“The nicest place i have ever been!!” 4 of 5 stars

Villa Cavtat
Put od Cavtata 3, Cavtat 20210, Croatia   |
Ranked #16 of 18 hotels in Cavtat
Manchester
“The nicest place i have ever been!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

Where can I start… Cavtat is probably the nicest place I have EVER been to. Cavtat is about 5-10 minutes drive from the airport which is great. Planes do cross over Cavtat but to be honest are hardly noticed.

The Villa Cavtat Apartment where we stayed in had probably the best view in Cavtat overlooking both bays aswell as a clear view into Dubrovnik and all the other resorts along the way. It was on the fourth floor (steps only) but well worth it. It was pretty basic kitchen but very nice all the same and the bathroom is lovely. The apartment has 2 balconies in effect. The main one which offers the great views with a sitting area (unsheltered) and also a balcony and sitting area at the top of the stairs on entrance into the apartments which has a lovely view onto one of the bays(sheltered). This apartment is completely undersold, I highly recommend it.

We booked with Mihaela who was really helpful with the many questions before we arrived and she also picked us up from the airport and dropped us back off for 30 Euro.

The family who own the apartments were very nice, friendly and helpful in every way possible.

Due to the location of the apartment it is not necessarily the best for people with walking difficulties, although not impossible as there is an excellent bus service in Cavtat which the apartments are 1 stop up the hill and costs 5 kuna which is about 60p (worth every penny). Even locals get this bus up the hill so don’t think it is being lazy. It is a further 1 stop that it would be in the UK.

The bus service in Cavtat is fantastic. There are plenty that run to and from Dubrovnik and to other local towns on a daily basis, time tables are available from the Tourist Information which is at the bus station and they are displayed on the noticeboard. They run from early morning and run upto about 12-1am to and from Dunrovnik,

Cavtat in general is fairly quiet. I am 28 and I went with my parents and it was the perfect place. It’s not recommended for a lively girl’s holiday but I would definitely go with a partner or a fairly quiet relaxing holiday.

I was under the impression that it was going to be an expensive holiday from reviews I had read. In 10 days I spent about £450 that was including every lunch out apart from 1 which included wine and every evening meal apart from 2 which included wine, soft drinks and cocktails…… We made the mistake of purchasing food from the supermarket which we then felt we had to eat which was the only reason we stayed in 2 nights, which had we have known how cheap it was we would never have done. We had some expensive meals out which included Steaks etc and others we went to nice restaurants and had Italian food such Pizza and Pasta dishes. We never had a bad meal. That £450.00 also included the usual things gift purchasing and shoes/scarves etc for myself.

If you like looking at Yachts this place is incredible. There are the most amazing yachts that moor in Cavtat harbor, although wasn’t there whilst I was I believe that Obranovich travels here. There are plenty of bars where you can just sit by the harbor and enjoy a drink while watching what is going on and again, not at an expensive price.
There is some nice shops in Cavtat and a great ice-cream parlor which is a must try. Although there are no sandy beaches there are a couple of beaches which are shingle type where sunbeds and umbrellas are available and also there are several places in the rocks which has been dedicated to sunbathing areas and access into the sea should you wish a quieter location.

We went to Dubrovnik a couple of times. Once on the boat which takes about 45 minutes and is about £10pp return. An excellent service which is clearly marked with times and is pretty much on the dot time wise. The 1st time we went it was a Saturday, which is a busy day for Cruise Ships, we walked around the walls of the old town which is a must if you can. We then went to do some shopping but given the amount of people we decided to do the shopping on our visit later in the week. The 2nd visit we made was late afternoon via Bus from Cavtat. It takes approximately 30 minutes and cost 12 kuna (about £1.50pp). This time we went to the new town and had a look at the harbor where the cruise ships dock and then we got the 1B bus back into the old town (is it a fair walk up hill). Although the bus from Cavtat does stop at the old town we decided to go to the bus station. We looked around the shops and then had a 3 course meals (set menu) right on the main street and was 75 Kuna per person which was only about £9.00, amazing as I am quite a fussy eater. The shops are very nice, a lot sell the same things but they all have different things in aswell.
We were unsure what the money situation was as we were told both Kuna and Euro were accepted. There was not much difference between the 2 however you can only use Kuna for the Bus Service and Supermarket. We did mainly use Kuna although we paid for a couple of meals in Euro.

