“Hotel does not deserve TA 5*” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Posada del Quinde

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Otavalo
La Posada del Quinde
You added La Posada del Quinde to your Saves list
Calle Quito con Miguel Egas, Otavalo EC100450, Ecuador   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Otavalo
GreenLeadersBronze level
uk
“Hotel does not deserve TA 5*”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

On the positive, the hotel looks and feels nice and well looked after, not too expensive. However, a couple of rather fundamental issues...

Whilst rooms appear quite nice...
...The curtains are totally inadequate, only cover half of the bowed windows, hence let in loads of light - if you like dark rooms your in trouble
...A number of the rooms (probably 50%) are next to the Pan America Highway (this isnt mentioned anywhere - the bus's honk pretty much through the night looking for passengers - if you like a quite room - again your in trouble. When we were there only about 20% of the rooms were occupied, yet they seemed to locate everyone in these rooms - makes me wonder if the other rooms away from the highway have "other issues"
..The food for evening meal, well it was described as comfort food, but was quite bizare, the pie was so - so and the rest of the food was hardly local and very basic. The owner mentioned they were thinking of a re-vamp!

Overall - Not an experience to remember

...Others have raved about the breakfast, but for me it was the worst breakfast I had during my trip. The scrambled eggs were dry (if you chose the fried eggs, all you got were two fried eggs), fruit was OK, but the bread was truly awful, kind of sucked the moisture from your mouth. Have no idea what the fruit juice was - but tasetd awful (whats wrong with offering an option or sticking with Orange Juice)

I truly believe that the hotel could be so much better, but they need to change and invest. The owner has been there now nealry a year but hasnt addressed some prety basic stuff.

I would say borderline 3, but giving a two as I believe quality of sleep in a hotel is parmount and hence based on this I have to stick with a 2.

Please also note that ...whilst the management are helpful, the staff barely understand any english (so you'll need your Spanish)

Room Tip: Stay away fro PA highway
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
posadaquinde, Owner at La Posada del Quinde, responded to this review, May 28, 2011
While I am very sorry to hear that you were so disappointed with your stay at La Posada del Quinde, I appreciate you bringing your concerns to my attention. I wish I had been able to personally address these things before you checked out.

Our hotel is indeed located near the Panamerican in the small city of Otavalo. Like all hotels in town, we have to deal with street noise and transit noise. Unlike the hotels in the center of the city, however, we offer a large garden and outdoor space to create the environment one might find at a hacienda. For the most sensitive of sleepers I would recommend staying outside of town where you can expect to not hear cars or buses or people. For those travelers who seek a more immersed experience within walking distance of the famous market, our hotel offers the best option--there is just an understanding one must have that they are staying in a small city and there may be noises that accompany that. We are going to be adding double-pane windows in this next month, as has been planned for the past several months as part of a noise-abatement effort to provide a better sleep experience here at the hotel.

I am glad that you found our staff to be helpful, despite feeling that their English is limited. Though the past year has been full of changes, one of the next things on the list is ESL classes for all of our staff who work directly with guests.

Some of the things that you were unhappy with during your stay are also on a list of upcoming plans to change—curtains which allow less light to enter the guestrooms, for example. Despite there being changes we’d like to make, there are things that we enjoy offering that some guests may not enjoy as much as others, like the local fruit juice that often cannot be found in the home countries of our guests (juices like tree tomato and naranjilla). We like to expose travelers to things that are not ordinary, and will soon be offering more local fare in our new menu as well.

The complimentary breakfast will soon be one of three options: guests can choose from eggs (or fresh cheese) and bread, yogurt and granola or oatmeal, all of which come accompanied by local fresh fruit, fruit juice, and a bottomless mug of coffee or tea. We hope that the options allow guests to feel even more at home here in the hotel.

