“Croatia is wonderful!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Novi Vinodolski
Colorado
“Croatia is wonderful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We traveled to Croatia as a group of 6 in 2 vehicles for a 4 night stay. The location of the Spa/Hotel/Resort was central to our travels & a real plus for us. We stayed in 1 of the apartments (3 bedrooms/2 full bathrooms) & although it was clean (however we noticed an ant problem our last day there) & functional, the entire resort as a whole felt a little tired & weary & in need of extensive remodeling. You could see where maintenance was differed & the finishings were of builder-grade. The personnel were helpful & friendly. Although there we were told at the time we were there that only about 50 people were currently staying at the resort, we were placed in an apartment way, way far away from the parking garage (which we had to pay extra for). You will also have to pay for things like dishwashing detergent (which you can buy at a nearby grocery store). We would stay there again but probably not in high season as it would be a logistical nightmare getting around. The prices of groceries/drinks/sundries as well as restaurant prices were very reasonable especially in comparison with other European countries. We traveled to the national park reserve, Krk island (including the island cave) and other larger cities nearby (within an hour). We had a wonderful trip and recommend this hotel and Croatia in general to anyone thinking of visiting this part of Croatia.

Room Tip: Unless you have children, I would request a room/apartment FAR away from the children's pavilion...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

The first impression is impressive. The view and the furniture at the lobby are very nice. But then is so disappointing everything. The rooms are kind of dirty, the designing is so weird. Also is so big, enormously big you kind of get lost. The food is not bad but not good the massage was ok. The people at the hotel are nice. The small details of the hotel are so so bad, there was a hole on my room door and they just put on a tape to cover it. Not good hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Vienna, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

While the location of this hotel and the sea views are excellent, the service and staff are a disaster.

One, during the start of the breakfast everything went fine, but during the last our of the breakfast nobody cleans the tables. There were four staff walking around but none of them would work. There were no clean tables so we sat at one of the tables with plates and glasses of some guests who had been eating there before. During our 30 minute breakfast nobody came to clean the table.

Two, they ran out of milk. I asked a waitor if I can get some milk and he told me to ask someone else. So I went to another waitor and she gave me some milk for my cerial. Fifteen minutes later I saw another guests asking for milk. The staff still did not bother to bring milk to the cerials table.

Three, there were no spoons. I asked a waitor if I can get a spoon and he told me to take one from one of the tables. Then he realized that there are only forks and knives on the tables and he told me to ask another waitor.

Four, a lot of the facilities are broken. I am attaching photos of three different glass walls that are broken. One was near the swimming pool and two were in the elevators.

Five, on one of the broken glasses in the elevator I accidentally tore my shirt and injured my back (I did not notice it was broken so I leaned at the elevator wall). Few hours later incidentally I was in the elevator with a hotel manager. I showed him a broken glass wall and told him I got injured and that I tore my shirt. He turned away and without looking at me during he was walking away he said “We need to fix it. Thanks for telling us.” Three days later the broken glass was still there and still broken and dangerous.

Six, when I ordered a drink in the bar it took 15 minutes and a waitor could not put a drink on my hotel room bill. This is the only hotel in the world where a guest cannot put a drink on a room bill. They told me that upon my arrival I should have told the receptionist that I want to use the option of putting the drinks on my room bill. Unbelievable.

Seven, the hotel is supposed to be family hotel but you cannot access the swimming pools with a baby stroller. There are stairs and no elevator between the reception and the indoor hotel.

Eight, the water in the indoor pool was freezing cold so we did not even go inside. On Sunday the water in the jacuzzis was also dirty.

Nine, if you do not return the towel at the pool or tyou lose he plastic pool card (the card worth nothing) they charge you 50 euros. Unbelievable. We did not lose the towel or a card. However, no hotel should have this kind of attitude to the guests they serve.

Ten, half of the buttons on the telephone in the hotel room did not work. We could call some numbers, but not the others (we could not call, for example, reception).

