“The bohemian health trip” 5 of 5 stars

Manso Boutique Guesthouse
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Malecon 1406 y Aguirre, Guayaquil, Ecuador   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Helsinki, Finland
“The bohemian health trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

The atmosphere in the hotel was tranquil and harmonious, w. buddhist type of deco and lovely rooms. The pearl of the place was its staff. They went all out to solve our problems, to help us find a good dentist and to try to make our stay as nice as possible. I would defennetly go back.

Room Tip: try the "orange room", very nice.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Manso twice on one trip. We flew into Guayaquil from the US and spent our first two nights at Manso. We then went to the coast for ten days. When we came back to Guayaquil for our return flight we returned to Manso because of the friendly, helpful staff and the nice atmosphere at the Malecon.

Room Tip: We liked the back rooms because of the traffic
Glendale, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

This place is on a main street facing the river which is awesome and makes it nearly impossible to get lost in the city looking for your place. This was one of the first things I really liked about the place. Upon entering, they really did a interesting, but great job with decorating. There is a Hip/Modern feel that you get from the hallways and the Room was just as nice (Lotus Room). High ceiling, and spacious bathroom, are things I think some people really underestimate; it really gave the room an amazing feeling. To p everything off, our nightly rate was about 54 dollars a night thanks to Trip Advisors coupon code TRIP (I don't know the expiration date). Also a nice plus was the fact that they had cable that you could switch from spanish to english (direct tv) and a DVD player. While TV is the last thing i worry about while on vacation, it was nice to have why changing/waiting for one person to come out the shower or bathroom, and even if you get a little sick (which happened), you can call it a night early and check out a movie from downstairs that they loan out to you. Also, it is hot in this city so having AC was great.
So, after traveling to 5 different hotels in Ecuador, this one seemed to be the best yet and I was thrilled....however, service was lacking. My first complaint is minor and I wouldn't have mentioned it if nothing else happened the rest of the trip, but there is a sign that says leave your towels on the ground in the bathroom if you want them changed; we did this exactly, and got no towels replaced. We realized this after we got out the shower that night, but luckily we had our beach towel and just dried off with that so no big deal. Thought maybe someone would realize it the next day when they serviced our room--this did not happen so we just went down and asked for a towel. Still no big deal. Next, while looking for my lock, we moved a bedside table to see if it could have gone under, and to our surprise we found a pair of pants and the biggest cockroach I have ever seen. Maybe they typically come in the size I saw, but it was by far the biggest one I have ever seen. Lucky for us, it was dead and on it's back. This really ruined my mood a little big because I HATE bugs. I can deal with them outside, but not inside and it was a 2 feet away from where my clothes were and also on the side of the bed where I was sleeping. We discovered this in the morning and went downstairs on our way out and just told the staff to please have someone take care of it. For me, that was that, and I dont hold on to things or worry about them much. Upon returning, my gf goes and check to see if they took care of it (the bed was made so clearly someone had been in it), and STILL THERE. We were gone for several hours. It was starting to get dark when we got back. So i went downstairs, told the person at the desk and this time he followed us, and took care of it (i sure wasn't about to touch a cockroach on my vacation). He seemed very apologetic when he found out we told someone earlier and it wasn't taken care of. He said he would talk to his boss and find a way to make it up to us. Very nice, being someone who has worked in a hotel myself, I think that is always a nice gesture even if the customer isn't made because to me, that shows that you care in some kind of way to acknowledge and go out of your way to make things better. At my hotel Intercontinental) this usually involved vouchers for free drinks, lunch, breakfast, discount on room or something of that nature; whatever it took to make the customer happy. For me, this could have been a little dessert cake, or since they have a spa, free service to their cheapest little spa (which we probably wouldn't have even used, but it would have made us both smile and say "that was nice of them"). Nothing happened though. No note from the manager, no candy on our bed. Just like it never happened. So clearly things don't get done usually. On our last night, we got home to our bed being covered in some type of flit. It almost felt like sand. Everywhere on the bed and between every layer of sheets. I thought it was just me not taking a good shower or something (i had just gotten out of the shower) or my skin was dry but in the middle of the night I asked my girlfriend if she could feel it and she could too. A very uncomfortable last night of sleep. So the combination of these things and other small little things (such as, asking the front desk about a taxi and trying to get a taxi since they have a sign saying the city has a kidnapping problem and we should call our taxis--they simply just kept tellin us we could just flag someone down outside and they will get us where we need to go.. Makes no sense. On one hand you're saying your concerned for our safety and saying we call a cab for you, and then when we mention it, you tell us to flag one down? Good thing is we weren't kidnapped) made the hotel go from an instant 4.5 stars for my taste to about a 2. It's a shame because I instantly recommended this hotel to a friend who is coming Mid-May the first day I got their and now I'm going to have to let them know it was just okay and expand on this review a little more and let them make their own choice as to where they want to stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
ricaro, Propietario at Manso Boutique Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 3, 2011
Dear Guest:

