“Excellent and beautiful place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banyan Tree Lijiang

You added Banyan Tree Lijiang to your Saves list
Banyan Tree Lijiang
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Yuerong Road, Shuhe, Gucheng District, Lijiang 674100, China   |
Ranked #10 of 676 Hotels in Lijiang
4.5 of 5 stars 678 Reviews
Chongqing, China
“Excellent and beautiful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed with family for 3 nights. The hotel is located near by the Su He ancient town, beautiful place to be.
The service at the hotel is very professional and prompt. Still remember the number of staff’s name offering the very good service: Jackson, OJ from the restaurant, Miki from the reception.
Buffet breakfast at the hotel need to be improved with more verity of choices.
The SPA Suite we stay is beautiful. It has a very comfortable king bed and outdoor Jacuzzi bath. we do enjoy our stay throughout our visit and I am very satisfied with the room amenities, very environmental presentation, and high-speed Wi-Fi internet connectivity everywhere in the whole areas.
Overall a very nice time!

Room Tip: Spa suite,Tips for the traveler, better book the limousine service from the hotel cost only 500 Yuan...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
MThomas-AGM, General Manager at Banyan Tree Lijiang, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Harry,
Thank you very much for the time taken and your very encouraging and positive comments. I will share your comments with my associates who will be very grateful that their work has been appreciated.
Comments such as yours are always very encouraging as we know that you have taken time of your busy schedule to give us your very valuable feedback.
WE sincerely hope that you would visit Banyan Tree Lijiang sometime in the future and enjoy our facilities and services once more.
Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hongkong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is my first time to Lijiang, I came with my friend, we were stay in Banyan Tree, it's a magnific place,very beautiful and good enough for the people who love peace and quiet. The view of the mountain, the ancient town, the lake, everywhere is so nice, we had a wonderful time there. The staff are very nice too, they helped us a lot,thank you all...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed for 4D3N under the Romantic Highlands Retreat package at end September to which I paid RMB2300 nett per night for their Garden Suite however this package included one set of dinner, lunch and tea time as well as daily breakfast and round trip airport transfer so it was pretty inclusive. In addition we took a total of three day tours/treks with them. We missed out doing their spa cos they were totally booked in the evenings (do take note to make your spa bookings way earlier).

I would say the location of this resort isn't too bad as it is at least within walking distance to the smaller old town though of cos it is a long way away from the main bigger old town which is the main attraction. However chances are you will be spending your days travelling or touring around so we didn't really find it too big of an issue and they can arrange for taxis to the old town without much hassle.

Even though the my Garden Suite was the most basic of their accommodation options (they refused to give a room upgrade), it was still very pretty and very spacious which is the hallmark of Banyan Tree rooms. Nicely decorated and a very comfortable king sized bed along with a spacious bathroom certainly was a highlight. Everything in the room was really great with the different types of chinese tea a highlight as well. However we felt the bathroom amenities weren't of the highest quality. They were all in-house Banyan Tree products though I do have my reservations about the quality of their bathroom products.

The resort is very big indeed and its a pretty far walk from one end to another though they do have the buggy service if you need. The lovely lake in the middle with the pagoda was really beautiful and made the scenery whilst eating in their restaurants extra special. One big letdown was the breakfast though. It was commonplace and lacked any real quality. The congee and noodle station wasn't too bad though their selection of western and chinese dishes were poor at best. For a hotel of this high stature, they really should look at revamping their breakfast dishes selection.

Whilst this resort might be very beautiful, the pricing isn't particularly cheap especially compared to its nearby competitors so do look through the sites and try to get a discount if you can or a package that's inclusive of meals or tours.

In regards to the tours, it was a very pleasant experience. Obviously they charge much higher for their tours/treks in comparison with taking a service outside though if you do use them, you definitely get a feeling of luxury and being treated as a VIP. Their transportation are top notch and super comfortable especially for long winding trips and we had a tour guide named William who was very friendly and took care of us really well without making us feel uncomfortable. As we took three different travels/tours from them (which is basically everyday) they gave us a small discount in appreciation of that fact.

All in all, it was a lovely experience in a good hotel in an absolutely gorgeous location with breath taking scenery all around. Whilst I don't think I will return to this part of China anytime soon, I will not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone looking for a luxurious holiday.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael T, General Manager at Banyan Tree Lijiang, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear NaysarnM,

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We enjoyed the serene environment and the courteous service provided by the staff. We also enjoyed visits to the two old towns nearby (Da Yan and Shu He), strolling down the alleys where there was always something new to be discovered. Overall, it was a relaxing experience away from our busy schedule.

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Dear guest,

We sincerely hope that you would visit Banyan Tree Lijiang sometime in the future and enjoy our facilities and services once more.
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed 3 nights here and couldn't have been happier. Our suite was gorgeous, the site is spectacular, the grounds are beautiful and the food is exceptional. Staff was capable and accommodating and the place ran like clockwork. Even the bar was wonderful :-) A bit off the beaten track but that's not a bad thing when there's a magnificent view of the mountains and peace and quiet away from the fray. Highly recommended!

