“beautiful cavtat” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Cavtat
bournemouth
“beautiful cavtat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

have just returned from this fabulous place. The hotel is not the prettiest from the outside but more than makes up for it around the pool, the terraces and fabulous views.
we requested a sea view and certainly got it. I have never had a hotel that felt so close to the sea whilst sitting on the balcony and the views were far reaching out to sea with the various islands in the background. Tip-ask for one of the top floor rooms to appreciate the view.
We paid for half board and cannot complain about the food. There is a good choice and efficient friendly service. The terrace for dinner and breakfast have beutiful views of the harbour and sea. We also chose to eat out in the lovely harbour restaurants every few days which |I would recommend for a nice change and they are not particularly expensive.
The pool area was clean and poolside waiters helpful and friendly. Lovely sunbeds with thick mattresses and at always available. Not many towels at dawn noticed.
There was a very profficient pianist every night but it would have been nice to have had some local entertainment or differing entertainment occasionally for a change. The atmosphere was a little dull after dinner and we preferred to walk down to town.
All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel for its lovely views,efficient friendly staff and would recommend Cavtat if you are looking for a beautiful relaxing experience

Room Tip: rooms on top floors are best for great sea view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
HotelCroatia, Manager at Hotel Croatia Cavtat, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Guest,
Yes, Cavtat is definitely the other jewel of the Adriatic sea!!! I appreciate the fact that you truly enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that will join the large group of repeat guests coming year after year in our hotel.
I can see that both, service and food were up to the standards you were expecting as well as our hotel facilities.
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on the Web.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

This is a gorgeous hotel with excellent facilities. It's set beautifully amongst pine trees on the bay of Cavtat.
The room was a good size, with a double bed, a desk, armchair, and still plenty of space to move around. I loved the design of the bathroom and it was spotlessly clean, as was everywhere else in the hotel.
The pool is just awesome and there seemed to be plenty of sun beds around.
The breakfast buffet was one of the best I've ever experienced, sit outside and you get a lovely view of the sea and the town as well.
I'd love to go back!

Room Tip: If you've booked a sea view room make sure you are on one of the higher floors.
Dear Guest,
We are so pleased to see that you had wonderful memories of you stay with us and that you really enjoyed the quality of our food and services.
It is definitely rewarding for all our team to read comments like yours and this will encourage us to continue working on the same direction for your best satisfaction.
Canada & Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We had a perfect week on the “Dubrovnik Riviera” staying at the Hotel Crotia in Cavtat May 31 to June 6. It was heaven thanks to the beautiful views, kind people, superior accommodation, excellent caring and friendly service, and the fact that my wife and I got lucky by staying in Cavtat and not Dubrovnik!

Regretfully TripAdvisor has no facility to comment on locations per se – so I'll do it here. Please also note my reviews on three of the restaurants in Cavtat to see my specific comments on walking the gauntlet of restaurants along the water and the food – you may find them of interest and giving a unique perspective. I have also reviewed a Bus Tour Operator from Dubrovnik, Adriatic Explore, who was excellent.

We came on a package made up of the flights and hotel (B&B). We originally wanted a hotel in Dubrovnik but due to the late date of our booking it was not available. Finally the Hotel Croatia was offered – after checking TripAdvisor we decided to take it, even though it was 15 km from Dubrovnik. Why it was lucky that we were in Cavtat is that Dubrovnik itself is a busy tourist town full of hotels, and that also, daily, even though the season had just started, over 6000 show up on massive cruise ships. This makes the Old Town like Oxford Street before Christmas – solid people and not very nice for one on vacation. Speaking to the locals (staff at hotel, taxi drivers, etc.) they too are not impressed by the crowds from the ships as they have found that this type of visitor spends little locally. We went into Dubrovnik to explore and tour twice during our week and it was interesting, but after a few hours we were glad to be on either the bus or the boat back to Cavtat! By the way – take the boat at least once – it's double the price of the bus but neat!

Now finally a few specific comments about the hotel. It is a five star and deservedly, so rather than repeat the more detailed comments of my fellow reviewers – for instance I agree that the bathtub sides are too high and difficult for some and that the WiFi in the room was intermittent – let me dwell on two specific points that made the hotel so heavenly, the view and the staff.

