“Clean, Great Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 82 hotels in Birmingham
Michigan
“Clean, Great Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

This is an old school Residence Inn, with several seperate buildings divided into your usual suites. The suite I had looked like the Kitchen had been recently remolded. New countertops and appliances. They did a good job with this. The staff was outstanding. When I am back in the area, I will stay here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

My family of four stayed here Feb 16-19. We would have stayed in the area an extra day except the experience at this hotel was so poor. Although the rooms had been recently refurbished, the service was inattentive or spotty, at best.

1) After returning to our room on the first day at 5:30 pm, we found that housekeeping had not yet attended to our room. (Stated hours for housekeeping were 9am-5pm.) I called the desk and was told that "she is still working." Because we didn't want to leave again, we asked for some towels to be left for us. They were -- at the front desk, not at our room.

2) The next day was better -- we got service. However, we received 8 washcloths and 1 towel. I should have taken a picture. I called -- now a second time -- to ask for a reasonable number of towels. I had to go to the desk to retrieve them.

3) The rooms are so poorly built that we assumed a family of hippos were in the suite above us! No matter the time of day, loud creaking was apparent and the sound of running was almost constant. Do not expect a quiet experience here. (We were in room 212.)

4) Hot water. Or, lack of it. Yes, we had four people but only 1 of us got hot water through our entire shower. Yes, this hotel is comprised of a number of smallish buildings but hot water should be plentiful in a modern, American hotel.

Although we complained, the staff of the hotel did nothing to try to make our stay better. I should have demanded a refund or rate reduction given the issues, but I didn't.

Room Tip: Rooms are loud and in smaller, apartment type buildings, meaning you have to walk across a parking l...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

This was a stopover on a coast-to-coast trip and I needed a place with a kitchen to replenish my prepared food supply so I could function in a microwave/fridge environment for the following couple of days. I wanted to stay on an upper floor for security and was upgraded to a 2-bedroom apartment with a nice loft bedroom. The unit was clean and well-furnished, although a few small things like dish soap were not provided. Construction materials were piled up in the parking lot outside my unit, but I left so early that it ended up not mattering. The hotel was easy to find, and getting back on the interstate the next morning was also a cinch. I'd stay here again if I had to be in Birmingham on another trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor and get away from the hotel entrance and office for a little more peace and quie...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. It was very well appointed and updated. My family and I stayed in a 1 bdrm with a loft bdrm. It was great to have the space and the kitchen amenities that we would have at home. I was there in November 2011, so the temps were a little chilly at noght. Having the wood burning fireplace was really nice and cozy. The unit was quiet and not far from the main building and lobby. The breakfast was good for what it was, you can make you own waffles in the resturant area. Plenty of choices for breakfast.

Room Tip: Get the penthouse suite. Marriot stopped building this type of Residence Inn. I like these older o...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Although some of the older reviews on this hotel are negative, we decided to stay here on a weekend. We were not disappointed. We stayed in the Penthouse suite which was definitely worth it. Super spacious and very clean. The inside is a little bit dated (walls and carpet) but the 3 flat screen TVs, upgraded kitchen and many amenities made up for that. Upon check-in the front desk staff was extremely friendly and welcoming. After we got to our room, the front desk even called to make sure everything was to our satisfaction. We also had homemade cookies delivered to our suite by the manager who addressed me by name and asked if there was anything she could do for us. When we realized we did not have an iron, we called the front desk to request one. After about 20 minutes, the front desk staff called to make sure we had received our iron. We informed them no we had not so they immediately had one brought to our room. The breakfast was plentiful and fresh and the staff went out of their way to make sure everything was to our liking and even offered to bring additional items that had been depleted. Upon returning from our long game day at midnight, we found our room had not been serviced for some reason. I did call the front desk to inform them of this and was told we could have fresh towels and a note would be placed on our account so that someone would address the oversight upon checkout. When checking out the next day, the front desk staff again apologized and credited one night's stay for the inconvenience! I haven't received such excellent customer service in a very long time so it was much appreciated. Would recommend this hotel as it is close to lots of restaurants and cannot beat the friendly, welcoming and helpful staff.

Room Tip: If you can, stay in the Penthouse suites. So roomy and we liked the separate bedrooms/bathrooms. O...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011 via mobile

Do not be fooled by their website photos or description. We paid $219 a night and this place is a total dump that needs to be torn down. Inside the room was " renovated" but still had cracked ceilings, creaky floors, drafty windows, broken towel racks, broken bathroom vents, etc..

Outside is 10x worse. Creepy people smoking and partying outside, trash, beer cans, dogs off lease, horrible dilapidated buildings, very poor lighting. Feels very unsafe!!

Avoid this hotel!!!!!

• Stayed October 2011
Wellington, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Stayed for 90 nights and changed rooms twice due to hotel renovations. Aside from being an inconvience, the staff was not ready to the agreed time to support the moving effort.
The hotel renovations is much needed to update the property however the poor workmanship is evident throughout the two rooms I occupied. The furniture is old, new carpet covering holes in the floor, leaking ceilings and obvious wear and tear throughout. The dishes, iron and pots/pans are old need to be replaced. You must bring your own bowls and cooking utensiles. The lobby is small and it support the eating area, computer and exercise room. Most of the time the computer did not function, bring your own and hope wifi is available in your room. The meals are not exciting and lack variety. Cooking becomes a necessacity and not an option.

Room Tip: penthouse suites are more spacious
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Birmingham Inverness? Share your experiences!