“Great hotel, noisy neighbors” 4 of 5 stars

You added Palace Derossi to your Saves list
Palace Derossi
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Hrvatskih Mucenika 1, Trogir 21220 , Croatia   |
Ranked #8 of 49 Trogir B&B and Inns
“Great hotel, noisy neighbors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

This is a beautiful, clean, friendly hotel. I really like it but would not go back. Right below our room outside the hotel courtyard (on the outer perimeter of he city walls) was a bar where thumping music and the sound of a crowd continued until early morning. This is no fault of the owners, but I hardly slept (my wife can sleep through anything and was fine). I can only recommend this hotel if you know that late night music and noise won't keep you up - otherwise it was lovely.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

This was our second trip to Trogir and our first time staying at the Palace Derossi. I booked here because of other reviews on trip advisor and it worked out just as we planned. I contacted the hotel a few months in advance to make the reservations and they needed a credit card to hold the rooms for us. We were three couples traveling from Hungary to Hvar and needed a good stop over point close to Split before catching the ferry. Needless to say I booked at the Palace Derossi on the way to Hvar for a Sunday evening and the following Saturday evening on the way out of Hvar as a stop over point for our drive back to Hungary.

I am a total planner and emailed a couple days before asking for a conformation number so I could update the spreadsheet I created for our trip. They told me not to worry that our rooms were taken care of and not to worry that they would see us in a week. I know you can't drive in old town Trogir and was a little curious about the parking. They sent us a map and told us we could park in the lot adjacent to the pedestrian bridge adjacent to old town.

Upon our arrival to Trogir we crossed the only car bridge going into old town Trogir and pulled over to the right immediately after crossing. There is a barricade area there that has a people cross walk that you can park in temporarily to unload bags. Needless to say the entrance to Palace Derossi is only about 20 meters away from this spot so if you have a lot of luggage (we had bags for over a week for 6 people) you can't beat the location of the Palace. I will say I did not see a better location for a hotel when it comes to parking on Trogir. I have stayed in places in Croatia before and have had to drag my luggage for a least a mile or two NO JOKE and if you're looking for a close location then this is the place for you!

Anyway, I went inside and was greeted by Blazenka with a big smile. I told her who I was and she knew exactly whom we were because of the small group of us that went in. She gave a gate key for parking as we were checking in so one of us could move the car into the lot just across the bridge so we could park free of charge for our trip. After unloading our luggage and getting our information she showed us our rooms. We were staying in the standard rooms just adjacent to the front desk rooms 2,3,4.

All rooms were updated very clean, nice, neat and quiet with good air conditioning. The towels for the bathrooms were a little rough but clean, We had a view of the little daily market that sets up adjacent to the hotel so it was not bad either. Chances are if you're staying in Trogir you won't be spending much time in your room anyway. There were only two draw back for us the beds were a bit uncomfortable and in one of the rooms there was a smell that came from one of the toilets. The couple that stayed in this room did not realize it til later and when we checked back in the following Saturday we told the staff and they gladly changed the room for this couple (they were going to put us in the same rooms on the way back). I can say this the room they put the couple in was awesome. I have a feeling it was a suite or something but the shower had multiple functions and I think they bed may have even been a memory foam!? Must have been like the honeymoon suite or something! I am not saying this because you should complain to try and get an upgrade...but the place had an open room and that was that. Remember good karma so don't try to take advantage of the system!

Breakfast was nice and simple with cold cuts, fruit, coffee, tea and Blazenka was still there and she even cooked eggs for people that requested them. This just shows the kind of extra step the Palace take in making sure it's guests our happy!

The following Saturday we brought a bottle of wine on our way back through and they gladly chilled it for us and gave us 6 glasses and let us drink in the area next to our room and made us feel right at home. Three of us had an early flight out of the Split airport (15 minutes away) early the following day and Blazenka made a breakfast to go bag for us because we would be leaving before they would have the breakfast out.

All in all you can't beat this place for the location, hospitality or PRICE. If I could give it a 4.5 stars instead of 5 then I would do it. However the bed was just a little to much for me to say it was completely perfect. I know I am picky but that is why you're reading this review so you can get an objective opinion. So with that being said book the room already! You won't regret it and chances are if you're ever back in Trogir you will stay here again...I know we will!

J

Room Tip: There is an incentive for non credit card users ask the desk and if you want something nice ask for...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Leiston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Attached to the one of the gates into the old city, this is a lovely location if you don't mind being some distance from your car. Luggage on wheels or backpack works best. You can park over the bridge outside of the old town for free by the ferry drop off point but it is about a 10 minute walk back to the old town. There are car parks but they charge around 100 kruna per 24 hours. The Hotel is a medieval palace and the owners have sympathetically modernised. My room overlooked the river that rings the city and had air-con. Couldn't find wifi and the tv channels were limited. No fridge - which by now I had got used to having - or lift. meals are eaten in the open air courtyard with a buffet breakfast. The lovely staff will cook you simple things for breakfast - I had scrambled eggs and they were really delicious but you do have to ask.

Room Tip: Steep stone steps and no lift - you may find it easier to ask for a room on the first floor. Furnish...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Wonderful little hotel in Trogir, very close to Split airport. The hotel organised a taxi for us (120 kuna) and then met us at the taxi to show us inside. Lovely clean room. Excellent service and breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Bethesda, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Very convenient location next to town gate in Trogir, Room was modest and tight, internet limited. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Annapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

My husband and I were traveling with a large group of friends. Our reservations at the Hotel Tragos fell through so the staff booked us at the Palace Derossi instead. It was lovely and the staff was uber friendly and helpful. High ceilings, antique furniture, comfy beds, high-tech showers, some rooms with spa tubs. We especially liked the delightful inner courtyard for breakfast or an afternoon drink; a nice place to write some postcards or read a book. The hotel is right near the bridge and gate to the city. The only drawback was the techno bar under our room; I thought the noise would never end. We would definitely stay here again IF we had a quite room away from the street.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the street / techno bar.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Tivat, Montenegro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is a hotel for those who like character and history, not a colourless anonymous mass-market establishment.
We stayed here in early June to break the (car) journey to Montenegro as I wanted to revisit Trogir after over a decade. The hotel is in the Old Town next to the bridge from the main Split - Sibenik road, but access is restricted. Not having downloaded the directions, we took some time to find the place and were mis-directed to the Palace Hotel, much further away. We parked in the municipal car park on the mainland side of the water and brought our cases across the hump-backed bridge. We could/ should have parked by the pedestrian crossing at the bridge, nipped into the hotel with the cases and got the parking pass before we parked up - so be warned!
We were greeted by a very welcoming English-speaking girl who told us about the parking arrangements, and also provided a map of the town.
The hotel itself is made up of about 6 old buildings around a central courtyard. We had been allocated a room on the north-western side, up one floor. We were offered a choice and so had a look at a ground-floor one in the same house, but agreed that the allocated one had more light. Well-appointed comfortable room with everything seeming relatively new - we are very used to 'Balkan' conditions, and this was a high standard. I even got BBC World on the TV.
We went out to look at the city, a lovely compact place with its history written into the buildings (visit the Museum - well worth the HRK15). Coming back 'after hours' was not a problem as one of the keys on the bunch opened a side-door accessing the building for our room - not that we needed to as we retired relatively early.
Breakfast was taken in the reception area and the courtyard. Well appointed and more than adequate - continental style, not your traditional English cooked breakfast. We had learned from the car experience so got the car out of the parking and stopped by the pedestrian crossing to load up.
We will stay there again, definitely.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Palace Derossi? Share your experiences!