Dear Charleston,
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was the first stay for us three travellers who had prepaid two rooms at the Banyan Tree hotel Lijiang - it will certainly be our last stay at any Banyan Tree hotel.

First, the ripoff on accommodation. We had prepaid for a 'superior suite king' room. On arriving at the accommodation I found that it was accessible only by a steep flight of stairs. As I have a walking disability I could not use this room. Our party went back to reception and explained the problem and asked for alternative accommodation. We were told that the only alternative was a 'deluxe pool villa' which would cost us an additional AUS$313 per night!!!. We were also advised that this would be the same situation for the next night. As it was now near 6pm, looking for alternative accommodation was not an option also our accommodation was already pre-paid.

The next ripoff was when we went to the bar to recover from the shock of our additional $313 per night charge. After a round of G&T we were told that the drinks were complimentary. Some small compensation we assumed. However the next night when we went to the bar we were presented with a bill for our 'complimentary' drinks!! Come on!!

Next problem was when we had to take a 'trolly' to reach our villa - it was well beyond our walking capability. Every time we left or returned to our villa we had a 5 minute or more wait for transportation.

Next issue was on arrival at our villa. The coffee machine was not working nor was the refrigerator. The villa had obviously not been checked before our arrival.

Next problem was the lack of milk to make our coffee. Call to room service and milk arrives with a bill for AUS$7.00. Come on - after paying almost AUS$1,000 per night for a villa and they do not supply milk with the coffee machine.

As you would expect we were now totally pissed off the ripoffs and lack of any hospitality offered by Banyan Tree Lijiang. The outcome is that us four highly experienced world travelers will never again use the Banyan Tree chain.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
MThomas-AGM, General Manager at Banyan Tree Lijiang, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Aussitraveladviser,
We read your comments with regret. While thanking you for the time taken to make your comments please allow us to share certain facts relating to your stay.
The original booking was made through Kunming Comfort Travel and unfortunately, we had no information about your disability or any special requests. The period you stayed was a very busy period therefore, frankly, we could not find you another solution, other than offering you a two bedroom Jet Pool Villa. Once you agreed on our rate, we made arrangements to change the type of accommodation for you from the originally booked Superior Suite to the Two Bedroom Jet Pool with your fullest consent.
On your first night at the Resort, our staff at the Bar did offer you a round of drinks which we did not charge for and this was done, with good will to make your stay comfortable. We did not charge for the drinks for the first night and only when you came to the bar, for the drinks for the second night only.
On the second night, when you were charged for that night’s drinks, our Assistant Food and Beverage Manager, who was called to handle your dissatisfaction on being charged, decided to make amends and arranged a complimentary bottle of wine which was served during your dinner. This was done, again, with the best of intentions of ensuring that your stay was enjoyable.
The Assistant Food and Beverage Manager was at the restaurant to ensure that the dinner was to your fullest satisfaction and he did not receive any information from you that your Coffee Machine or the Mini Bar were not working. It is possible that from time to time certain equipment malfunction but our team attend to such incidents when and if such situations occur, promptly.
As for the Trollies that you mention, the Resort provides a Buggy Service and we do agree that it takes approximately 5 minutes for us to pick up guests. Having stayed at the Resort you would appreciate that from the time a call is placed to order a Buggy, it does take that amount of time due to the extensive landscaping and space.
Our Assistant Food and Beverage Manager was assigned to take care of your needs and while you were checking out, when he knew that you were going to Chongqing, he made calls to the hotel that you were staying, even though it was not part of our group, to request them to take care of you as special guests from us.
It is disappointing that we have not been successful in satisfying you in spite of whatever efforts that we had made.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

As a banyan tree hotel fan, I had to choose this hotel as I wouldn't get the same satisfaction anywhere else. I'll miss the food, the hospitality, the location and of course the stunning rooms and hotel design. Banyan tree has always taken me back to zen which I love as I live in a fast paced city and I just want to be as close to nature and serenity as I possibly can whenever i take a break. Banyan tree lijiang you don't disappoint!

One thing I can say however, a little constructive criticism, is that we opted for a standard room this time due to budget constraints and our the main door was directly adjacent to our neighbors. This became a hassle every morning as we usually go for breakfast at 9:30 whereas our early bird neighbors go at 7:30. One word of caution, mainland Chinese people scream at the top of their lungs whenever they speak and have a habit of slamming doors several times before they leave their room. This got irritating every morning as we had to get up at 7:30 and stay up for about a half hour until our rowdy neighbors decided it was ok to leave their room finally. So a word of advice, if you are going to stay in a standard villa, opt of one who's door is far away from your neighbors. If I knew, I may have just forked out an extra 1000 yuan for an upgraded suite.

But all in all a fantastic hotel, including the food! ( I have seen may reviews here saying the food is not so good) but perhaps it's the Chinese dishes that's not to everyone's palette. But even their western food, which we tried too, was amazing. (Specifically their salmon risotto).

Well done Banyan tree. We will be seeing you again real soon!

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Dear Charleston,
Michael

Been to Banyan Tree Lijiang? Share your experiences!