“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Lijiang Ancient Town

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Lijiang Ancient Town to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Lijiang Ancient Town
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   No.276 Xianghe Road, Old Town District, Lijiang 674100, China   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 496 hotels in Lijiang
London
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

All the great reviews about this hotel are true. It is well situated near Lijiang old town, and the bar/restaurants are an excellent place to relax in and enjoy the calm view of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. Fantastic rooms and helpful staff. Only thing that surprised me is when trying to get public transport tickets to Dali or Lijiang the hotel only offered to tell me the direction to the ticket office or call a cab to take me there. As a non-mandarin speaker in China I would have hoped they would have offered to buy them for me - I would have been happy to pay any commission/fee.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CPLijiang A, Executive Assiatant Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Lijiang Ancient Town, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Should you travel back to Lijiang, we would be thrilled to welcome you.

466 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I wrote an adverse review of the Huizhou Intercontinental Hotel subsequent to my family stay last Xmas. Belonging to the same hotel group (Intercontinental Hotel Group), Crowne Plaza in Lijiang was rated No. 2 most favorite hotel in Lijiang, as found from TripAdvisor's Reviews. So, I gave it a go.

Compared to Banyan Tree in Lijiang which I stayed in 2006, Crowne Plaza is comparable though the price is just a fraction of it. Banyan Tree bungalows occupy independent lots with masterbed facing snow-capped Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, and enjoy high privacy. However, the alleys between houses are not as interesting as that of Crowne Plaza in Lijiang, which simulates the meandering stone-paved alleys of the Ancient Town of Lijiang. Pullman Resorts next to Banyan Tree in Lijiang is totally not comparable except its price, as the bungalows do not have the Snow Mountain view, and its alleys between bungalows look too much a copy of that of Banyan Tree.

Of the price I had to pay (RMB1590 for a King-Deluxe room, including 2 breakfasts), which is just half of what I had to pay for Banyan Tree, this is a most value for money deal in my recent travel experience.

All hotel rooms are situated inside village-styled 2-storey houses, amongst a setting of intimately nested street-blocks, lined with trees and shrubs and water in different looks along different routs.

The hotel is quiet and open to the sky, where stars glittering above can be seen nearly every night. However, it is just at the edge of the Ancient Town which can be accessed from the northern gate of the hotel. Extremely convenient for going in and out of the hotel for long strolls in the town. RMB68 afternoon tea (with biscuits and mouthful sandwiches) served everyday at the lounge cafe which overlooks to the snow mountain. Unfortunately, only tea is served, not coffee. How can this happen in a coffee lounge? Room for improvement!

My wife's birthday is celebrated with a complimentary bday cake sent to the hotel after our visit to Jade Snow Mountain in the afternoon. How sweet! Thanks to Crowne Plaza!

The hotel is generally quiet with quite a proportion of westerners. However, the morning breakfast in one morning was just NOISY, with a FuJian young man talking loudly to several girls, showing off his "knowledge". Nobody in the hotel advised him to keep the voice down. We finally gave him a lesson by advising him to lower down his voice in front of his mates. Embarrassing for a guest to advise another guest. Should the hotel attendants do this job to ensure the quality of its ambience? Another room for improvement!

In terms of food. Another excellent Value-for-money deal in this 5-star hotel! Room-serviced noodles are just RMB68. Nice curry dishes are just below RMB100 in very quiet restaurant. Hot-pot with Singaporean pork-rib soup and seafood is just aroung RMB100 per person. Delicious and Economical. Most important of all, it is safer to dine in hotel.

Travelling from hotel to airport is RMB100 and 30minutes each way by taxi. Travelling from hotel to another ancient Town "ShuHe 束河古鎮" is just RMB30 and 15 minutes by taxi.

We joined a "local trip" through the hotel to Jade Snow Mountain and the outdoor show "Lijiang Impression" for RMB690 per person. A bit disappointed that the "guide" was the driver of the van (for 5 persons) who did not introduce the 2 places/events to us. The hotel should find some other tour agents!

Room Tip: Both the upper floor and lower floor of the King Size Deluxe Bedrooms are good.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are very happy to know you love our hotel. I will share your comments with our staff. and we will enhance service in the further time.

Welcome to experience our Tea Tree Spa in your next visit. Should you travel back to Lijiang, we would be thrilled to welcome you.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Back to back with the UNESCO heritage site of the ancient town this hotel is a replica of the old town itself but with modern facilities. Staff were extremely helpful and they upgraded us to a mini suit which was really nice!

Just note that if you take a short cut from back of hotel to the ancient town it can be rather confusing. S go I. Via the main entrance and you will do fine!

Room Tip: Breakfast in hotel is superb!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your stay experience with us. We appreciate receiving the direct feedback and it is always shared with our team.

