“St Andrews Island Istria/Rovinj” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #6 of 22 hotels in Rovinj
here
“St Andrews Island Istria/Rovinj”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

i could not write a review for St Andrews Island in Istria/Rovinj. I did not stay at the Hotel Istria, but i do highly recommend a boat ride to St Andrews island. It has a temple area, a great trail where you can see birds and plants, and the boat ride is inexpensive and fun, I recommend thsi boat ride/excursion over the glass bottom boat rides.

415 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed at the Istra for 2 weeks in September on a Thomson package. Stay started badly with a room mix up caused it seems by another guest with a surname starting with same letter - this was quickly sorted out with reception, but not before we had seen the rooms with a sea view, which are somewhat larger than the 'standard' rooms, so we quickly decided to pay a little extra and moved again.

The hotel is in a great location and has good facilities, but it was getting late in the season so not everything was open. The rooms are fine, great views, perhaps a bit dated, but very clean. We liked the spa, and although the gym is not wonderfully modern but it all works well enough. The location is fantastic on its own island, with great walks. We eat at the Pizza restaurant a few times which served pretty good pizza at reasonable prices. We also occasionally had a pleasant lunchtime snack in the bar near reception, served by very friendly staff.

We were on half board so had breakfast and dinner in the main buffet restaurant, generally lots of variety for both but very poor quality, breakfasts were a better bet, but all too often the hot options were at best luke warm, and included some very odd options (sprouts) . Dinner quickly turned into a bit of a trial, I appreciate the difficulties in catering for a large international clientele and perhaps British tastes have changed significantly in the last decade, but both of us really struggled to find anything particularly nice to eat. There is complimentary beer and wine, perhaps they should consider stopping this and spending more money on the food. Eat at the hotels A La Carte restaurant on the last night and in contrast the food was excellent.

Rovinj is a picturesque and historic town, although there isn't a great deal to do there, especially at the end of September.

Special mention for the Thomson rep Gian Carlo who is excellent.

Room Tip: It's got to be a sea view
Sheffield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We booked a 10 night holiday at this hotel with Thomson. On arrival the female receptionist asked for our surname. I gave her our e-ticket but she barely glanced at it, she told us our room no. and asked for our passports. She was extremely fast but unfriendly. The following day we noticed that the card holding our room swipe card had our departure date as 31/08, we weren't due to leave until 03/10. I went to Reception with my e-ticket. The Receptionist checked our details, gave me a new card and assured me that everything was correct and we would have no further trouble. Around lunchtime on 31/08 my husband went back to our room but couldn't get in. The Receptionist told him that we must vacate the room immediately. He explained all the above but the Receptionist told that according to their system we were leaving that day and we had to get our things out immediately. He told her we had the paperwork to support our booking. She called the Hotel Manager who told him our room was no longer ours and we had to leave. My husband had to ask them to unblock the card to allow him to get our paperwork. He came to find me. I took our e-ticket along to the same Receptionist, the one who originally booked us in. She told me quite flatly that we had to get out. I pointed out the wording in the e-ticket stipulating our 10 night stay at the hotel. She looked surprised but said that according to their system we were only booked for 7 nights and there was nothing she could do, adding that Thomson had only booked a 7 night stay for us. She then ignored me and went back to her screen. Whilst stood at the Reception desk I phoned the Thomson help line no. (in the UK) listed on the Welcome Pack. I gave the person on the other end our booking ref. no. He confirmed that we were certainly booked for a 10 night stay. He said he would call the hotel and then call me back. The Receptionist asked me to repeat my booking no. She then asked our names again and then quite nonchalant told me that we had been booked into the wrong room - they had another couple staying for 7 nights and the surname of one of this couple was the same surname as ours. ( If they had checked our passports they would have seen the error.) The Receptionist didn't apologise and said she would have to speak to the Hotel Manager. I told her that this was a disgraceful way to treat paying guests. She phoned the Hotel Manager and spoke in Croatian but I heard the words "blah, blah, blah" and, of course I can't be sure, I felt she was relaying to the Manager my reaction to the way we had been treated. The Hotel Manager came to the desk but didn't acknowledge me and was about to leave until I spoke directly to her saying that we had been treated very badly and that it was a disgrace to treat guests in such a manner. She replied saying we could keep our room for the next 3 nights (I guess she meant rather than move into another) but she said it as if she was doing us a favour. I told her that at no time had the hotel been willing to look into the problem when it was totally their fault. She then apologised and offered us a bottle of wine and plate of fruit. This event totally spoilt the remainder of the holiday for me. When we went past Reception later, the same female Receptionist was welcoming more Thomson guests and she was being very friendly so hopefully she now recognises that guests are customers and they pay her wages.
Now to the actual hotel. Our room looked onto waste ground and the back of the tennis court. It wasn't a nice view. The ground had odd, battered, old chairs littered about on scrub land. I think we were unlucky as most rooms had good views (the annoying thing is that this wasn't the room we should have had). The rooms are very clean and the beds are comfortable. Our bathroom was small with only a very small corner shower. The island is very scenic, although it does get very busy with day trippers. It was impossible to get a sunbed by the pool unless you got up at about 6 a.m. to put towels out. However the sunbeds round the pool were very close to one another, only inches away from the next, not my idea of tranquillity. There were small hedged garden areas where you could lay which were quieter.
We found the food to be pretty good, not as good as I had hoped - after reading some of the reviews, breakfasts were better than dinner. The omelette lady is fantastic. We always enjoyed the ferry ride to and from Rovinj. Rovinj is lovely but, again, very busy. I wouldn't hesitate to stay in Rovinj again but I wouldn't stay at Hotel Istra. I would also go at a quieter time of year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Maistra-Croatia, Manager at Hotel Istra, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
We are terrible sorry about the inconvenience concerning the booking date in hotel Istra.
We would like to apologize about the misunderstood with the surname.

