“Fantastic Italian in Greystone area” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Birmingham, Alabama
“Fantastic Italian in Greystone area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

I have been to Amore four times now. It is, in my opinion, one of the finest Italian restaurants in Birmingham. By "fine" I mean the food. The restaurant is small, very few tables and the ambiance is quaint, cozy, and semi-romantic even though it is located in a strip mall type of location. The food is absolutely amazing. Everything tastes like it is homemade and super fresh, even the marinara sauce tastes better than most with fresh crushed tomatoes in it. The stand-outs on the menu are the SPECIALS. The grouper and seafood pasta specials are an absolute MUST Have. Also, the baked ziti is to die for. You MUST make a reservation to this restaurant because of the limited number of tables they have. Put this one on your list...its a true gem.

• Visited February 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Dothan, Alabama
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Always looking for a great little Italian restaurant; my Birmingham Belle and I tried this restaurant after reading all the great reviews on Tripadvisor.
This small restaurant is situated in a very nice strip mall in an affluent area 10 miles south of I-459 on the infamous Highway 280.
The restaurant is nicely decorated with a light Italian theme.

1. The service is excellent.
2. The rolls are delicious.
3. We asked for butter and a very nice slab of butter arrived on a plate.....BUT, the butter was so cold it wasn't spreadable.
4. I recommend the three meat balls as an appetizer...they are so very good!!!!
5. I had angel hair pasta with marinara sauce. The noodles the night I went were undercooked for my taste; close to raw and crunchy! I didn't care for the marinara sauce; that was a first for me; I love marinara sauce! But the serving was ample; enough to satisfy the hungriest patron.
6. My Belle had cheese ravioli with meat sauce. The food presentation was wonderful. A large full plate. and very appealing. My Belle didn't like the sauce; she tried my marinara sauce and she said they were very close except for the added meat.

All in all the entrees were disappointing but well presented.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Best Grouper I've Had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

I ordered the Grouper Francaise and it was prepared with butter sauce and capers with big shrimp on the side over a bed of angel hair pasta. It was hot and delicious and plentiful. The drive from town is about 25 minutes but worth it! I made reservations ahead of time.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Birmingham
“Good and Plenty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

Good food, plentiful portions, cozy atmosphere, extensive menu selection, but just okay service.

We have been told by many people this is the best Italian restaurant in Birmingham. So we wanted to judge for ourselves. We made reservations (definitely needed) a few days prior and able to be seated at our requested time (6:30pm). We arrived about 6:15pm on a Saturday February evening. The hostess (also doubled as the only waitress) immediately seated us at a table for two.

This restaurant is located in a strip mall and has only 46 seats at 10 tables. The décor is nice, but nothing fancy or contemporary. Besides the waitress/hostess, there were two other service people, who had multiple responsibilities (eg, deliver food, refill drinks, bust tables). The music was a little loud, but consisted of Sinatra and other artists compatible with all age groups.

The menu had a number of appealing selections. We decided on the tomato/mozzarella cheese/balsamic vinegar dish as the appetizer. The portion was large enough for at least four people. The dish was really good. I ordered the steak special and she ordered the linguine with shrimp (regular menu item). Both of us were really satisfied with the taste but more impressed with the portion size. The strip steak was almost 20oz with prosciutto ham and cheese covered in brown sauce with gnocchi. Her pasta had six very large shrimp and a nice serving of linguine in a red sauce. I thought the red sauce was good, but had a fishy taste; most likely due to the shrimp.

These two dinner entrees were accompanied with a dinner salad and fresh rolls. We both had iced teas to drink. I did not examine the wine list so I am not able to comment on the selection. Both of us did not finish the quantity of food served to us, so they packed into a take home box. We saw many others also leaving with a take home box.

The only negative comments of this evening were: service was a bit slow and the dessert options were minimal. We wanted to order dessert, but the few options were not ‘exciting’ (crème Brule, sorbet, and a few others, but no chocolate cake or bread pudding). When the bill came, I was expecting the total to be over $100. I was surprised to see the total bill being only $68.

We agreed we will return to this restaurant, since we were pleased with the food and noticed a few menu options that were very appealing. However, this place does not replace our ‘best’ restaurant in Birmingham.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Worth the wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

Our first visit and it did not start off on a positive note. We had to wait 30 minutes for our reservation, but the wait was worth it. Complimentary glass of wine while we waited was very gracious, combined with a complimentary bottle of wine because of our wait. Food was excellent, mussels in tomate sauce was as good as we have ever had. Sole in light lemon sauce on angel hair pasta was perfect. Even with the problems, one of the best meals we have had in years.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere