“Nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 47 Restaurants in Otavalo
Cuisines: Italian, Mexican, American, Vegetarian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Description: Established in 2001, Buena Vista has a fabulous location with great views of the surrounding mountains and a balcony where you can sit and watch the busy Indian market below. With its cozy lounge-style atmosphere, you can relax with family and friends and enjoy a great variety of food and cocktails at reasonable prices. Our menu offers a wide selection of Italian, American, Mexican and vegetarian-vegan food made with fresh, organic ingredients.
Sugar Land, Texas
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Tasty dinner but not overwhelming. Great location on the 2nd floor overlooking the market. Nice atmosphere and William, the manager, is great. He's also a tour guide!

Visited May 2013

Quito
“The place has gone downhill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We had eaten at this place once before, and it seemed to be decent, not great. We went back when in the area recently and it was absolutely horrible and the prices had gone up alot. I can't recommend this place at all, soup was watery, sandwiches were little more than bread, and my friend had the 'steak' which was inedible. Nice for the view, if you only order a soda.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Zurich, Switzerland
“Food poisoning”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Unfortunately I got food poisoning from the avocado with tuna and carrots. Horrible! My partner had the cheese burger and he was fine. Also the service is extremely slow. For these two things we had to wait for nearly an hour and the restaurant was nearly empty.
So I definitely don't recommend this place.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Powell River, Canada
“Buena Vista--Mala Escala”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

You can tell there's a lack of building code in Ecuador by the wacko rise and run of the wonky stairway that winds its way up to this charming second-floor restaurant. Hold the railing, especially going down, and consider stepping down the way you used to when you were a kid.

Buena Vista is funky and fun and you'll hear a wild melange of languages there. My friends love the nachos, which are so over the top with meat, cheese, veggies and gen-u-wine Mexican-style salsa, that they ordered it twice and then were too full for a proper lunch.

Drinks were good, too. First time I've seen a small glass of wine offered for $2, or medium for $3.50, or large for a little more. Very thoughtful.

A great place for informal noshing by groups of four or more. The one balcony table is the only one that can boast the *buena vista* of the Plaza de Ponchos, though. And watch out for the single bathroom door, which is a bit odd and tends to convince people they are trapped. But hey, no obnoxious TV! Just the pleasant hubbub of international conversation. A good rest stop from the hurly-burly of the sometimes overwhelming artisans' market.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Budapest, Hungary
“Get the Balcony Table”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Located directly across from the famous handicraft market, this place is ideal for a relaxing dinner.

I had a bowl of cream of asparagus soup and a "filet mignon" dinner, but from years of experience, I know not to expect an American steak. The soup was like eating the vegetable liquified with cream and lightly spiced. I have never had this particular soup so flavorful before. The steak was as I expected, pounded steak meat, but since I knew, I was not disappointed. It came with salad and potatoes. Too much food, I could not finish it. My partner had trout, which he raved so highly about, I had to taste though I don't eat fish. Even I would order it if we return.

There is only 1 table of the balcony. We were lucky to get it. It overlooks the famous handicraft market so the people watching is exquisite. During our dinner they were getting ready to close down. It was fascinating to sip our wine while watching these dozens of people pack tons of merchandise to store for the night.

• Visited December 2012