The public areas of the hotel including the pool bar and restaurant, the lobby bar, and the breakfast/buffet room all look over the inlet to the town of Cavtat – attached is a photo I took – stupendous! Most of the rooms are “Sea View” on the other side of the hotel from the public areas. The unbelievable shades of blue of the Adriatic, the rocky cliff and the offshore islands make a view from which one never tires. We loved sitting on the balcony and also, at night sleeping with the balcony door open listening to the sea far below. Also attached are two photos showing what I mean.

HOWEVER, the number one highlight of the Hotel Croatia and Cavtat in general were the staff. SRDAN checked us in and was extremely helpful. We arrived extremely early due to our charter flight being overnight. He made sure that we got a room as quickly as possible given our requests (sea view, high, quiet and a “true” double bed, not two twins pushed together – I hate the crack!). He could have given us a room that fulfilled all but the last request at 8 AM, but when I was adamant he immediately assured me he'd find a room for us although it may take some time. So we left our bags and explored Cavtat then returned and sat in the bar to which he came running to tell us when the room was ready. Yes, there are a lot of good people who work at Check In Desks who would have done the same thing – but Srdan was so honestly and openly friendly.

The second staff member to mention, and someone who really became a friend while we were there was the young lady working the concierge desk, arranging bus tours – ANA ZVRKO. Not only was she helpful in our choosing and arranging our tours, but she was there every morning and evening with a smile, giving us suggestions of where to eat (from a local perspective), what to see and do, and giving us a feel of what it is like to live in Cavtat. She even laughed at my jokes! We hope to keep in touch with Ana and see how she goes through life from success to success.

I must also mention the on-duty manageress who was everywhere. She came around in the morning to say hi while we were in breakfast. She was in the lobby, both behind the desk or circulating around greeting everyone, and she made us really feel special by coming out to join us when she noticed we were waiting for the taxi to come to take us to the airport. I even got a hug! My only regret is not noting down her name!

I know that this review is long – but I hope it is helpful. One last thing is the friendliness of the people in Cavtat. As mentioned there are multiple restaurants next to each other along the water. Each one has a “representative” outside to invite you in, however they only approach you if you linger. Not only that, but when you say “not now thanks” or some other platitude, they are gracious. Even if you say you have eaten or on your way to another restaurant instead, they accept it and wish you a good appetite. Nice people!

Room Tip: If you are a "loving couple" make sure you get a double bed and not two twins pushed toget...
Dear Guest,
It was with great pleasure that I read your comments on Trip Advisor.
You are definitely right when talking about the friendliness of our staff. Croatian people are very welcoming and we put a lot of emphasis on the staff attitude. For us, attitude is what will make the difference during your stay with us and I am pleased to see that you truly enjoyed all the facilities of our establishment.
Thank you again for your valuable comments
mansfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Booked with Travel Republic at cost of £103 per night for a park view room. Due to celebrating my birthday was upgraded free of charge to 6th floor sea view room. Rooms very good, nice flat screen TV, large electronic safe, good wardrobe/drawer space, plugs are 2-pin, round ones, large bathroom with bath, power shower and hand shower, hairdryer, wall mounted magnifying shaving mirror with built in light & selection of toiletries. 2 swimming pools outside (one for kids) depth 1.8m and not heated (very cold). Indoor seawater pool slightly heated. Buffet breakfast with lots of choices. Didn't eat at hotel in the evening as lots of places to go to down in the harbour areas, after negotiating 128 steps down from hotel. There is also a road avoiding the steps. We used the courtesy buggy to get back up at night. There is also a hotel Merc when the buggy breaks down. There is an Otpbanka in the harbour area which gave us 9.146 kuna to the £ (hotel is very reasonable though and nearly matches it). Drink prices are a little on the expensive side in the hotel, I had a draught beer which was almost £10, coke is £2. Hotel very close to airport - I had private transfers £32 return (through Travel Republic) but it is100 kuna one way in a taxi.

