We stayed here for 4 nights in May 2011 with friends in the China suite. The low rating is based on value for money and the high expectations we had due to the extortionate price!
I should point out that we do not normally stay in accommodation that costs 425 Euro per night (per couple). We enjoy good quality accommodation and quality hotels and over the years our spending on holidays has increased and we are 'happy' to pay up to £300 per night for something really special.
The reason for this Croatian extravagance was that our friends also love great holidays and it's fair to say routinely spend this sort of money on accommodation so we got a little bit carried away and decided to spoil ourselves as it was only for 4 nights.
We should have been concerned from the word go by the shambolic online payment system. The website states that you must pay in full at the time of booking and despite our best efforts we didn't think we had due to a problem with the system. We didn't want to lose the booking so I emailed several times and phoned only to be told on each occasion that I had paid! I was sure that I hadn't and made this very clear but was 'reassured' that the payment had been made and the booking was secure.
On to the hotel itself, I should say that there were some positives:
1. Location - a beautiful spot in the old town and the China residence has a great balcony with wonderful views.
2. The room was cleaned well
However all of our party felt that there were negatives:
1. Water issues. One of the rooms has an enormous bath in it's bathroom so I thought I had to try it but the water was not properly hot so at best the bath was lukewarm.
Our friends in the other room said that their shower had very poor water pressure and was pretty poor overall.
2. Unpleasant odour. In our bathroom there was an unpleasant smell in the bathroom which reminded me of a cross between cat wee and classic 'drain smell'.
3. Sunbathing - we knew that there wasn't a pool so can hardly moan about that but we all found it odd that there weren't any sun-beds to hire near the hotel or on the beach. The weather was fantastic when we were there but we were told that it was 'out of season' so no sun-beds were on offer. The balcony is a real suntrap though but the China suite only has a round cushioned bed which could fit 2 people(Ish) but we all felt 2 proper luxury sun loungers would have been better.
4. Value for money. This was the big one and the one we just can't get over. Given that the room was costing 850 Euro per night then a few things were totally unacceptable to us:
a) When we first arrived we wanted to make a coffee and were shown the fancy coffee machine available for our use. There is also a fridge but when we checked there was no milk provided. I called down to get some and when it arrived we were asked to sign for it and it cost approx £4!! I couldn't believe it........
b) We were told that the rate was for bed and breakfast and quite frankly we were expecting one hell of a breakfast. We were shown the menu and soon saw that continental breakfast was included (and, to be fair it was very good) but all cooked items like eggs or french toast were chargeable as were certain hot drinks like lattes. For 850 Euros I expect to get anything I'd like from the breakfast menu and as many hot drinks as I wanted!
5. Life's little luxuries. When I am away I appreciate the shampoo/conditioners on offer and like it if they are a known brand which is a bit special. At this hotel the toiletries were in large plastic dispensers and of poor quality.
6. Check out. Our friends had to leave very early on the last day as they were catching a ferry at 6am. The owner assured us that someone would be at our room at 5.30am to help them with their bags. They texted us to say that nobody came and they struggled down the stairs and to the ferry stop on their own. I complained on their behalf and was told that someone had come at 5.40am but nobody was there!
7. Air conditioning. We had the air conditioning on for the first 2 nights but didn't feel it was working properly. I asked Toni to look into it and it turns out the didn't have it set to 'cooling' and it was in winter mode! He said that he would change it but when he did it was so noisy that we couldn't have it on in our bedroom as it was keeping us awake.
Given that we were disappointed by the stay my one great hope was that we wouldn't be charged as Toni had been so adamant that we had already paid. Unfortunately he realised his error so we paid in full.
On our private transfer back to Dubrovnik our driver from Korkyra Travel (highly recommended company we used for transfers and trips) was chatting with us about the hotel. We were saying that we had been disappointed and were annoyed with ourselves for paying so much and he said that he can't believe how much they charge and he has heard feedback from lots of guests that it just isn't worth the money. The room we were in costs 1050 Euros per night in high season..........
All in all we feel that if the room had been 500 Euro per night we'd have all felt that it was worth it as 250 Euro per couple would have been high but about right. In case any of you are big spenders and think we are just being unreasonable then our big spending friends agreed that the service and standards were not worth the money.
I was torn between 2 stars and 3, I hope that people take heed of this review and then consider whether they are prepared to pay the price.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, MrandMrsSmith, BookingOdigeoWL and Hotels.com so you can book your Lesic-Dimitri Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lesic-Dimitri Palace Hotel Korcula Island