“Excellent food !” 5 of 5 stars

Uskoplje bb, Cavtat 20210, Croatia   |
Ranked #4 of 23 Cavtat B&B and Inns
“Excellent food !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

Unfortunately, we have not stayed in this hotel. Based on the reviews on this site, we have just visited Hotel / Restaurant Major for dinner, after a short visit to Cavtat. Excellent food, great service, extremely friendly personnel. This was the best dinner of our entire stay in Croatia! The Restaurant is located up n the mountains, but they provide a free transfer from Cavtat. An absolute must if you visit Dubrovnik and surroundings !

• Stayed July 2011

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

After a trip with visits to vineyards and excellent sailing in the Adriatic, I was looking for a hotel near the airport in Dubrovnik. Because of early departure the morning after, I chose the one closest to the airport. Already on order, I felt again this was something different. A very nice and polite Anna told me how much she was looking forward to see me later in the day. But my goal was still just a good night's sleep and transfer to the airport. When I arrived at the hotel I was met outside by a very sweet and nice girl who gave me a handshake and asked if she could carry my heavy sail bag. whow! this bodes very well, I thought. When I was followed up to the room I wondered why I got the best room. But the answer was; "so are all our rooms .." I was very impressed by the size of the room, cleanliness, and especially the terrace under the vines where I could easily invited twelve people to dinner. :-) But dinner was enjoyed at the hotel restaurant with stunning views over the valley and the sea. Even the airport is beautiful in the edge of the horizon of the Adriatic Sea. From my cozy little dining table in the corner I was served a meal that was absolutely outstanding. And with great wines from the hillsides around the hotel served by a professional skilled care.
I decided that this evening, I could not sleep away, so I was sitting with good glasses of wine well into the starlit night.
A pleasant and professional night porter made ​​sure that I was awakened in time and driven safely to the airport.
Sailing in the Adriatic Sea was on my "500 Things To Do Before I Die list ', and when it was checked, there was a new event in the list, going back to the Hotel Major for a longer stay..
Thanks again for your excellent performence.

Best regards

Mr Olav
Norway.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
South Coast, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

We had a meal at Hotel Major last year and it was one of the highlights of our trip to Cavtat so we were keen to return this year. We were not disappointed as the standards of food and service have remained consistent. The restaurant will collect you from your hotel and take you back at the end of the evening at no extra cost. The food is brilliant, a short menu majoring on local produce and is as good as any high end London establishment. The prices are very reasonable and the house wine is good value so we feel that this offers better value than many of the restaurants in Cavtat which can be a bit samey. The surroundings and service are also impecable and the staff make you feel that they really care that you have a good experience there. We will certainly be back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Major for 10 days at the end of May. We chose this hotel based on advice received from the travel agent (Completely Croatia) and the reviews on this site. Upon arrival we were met promptly at the airport by Josip (alias Yo Yo), even though we had landed early he had checked & being so close to the airport was able to ensure we weren't left waiting. Despite being able to see the airport from the hotel there is no aircraft noise.

On the afternoon of our arrival, Anna (Hotel Manager) invited us to join her for coffee whilst she familiarised us with the hotel and surroundings; she then drove us down into the beautiful harbourside town of Cavtat (10 mins away), gave us a quick guide to the area & left us to explore with instructions to ring her cell phone when we were ready to return. At breakfast on our first morning we were greeted by Milan who quickly became familiar with our preferences and each morning tailored our breakfast accordingly, Josip printed out our choice of online newspaper which was ready & waiting each morning. It is little detail like this that make the service at this hotel stand out. Anna & Yo Yo ensured that we were never inconvenienced by the hotel's location and were at our disposal to drive up and down the steep hill to the town whenever we wanted; from there you can get a water taxi to Dubrovnick or any of the surrounding islands. We walked down a few times (took about an hour) but we didn't attempt the walk back up.

The suites are spotlessly clean and mostly spacious (bathroom was a bit of a squeeze) with a separate bedroom and lounge area. What the rooms lack in luxury is more than made up for by the fantastic friendly and personal service.

As we were early in the season the pool wasn't up and running - the weather prior to our arrival hadn't been good enough to prepare the pool. This didn't bother us as we were out exploring all day.

We ate in the hotel restaurant twice during our stay, really good but our budget wouldn't stretch to eating there every night. Fantastic local wines and produce.

This hotel is great for the independent traveller who prefers a small and friendly venue.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Konken
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stayed at the hotel since it was the closest to the Dubrovnik airport and our flight left super early in the morning. We have a 1 year old baby and when we arrived at the hotel it was late and rainy. The hotel staff was amazingly hospitable, coming to the car with an umbrella and helping us lug all our luggage up. The food at the restaurant was surprisingly superb, some of the best we had our entire stay and what you would expect at a 4/5 star hotel! The next morning since it was still dark, they escorted us to the airport (we had a rental car) and when we realized we left the bag with our passports, the gentleman helping us went back to the hotel to find it and we still made it out on time! Would definitely recommend this to anyone, especially families.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is the perfect place to stay if you arrive into DBV late, or depart on an early flight. JoJo the van driver was on time, pleasant, spoke perfect English & was at our disposal! Jojo shuttled us to the sleepy waterfront village of Catvat, five minutes away, and picked us up a few hours later.(In lovely Catvat, we shopped, strolled, ate & went for a swim at one of the numerous small coves... ) Ana and her staff welcomed us warmly when we pulled up, they were most pleasant and helpful. All spoke English beautifully. Our rooms were spacious, comfortable & spotless. Warning- there is no elevator like most small hotels in Europe, but there is plenty of help to carry bags upstairs. And you must eat here! breakfast is included, and dinner is a 5 star experience not to be missed! The owners have a winery, and we had the best bottle of wine I think I have ever tasted. Everything was amazing!

Some may not like the isolation, but there are benefits to the location of Hotel Major being in the quiet countryside. The shuttle van makes it easy to go to the beach in Catvat and airport... both a few minutes drive. The airport transfer was 14 euro one-way, and the Catvat transfer was complimentary. I'd come back to Croatia just to stay here!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

We stayed here last year and the service was so good we came back again. Although it was November and we were the only guests (I think they opened specially for us) we got top class service. All the staff are friendly and welcoming. The suite was spotlessly clean. And the best part – the restaurant is fabulous. The food is magnificent. I was spoiled for choice. It’s worth stopping by here just for the food.

It’s only minutes from Dubrovnik airport on the way into Dubrovnik - but the ‘planes don’t bother you.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Major? Share your experiences!