Room Tip: try to book a seaview high floor
Dear Guest,
It is with a great pleasure that I have been reading your comments on Trip Advisor web page.
I am pleased that you enjoyed all hotel facilities. There is nothing more rewarding than to see a guest living our property with such good memories of his stay.
We hope to see you back soon in Dubrovnik
cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

we have just returned from this lovely hotel, my wife is a coeliac ( gluren free ) and no trouble with the meals, they even supplied her with gluten free bread each day which not many hotels in our experiace bother to do. Our room was on the 5th floor with sea view, clean and bright i could'nt see any mould in the bathoom. Service in the restaurant was very good (Lydia and Edquard) lookrd after us.The pools were lovely we did'nt have any trouble getting beds.
The General Manager was on the floor each day to speak to the guests , thats the time to
bring up any complaints noy when you get home.
Thankyou for a wonderful holiday, we will be back again

Room Tip: we were on the 5th floor 505 sea view it was worth paying the extra.
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your last holidays in our property.
I can see that you enjoyed all our facilities as well as the quality of the food and the friendliness of our staff.
Your comments are valuable and will definitely help us in improving our services in all senses.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We have just returned having enjoyed our week at the Croatia Hotel. We arrived at approximately 10.30a.m. and our room was ready. It only takes about 15 minutes to get to the hotel from the airport.

Public areas are spacious, modern and kept clean at all times. The official holiday season had not started when we were there so the only entertainment at night was a pianist so can’t comment on in season entertainment.

Large indoor pool and nice outdoor pool both very clean. Plenty of sun beds and shaded areas, two table tennis tables in the grounds which would probably be better situated in the hotel with a selection of board games, cards etc. for rainy days. There are two playing areas one inside and one outside for children.

Food was adequate but not quite 5* we have had better at 4* hotels. If you want an ice cream with your evening meal you will need to ask your waitress/waiter. Waiters/waitresses very attentive and quick to take your crockery away. Hotel Manager circulated around the tables at night having a quick chat with most guests which was a first for us and goes to show how management want you to enjoy your holiday.

As other reviewers have stated the hotel is reached by lots of steps from the town but they do help to keep you fit and if you need the golf buggy to get you back up to the hotel take your mobile phone with you and the staff will pop down and pick you up.

Modern, clean rooms with very comfy beds, flat screen television, good size balcony with nice chairs and cushions. Very nice bathroom with excellent fittings etc.

Please be aware that if you are in room R15 the safe is not attached to the wall and can be removed with ease. We got in touch with reception about this problem and the young man laughed, seeming to find it quite funny that our credit cards, passports etc. could easily be stolen and said all the safes were the same, which was not the case as we asked other guests. What is the point in having a safe if it can be removed, my husband wanted to leave the safe on the bed to prove a point but I would not let him. This room also has an interconnecting door to the next room and on at least three occasions we were woken up, early, by different guests talking loudly. We were so annoyed one morning we knocked on the door and they did lower their voices, these guests were not English.

Very friendly locals, if you are eating out the waiters approach if you look at the menus, but don’t hassle you. Dubrovnik is approximately 45 minutes away by either water taxi or local bus, we used both and would used either again. Cavtat (pronounced Savtat) is a lovely quiet/peaceful small town with lots of places to eat/drink and the ice creams are not bad either. If you like vanilla slices try the local bakery on the corner, they are delicious and if you eat one all to yourself you must be hungry! The sea around the town is really clear and clean but there are no sandy beaches, we were told that this is the case in most of Croatia.

If you are thinking of getting married in Croatia have a look at The Spinnacker (I think that was the name) Restaurant which is situated below the main hotel next to the water - lovely setting and all new tables, chairs and sun loungers.

A word of warning, we returned home on a Sunday and the airport was very busy, it took ages to get through check-in, security and passport control so allow a bit of extra time.