Eleven, the apartment was full of ants.

Twelve, the towels at the SPA were falling apart.

Thirteen, the Internet in the apartment went on and off. It worked about 30% of the time.

Fourteen, in the sauna “swimming suits are required”.

Fifteen, apartments and indoor pool are inaccessible for wheelchairs.

Lastly, it seems that most of the positive Tripadvisor reviews of this hotel are fake. The last four 5 star reviews of this hotel come from the users who have done only one review (Nevena_12, Barbara P, Milos-Mirjana, Domagoj1). This means they signed up, reviewed this hotel and gave it 5 stars, and then never reviewed any other hotel. You do not see that with other hotels.

Room Tip: Seaviews are awesome. Ground floor apartments have nice terraces but they also have ants.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The hotel is simply stunning on the first look. The design is fabulous, well styled, gardens look great, the view is breathtaking. BUT… there are so many details that aren’t right and simply should not occur in a 5* hotel:
- the hotel is more or less new, but there are so many things that are already broken / far from perfect (e.g. wallpapers hanging down from the walls - not just a bit, really hanging down)
- breakfast area is way to loud (the breakfast room is huge and very bare, meaning that the noise level is crazy, no way you could enjoy a relaxing holidays breakfast)
- the service is simply not good enough – in any 2* hotel they do more for your comfort and welcome you more
- you need to pay for the garage 10€ per day (seriously… the hotel is in the middle of nowhere; I am totally ok with paying for the garage in cities but there it is only their extension of ripping off… )
Ok, but of course there are also some very positive sides:
- I found the spa area super, I loved it
- the views are great, I love this on holidays, I had a feeling that I am 100% more relaxed because of peace & tranquillity there
- the food in the restaurants that were open at the time of our visit was good, we enjoyed it very much

I realize that I am extremely critical: this hotel has all the ingredients to be great (location, design…) but fails on very simple, but important difference: in some places you feel ripped off and in some you gladly pay for the luxury. Here I felt ripped off, unfortunately…

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
sarajevo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Apartments are nice and comfortable for families with older kids - I hate to spend time in tiny rooms while you are trying to relax :-). SPA area is nice - agree with comments that pool water is cold 27C is quite low for me.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. The weather during our stay was terrible, so it was very important to have their proper assistance.

Room Tip: for families with older children - definitely premium apartments.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Budapest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We have just returned from our trip to Croatia and had stayed 3 nights in the Novi Spa. The facility is located at an awesome place and it would be a fanatsic resort with the right management and another staff. Our first impresssion had been very positive, the lounge of the hotel is beautiful and the style very modern. But as more we have stayed we had faced tremendous negative impressions: The whole hotel is after 5 years in use ran down and it seems nobody take care about maintenance. The Spa is nice but needs maintenance, some places are dirty and broken. The beach is terrible with concret walls which look like it never had been really finished. The Service is lousy and the personal seem to be educated in the Ex -Soviet Union. No smile and they love the word "No, not possible". But beside of this we had been tried to ripped of by the personal: The lady at the check out desk tried to give us a bill which had been twice (!) of the accomodation fee as on the internet displayed. After we have refused to pay she called somebody and changed the invoice as we had showed her on the internet. No explanation, no excuse. She even was not competent enough to explain us why the reception is always busy when you try to call them. Prices are way to high for a ressort in the mddle of nowhere (almost 6 EUR for a small Espresso!) and every extra gets charged. Try to avoid this Ressort until the whole management including staff gets exchanged!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Belgrade, Serbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I had spacious, comfortable accommodation with gorgeous views from the balcony.
…. Beautiful garden with authentic Mediterranean species of plants, the smell of rosemary and great views from almost every corner of the hotel.
Friendly staff.
stylish equipped rooms for rest and relaxation with many terraces with open views on the small, mysterious and stylish hotel beach.
Peaceful and harmonious space is why I liked to be here and I am going to be back.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Novi Spa Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!