“Don't miss this when visiting Dali.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 10 Activities in Dali
5.0 of 5 stars 95 Reviews
Type: Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: Rice & Friends Chinese cooking school offers hands-on Chinese cooking courses with English instruction in a beautiful open-air setup with mountain views. It is a very authentic and personal 5-hour cooking experience, including outdoor-market shopping for ingredients, introduction to the theory of Chinese cooking, hands-on preparation of 3 dishes with a recipe booklet to take away and plenty of time for everybody to sit down together and enjoy the meal they cooked themselves. The receipes has been tested overseas and specially designed in order to make sure you can still get all the ingredients for those dishes when you are back home.
Boston, MA
“Don't miss this when visiting Dali.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

My partner and I took the cooking class and it was a great experience beyond anything we imagined. Luxi took us to the market first thing to shop for ingredients for the class. At the market, she pointed out the various ingredients used in traditional Chinese cooking and those that are unique to the local people. We stopped to ask about a number of different type foods we had never seen and she explained each one and what it is used for. She also gave us an overview of the regional differences in food in China,

Afterward we returned to the school, cooked and ate 3 different dishes. Luxi took great care to explain the importance of how at what to cook at different temperatures, the layers of ingredients and techniques to make sure the food is not overcooked and retains all its flavors.

But the best part was the experience of sharing the meal together. Sharing meals is the central social experience in Chinese culture and we had wonderful conversation not only about cooking and culture, but about China, its people, some of the challenges people face in the day-to-day life and well as the richness of the culture. Luxi also took a personal interest in us, wanting to know about our culture, the food, our experiences, and travels. We learned so much from her and hopefully gave something back.

You can tell that this is her passion. She genuinely loves getting to know people, learn about them and to provide insights into China you won't get from a book or even a tour. I learned so much. This type experience is why I love to travel.

Thank you Luxi for one of the highlights of our time in China.

Visited June 2012

Adelaide South Australia
“A Dali highlight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Collected at our guesthouse by Luxi bearing 3 small baskets for us to take to the market to buy our fresh ingredients. We had lots of questions for Luxi on our way to cooking class re food, markets, and Dali which she very patiently answered. Luxi is very professional and her cooking school is charming, well setup with individual cooking stations and a dining area to relax and taste our dishes. We were shown how to cook 3 different dishes and all tasted wonderful. We had a great 4/5 hours. We learnt a lot and laughed a lot! I thought the fee was very reasonable.I definitely recommend Rice and Friends

Visited May 2012
Dali, China
“Highlight of China! Must do in DaLi!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Spent today with Luxi cooking! Fantastic day! Started with her coming to meet us and taking us to the local market in DaLi. Luxi explained all about the different types of fesh ingredients and it was a real experience to go the market and see how the locals live!

We then went to Luxi's cooking school where we were set up with individual stations. We were taught about the staple Chinese cooking ingredients and got to know Luxi's and how she came to teach at rich and friends!

We were taught how to prepare 3 delicious Chinese dishes! We were able to sample Luxi's first which she prepared and cooked in front of us and then create our own and compare ours to hers.

Luxi's was welcoming and friendly. This was the best experience we have had in our 1 month stay in china so far and would highly recommend this as not only a must for DaLi, but China too! Thank you Luxi's for going the extra mile and making this a brilliant day!!

Visited June 2012
“More than just a cooking class... A culinary and cultural education!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I live in Dali, and have been meaning to attend Luxi's Rice & Friends for a long while now. My brother visited me and provided the perfect excuse to partake. I was not disappointed at all!!!

Luxi provides a very comfortable and enticing environment. This along with her great attention to detail and insights into the food, customs and local people made for a very rewarding experience. It's like having a personal food and culture guide for the afternoon... As you may or may not know, food is at the very core of Chinese culture, so gaining an experienced perspective will enhance any stay in China.

I can now tell my family and friends that "yes, I actually can cook Chinese food!" With shocked silence I am sure to be greeted... but hey, it's moments like these that make life wonderful right?

Thanks Luxi... you have added some Kung Pao to my life!!

Visited May 2012
Quebec City, Canada
“Amazing experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I had the chance to take part in a class last April and it was definetly one of the highlights of my trip to China. The wonderful sweet and cheerful owner, Luxi, met us at the Bad Monkey bar right on time and took us to the market for a shopping trip already worthy of her small fee for the class! We sampled the food and got a better understanding of all the products she would soon use in our recipes. Then, we walked together to her courtyard where we were set-up with our own working station for the course. We were literally treated like royalty as she explained the different available products in our home country to reproduce the recipe we would soon make together.I enjoyed this experience with my mother and it was a great bonding moment, under the Dali sunshine. With the help of her sous-chef, we settled at our respective stations and made a delicious three course meal worthy of the best chinese restaurant. And please believe me that this was INCREDIBLE as I had already lived fo a year in China without having this much pleasure cooking and enjoying chinese cuisine. We left with an incredibly full belly, a sweet cook book (which i have used multiple times at home already), and an unforgiveable experience. You shouldn't think twice about booking this class, it's an experience of a life-time! Thank you so much for the greatest time and please take part in this delicous adventure! Cheers!

Visited April 2012