Dubrovik Airport is not all that big, however has a great Duty Free, where I found myself spending almost as much as I had in the 10 days. I am lead to believe there is no limit on anything you bring back within reason and I had no problems.
Overall this was probably the best holiday I have ever had as far as location, relaxation and a lovely place in general. I will definitely be returning to Catvat in the future and I think Dubrovnik would be great for those who enjoy City Breaks. The only downside I found is that a lot of Croatians are not very friendly, particularly in shops and supermarkets. I think they are still getting used to tourism and this is certainly not going to put me off going again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Maidstone ,UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Yet again we have stayed at the Butijers Villa Cavtat. Mr Butler is no longer primative as his English is now excellent, as is his wine. Another enjoyable stay. Book direct with Michela and save a lot on commision from the usual agencies. They now have wireless internet so bring your computer. Cavtat gets more expensive each time we visit, but this accomodation wont break the bank. Will return at some time.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Lumbarda, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

I was bringing a group to Croatia [--] and was having a terrible time getting anyone to help me accommodate 12 people. Finally Mihaela offered her help. She was able to get us a couple of rooms at Villa Cavtat (her families business) and the balance elsewhere. Mike offered a airport pick up service for a reasonable price. The rooms were nice and well kept. Breakfast was served on the front balcony, with a beautiful view. I was very pleased with Villa Cavtat and how accommodating the whole family was. I will continue to use them in the future.
Lynda - Ottawa, Canada

• Liked — overall service
  • Disliked — no elevator - typical with this type of accommodation
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Maidstone ,UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

I have stayed here 4 times in the last 5 years and have always enjoyed my stay .The rooms have all been upgraded. The first 2 rooms i stayed in have been turned into a new appt with new furniture and an unusual shape. This time i stayed in the mini appt with double glazing and air con and very good value with a mini kitchen.
The Butler family allways pick me up from the airport and i watch films in english and have use of the internet. Mr Butlers english has improved over 5 years and he is near fluency.
When booking here remember, because it is called villa ,you will not get the facilities of a villa, so it is an unfortunate name which can be misleading. If you want to be picked up by a limo pay a few hundred more euros and stay at hotel Croatia. You get what you pay for .Always read between the lines. The man from Sarajevo who stayed 13 days in his review said this place was terrible .Then why stay so long?
Remember Cavtat like Opatija, Rovinj, Rab and Dubrovnik is an exclusive and relatively expensive place to stay, and be entertained when compared to other resorts .However a stay at this place will not break the bank.

• Liked — The Butlers
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

The owner of the hotel was extremely helpful. Although our plane was two hours late and landed at midnight, he waited to pick us up and transfer us at no extra cost. The room and en suite bath were basic and functional, exactly as we had expected considering the unusually low price. The owner was so friendly, obviously enjoying his morning conversations with us, advising us of where to go and how to get there, allowing us to use his office computer rather than go to an internet cafe, and even driving us to Dubrovnik (at no charge) when we left, in order for us to make a bus connection there. Breakfasts were served at our convenience on the terrace where we could enjoy the wonderful view, and we could linger as long as we wished. Overall, the level of hospitality enhanced our stay in this pretty little town.

• Liked — friendliness and helpfulness
  • Disliked — sound of planes
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

This was a great place to stay in Cavtat. The owners were very friendly and helpful for all my tourist info needs, both for Cavtat and Dubrovnik. It's a fairly basic place to sleep and have breakfast. But at breakfast on the patio, there's a great view of the Adriatic. It's only a 5-minute walk to the central (only?) intersection in town.

I was a little concerned by the 2 bad reviews here, but there were enough other reviews on other sites that gave better ratings for me to give it a try. The following are in response to those negative comments:
Since I was staying for 3 nights, the owner offered to pick me up and deliver me back to to the airport (a taxi would have cost US$20 each way). Both times we went in a new SUV. It's true the owner is not fluent in English, but he is friendly and outgoing, and we were able to make small talk during our rides and several times during my stay.
The furniture was not brand new, but it was far from worn. The bed linen was new, and the bed itself was comfortable. The room and bathroom were very clean.
My room did not have air conditioning, but leaving the door cracked for a few minutes to let the evening breeze blow through cooled it enough to be able to get a good night's sleep.
I stayed on the ground floor and didn't notice anything unusual about the ceiling height. I'm 6' (1.83m) tall, so if they were less than 7 or 8', I'd have noticed.

If it matters to you, then please take note that there's a difference between a "private bath" on the hall that only you have access to and an "en suite" bath through a door in your room.
All in all, the price was more than reasonable, and it was a good value.
I would definitely stay here again if I'm ever lucky enough to be back.

• Liked — friendly owners & free transportation to/from airport
  • Disliked — my room wasn't air conditioned, and the bath wasn't en suite. (not that these were really missed)
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Detroit
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2006

Terrible choice!!!!!
Villa Cavtat is everything else but Villa. Small rooms, old furniture and on the top of everything primitive owner Mijo Budijer. Two years ago I planed to spend 14 days at his pansion but on the thirteenth day of my stay, he told me that he’s got a new group of tourist who plan to stay for the next two weeks at his place so he needs to free the room he rented me. He figured it shouldn’t be the problem (?), because I would anyway leave tomorrow. One day more or less, why should I care!!!
I couldn’t believe what I was told because I paid in advance for 14 days and on the thirteenth he wants to kick me out. Well, he was nice enough to offer me money back, but only for the last day. When I complained he said that I got to understand because that’s the way he makes living.
Don’t go there……..

• Stayed August 2004

Been to Villa Cavtat? Share your experiences!