Everytime a guest leaves our place we ask them to fill out a customer satisfaction survey. When they are in a hurry to leave we email it to them. The feedback we get from that method is amazingly useful.

The feedback we got from your end was useful to solve a problem, because these days we were testing a digital system as a communication tool between our Reception people and the Housekeeping staff. We are going back to the original system because the two housekeeping problems you reported were aggravated by a lack of internal communication. Sorry about that!

Regarding the taxi incident, we do care about safety of our guests, that is why we wrote a sheet with safety advice which suggests that our guests should ask us to phone a cab insteaed of taking taxis on the street. Actually, nowadays most of the robberies that occur in Guayaquil happen on board of street taxis.

I spoke with the receptionist who told you to flag a cab on the street. She is very sorry about that but that morning the two reliable companies we work with did not have cars available and she knew that because she had just called them for another guest. When that happens, we go down with our guests, flag a taxi with them, bargain the rate and write down the plate number (for security), but that day she had a lot of guests to check out. If you could have waited she would have gone down with you. In a small guesthouse sometimes there is just not enough people!

We only use two taxi companies because out of the reliable taxi companies in town, most of them tend to overcharge users, so out of 20 times, there is 1 or 2 that none of them has cars. Whenever our guests have time to wait we will find a solution for them, but please dont misinterpret her actions as not caring about your safety.

Regarding the compensation for the housekeeping issue, you were granted an extra discount at the moment of check out. Please take a close look at your invoice. I agree that it deserved an apology note from me or the Manager, but we were not informed about it. Our staff knows that we should be informed of all abnormalities in service, but here comes a cultural issue. In Guayaquil bugs are part of our everyday life since we are born (this is a tropical city), so the receptionist who solved the proble did not inform me about the issue because he did not considered it really important. He is new in Manso and not aware that for us that kind of things ARE important. Thanks to your feedback, we are incorporating that cultural difference in our training material for new staff. We fumigate our builging very ofteh, so we see bugs very rarely and in our 2.5 years of life there had never been an opportunity to even think about this.

If you come back to Ecuador next year, plese make sure to stop by and ask for me. I remember your name very well as you were mentioned in some of our staff meetings. I will invite you a delicious organic dinner for 2! :)

Once more, my apologies for all this.

RICARDO
Santa Cruz, Ecuador
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

Pros
- Right on the Malecon and near to the local market
- Breakfast, WiFi, AC, Hot Water included
- Clean and cozy
- Nice food in restaurant

Cons
- Noisy...it's on the main street and this is a given. However, with the double windows and AC on, the noise is extremely diminished.
- Breakfast is basic: one egg, one carby item, coffee, and juice. The coffee is very nice and you can choose to have your juice with or without sugar. However, the amount of food is lacking. Some yogurt and granola would be nice - or even the option to order additional food (which we asked to do but said there was nothing else to order).
- Friday Night concert in the hotel. It didn't last long and wasn't too big of a deal considering it only lasted a little over an hour, but it was extremely loud and something to note if you are going to stay on any given Friday night and need to sleep.