I hope that someday you’re able to return to the hotel and see how we’ve continued to improve. Thank you again for bringing your criticism of the hotel to my attention.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Anderson, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

The feeling that you are at home is immediate when you enter the doorway to the Posada del Quinde.The entrance is warm and inviting. This includes Maggie and various members of her staff who greet you with beautiful warm smiles. The best thing is you feel this way from the moment you enter until you bid the staff farewell. You really do leave thinking,” I wonder how quickly we can return.” Everything in the hotel is clean, well appointed. Walls are full of weavings from a local, world renowned artisan. The living/dining area is cheerful and bright with a wall of windows, which, as a bonus, overlook the lush gardens.
The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Internet access was excellent from the common area.
Posada del Quinde’s restaurant serves a nice variety of local and North American food. The intimate setting of the restaurant also gives you an opportunity to mingle with fellow guests. We enjoyed several meals at the hotel. We must tell you that our favorite menu item was the fresh made guacamole – to die for! Can’t forget the pineapple cake though. The kitchen staff shops at the market for pineapple in the a.m. and the cake is in front of you that evening! Delicious!!!
You are in the heart of the city so there is some night noise, of course. Not a problem. We slept through most of it but were awakened one night by revelers who were taking (as we were told next morning) the ‘bride price’ to the parents. What a treat watching the revelry of wedding party members from our balcony and listening to the accompanying music.
This hotel is an excellent choice if you are planning to attend the Saturday Otavalo market in the city centre (mentioned in most guide books). On most Friday evening’s at the hotel, you will get a special treat - a local family band playing lively regional music. How perfect right? An evening of music and then the next morning, on to the market. The walk from hotel to the market is a brief and easy 5 minutes. I am sure we walked that 4 or 5 times on our Saturday stay.
The real bonus is Maggie, your hostess and hotel owner. Maggie, fluent in Spanish, is very knowledgeable about the area. After a brief discussion with us, she was able to recommend and arrange local tours based on our interests and experiences. Her suggestions were excellent and made our stay all the more delightful.
I can recommend this hotel to anyone who wishes to stay in or near Otavalo. Main reasons for staying here are:
Hotel atmosphere – friendly, relaxing.
Staff – friendly, very competent and then there is the bonus of Maggie+++!
Location – 5 minutes to the market square.
Food – the restaurant (separate review), Café Pachamama, serves such good fare that you will want to eat most meals here. We noted that guests who had left for other areas returned just to eat
Value – excellent value

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

The hotel's common area was warm and airy with a view of the beautiful courtyard. You will be greeted by a friendly staff who are always attentive to your needs. The owner was such a delight. She makes all her guests feel welcome. She is also very knowledgeable about the local area and culture. The rooms are nicely decorated with local decor. The bathrooms are large and clean but bring your own shampoo and hair dryer.
The hotel is conveniently located and a leisurely walk to many attractions. Since I love food, the best thing about this hotel is its restaurant. Cafe Pachamama has excellent food and great service. Oh, and beakfast is gratis (free) ! You will be served fresh juice (best tree tomato juice in all of Ecuador) , fresh plate of fruits, freshly baked warm bread and eggs cooked however you want it. Yummm !

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

From the moment you are greeted at the door, you feel at home. A relaxed, warm atmosphere with some of the best service to be found. The staff, in their native attire, cannot do enough for you; always there, always smiling,

The public areas are spotless, warm and inviting. Whether sitting in front of the fire listening to a local band playing traditional music or enjoying a bottle of wine on the patio overlooking the garden, the ambiance is one of easy going charm. The walls feature weaving and paintings from local artists. Tip: ask Maggie about "the weaver."

The rooms are, again, spotless -- a bit spartan as compared to larger hotels, bring your own shampoo and hair dryer -- but who cares? We heard no room to room noise. On Sunday morning we could hear the band at a nearby church, but it only added to the quaintness of the place.

Then, there's Maggie, the ever smiling hostess. Part of the family by the time we left. Whatever we needed or wanted to know, we just asked. "What can I do for you?" was her approach.

Don't bother going anywhwere else to eat. The restaurant is not to be missed and is reviewed separately.

A great little hotel. Look no further.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

The hotel was very clean and well maintained. The manager and her staff were very warm and accomodating. The amenities were much more than adequate, making our stay very comfortable. The hotel is conveniently located to sights and shopping. Overall a great value!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

This was my first trip to Ecuador and I relied heavily on the reviews posted on TripAdvisor to help me plan the entire trip. When I was looking at lodging choices in Otavalo, the TripAdvisor reviews for La Posada del Quinde clearly stood out as indicating that this was an exceptional place. So it’s no surprise that this review will also speak very highly of La Posada del Quinde. However, there are some negative things that I’ll mention so that people don’t come here with expectations that are too high and be disappointed. But certainly the positives far outweigh the negatives and I would highly recommend this hotel to others.

