“Amazing food and hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 98 Restaurants in Hvar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Amazing food and hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

We were invited to join some friends for a traditional Hvar meal at Konoba Humac. It's an amazing restaurant in a deserted village with spectacular views (it's a pretty hairy ride to get there). The food was superb and the restaurant owners were wonderfully welcoming. I can't recommend this place highly enough for a taste of real Croatian cuisine and hospitality. I don't understand how anyone could review this place badly. I can only think there must have been a misunderstanding.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Zagreb, Croatia
“old lamb”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

first time there was just great, great food and service. next time we made a reservation and ordered fresh lamb 1 kg made in a special way, which preparation takes few hours, when we got there we got 0,5 kg of fresh lamb and other were leftovers. we complained and got a discount, but that was so rude...

• Visited August 2010
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Prague, Czech Republic
“The best lamb ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Everytime I eat there I cant help myself ordering the same dish over and over again, the lamb is spot-on, it cant be any better... And I think I know what Im talking about.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Brazil
“wonderfull unexpected place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

I dont agree wth the others reviews! it was an amazing experience, getting there without expectations. rustic place and food, but the view, the clima etc etc are great! good house wine, delicious lambs, chicken and sausages, salads, the perfect olives and olive oil etc etc
no electricity, candles lights when the Sun comes down, smell of lavender, rosemary, grapes...
the waitress was so kind telling us about the place, wood tables with families, romantic couples, no noisy...
perfect and I recommend!
Leticia

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
vancouver
“Konoba Humac, Jelsa, Hvar - disgraceful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

We were in Jelsa for a social occasion with a group made up of half English speakers, and half Croatians. One of the Croatians reserved us a dinner table at Konoba Humac, including our orders which had to be made ahead of time because of the slow cooking peka technique which is used there. When we got there the restaurant was puzzled by our presence and claimed not to have heard of us. They seated us, but although we had ordered Lamb and Beef ahead of time they brought us only the beef (after agreeing to bring us both). They took a detailed dessert order, even asking us to specify what we wanted on our pancakes, but 20 minutes later brought us melon with the simple comment, "No pancakes". We had been asked to arrive quite late when the booking was made, as they said they were busy earlier, and had done so. But we were very annoyed to see the entire staff eating and drinking at the table next door to us while they were neglecting to prepare the dessert we had ordered.

It was a sort of bizarre, surreal experience, being asked in detail what you wanted then being told without discussion 20 minutes later it was not available while being given something else. And only having half your meal brought to you. Some of our party speculated it was a sort of communist attitude hangover. In any event, in my quite long life I have not encountered a more despicable group of restauranteurs than at Konoba Humac.