“Home away from home,” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 677 Hotels in Lijiang
Sydney, Australia
“Home away from home,”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Today marks the anniversary from my trip at Bruce's place, I feel kind of shame to write my review this late, however life have been very busy. My experience at Bruce is beyond excellent.This is my experience. I was greeted by Bruce and Bella when arrived, and was immediately told my room have been upgraded (I booked first night at lower floor as the next day I'm heading to TLG, and then come back for few more nights on the upper floor) that was nice I thought, then I was served with tea and Apple on the balcony watching the Jade Snow Mountain, while waiting for my cousin from HK to join me, which was also took care of by Bruce with pre-arrange taxi.
After I got back from TLG hike, Bruce and Bella arrange Zhao Shi the taxi driver who pick me up from airport have become my daily transporter, a tour guide and we get to become good friends, he have explain the history of the place, the culture, and the people of the place.

I must say big thanks to both Bruce and Bella for their hospitality, during my stay I caught a cold, both Bruce and Bella take good care of me and providing me with medicines.
After my cousin left, Bella invited me to join their annual employee dinner, and I get to know abit of Bella as well, really have a great time learning about the younger Bella's life.
On my last day Bella also cooked chicken bean noodle which is a specialty where most people wouldn't know! most people think about eating Over Bridge noodle, but the real specialty of the local is the chicken bean noodle!

The unique thing about going to Bruce's place compare to other is that you get to meet with other traveller during the morning breakfast where everyone sit and eat together and you can share the knowledge and experience. The food is great, love the soy milk, and the food that Bella's mum sent to her. I met Patrick and his wife whom have been traveling around the world for a year, which we went to LiJiang old town together via bike riding.

During my stay, I saw Bella stay up late night to look after some family's sick kids, she really treat everyone like her own family and looking after them.

Highly recommend anyone consider staying, and definitely try to get the upper floor with the views! I will definitely going back and stay at Bruce place next time I go,

I think of them everyday, and I miss them everyday since I got back, a thank you is not enough, hopefully if they do come to Australia, I get to treat them back.

Terry

Room Tip: Stay in the upper floor, so you can sit back and relax enjoying your tea/coffee and watch the Jade S...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shenzhen, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at the Chalets and had a great time. My sisters stayed in a double room, big bed and well set out, my wife and I stayed in a snow mountain view room which had a great balcony for us to sit out on. Firstly the setting is beautiful. The Chalets enclose a court yard garden and is (in the distance) over looked by snow mountain.

Bruce and his wife were by far the most helpful and accommodating owners/ hoteliers I have come across while traveling. This was highlighted by coming to meet us when the l taxi driver didn't know where she was going and lending us 20rmb to cover another trip as we had no change. Nothing was too difficult for them.

We arranged a couple of day trips and these were fine ( if you are planning to go up snow mountain do either wrap up very , very well or take advantage of the coats for hire and get there early morning or lunchtime as the tour buses can mean a long wait so avoid them mid morning.) We went on a horse riding trip but decided not to bother in the end as the costs were very high.

We were staying in the beginning of April and it would be fair to say the rooms were chilly, it did make getting out of bed painful in the morning. There are heat lamps in the bathroom which were good and made showering fine. In the beds there were electric blankets so that made the massive bed very cozy and pleasant if not extra hard to get out of.

The chalets are a 10 min walk from Sanhe they are not in lijiang so please don't be fooled. For us it is was perfect, a short stroll from the preferred Sanhe old town .

Breakfast was in the kitchen area and was communally served around one big table. it was plentiful and tasty.

I would definitely stay again and will be recommending to friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
nyc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My family and I just finished our 3 night stay here. We had 2 rooms. One with a dble bed and one with a king bed which was suppose to be mountain view.

I am not sure why this place has such great reviews. I must be missing something. The place is NOT in Shuhe old village but actually about a 10 minute walk from the main gate and 15 minute walk to breakfast alley. If its dark out, there are no street lights and no one on the street knows where this place is if u get lost. We spoke Chinese and no one knew.

The bathrooms have a shower curtain but the water flows out underneath to the entire bathroom floor anyway.

The cleaning staff is not very good as it was very dusty in our rooms and the bathrooms were not clean. The floor had dirty spots behind the door and the shower tiles had mold.

I don't think the heating system works as it kept turning itself off throughout the night.

• Stayed March 2013
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Bruce and his staff were very helpful and offered good advice about the area. Nice rooms, all the comforts, clean, no problems. Excellent breakfast. Great value for money. Met other nice travelers while staying there and enjoyed a drink and a chat in the courtyard. Thank you Bruce!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Guangzhou, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Bruce and Bella and their assistant try to satisfy all their visitors. Their warmth and hospitality made all of us forget how cold the morning was during the Christmas holiday by preparing a huge, delicious, breakfast with local offerings chased with continuous cups of coffee and tea.
On Christmas Eve, they had a bar-b-que with all the guests taking turns cooking the variety of foods, telling stories, laughing, sharing trekking adventures. It was lots of fun.
Bikes can be rented to visit nearby towns and for other areas taxis are reasonable. Bruce arranges everything. He also took the time to point out places of interest, asking me to visit a few spots first so he would know what else to suggest depending on my taste and interest. This was another example of the genuine interest that Bruce and Bella exhibit for their guests.

Room Tip: Choose a second floor room to get the best views of the mountains, simply breathtaking
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Really enjoyed my time here, very relaxed and straightforward. All the staff were super friendly. Wi-fi is good and available throughout.
The water in the shower was generally a little bit too hot - but that's the only downside.
Taxi drivers seem to struggle to find this, so have Bruce arrange the transfer for your checkin - it's the same price as a tack anyway.

• Stayed March 2013
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed three nights in a very nice room with balcony and mountain view for a fair price. It was well furnished and had a very good bathroom. We chose to get at pick up at the train station and they also left us at the airport. Worked just fine. Bruce is a great person and was really helpful in everything, especially for planning our day trips. We rent a bicycle and went to Baisha for a delightful trip. The Chalet is a bit far from Lijiang but the setting of the hotel is beautiful and peaceful.
We totally recommend Bruce Chalet!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to The Bruce Chalet? Share your experiences!