“Warm stay in winter” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort to your Saves list
Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jiuzhaigou Scenic Spot, Aba Zhou, Jiuzhaigou County 623402, China   |
Bangalore, India
“Warm stay in winter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Hi,
Date of Travel - Dec-1,2,3 2013
Reasons for choosing this hotel -
1. I usually book room myself and plan my trip, and itternary. So except a few hotels, rests of the hotel websites were all in Chinese.
2. Being from southern part of India, I had never felt lower temperatures (below 12 degrees). Here it was 5 to -7 Celsius. So I had very limited option of hotels which had air conditioning 24/7.
3. English - very few people speak english. So getting into a hotel where some English is understood is better.
4. Who does not know Sheraton class? I was at ease.
Room was warm and cozy. Staffs were friendly and helpful.
Some things which this hotel can improve is to provide a shuttle service to the entrance to the park, since the main source of residents is due to the existance of the park. This would greatly benefit the tourists who stay in this hotel, and also add value to the hotel.
For vegetarians - You get plain rice at the hotel, and yogurt in nearby shop. So, you can manage by bringing some GONGOORA/Pickle etc, and curd rice.

Regards,
Vijai

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Renee T, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort during your recent trip. I am very glad to hear that you were satisfied with the high standard of service we continually strive to achieve.
We are glad that the locality of our hotel which near the Jiuzhaigou national park and shopping area was also an additional benefit to your stay with us. For vegetarian, we can provide the vegetarian food in our Chinese restaurant Pearl Court, and we will suggest our food & beverage team to provide more vegetarian food in our buffet.

Thanks again for your feedback and suggestions. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

444 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Lynnwood, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We were a group traveling so our agent selected this hotel. I gave it 4 stars b/c of the location, the rooms were clean (not tired as some have stated).
Free wi-fi is in the lobby which was ok b/c we got to sit as a group and chat while uploading pics, etc.
The show at the hotel is worth seeing. It's a nice way to spend the night
The location is PERFECT for the park.
Now...the food...AWFUL! Well, it tried to be good...but the buffet EVERY MEAL was STONE COLD...does the kitchen know that those trays come with little warmers that should be lit?? AND if a staff member is assigned to close the lids after use...the food stays warm
the food might have been nice...but it was so cold, it was barely edible.
the only thing that was warm was the ordered eggs and soups ...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Renee T, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear guest, thank you very much for your precious comments and feedback. Our hotel is just 1.5 km away from the entrance of Jiuzhaigou national park. It's very convenient for guests to shopping and visiting the scene spot.
On behalf of our F&B team, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are going to take actions, and make sure the food temperature is suitable for eating.
Once again, thank you for your comments. We are looking forward to serving you again!
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Be prepared that everything near the Jiuzhaigou park entrance is on the costly side; including this hotel. Of course no one expects Sheraton to be in the economical class; so is expectation .....
Even though mentally prepared after reading reviews before booking & check-in, there were still disappointments in a few areas.

Hardware:
Nice building design carrying characteristics of the majority race in that region, spacious and good interior throughout. But getting the right hot-cold water was so 'tough' even though the sink/bath/shower water taps are of simple/normal system, and after 2 days of stay!
A few short stays at the lobby had me witnessing/overhearing various kinds of negative feedback/complaints to the front desk staff...... Request to change rooms seem common (including my own experience).

Room:
Pls see feedback on water system above.
Not that spacious for the price. Wardrobe is cramped and not user friendly.

Service:
Front-desk staffs were polite but didn't know how to manage queue and not efficient. And this wasn't the peak season (end Oct).
My own experience was smoking rooms ware allocated when many non-smoking ones were available; even though this was clearly stated at booking time.
SPA charges were not cheap (ok, this is Sheraton), but we were not even offered a cup of plain water, and masseurs kept on up-selling services....
Chinese restaurant charges and service flexibility was a contrast. Just a simple request to replace a few slices of beef (hotpot set meal) with other meat almost created a scene! Manager had to step in to accede to our request, and yet unable to deliver as she offered (chicken became pork....) but we gave up.