I also want to take this opportunity to let you know that we will be enhancing service in the further time. We are excited and can’t wait to show it to our guests.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I came to Lijiang with my wife for Easter vacation. I chose this hotel after reviewing the Tripadvisor comments and it's vicinity to the ancient town (adjacent to the south entrance). A warm welcome when we arrived the hotel by taxi. The bell boy was nice and polite. The front staff (a lady) helped me doing the check-in procedures efficiently and cared of my needs. After she knew our intention of joining local tour to the snow mountain, she immediately referred us to the concierge desk, and the staff there quickly accommodated my request. The room was just immediately behind the Main Building (Block 201) and was on 1/F. It was spacious and with nice and cozy decor. Bathroom amenities by Crabtree and Evelyn. Though the hotel only has a lobby lounge, a bar, a Western Restaurant and a Chinese Restaurant, we chose to have all dinners at hotel's Chinese Restaurant as my wife has a sensitive stomach. The foods offered were tasty but choices could be enhanced. Compared to the menu at Chinese Restaurant, the choices of the Western Restaurant was not that satisfactory. The buffet breakfast could do better and have room for improvement. The Health Club has a gymnasium and indoor swimming pool. The staff there was responsive and polite. Throughout the room and inside the Main Building could access the free Wifi. The hotel offered a great view to the snow mountain. Would consider staying there if have chance to go to Lijiang again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CPLijiang A, Executive Assiatant Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Lijiang Ancient Town, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

I also want to take this opportunity to let you know that we will be enhancing F&B in the further time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have visited Beijing, Xian, Chengdu and next Shanghai and all their famous attractions, but before Shanghai we flew to Lijiang in the mountains and found a beautiful old town and a wonderful hotel. The Crowne Plaza is like a 5 star Chinese village. The rooms are enormous, the staff are really friendly, the breakfasts are amazing. We never thought we'd be eating Chinese food for breakfast, though most days we've gone for the full English.
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful with lots of tasteful streams and fountains. There is a beautiful pool, gym ( too lazy to use it) and a spa that we didn't use either.
The rear of the hotel leads directly into the lovely old town which is full of beautiful old inns and authentic Chinese restaurants.
Even if the inevitable excursions eg to tiger leaping valley, are a bit of a disappointment the town itself is such a gem no one should miss Lijiang on a China tour.
If we come back to China again, we will definitely come to Lijiang and definitely the Crowne Plaza.
What an unexpected delight. Thanks!

Room Tip: Any room makes you feel like you are in your own Chinese cottage, not a hotel room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CPLijiang A, Executive Assiatant Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Lijiang Ancient Town, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are very happy to know you love our hotel. I will share your comments with our staff. They will be thrilled to read this.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Excellent location within walking distance of old town, lovely rooms and a garden setting make this a recommendation. Reservation was handled very well without the usual bureaucracy and even check in and out were fast. One point - avoid breakfast - the layout and space is completely inadequate for the number of diners, leading to al-round stress.Papers need to be filled in uselessly for using the pool, business centre etc. Otherwise a little more non-smoking would make it perfect

Room Tip: the standard room is fine
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback from your recent stay at our hotel. All of your comments will be shared with the team and know the staff
Should you travel back to Lijiang, we would be thrilled to welcome you.

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed for four days at this incredible property. There is a surreal feel to this place, like I was being transported to another era. The hotel fits beautifully within the theme of the Ancient Town of Lijiang; the backdrop that is postcard gorgeous. From the lobby you can see the stunning Yulong mountain. I knew right then that staying here would be nothing short of a meditative experience.

I enjoyed a lovely welcome at the front desk and a ride to my villa. The property is immaculately maintained and has a private entrance to a path that leads to the Ancient town. My Deluxe room, as many have described, was a most tastefully designed suite with many little treasures and a most comfortable bed. Warm shower, clean bathtub, study area, with a view to a street with quaint bed n breakfast inns (I wondered often what it would be like to stay in one of those)... I felt like I was in the lap of luxury but not disconnected from my historic surroundings.

The service at the hotel is fantastic - everybody is warm and welcoming. I much enjoyed the eclectic breakfast, where I overate every single time! Some of the staff don't follow English - I had to repeat my made-to-order eggs twice before they got it right, but everybody was polite and courteous. I had lunch too a couple of times, and again was very impressed with both the local and international choices.

I do have a few quibbles:
1. The internet in my building 509 was very sketchy. In fact, I could not get the wireless internet to work at all during my stay and was tethered to the wall. This was very frustrating. Others in my group that were closer to the main lobby did not seem to have this issue.
2. The toilet flush was worn out a bit, which meant that you had to jiggle it to get it to stop draining out. I thought the cleaning person would have caught this problem but they did not.
3. The gym does not open until 7 am. I am not fitness freak but this is late by any luxury hotel standards. The happy outcome though was that I chose to go for a run outside the hotel and it was such an invigorating experience.
4. The heater never worked. It did not ever get really cold but there was a nip to the air one night and I couldn't do anything about it.

Not deal breakers (I dock them a point for the above issues), but a place this good just missed being perfect! Still I would go back here in a heartbeat... I have a sense of longing for beautiful Lijiang and the Crowne Plaza hotel already!

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the main building! I think some have a view of the mountain.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
CPLijiang A, Executive Assiatant Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Lijiang Ancient Town, responded to this review, April 5, 2013

Jason Chen

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Lijiang Ancient Town? Share your experiences!