had to go to the bar myself. The bar manager was especially kind to me and always made sure I was being looked after.
Due to the time of year the main pool was cold but there were 2 heated smaller pools which were nice and warm! The main pool is beautiful tho and has easy access with steps at both ends. The sunbeds have the most comfortable mattresses on that I have come across. Towels are supplied in exchange for a towel card that you receive on your arrival for a deposit at the reception.
It was too windy whilst I was there to use the beach but the sea looked gorgeous. There is a big jetty out over the coral into the deeper water and I was sorry not to try this.
The guys in the shops up near the reception were very nice and sorted me out with an Egyptian sim card with 7GB data on it for £20 English which I felt was good. It certainly lasted me throughout the 2 weeks I spent around Egypt. Vodaphone or Mobinil are best although Vodaphone seemed to work best in the And now for the negative:
Really for me there was only one negative. If you have walking difficulties this hotel is not for you. There is a very steep slope up to the reception and the grounds are extensive with the paving being of the crazy paving style and quite dangerous at night if your feet do not lift up as high as they should. There are steep, deep steps down to the beach and these would not be manageable at all with someone with walking difficulties. I was told at some point that there is a golf cart to help disabled people to get around so there still the potential if you really like the hotel.
All in all if you are able bodied I would recommend this hotel in a flash it is gorgeous. I also found the Italian guests

Room Tip: I had a room in block 6000 which had sea views without actually being down on the beach.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.
You have written in great detail of our resort and i thank you for this. I hope that all the readers looking for a place to stay in Sharm will read your review and book through booking.com
Lowestoft Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Stayed at tamra beach 6th match for 1 week and had a fantastic holiday
Been to sharm several times over the last 13 years and liked this hotel the most, if you are looking for entertainment this hotel is not for you as all in Italian, the animation team do try to speak English but it was very limited and just telling you during the day what activities were on, this did not bother us at all
We stayed in room 6108 which overlooked the beach and was spotless
We did have 1 day of bad weather, heavy rain throughout the entire day and were disappointed as only 1 bar inside at reception but very few seats, apart from that the weather was amazing
We particularly liked the beach at tamra as you were able to walk into the sea and swim, you could get up to chest depth which is very unusual in sharm, beautiful sealife especially if you went if the jetty
The drinks were ok, lovely to be able to get a cappuccino included in all inclusive
Food pretty good but I think they could do with more meat options, only seemed to be 1 meat option, plenty of lovely fresh pasta though, pizza available at beach bar at around 11 am
The staff are amazing, so friendly and willing, special mention to Waled in the restaurant
We are planning to return for Christmas but at the moment cannot book with low cost holidays, we have already mAde a booking for 20th December at hilton sharks bay but hopefully be able to change and return to tamra
Thank you for a great holiday, hopefully we will see you again at Christmas

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
prettygood, Guest Relations Manager at Tamra Beach, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your negatives and positive reviews on Tamra Beach Resort.You have mentioned about the bar . Due to the rain which only happens once a year but never like it happened when you were in Sharm and the roofs leak that is the reason for only the one bar to be opened, but it was resolved as soon as it could.
You have mentioned about your return. We now are working with booking.com so you ncan go onto that site now and book.
Please contact me when you have done your booking .
Look forward to your return.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from 10 days at Tamra Beach. I was very disappointed, as there are many positive reviews on this hotel, but I just couldn't see it.

Pros
Attractive grounds & gardens
Good food (heavy Italian influence)
Restaurant manager & staff very friendly / helpful

Cons
You have to buy bottled water!! Have you ever heard such a thing? You get one free bottle in your room.
Wine is not available in the bar - can you believe it?!?! Wine is only available in the restaurant.
Only one bar open (I'm guessing this is due to lack of holiday makers).
Bar service is very poor. Staff are often rude.
No free Internet. But it can be purchased at 21Euros for 3 day - not so bad you think, well it worked only intermittently (approx. 50% of the time, and very slow)
I booked a suite. But got a standard room with an extra bedroom attached? A family room at best, not a suite.

There are so many excellent hotels in Sharm, so don't go to Tamra Beach. It's all ok, but it's not great - it's the little things that make the difference

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
prettygood, Guest Relations Manager at Tamra Beach, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review with regards to our resort.
I am so sorry to hear that it was not up to your standards . I do apologizes for this and wished you had brought this to the attention of the duty manager, as I was not present.
Many of your negatives would have been resolved immediately. I will personally deal with what I can now and hope going forward that these issues do not re-occur
Guest Relations Manager.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Hello, me and my boyfriend were staying at the Tamra Beach resort for 8 nights (08.03.2014/16.03.2014). I could say that the environment was really amazing, staff very nice and polite, cleaners were cleaning properly and every day leaving wonderful art from the towels. The beach was 1minute away. Just lots of mosquitos, I would offer to take a bug spray :) There was some kind of entertainment for Italian people. This is an Italian resort and all attention is basically for them!!! They speak their language and English people feel like they are second race. The food was really good. The best quality I have ever had. Rooms very nice as well, lots of swimming pools in the resort. One small pool was heated. For the wifi you need to pay extra, it was small gym, but not very comfortable one. Alcohol not very nice at all, no cocktails or smth like that, especially if you are a women.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view.
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.
The mosquitoes seem to be a big problem in Sharm at the moment. We do spray daily at 17
;30pm but it is nature.
Thank you for your positive and negative reviews and i will pursue the negatives immediately. .
Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

We went to Tamra for my 30th birthday and loved it.
The beach is beautiful with stunning corals at the end of the pier.
The hotel is well set out with good food and if you tip the staff they will do anything for you (bring drinks to your table, make towel animals on your bed etc).
We were very lucky to meet two lovely ladies that had been before who told us how much to haggle down too (thank you).
Don't pay more than 50 Egyptian pounds for a taxi there and back to La Strada and when the shop keepers say that is the best deal they will do it generally isn't, you will get a
bit more off if you try :)
This holiday was just what we needed for a relaxing cheap winter sun get away.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for writing a review on Tamra Beach Resort. I am very pleased to hear that your birthday was pleasant and memorable .
Hope that will will return someday and if so please do email before you arrive. We are now on booking.com
Cheryl

Been to Tamra Beach? Share your experiences!