Conclusion:
This hotel has the look and potential to be a great hotel in the region.
Although this hotel could continue to sell on being one of the few high end hotels in the area, the location and of course the name, Sheraton has to seriously up the service mark so as not to let it tarnish the brand!

Room Tip: Double check your room preferences at the front desk before going to the room. And be prepared to b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Renee T, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear guest, thank you very much for your precious comments and feedback. We are very attentive about it. On behalf of our hotel management team, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. We have passed the water system problem feedback to our engineering team, and they will look out for it. Regarding the service, more trainings on improving staffs' service skills will be provided by hotel management team.
We sincerely look forward to having you with us again soon.
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Let me start off by saying I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here - I was a little reluctant having done my 'homework' and having read several negative comments on Tripadvisor about the Sheraton Jiuzhaigou. However, the comments about pretty much every other hotel seemed even worse so I decided to take my chances and book the Sheraton.

What a pleasant surprise. Before my arrival Joy Zhang quickly responded to my emails and kindly arranged my airport pickup. I speak some Chinese but cannot read/write characters so appreciated her email in fluent English. I had booked a 'Deluxe' room and had specifically requested a room in East Wing, based on recommendations here on Tripadvisor. Note: this was a good tip as the west wing is in fact a seperate building. Probably not the end of the world, but easier to stay in the East Wing where the reception, restaurants, gym etc are located.

My room looked fairly new so it looks they have a mix of older and newer - refurbished - rooms in this Sheraton which may explain the mixed reviews. Book a Deluxe Room in the East Wing and you'll be fine. I think these used to be the Club Rooms before they closed the Executive Lounge as this was - albeit closed - on the same floor as my room.

Positives about the hotel:
- Very friendly staff, level of English was mixed but combining my basic Chinese and their basic English (and in a few cases good English) things worked out very well. I think if you don't speak any Chinese people may struggle a little (not only here but in Jiuzhaigou as a whole), but I think they always had at least someone available who could speak some English.
- Their Sichuan restaurant is excellent, don't bother with their western buffet - the Chinese restaurant is far far better. Although not that cheap (main dishes from around 70 to 200 RMB) it is not THAT much more expensive than the local food joints. This says more about Jiuzhaigou as a whole, the whole place is geared up to help you spend your money as quickly as possible (ATMs are everywhere across the village). However, the Sheraton is not particulary expensive when it comes to it's Sichuan restaurant and the quality is good.
- The room was very nice - comfortable bed, nice bathroom. No sign of the mold described in other reviews, so again looked like it was a newer room. Heating was fine, cooling was not. Not a major problem for me as it was cold outside and I'm tall enough to open the two small windows, many people will have trouble getting to the windows without standing on a chair though. Don't expect rooms with a really nice 'view', I don't think there are any - don't worry though, when you get to the park itself you'll have plenty of nice things to see.
- Location: very good, around 15 minutes walk to the entrance of Jiuzhaigou National Park (leave the hotel, turn left and keep walking) or 2 mins by taxi (10 RMB). Behind the hotel are a few small streets with shops, small supermarkets (if you want to buy water etc) and right between the hotel and the small river is Bian Bian Jie which is Jiuzhaigou's restaurant alley. Probably because of the time of the year it looked pretty deserted but I can imagine that in high season and warmer weather it looks nice with people having dinner outside.

Negatives:
- Probably my biggest surprise was the extortionate price of hiring a car via the hotel. A day trip to Huanglong NP (definitely worth it by the way, see my seperate review!) would cost 2,600 RMB when booking the hotel car, whereas the local taxi price was 600 RMB. Of course getting a nice Buick comes a premium but not more than 4 times that of a taxi. Crazy. However, they helped me book a local taxi, 8am departure, return at 6pm, 600 RMB in total.
- My only other gripe would be the 'buffet breakfast' which was absolutely poor quality - not only the Western food was poor quality (poor selection, low quality), also the Asian food looked unappealing, cold and - for example in case of the noodles - drowned in oil. They charged 180 RMB for this, this is something they have to improve, not up to right standard.
- Internet availability is poor - it was hardly working in my room (LAN cable only, no wireless) and you have some, albeit slow, wireless connectivity in the lobby but it doesn't extend to the restaurants and it hardly reaches the bar. In this day and age this is something that can be resolved so quickly and is expected from hotels at this price level, please install some proper wireless APs throughout the main areas (covering the bar and restaurants as well) and in each room.