Additional Notes: Make sure you read the important info. Breakfast is an hour later on the weekends. We missed our last breakfast because we did not know this and had to catch our flight. There is an important info board near the reception desk and the morning attendant had to move a bamboo plant so I could read it to figure out why there was no breakfast...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
ricaro, Propietario at Manso Boutique Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to review us.

I am sorry you didn't like our breakfasts. Let me tell you, in the past we used to offer a nice fruit salad with yogurt and granola but most guests didnt eat it, so we figured out that juice was more popular so we switched it.

We have analyzed your comment and decided to bring back the option to order an additional fruit salad for US$1.50, and for those who want to eat more, omelettes for an additional $1.50.

Every day of the week we have a different carb option with local specialties from the Ecuadorian coast (tortillas de yuca, bolon de verde, empanadas, etc). That way we intend to make our breakfast a cultural experience. They come with eggs, organic coffee or tea and juice.

Regarding the music shows we present, I assume you were here last Friday. That night we had noisy music but it was by all means something we never do. All our music shows are acoustic and bring innovative rythms. The show we presented last Friday was not what we always do because we accepted to experiment with a group of traveling musicians, but we seriously regret having accepted them. I personally apologized to the guests who had to bear with all that noise, and hereby I do so with you. The new promoter we started to work with was also fired; this was a big issue in our customer satisfaction meetings.

Thanks so much for having stayed with us.

RICARDO
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

Good points: nice atmosphere, good food , great location right on the Malecon, table on the balcony gives great view of Malecon/river,nice lounge.
Stayed in an amber room with private bathroom, cable TV, balcony
Friday night was a tango night in the hostel which was very nice!
We would stay there again and definitly recommend this place!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

Monica's hospitality was wonderful and it was great being picked up at the airport in a place we were unfamiliar with. Rooms are very nice and comfortable and a good value. Breakfast was also quite nice.

Location is a ways from the downtown area, but they will help you get a cheap taxi to get around.

But Monica absolutely went out of her way to help us when my mother lost her passport and I left knowing she was in good hands and would be well taken care of, which she was.

For friendly, local atmosphere and a wonderfully helpful staff, definitely recommend the Manso Boutique.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

I paid $54.90/night for 2 nights for a room w/private bathroom & cable TV. The hotel is located right on the Malecon which is Guayaquil's only real tourist destination. I visit the city often since I have family & friends there. You can tell management has invested some $$$ in trying to fix the place to accomodate guests.

Unfortunately, they were doing extensive work on the 2nd floor where I was and had to deal with dust & a strong paint smell during my stay. Breakfast is included but service is painfully slow. On both days I was never served any juice or coffee. Everytime I stared at the waiter he apologized & said he'd be right back (I guess the gossip with the kitchen staff was too good.) Also the fruit salad they gave me was awful!

Another thing I didn't care for was the fact that they published on their website that foreigners can get the 12% government tax returned. I asked the receptionist several times & she either told me she forgot to ask her supervisor or didn't know anything about it.

After 2 nights I left to a cheaper hotel (St. Raphael $30/night) before I spent my final 2 nights in Guayaquil at the Hampton Inn. Overall, the service is lacking but the price isn't bad and the location is great.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
ricaro, Owner at Manso Boutique Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Dear Guest: I am sorry about the slow service you received during breakfast. Your case was analyzed in our weekly meeting and we concluded that there was a lack of coordination in our supply side, an administrative error. Our breakfast waiter does not speak English and he was unable to express that. Sorry about that.

Breakfast quality is a high priority of us. Our kitchen staff carefully chooses the products served and we cook with love. Our fruit salads are made with fresh fruit, natural yogurt and home made granola. I am sorry if the day you mention, problems in the supply of materials forced a poor product. That shouldn't happen.

Regarding the tax return issue, we have been during the last months calling and asking the Internal Tax Service when they will open the booth in the Airport so travelers can present invoices and get a refund. The law was announced a few months ago, that is why it appears in our web site, but the booth is still a promise. Last information is that it should be open before Summer 2011.

The system wil be quite convenient, because travelers wil receive cash credits in their credit cards (only invoices above US$50 can be redeemed).

Thanks for taking the time to review us.

Been to Manso Boutique Guesthouse? Share your experiences!