“Charming atmosphere, friendly, great restaurant, lovely garden” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Posada del Quinde

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Otavalo
La Posada del Quinde
You added La Posada del Quinde to your Saves list
Calle Quito con Miguel Egas, Otavalo EC100450, Ecuador   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Otavalo
Jonesborough, Tennessee
“Charming atmosphere, friendly, great restaurant, lovely garden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

In my opinion, Posada de Quinde is the best hotel in Otavalo for business or tourism. It is located within walking distance of the world famous market. The owner and staff are friendly and helpful. The restaurant features a fireplace, really fresh, local foods, and has traditional music on weekend nights. The patio and gardens offer a quiet, lovely spot after a long day of shopping. The rooms and gardens also have a gorgeous view of the dormant volcano Imbaburra. A major point not to be taken lightly is that there are heaters in the rooms. Most hotels in Otavalo are unheated and can get very uncomfortable on cold Andean nights! There is also a computer available and wi-fi connection.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
sfo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

The new owner Maggie is a delight and the staff are helpful and charming..
The rooms are comfortable and there is plenty of nice hot water 24 hrs. a day.
The breakfast which is included in the price is great with fresh juice and eggs and rolls with butter and home made strawberry marmalade and hot coffee or herbal tea and fresh fruit.
A fantastic outdoor patio overlooking a large beautiful garden with views of the volcano.
We will definitely return to La Posada del Quinde.

Room Tip: We like the upstairs rooms with balconies.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Pacific Northwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

This hotel requires a detailed review - so here goes :).
Pros: Fantastic host. Maggie is superb. She is helpful, cordial and friendly. She helped organize cabs for the various hikes that we did. She was candid about which hikes needed a guide and which did not (thereby saving us money).
The hotel's decor is nice and Maggie sells many of the crafts on display. I found the prices to be very fair and did purchase a couple of items.
The food is wonderful. The breakfast was good and the juices were excellent. The restaurant does have a 10+12% (22%) charge over the cost of the price listed on the menu. We chose to eat at other restaurants in Otavalo - except for the one evening when there was live music at La Posada del Quinde.
The location to the market is excellent. We had a wonderful time at the market. We found many talented artists and while there was touristy stuff - there was plenty to see that was unique and interesting.
The room: We had a suite. It was clean and comfortable. It was also very large. It was expensive - in fact the most expensive one we stayed in Ecuador.
The main Con: I did not realize how close this hotel is to the highway. I am not a light sleeper and can tolerate quite a bit of honking horns and the like. That being said, I got almost no sleep in the 4 nights we stayed there. By the 5th day I was a bit zombie-ish. Just for a comparison point: I have slept through Californian earthquakes and traveled quite a bit in Asia.
I did not let this upset me because this was toward the end of our trip in Ecuador. We had only a couple more days in Quito - and there, I checked to ensure that I had a quiet room.
As Maggie has posted to other folks - the location is something that cannot be changed. Check where you're staying, while in Otavalo. Hotels on Sucre and other roads near Plaza del Poncho can be very noisy too. You are best off staying at a place outside of town, if you are sensitive to noise or cannot function without sleep (I can, for quite a few days, and had to).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Bristol, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

I had stayed at the Posada del Quinde when it was under other ownership and named something else. I had high expectations, having enjoyed my room, the shower, the food, and the wine on three previous stays. I was NOT disappointed! If anything, the hotel and its services are even better. For us gringos, the abundance of hot water with excellent pressure is enough to make me rate this hotel as 5 star compared to my typical accommodations in Ecuador. The beds are comfortable and the room has a portable heater. The included breakfast is really delicious and satisfying, although one can go "whole hog" inexpensively. The supper fare (all under ten dollars) is varied and excellent. My favorite was the lentil stuffed pepper, accompanied by other vegetables, including a red cabbage that is hard to beat even in Berlin. My companions told me that the pepper stuffed with meat was nonpareil. The market is a five minute walk from the hotel; furthermore, the owner knows competent, experienced drivers with nice vehicles that you can contract at reasonable prices.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

This small hotel on the outskirts of Otavalo used to be called Ali Shungu, which I had visited five times previously. La Posada del Quinde (the Hummingbird's resting place) is under new ownership but retains all the positives of the Ali Shungu and perhaps a couple more now. The rooms are simple (no phone, no TV) but ample in size with comfortable beds, nice furnishings, powerful showers with an ALMOST INFINITE SUPPLY OF HOT WATER! The menu has been improved, with breakfast now included in your daily room rate. You will pay American prices for lunch and dinner but the food is worth it. The beautiful and peaceful garden is almost worth the cost of the room itself and you add in the homey fireplace area in the dining room, the pleasant and helpful indigenous women as well as the very personable owner Maggie, and this place is a guaranteed winner. To top it all off, you can get to the plaza de ropas (main square for tourist shopping) by foot in five minutes. Highly recommended.

Hailey, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

You'll know La Posada because the door will be wide open, welcoming you into the hotel. This openness is characteristic of the entire experience, where Maggie and her staff will greet you from start to finish. And while you might not know who Maggie is now, the most powerful part of the La Posada experience is that, whether for a night, or a week, you will meet Maggie, the owner, and she will treat you like a long lost friend.

La Posada is open and warm, with the rooms arranged off of a central gathering area and the restaurant, all of which open onto a patio and gardens that look out to the volcano, Imbabura. And while the rooms are comfortable, and nicely decorated, I found myself gravitating toward the couches and chairs surrounding the fire. This area is more than a communal space, it is also a reflection of what La Posada does exceptionally well- create a sense of community.

The best part about La Posada is that it feels like home. It is tranquil and comfortable, and the perfect basecamp for exploring all that the Otavalo region has to offer- the renowned markets, the surrounding lakes and waterfalls, and the thriving indigenous culture. The worst part is that you have to leave. But as with all wonderful places, this feeling is tempered by a sense that you will return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Albuquerque, NM USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I recently took some out of town friends on a trip to Otavalo. I had never stayed at El Quinde but had read a good review on Trip Advisor so decided to give it a try. I sent an email to the owner, Maggie, and found out we had been students at the same University in the USA! She even called me to get all my information regarding a reservation.
There were four of us and she reserved us one of her suites. We were shocked at the size and beauty of our suite. It was beautifully decorated and clean with very comfortable beds and pillows and a spectacular view of the garden.
Maggie had set up a taxi driver for us as I wanted to take my friends around the area. We spent a delightful day with Manuel who took us to Lake Cuicocha, Cotacachi and the waterfall in Peguche. We didn't finish seeing everything so he picked us up again the next day to go to the Condor Park. His prices were very reasonable.
The price of the room included a wonderful breakfast of coffee, fresh bread, eggs and fruit.
We also ate lunch and dinner there and I had some of the best food I've ever eaten at a restaurant in Ecuador. Maggie came by during all of our meals to make sure everything was satisfactory. We even had live Andean music for our dinner.
I would recommend this hotel above all others I've stayed in Otavalo. ,

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to La Posada del Quinde? Share your experiences!