“Not worth the money” 3 of 5 stars

Don Pavla Pose 1-6, Korcula Island 20260, Croatia   |
Malvern Wells, Worcestershire
“Not worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in May 2011 with friends in the China suite. The low rating is based on value for money and the high expectations we had due to the extortionate price!

I should point out that we do not normally stay in accommodation that costs 425 Euro per night (per couple). We enjoy good quality accommodation and quality hotels and over the years our spending on holidays has increased and we are 'happy' to pay up to £300 per night for something really special.

The reason for this Croatian extravagance was that our friends also love great holidays and it's fair to say routinely spend this sort of money on accommodation so we got a little bit carried away and decided to spoil ourselves as it was only for 4 nights.

We should have been concerned from the word go by the shambolic online payment system. The website states that you must pay in full at the time of booking and despite our best efforts we didn't think we had due to a problem with the system. We didn't want to lose the booking so I emailed several times and phoned only to be told on each occasion that I had paid! I was sure that I hadn't and made this very clear but was 'reassured' that the payment had been made and the booking was secure.

On to the hotel itself, I should say that there were some positives:
1. Location - a beautiful spot in the old town and the China residence has a great balcony with wonderful views.
2. The room was cleaned well

However all of our party felt that there were negatives:
1. Water issues. One of the rooms has an enormous bath in it's bathroom so I thought I had to try it but the water was not properly hot so at best the bath was lukewarm.
Our friends in the other room said that their shower had very poor water pressure and was pretty poor overall.
2. Unpleasant odour. In our bathroom there was an unpleasant smell in the bathroom which reminded me of a cross between cat wee and classic 'drain smell'.
3. Sunbathing - we knew that there wasn't a pool so can hardly moan about that but we all found it odd that there weren't any sun-beds to hire near the hotel or on the beach. The weather was fantastic when we were there but we were told that it was 'out of season' so no sun-beds were on offer. The balcony is a real suntrap though but the China suite only has a round cushioned bed which could fit 2 people(Ish) but we all felt 2 proper luxury sun loungers would have been better.
4. Value for money. This was the big one and the one we just can't get over. Given that the room was costing 850 Euro per night then a few things were totally unacceptable to us:
a) When we first arrived we wanted to make a coffee and were shown the fancy coffee machine available for our use. There is also a fridge but when we checked there was no milk provided. I called down to get some and when it arrived we were asked to sign for it and it cost approx £4!! I couldn't believe it........
b) We were told that the rate was for bed and breakfast and quite frankly we were expecting one hell of a breakfast. We were shown the menu and soon saw that continental breakfast was included (and, to be fair it was very good) but all cooked items like eggs or french toast were chargeable as were certain hot drinks like lattes. For 850 Euros I expect to get anything I'd like from the breakfast menu and as many hot drinks as I wanted!
5. Life's little luxuries. When I am away I appreciate the shampoo/conditioners on offer and like it if they are a known brand which is a bit special. At this hotel the toiletries were in large plastic dispensers and of poor quality.
6. Check out. Our friends had to leave very early on the last day as they were catching a ferry at 6am. The owner assured us that someone would be at our room at 5.30am to help them with their bags. They texted us to say that nobody came and they struggled down the stairs and to the ferry stop on their own. I complained on their behalf and was told that someone had come at 5.40am but nobody was there!
7. Air conditioning. We had the air conditioning on for the first 2 nights but didn't feel it was working properly. I asked Toni to look into it and it turns out the didn't have it set to 'cooling' and it was in winter mode! He said that he would change it but when he did it was so noisy that we couldn't have it on in our bedroom as it was keeping us awake.

Given that we were disappointed by the stay my one great hope was that we wouldn't be charged as Toni had been so adamant that we had already paid. Unfortunately he realised his error so we paid in full.

On our private transfer back to Dubrovnik our driver from Korkyra Travel (highly recommended company we used for transfers and trips) was chatting with us about the hotel. We were saying that we had been disappointed and were annoyed with ourselves for paying so much and he said that he can't believe how much they charge and he has heard feedback from lots of guests that it just isn't worth the money. The room we were in costs 1050 Euros per night in high season..........

All in all we feel that if the room had been 500 Euro per night we'd have all felt that it was worth it as 250 Euro per couple would have been high but about right. In case any of you are big spenders and think we are just being unreasonable then our big spending friends agreed that the service and standards were not worth the money.

I was torn between 2 stars and 3, I hope that people take heed of this review and then consider whether they are prepared to pay the price.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stayed here for a couple of nights on honeymoon and booked the top suite... it was incredible! We had the best massages we have ever had in their spa. Breakfast was delicious and the restaurant and staff were lovely. One thing I would point out are the bells! Being in the old town the hotel is next to a bell that chimes on the hour EVERY hour. On the first night we had all the windows open and I heard every one.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

Good in theory, NOT execution. In theory it is a converted bishop's palace with large, uniquly designed rooms. In practice the rooms are musty and windowless. Granted we did book the cheaper of the 2 one bedrooms, but silly me for expecting more for $500/night?! In theory it is a five star hotel on a beautiful island. In practice the service wasn't friendly and was far from accomodating. They were put off that we wanted to eat when it was raining (yes they close the restarant when it rains) or that we would need internet on vacation (it was "broken"). While it is apparently the nicest place on the island, if you go, set your expectations lower than I did!
Honestly, if I had to plan our trip again, I might just skip Korcula and stay longer at Hotel Argentina in Dubrovnik or Hotel Riva in Hvar.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

Beautiful hotel , amazing rooms, fantastic restaurant ... A really romantic and special place , a hidden gem ! . The owners clearly love their hotel and take great pride in it. Nothing you ask for is too much trouble. Be warned The hotel has no pool , it's not that kind of place .. It's boutique and romantic and in the centre of the old town , very reasonably priced .. Ah Perfect in every way !

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Corona, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

We spent 1 night at the Lesic Dmitri last week and had one of the most memorable experiences ever. Korcula was our next to last stop after working our way down from Venice, Istria, Sibenik, and Hvar. We are accustomed to 5 star accommodations, and this easily passed the test. The highlight of our short stay was our room, Arabia. It was completely tented and the color palette is all white. It was stunning. It is worth the extra money.
Tony was great and offered up a wonderful dinner recommendation. He later showed us a few of the other rooms and each one was exquisite in it's own way. The complimentary breakfast was yummy and delivered right to our room.
Our only regret was that we couldn't stay longer in Korcula. Thanks Lesic Dmitri for a wonderful, never to be forgotten experience.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

My wife and I just spent 4 nights in Korcula at Lesic Dmitri and found it to be an awesome and unique experience. Staff was phenomenal and responsive. Spa / massages terrific. Rooms were so unique and very cool. On our last day, the weather was a little fowl and Toni and the hotel staff set up wine and hors devours for the guests which was a really nice gesture and a great opportunity to meet other people. After walking around the island I can’t imagine wanting to stay anywhere else. We would highly recommend staying here, and definitely eating in the restaurant too – phenomenal!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

From the moment I arrived, I felt at home with its friendly staff and beautiful interior deco. I would like to thank the hotel manager Toni for spending time talking to me about the history and cultural heritage of Korcula.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Been to Lesic-Dimitri Palace? Share your experiences!