“Distinctly average” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Quisquis 305 and Rumichaca, Guayaquil 5934, Ecuador   |
Ranked #22 of 55 Hotels in Guayaquil
“Distinctly average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We stayed one night in Hostal Suites Madrid before changing to a better option around the corner. Paid $25 for a small room with fan (after first being shown and politely rejecting the larger, more expensive rooms with A/C).

Pros: Spotless rooms with strong wifi, hot water, towels. Nice roof terrace (when it's not raining) with kitchen. Staff are friendly and good central location.

Cons: Room was small and only had a basic fan. Lots of noise from the street below.

Hostal Suites Madrid is distinctly average. It's OK if you don't have any other options but I would recommend shopping around. After our first night we changed to another hotel, paying less for a room twice the size and with air-con!

Room Tip: Rooms with inside windows have less noise
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Guayaquil is a vibrant colorful city. My stay at the Hostal Suites did spoil my visit.
Please check my other reviews to understand that I hardly write something bad about a hotel.

The positive things: Very charming ladies doing the housekeeping. rooms very clean, good wifi, high speed internet. computers to use, nice roof terrace.

Negative: Inside rooms have no or no proper window and give the atmosphere of a prison cell.

Outside rooms face a street with 3 very loud bars. Earplugs recommended.

No room has a lamp next to the bed, so you have to walk in the dark room (when you have a inside one without window) to turn on light.
Bathroom has no shower curtain so everything may get wet, there is no rack or place to store your stuff except on sink or toilet, where it may get wet.
Bathrooms are connected with open window at ceiling, so you here noises from neighbors.

On day of departure in the morning at 11:00 housekeeping removed towels from room, i suppose the owner is afraid I could steal them.

The night I did arrive I was shown a kitchen on rooftop, that I may use. When I tried finding a glass the friendly housekeeping lady was searching in the whole building and brought me a plastic cup.

Please mind that the ceiling in the staircase is pretty low, so when you are taller than 170 cm you may break your head. There is no sign indicating the limited headroom.

The reason why I was really afraid staying at this place is the fact that there are metal grilles at the windows.
In case of fire or earthquake you will be trapped in this place.

Firefighters will never reach inside rooms, and from outside rooms you could not even jump out of the window.
I did pay $ 40,- which for this kind of hostel was far too much.
There are many cheap options in Guayaquil, just to compare: the close by 5* Hotel Oro Verde, a Leading Hotel of the World was only $ 119,-

Room Tip: inside rooms are dark (no window) outside rooms are very loud when bars are making music
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Antwerp
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed in Hostal Suites Madrid for two nights and it was a very pleasant stay. The rooms are big and there is a cute roof terrace. There is also a kitchen that you can use. The staff was very friendly and I really felt at home. The beds are not so comfortable and the traffic is quite loud but you cannot avoid that in a city like Guayaquil I guess. These are the only downsides of Hostal Suites, a place I definitely recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very central hostel, geared towards independent travellers. Very clean and good facilities (hot water, wifi, free Internet, nice roof terrace). The staff are friendly and rooms are cleaned each day.

Beware of room scam. Booked in advance and agreed I would take the $36.99 premium room as simple room not available. Upon arrival (jet lagged after long journey from Europe) checked in and billed $90. At first thought this was an oversight as I'd booked an airport pick up that did not arrive. So thought it might be for that, The night receptionist did not speak English so decided to sleep on it and tackle in the morning.

The next day receptionist claimed that I had been "upgraded" to deluxe room and had sudden bout of amnesia about by booking. I was able to prove I'd reserved the $36.99 room but was refused a refund of the difference, only offered to move room for the second and final night! Decided not to bother and just take the hit.

After speaking to other travellers, this same scam had been tried with them also. The hotel will always show you to the nicest rooms and claim the others are full or reserved. I'd urge caution to others wishing to stay here.

If it weren't for this under hand scam I'd happily recommend the hotel for location, cleanliness and convenience.

Room Tip: Avoid room scam and you'll be fine here!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Hostal Suites Madrid turned out to be a really nice place to stay in the busy city of Guayaquil. When we arrived, two friendly men greeted us and showed us some room options. Although $40 per night was a bit overpriced for our taste, we enjoyed the cleanliness of the hostal, as well as the decorations and free computer access. The man who was working as a receptionist gave us a map of the town, along with some great recommendations in terms of where to eat and what to see. We didn't stay in our hotel very long because we were exploring the city, but I would still recommend staying here because it's in a seemingly great location and the rooms definitely have a distinctive, classy charm to them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed here for an overnight in Guayaquil and I found the hotel to be pleasant enough. Whilst the décor was very dated and the bed incredibly hard and uncomfortable, the room itself was impeccably clean throughout. There was quite a lot of noise from the street traffic but I died down about midnight and picked up again at roughly 7am. The roof terrace was very pleasant the staff I found to be friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Utrecht, Nederland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed at this hostal for 2 nights. Whereas I kept my key either on me or at the reception, I had money stolen out of my wallet, from my hotel room. Which was locked. I discovered the theft at the airport, flying to Quito. I am convinced that the owner Jimmy would be as appalled as I was to learn that his staff is stealing from tourists, but informing him by phone from Quito led to nothing. First time experience for me, after 20 years of traveling. And not a good one. I hope that the stealing staff member spent my 80 USD and 60 Euros well.....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hostal Suites Madrid? Share your experiences!