“Great Market!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 15 Attractions in Otavalo
Type: Flea/ Street Markets, Shopping
Activities: Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: This colorful Indian market takes place each Saturday and features some of the finest woven products in the region including ponchos, sweaters, wall hangings and shawls.
hiltonhead SC
3 attraction reviews
“Great Market!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

While in Quito we visited the Otavalo Market as a side trip. The trip was about two hours. We stopped at the equator and had photo ops, then continued on to the Market. It was a Friday so it was not very busy. Lots of great textiles, bags and wraps. I did not see any "true" alpaca, (although every piece you pick up the vendors say is alpaca). I already knew this, so was not in the market for that.
Found a nice scarf and a knitted wrap.
Go for the scenic ride, the colors and the people, you never know you may get lucky and find a real treasure!

• Finnish first
  • Turkish first
london
18 attraction reviews
“Animal market worth seeing but the rest is pretty standard across south america”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Otavalo market only seems to cater for the tourists these days - who for some bizarre reason seem to go mad here!!

You have to be very careful to check the quality as seeemingly identical items seem to have very different quality. There are many things to se and do in the area so its wirth coming to the region but i'm not sure i would come just for the market.

the animal market however is a real eye opener as the idingienous people shop here, stuffing chicks, guinea pigs, hens, rabbits , etc all into one bag!!

Visited May 2013
Florence, South Carolina, USA
3 attraction reviews
“Irresistible! Great products at great prices.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I lived in Otavalo over 20 years ago and the market has changed with the times in a good way. I was back visiting my in-laws and wasn't planning on buying anything, but we went with our kids, and well, I filled a suitcase! I saw a cushioned chair hammock that I had been planning on buying from a catalog back in the U.S. for $90- got it for $17! They also have gotten into making some magnificent jewelry from native seeds and coconut. One of the seeds, called tagua, resembles the ivory from elephants, but actually comes from a palm tree. The seeds can be carved, polished, and dyed to make beautiful and artistic pieces of jewelry. I bought 3 for $5 one day, and found another vendor with very beautiful styles priced a little higher, ($5-6 per necklace). However, if you buy several items from one vendor you can negotiate them down on price quite a bit. I also bought several scarves- but you need to ask which ones are made in Ecuador as we found ones with Made in China tags.
I speak fluent Spanish but my husband is native to the area and he did the bargaining. They use the dollar now (it used to be sucres!) and it's easy to see you are getting a great value regardless of how much you get them down on price.

Laurieton, Australia
18 attraction reviews
“Make the time to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I visited here on market day...Saturday. Takes about 2 hours from Quito. It is an indigenous town and the market is huge. Great buys particularly for jewellry, textiles and leather work. You must bargain. I do not speak Spanish, but was able to make myself understood...just be patient, as the vendors are very accommodating. One tip.........if you like something..get it, as this was the best valued market I visited between Ecuador, Peru and Argentina. If you love markets, a trip here is very rewarding!!!

Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
“Outdoor market with a pulse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The sights! The sounds! The food! The trek from Quito was L O N G but scenic and well worth it as this was our first stop on an adventure packed day outside the city. We walked and shopped, sampled some fresh juices and ate some GMO- free corn. Yum. The sun was shining and the weather was sweet. Perfect day indeed.