Overall: would highly recommend the Sheraton. Appreciate other reviewers may have booked different room types so can only comment on Deluxe Rooms in the East Wing and my overall experience. Staff members have been very friendly and Jiuzhaigou was beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for a Deluxe Room in the East Wing. They seem to be relatively newly refurbished and are in the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest, thank you very much for your precious comments and feedback. We have shared your review in our hotel management team. We really appreciated that you took the time to write the comments, as we can learn what’s our shortage, and improve our service and products.

Regarding the guest rooms, all of our West wing rooms are Deluxe category and above, which is higher category than East wing rooms(Superior rooms). Thus, there may some difference for the facilities and decoration. For the car rental price and breakfast buffet feedback, we will pass to our related management team, and will start to improve it as soon as possible.

For your info, we are going to renovating the whole hotel soon, and all of the facilities will be upgraded. We hope the new rooms and facilities will WOW our guests.

Yorkshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The hotel looks a bit tired and is definitely not up to the standard you would expect from a Sheraton. Our room was comfortable enough but again everything would have benefited from a revamp. There is no free wifi in the room but only in Reception.

We were on a dinner, bed & breakfast deal so had the buffet in the evening. This was not an inspiring experience, with the food choice not good and various dishes barely warm. Breakfast was adequate but again nothing special.

Overall the impression was of somewhere which had seen better days and needed a makeover to bring it back to its glory days.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Renee T, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear guest, thank you very much for your precious comments and feedback. Our hotel management is very attentive about it. I am sorry that we did not inspired you in this recent stay.
Just for your info, we are planning a fully renovation in the beginning of next year. We hope the brand new design and upgraded facilities will surprise our loyalty guests in future.
We are looking forward to welcome you again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed there 2 nights for our first time to JZG. We booked two deluxe rooms for our family of 5. The rooms were clean and of decent size. Quiet and no smell of cigarette, fortunately.
( u should know what I mean if u r staying in hotels in China )

It's only a short taxi ride to the park entrance that cost RMB10. And the theater of the Tibetan cultural show "Zhang Mi" was less than 10 min taxi ride too. We found decent restaurants nearby for dinner & lunch. Convenient stores were available within walking distance ( nxt door ), where we bought our daily supply of drinking water and snacks.

The buffet breakfast was good with choices of western, Chinese & Japanese.

Free Wifi was available only in the hotel lobby.

The concierge guy was very helpful and attentive. He helped us booked the airport shuttle bus back to Hualong airport which is about 1 1/2 hours bus ride. We took his advice to visit an ancient Tibetan village called Zhong Zha Gou, about 1/2 hour taxi ride. It was off the ordinary JZG's itinerary. We had 2 hours horse rides lead by the Tibetan villagers. It was a pleasant day trip especially for my 3 young kids.

The resort is situated at a very convenient location where u could easily get taxis to venture out. I would recommend Sheraton JZG.

Stayed May 2013
Renee T, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort during your recent family trip. I am pleased to hear that you appreciate the high standard of service we continually strive to achieve. We are glad that the locality of our hotel near the Jiuzhaigou national park and shopping area was also an additional benefit to your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Guangzhou, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

It was a clean hotel with nice location but: there was no wifi. We couldn't have lunch when we got back to hotel. There was no restaurant. They suggested room service. We ordered some food from the in room dining service. It took very long to understand each other. They asked for payment in the room. It took very long for us to convince the guy that we want it to be charged to our room.
When we went to the restaurant for breakfast, most of the food was finished. There was no coffee. It took very long to refill them. We asked for baby chair and it too took very long to bring one. They said they're bringing it from the east wing. If you stay there, try to be at the east wing.

Stayed October 2013
Renee T, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear guest,thank you very much for your precious comments and feedback. Our hotel management is very attentive about it. On behalf of management team, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are going to provide more trainings for our staffs, in order to improve the service quality. We are looking forward to serve you again.

Been to Sheraton Jiuzhaigou Resort? Share your experiences!