In the same period we had two family with the same surname, same agency (Thomson) and same arrival date, the departure date was different and the receptionist confused the two booking forms.

We apologize several times on the spot when we realize that was our fault in the check in.
We are extremely sorry our goals are to be on complete disposal for all our guests and to improve our service every day. Your bad experience will be a lesson for us.

Therefore, we hope to have the chance to welcome You back to our hotel in the near future.

Assuring You of our best attention to your comfort.
Yours faithfully,
Nada Petrović Stepanov
Split, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Four day business trip to a conference in this hotel. Classic rooms, no special services. Hotel staff average, but flawless. Small and suitable gym. Spa area was great, no crowding. Pools great, clean. Conference room large, technically well equipped.

Room Tip: Rooms in the west mostly in shade (good in summer) but view tennis courts and walls.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

BRILLIANT can't fault what more can I say that has not been said already, you must try this hotel.
Ferry back and forth to Rovinj every day fantastic.
BEAUTIFUL narrow cobbled streets.All rooms have a sea veiw but the ones facing the pools have the sunshine.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

If you go expecting a large package holiday hotel you will not be disappointed, it is not
however a 4 * hotel, any extra's they can charge you for they will, no wifi in rooms/communial areas, no ironing facilities in the room, hiring of sun beds little things that all add up to hassle factor.

Breakfast was plentiful and varied, boat ride back to the main land was efficient and there was always room even at peak times. Staff were friendly but hotel management need to step up to modern 4* standards

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Swansea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Just returned from a week in Croatia.The hotel Istria is set on a small penninsula known locally as Red Island and can only be reached by a short boat journey.The staff were pleasant the hotel spotless and the food more than adequate.A nice touch was beer and wine with your evening meal.Our room had a lovely sea view well worth the extra.Evenings had very little entertainment not to everyone's taste.Rovinj is a lovely little town with a great atmosphere we spent a great saturday night there listening and dancing to a suprt group along with a mix of nationalities just having a good time.A note for Thompsons.Your on site rep Giancarlo was as good as we have experienced in all our many years of travel.Pleasant nothing was to much trouble knowledgable and with a passion for his country look after him he is a real asset to you.We really enjoyed our second trip to Croatia and hope it won't be our last.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Istra? Share your experiences!