Let me start off by saying I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here - I was a little reluctant having done my 'homework' and having read several negative comments on Tripadvisor about the Sheraton Jiuzhaigou. However, the comments about pretty much every other hotel seemed even worse so I decided to take my chances and book the Sheraton.
What a pleasant surprise. Before my arrival Joy Zhang quickly responded to my emails and kindly arranged my airport pickup. I speak some Chinese but cannot read/write characters so appreciated her email in fluent English. I had booked a 'Deluxe' room and had specifically requested a room in East Wing, based on recommendations here on Tripadvisor. Note: this was a good tip as the west wing is in fact a seperate building. Probably not the end of the world, but easier to stay in the East Wing where the reception, restaurants, gym etc are located.
My room looked fairly new so it looks they have a mix of older and newer - refurbished - rooms in this Sheraton which may explain the mixed reviews. Book a Deluxe Room in the East Wing and you'll be fine. I think these used to be the Club Rooms before they closed the Executive Lounge as this was - albeit closed - on the same floor as my room.
Positives about the hotel:
- Very friendly staff, level of English was mixed but combining my basic Chinese and their basic English (and in a few cases good English) things worked out very well. I think if you don't speak any Chinese people may struggle a little (not only here but in Jiuzhaigou as a whole), but I think they always had at least someone available who could speak some English.
- Their Sichuan restaurant is excellent, don't bother with their western buffet - the Chinese restaurant is far far better. Although not that cheap (main dishes from around 70 to 200 RMB) it is not THAT much more expensive than the local food joints. This says more about Jiuzhaigou as a whole, the whole place is geared up to help you spend your money as quickly as possible (ATMs are everywhere across the village). However, the Sheraton is not particulary expensive when it comes to it's Sichuan restaurant and the quality is good.
- The room was very nice - comfortable bed, nice bathroom. No sign of the mold described in other reviews, so again looked like it was a newer room. Heating was fine, cooling was not. Not a major problem for me as it was cold outside and I'm tall enough to open the two small windows, many people will have trouble getting to the windows without standing on a chair though. Don't expect rooms with a really nice 'view', I don't think there are any - don't worry though, when you get to the park itself you'll have plenty of nice things to see.
- Location: very good, around 15 minutes walk to the entrance of Jiuzhaigou National Park (leave the hotel, turn left and keep walking) or 2 mins by taxi (10 RMB). Behind the hotel are a few small streets with shops, small supermarkets (if you want to buy water etc) and right between the hotel and the small river is Bian Bian Jie which is Jiuzhaigou's restaurant alley. Probably because of the time of the year it looked pretty deserted but I can imagine that in high season and warmer weather it looks nice with people having dinner outside.
- Probably my biggest surprise was the extortionate price of hiring a car via the hotel. A day trip to Huanglong NP (definitely worth it by the way, see my seperate review!) would cost 2,600 RMB when booking the hotel car, whereas the local taxi price was 600 RMB. Of course getting a nice Buick comes a premium but not more than 4 times that of a taxi. Crazy. However, they helped me book a local taxi, 8am departure, return at 6pm, 600 RMB in total.
- My only other gripe would be the 'buffet breakfast' which was absolutely poor quality - not only the Western food was poor quality (poor selection, low quality), also the Asian food looked unappealing, cold and - for example in case of the noodles - drowned in oil. They charged 180 RMB for this, this is something they have to improve, not up to right standard.
- Internet availability is poor - it was hardly working in my room (LAN cable only, no wireless) and you have some, albeit slow, wireless connectivity in the lobby but it doesn't extend to the restaurants and it hardly reaches the bar. In this day and age this is something that can be resolved so quickly and is expected from hotels at this price level, please install some proper wireless APs throughout the main areas (covering the bar and restaurants as well) and in each room.
Overall: would highly recommend the Sheraton. Appreciate other reviewers may have booked different room types so can only comment on Deluxe Rooms in the East Wing and my overall experience. Staff members have been very friendly and Jiuzhaigou was beautiful.
Ask for a Deluxe Room in the East Wing. They seem to be relatively newly refurbished and are in the...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Dear guest, thank you very much for your precious comments and feedback. We have shared your review in our hotel management team. We really appreciated that you took the time to write the comments, as we can learn what’s our shortage, and improve our service and products.
Report response as inappropriate
Regarding the guest rooms, all of our West wing rooms are Deluxe category and above, which is higher category than East wing rooms(Superior rooms). Thus, there may some difference for the facilities and decoration. For the car rental price and breakfast buffet feedback, we will pass to our related management team, and will start to improve it as soon as possible.
For your info, we are going to renovating the whole hotel soon, and all of the facilities will be upgraded. We hope the new rooms and facilities will WOW our guests.
Once again, thank you for your comments. We are looking forward to serving you again!
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.