We would return to the hotel but not for a few years as we have other places to visit where we have not been yet.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room on a higher floor.
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor web page.
I am glad to see that overall you spend enjoyable holidays in our establishment.
We hope to see you back soon in our property and thank you again for sending us your valuable comments which are always shared with our employees.
Pool in Wharfedale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from this hotel.We visited Dubrovnik and Split,last year, as part of a cruise, and wanted to return to the area.As the flights from our local airport only go to Dubrovnik, we investigated via Trip Advisor, and other sources, the best place to stay. Cavtat, seemed to fit the bill, as it appeared to be reasonably quiet, and not too far from the airport.We made our choice of the Hotel Croatia, as the vast majority of reviews were favourable.We were not disappointed.
Taxi from airport,is fixed at 15 euros.Distance about 6k.
As our flight was due to arrive,before noon, we e-mailed the hotel, asking if an early check-in was possible, and requested a room on a high floor.The reply was understandable, " we will try,but cannot promise ". However, when we arrived,well before 12 o'clock, our room, on the ninth floor was indeed ready for us.Thank you to Marija for her help.
We had chosen a " tree view " room, as opposed to a " sea view " , as there was quite a difference in the cost. Also we felt, if the weather was very hot, we might prefer to sit on a balcony late afternoon, out of the sun. The sea view rooms do tend to have unbroken sight of the sea and islands, whereas ours, did have a lot of trees in front. However, we were able to see the village, and parts of the bay. The sun was on the balcony, first thing in the morning, and very late in the afternoon. This will obviously be less early and late in the season.
The room, had plenty of storage space, although we were pleased we did bring extra hangers with us.Very clean and tidy, but with a carpeted floor, it is difficult to not to have a few stains,albeit nothing nasty! The bathroom,spacious and light, with an excellent powerful shower system, over the bath. The bath itself, is quite a high sided one, which may be difficult for some people to get in and out.Apart from that, no problems.Air conditioning in the room, seems to be set,even if the controls are adjusted, remains at the same temperature. Definitely cool, but would have liked a little cooler some nights. We tended to use the a/c, as our room was almost overlooking the entrance, which was quite busy,and noisy with coaches etc.
We stayed on a half board basis.One has to accept, that this is Croatia, and as such, the food will be a little different to other countries. Having said that, breakfasts were usual,ie. fruit juice( a little watery for our liking), fruit,cereal,cheese,meats,bacon,sausage,eggs and numerous other hot and cold foods.Omlettes cooked to order. ( I did miss HP sauce with my bacon! )
Evening meals, two soups, salads, and a variety of main meals. As with all buffets,apart from the soups, which were very hot, the food is generally warm. This is not a criticism of this hotel, it is just difficult to keep food hot, with this type of dining.There was always a good choice of food, and more than enough, to ensure you left full.
There are two large pools,one indoor, one outdoor, and a childrens pool, all saltwater. Unfortunately, there are still the people,who have to be up in the middle of the night, to put towels on the beds,This varied from day to day, as to the number. There are plenty of beds, not all in the sun. The hotel, also has an area,at the waters edge, with sunbeds,umbrellas,restaurant, and steps into the sea.
The position of the hotel, on a hill,involves a walk either down a steep hill or steps, and the same on the return.There are a couple of ' buggies ', available to take you down to the flat area, and to bring you back. The only problem, for the return journey, is that there is no means of contacting the hotel,where the buggy turns round, other than by using a mobile phone.Croatia, is not in the EU, and as such, phone calls and text messages are not cheap.
The hotel itself is very big,and spacious,and pleasantly decorated.The views are spectacular, whichever way you look.
The staff are excellent. The restaurant always has plenty of people, clearing tables, helping you in any way they can. On a morning, Melina, ensured that my wife always had a flask of hot water for her tea, even without having to ask her. In one sense, it is unfair, just to mention her, as they are all pleasant, efficient and polite. Their english is excellent.
Obviously, this is a 5 star hotel, and you have to expect to pay more for the water and alcoholic drinks.The house wine on an evening,was 110 kuna for white, and 120kuna for red. ( approx 9.1 to £, 7.5 to euro ) There are no ice machines, but the staff at the bars are happy to provde you with a plastic beaker full.
Pool towels are available from the spa.
We would just mention, that because of the position, it may be difficult for either the infirm, or parents with pushchairs,prams etc, as the hills to the hotel are quite steep.
Having said all that, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and would have no hesitation in returning to this great hotel. We wanted to do a bit more sightseeing, whilst we were there, but failed miserably, so hopefully, on our next visit, we will see a bit more of this beautiful country.
Cavtat ( pronounced, ' savtat ' ), is a very pretty village. Numerous restaurants and bars. One supermarket, which does not accept euros, but does accept credit cards. Majority, but not all places, do accept euros, but the change may be given in Kuna. If paying in euro, the total is tended to be rounded up. Bus to Dubrovnik is 20 kuna single, whereas the boat is 50 kuna one way, or 80 return. Tourist information office is near bus station.

Room Tip: All non sea rooms,will be tree view rooms.The higher the room, I would imagine the better chance of...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Croatia Cavtat? Share your experiences!