“Food Is Good, But Watch Out” 2 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #115 of 872 Restaurants in Birmingham
Birmingham, Alabama
“Food Is Good, But Watch Out”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Generally speaking the food is very good especially considering that there are very few Italian options in Birmingham. However, time and time again the service and overall shady nature of Bettola has made the dining experience miserable. Most recently a friend that I dined with was charged for the same meal 3 times on her debit card (the same exact amount was charged 3 times) and another friend that I was with had the tip on her card altered to be more than what she added. We have called the Manager and he has not returned the call, awful! The other two times that stand out are as follows: Once I accidentally left my headphones and iPod on the bench seat where I had sat to eat. We were the last table of the night and when I realized that I had left the items I tried to go back in to retrieve them, but the door had already been locked, so I called them the first thing the next morning and was told by the person answering the phone, 'oh yes, I remember seeing those, let me go check' and when she returned 'oh, no one has found anything'. I emailed the manager and communicated what happened and he never responded, not even an acknowledgement email. Finally, I had a friends Birthday at Bettola, there were 10 of us total, we all ate appetizers and entrees and drank a ton. After we were done eating we ordered coffees and a friend presented a birthday cake, we were then told by the server that there was a $20 cake cutting fee.... $20! So beware! Again, lots of great food, some of the best gourmet pizza I've ever had and the salads and pasta are generally good as well, but the service and policies are awful and shady. The last time I was there our waiter made numerous sexist remarks including 'this is the bad thing about waiting on a table full of women, having to always wait for them to stop talking'. It's obvious that there is no real consideration when hiring, it seems that most of the employees have no experience and employee turn over is extremely high, there's always new wait staff every I'm there. For a restaurant at Bettolas's price point, these issues don't seem acceptable.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hoover, AL
“You have got to be kidding!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Not worth going to this restaurant! Overpriced and very little to eat. The atmosphere is horrible. You get seated at a bench within elbow reach of the couple next to you. I don't know how anyone could compare this restaurant to an Italian trattoria.....and yes I have been to Italy so I'm speaking from experience.

Visited February 2014
Birmingham, Alabama
“Meh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Nothing special, pasta was okay,small portions, pizza was doughy, service was condescending, small restaurant, whole place is an attempt to be snooty and trendy...wouldn't go back

Visited October 2013
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere was really nice but the food was not very good. We had pizza. The crust tasted good but was too thin and it had very little toppings. My husband and I paid over $15 for a skimpy pizza and 2 small glasses of tea. The service was good though, prompt and courteous. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
St. Simons Island Georgia
“Melt in your mouth pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Ok we came in tired from moving. The waitress recommended a really nice wine. We all got different dishes but I have to say the pizza was delicious and melt in your mouth goodness. I thought the service was excellent and the appetizers wine and pizza really good. We each got different ones and shared. I hope that the previous reviews are addressed by owners. Personally I highly recommend and next time I'm in Birmingham I will head straight for this place! I loved the variety. When we were there it was not crowded. Maybe that is the difference? We did not get pasta, had appetizers and pizzas...but they were to die for!

• Visited June 2013