The number one reason I highly recommend this hotel is the exceptionally helpful and friendly owner and staff. The owner, Maggie, was truly terrific to communicate with when I made my reservation and in helping arrange for my transportation to Otavalo and returning to Quito. Although Maggie was out of the country during my visit, she sent several e-mails ahead of my arrival to confirm all the arrangements and indicate her regrets for not being there during my visit. Even in Maggie’s absence, her enthusiasm carried over through the friendly and helpful attitude of the staff at the hotel.

The second reason I highly recommend this hotel is the value you get. Overall, I thought the room rate reflected a very good value for the quality of the hotel. A tasty breakfast was included in the rate. The dining area is very cozy and decorated with works from local artists. There is also a purified water dispenser in the dining area making it very convenient to refill your water bottles throughout the day. We also ate one dinner at the hotel. Dinner was good, but I thought the menu was a bit limited. The grounds and landscaping in the enclosed back yard area of the hotel are beautiful and the views out of the rooms to the surrounding mountains are terrific. The rooms themselves are very nicely decorated. The bathroom fixtures were dated, but impressively clean. The mattress on my bed was well past its prime and needed replacing, but yet my friend commented that his mattress was very comfortable so I’ll call that issue a toss-up. I think you’ll find the rooms to be a good value for the money, but don’t expect five-star amenities. For example, our bathroom didn’t have a box of facial tissue, so either bring your own or use toilet paper.

A third reason for loving this hotel is the location. If you want to be a short walk into the heart of Otavalo for shopping at the markets and trying some local restaurants then you can’t beat the convenient location of this hotel.

The primary negative aspect of this hotel is the outside noise. All the other guests we spoke with also had noise problems in their rooms so come here expecting to hear noise from the streets around the hotel. The roads in Otavalo are mainly made from pre-cast concrete blocks. They look pretty, but they contribute to a high amount of road noise as cars pass by. Also, expect car alarms to be going off. The hotel is in a residential area and cars parked in the street frequently had alarms go off. I wear ear plugs to bed and could cope with the noise, however, my friend had problems getting a good night sleep. Also, on Saturday night there was very loud music lasting well into the early morning hours from some place around the hotel. So please come prepared to tolerate some outside urban noise. The single-pane windows don’t filter out much of the outside noise from the neighborhood.

Otavalo is a great place to visit. I highly recommend visiting the beautiful Peguche Waterfall (la cascada de Peguche). It is a good hour or longer walk from La Posada del Quinde so you may want to take a taxi there and then walk back. From the waterfall it is a relatively short walk into Peguche Village – famed for its renowned weavers creating tapestries, rugs, blankets, and clothing. The hum of weaving machines can be heard in the background as you walk through the streets. Jose Cotacachi's shops just off the main plaza sell beautifully crafted locally made goods far nicer than what you’ll find from venders at the Otavalo market. The Condor Park is another attraction not to be missed, but plan your visit to be there for either the 11:30 am or 4:30 pm shows. If you enjoy hiking, the hike around Laguna Cuicocha is spectacular.

Room Tip: If outside noise bothers you then bring earplugs
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Mission, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

We found La Posada del Quinde on Tripadvisor and decided to stay here rather than one of the haciendas, in order to be within walking distance of the town and markets. We travelled to Ecuador in March with our two teens. We were warmly greeted by Maggie and her staff. She had arranged a driver to pick us up in Quito, tour us through Mitad del Mundo and then continue on to Otavalo Friday afternoon. We enjoyed the live music at the hotel on Friday night and LOVED cruising the markets all day Saturday. Maggie also arranged a horseback ride and lunch at Hacienda Cusin on Sunday. She had some great suggestions on things to do but we didn't have enough time in the area. The hotel has beautiful grounds, very clean rooms, great restaurant, cozy fireplace and lounging area. The strong WIFI signal even worked in the rooms (which i did not find in any other hotel through our trip) not just in the public areas. The water was hot, hot, hot and we loved the giant bar of Jolly bath soap which we brought with us through the rest of the trip. There is water and tea available in the lobby all the time. The location is excellent for walking through town and through the markets. We really enjoyed this hotel, it always felt like coming home at the end of the day, very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to La Posada del Quinde? Share your experiences!