“Outrageous Bait and Switch - Do not stay here....” 1 of 5 stars

Residence Porta Antica
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Vrata pod zidom 1, Rovinj 52210, Croatia   |
Ranked #7 of 175 Specialty Lodging in Rovinj
New Albany, Ohio
“Outrageous Bait and Switch - Do not stay here....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

We regrettably spent 2 nights at Porta Antica 16-17 September 2009. It is too bad we have such a bad feeling about our stay because Rovinj itself is worth seeing. The spacious rooms and kunos prices advertised in the Rick Steves book and on the internet are not what you will get. Let me make this clear up-front, this is not a fault of Rick Steves. Two outrageous things occurred that require me to write my first totally negative review and warn travelers not to stay here. First, we were not placed in the advertised spacious rooms with sea view located over a restaurant. Instead, we were placed in a separate building which had been, we were told, recently acquired by the owners of Porta Antica. The room, using the term loosely, was tiny and crowded. The "sea view" was a glimpse over what appeared to be a location for storing trash for the entire building which was located below our second-floor window. I have been traveling in Europe for 10 years and have never experienced such a room nor did we elsewhere traveling throughout Croatia, Slovenia and Italy on this six-week trip. What also occurred and is totally outrageous is that Porta Antica is charging euros instead of advertised kunas (the official money of Croatia) for their room rates. An example is that instead of "n" kunos as advertised in Rick Steve's book, they are charging "n" euros. If it was 100 Kunos, it is now 100 euros which is quite a hefty jump in price. On checking out I refused to pay the euros price because I rented the room using the kunos rate advertised in Rick Steve's Croatia & Slovenia guide. Also, I would not pay the euros requested due to the switch and bait room we had been given.The Porta Antica representative tried to argue that they had the right to change rooms but relented after I raised the above issues in front of other customers and he made a phone call to his manager. I eventually paid the lesser amount equivalent of the advertised kunos in euros which even this was not really worth the room we were given.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Hungarian first
Tucson
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

you simply cannot beat the location of Porto Antico. We stayed in Apt 3, with 3 huge windows overlooking the harbor. We were mesmerized by the view, the airiness and light of the 1 bedroom apartment.
However, it did have some drawbacks.
1) Being right on the waterfront, it is noisy. But we knew that when we chose it., but be forewarned.

2) The apartment is no luxury by any stretch of the imagination.

The bathroom is tiny and very old, the bedroom is tiny,with almost no space whatsoever to put toiletries or anything else. (We put all that in the kitchen.) It also needs significant updating to at least abit more modern standards.

The bedroom is likewise tiny, with almost no room to walk around the bed, Additionally it has no storage and no place to open or put luggage ( nor anything to put luggage on-anywhere in the apartment..). Nor does the bedroom have any light by which to read.The bedroom is also very noisy if you have the window open- but that really is the price you pay for the location.

The main room is charming, but again, has no place to put luggage and no storage-,most of our misc. items were simply dumped on the table which sat in the middle of the room.. A significant drawback was that there are almost no lights in the room and I found it impossible to read anything at all. Bring book lights if you intend to read. Although not a huge deal- the TV was very small and took up what little space there was on the small dresser in the main room.

Ah and the kitchen. Don't count on cooking there- it took me about an hour to heat water for coffee. Useless. But it does have a small refrigerator, which was really sufficient for our needs.

No laundry facilities for any of the apartments.

We could not get wireless in the apartment, even though we were very close to the office.However, we did get signals from some other source once in awhile.

Also, pack lightly- the stairs to the aprtment are narrow and difficult with a big bag.

All in all I would return- just for the location, but if you expect modern conveniences or deluxe or luxury, I think you need to look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

I would like to take a few minutes to discuss my experience with Porta Antica. My husband and I traveled to Croatia to celebrate our honeymoon in July 2009. We spent a lot of time researching locations and places to stay in Rovinj. My husband and I decided to "splurge," or spend more money then we usually do for our stay in Rovinj. We specifically chose Porta Antica becasue it was located on the small peninsula and it had sea front views.

When we arrived on July 7, 2009, we located Porta Antica as seen on the Internet and as advertised in our Rick Steve's travel guide. My husband and I were both very excited about our stay at Porta Antica. Then, much to our surprise, we were escorted off the peninsula area and into another building that did not have sea front views. I later learned that this was La Carera and not Porta Antica.

The hallway leading to the stairwell, had a nauseating odor from the trash bins, and we had to plug our noses and run for the stairs every time we accessed our room #11. The second morning of our stay I took a cold shower, and had to use my personal tissues as we had run out of toilet paper, and the apartments do not get serviced.

We also had to deal with a loud resturant located underneath our window. Even with the air conditioning we could hear silver striking the plates well after 11 pm.

By the time we checked out, I was absolutely in tears, and could not believe that we had paid 100 Euros a night for a room that I would barely pay 50 Euros for.

When we checked out, we discussed our displeasure with the Porta Antica clerk. Since this was not the owner, I waited until we returned from our trip to get the issue resolved. I was told in an e-mail that there was nothing they could do because I did not discuss the issues when we were there.

I feel like we were completely mislead as I had specifically requested a room in Porta Antica and not La Carera. I did review their website when I returned home, and there is a lot of writing in small print about how they can change rooms/locations without notice.

Based on our experiences, I would definitely NOT recommend reserving a room with Porta Antica.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

My fiance and I stayed in Apartment number 1 for three nights. The location was amazing! The patio overlooks the port and marina. The apartment is located within walking distance of many wonderful restaurants (go to Al Gastaldo!) and an amazing park (Rovinj park?) where people were rock climbing, mountain biking, dog walking and hiking. Rovinj was one of the highlights of our trip to Europe. This fishing town is so beautiful! Porta Antica apartments are well decorated, very comfortable, and classy.

• Liked — Very Nice Apartment
  • Disliked — Less than friendly staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Residence Porta Antica? Share your experiences!