“Almost Like Home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Aurora, Colorado
“Almost Like Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. It was very well appointed and updated. My family and I stayed in a 1 bdrm with a loft bdrm. It was great to have the space and the kitchen amenities that we would have at home. I was there in November 2011, so the temps were a little chilly at noght. Having the wood burning fireplace was really nice and cozy. The unit was quiet and not far from the main building and lobby. The breakfast was good for what it was, you can make you own waffles in the resturant area. Plenty of choices for breakfast.

Room Tip: Get the penthouse suite. Marriot stopped building this type of Residence Inn. I like these older o...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Although some of the older reviews on this hotel are negative, we decided to stay here on a weekend. We were not disappointed. We stayed in the Penthouse suite which was definitely worth it. Super spacious and very clean. The inside is a little bit dated (walls and carpet) but the 3 flat screen TVs, upgraded kitchen and many amenities made up for that. Upon check-in the front desk staff was extremely friendly and welcoming. After we got to our room, the front desk even called to make sure everything was to our satisfaction. We also had homemade cookies delivered to our suite by the manager who addressed me by name and asked if there was anything she could do for us. When we realized we did not have an iron, we called the front desk to request one. After about 20 minutes, the front desk staff called to make sure we had received our iron. We informed them no we had not so they immediately had one brought to our room. The breakfast was plentiful and fresh and the staff went out of their way to make sure everything was to our liking and even offered to bring additional items that had been depleted. Upon returning from our long game day at midnight, we found our room had not been serviced for some reason. I did call the front desk to inform them of this and was told we could have fresh towels and a note would be placed on our account so that someone would address the oversight upon checkout. When checking out the next day, the front desk staff again apologized and credited one night's stay for the inconvenience! I haven't received such excellent customer service in a very long time so it was much appreciated. Would recommend this hotel as it is close to lots of restaurants and cannot beat the friendly, welcoming and helpful staff.

Room Tip: If you can, stay in the Penthouse suites. So roomy and we liked the separate bedrooms/bathrooms. O...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Do not be fooled by their website photos or description. We paid $219 a night and this place is a total dump that needs to be torn down. Inside the room was " renovated" but still had cracked ceilings, creaky floors, drafty windows, broken towel racks, broken bathroom vents, etc..

Outside is 10x worse. Creepy people smoking and partying outside, trash, beer cans, dogs off lease, horrible dilapidated buildings, very poor lighting. Feels very unsafe!!

Avoid this hotel!!!!!

• Stayed October 2011
Wellington, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Stayed for 90 nights and changed rooms twice due to hotel renovations. Aside from being an inconvience, the staff was not ready to the agreed time to support the moving effort.
The hotel renovations is much needed to update the property however the poor workmanship is evident throughout the two rooms I occupied. The furniture is old, new carpet covering holes in the floor, leaking ceilings and obvious wear and tear throughout. The dishes, iron and pots/pans are old need to be replaced. You must bring your own bowls and cooking utensiles. The lobby is small and it support the eating area, computer and exercise room. Most of the time the computer did not function, bring your own and hope wifi is available in your room. The meals are not exciting and lack variety. Cooking becomes a necessacity and not an option.

Room Tip: penthouse suites are more spacious
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Manassas, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights...really needs work. In our bathroom, the ceiling was molded in places, and there was a patch on the tub that was coming off. The lighting was rather dark in the bathroom. The bed, a king size, was VERY UNCOMFORTABLE, and caused me to have a crick in my neck both nights. The walls had fingerprints or scratches all over them, and they could have very easily been removed with a little elbow grease and some cleaner. It would have gone a long way if there had been WI-FI in the room-only cable connect, which doesn't work on an iPad. Also, there were no sheets and pillow for our third person, and I had booked the room for 3! Had to call the front desk at 1AM and we had to go get them.

Outside, parking was very tight, and the outside facades could really use paint and better lighting.

All in all, not what I am used to from Residence Inn, and I would not recommend it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

The suite I stayed in was fairly dark, dirty and outdated. The dishes looked like they had been wiped off and placed in the cabinets, but not actually washed. The carpet had not been thoroughly vacuumed for quite some time. I requested "no housekeeping service" the entire time I was there (42 days) because I brought my pet and did not want a housekeeper to accidentally let him out, so I bought an inexpensive vacuum cleaner locally and was shocked at how much dirt it picked up. The bed was horrible! I think the box springs were to blame rather than the mattress itself. I was miserable my first night there. The next night, I put the mattress on the floor and slept much better. The second night I got the idea to lift the headboard off of the wall and place it under the mattress for extra support. This worked like a charm. I would not have been able to stay there any longer if I had not been able to fix the bed situation. There was a dark yellow urine(?) stain on one of the mattress pads. I opened the cabinet under the bathroom sink and noticed the wall behind and under the sink had fallen down. The inside of the building (like a crawl space) was exposed with the cabinet doors open. That was really creepy and disgusting! I showed it to J.D. (maintenance guy). He told me he had not been previously informed of the situation. I sealed it off by taping the bathroom cabinet doors shut with shipping tape so that my small pet wouldn't wander into the crawl space. The heater unit was loud and DUSTY. The room itself smelled a little gamy when I first arrived. The smell dissipated after I washed and bleached the mattress pad and pillowcases. The light over the kitchen sink didn't work. One of the overhead lights was blown out. The window on the side of the suite had a crack in it. The flue would not shut in the fireplace. Something was wrong with the lever. I was eventually able to trip the door shut by reaching inside, but I got covered in soot in the process. I was disappointed that it was not a gas fireplace, but one where the guests had to purchase synthetic logs. One of the curtain rods had pulled away from the wall and was dangling down which was unsightly and made opening and closing the curtain difficult. For some strange reason, the TV would come on at a very loud volume. No attempt at resetting the volume would work. I learned to compensate by immediately decreasing the volume right after hitting power on. The sofa seat had no support and was not comfortable to sit on. The support may very well have been broken. I put a clean sheet over the sofa because it did not smell or look very clean either. The refrigerator worked well, but wobbled when I opened the door. One of the legs appeared to have been missing. I pulled the refrigerator out to clean behind and under it. Much to my surprise (after the earlier results vacuuming) the area was clean. I noticed strange leaks during my stay. They did not seem to be related to water usage through the pipes in the suite, but rather whenever there was rainy weather (and there were a good deal of rainy days during my stay), water pooled up in two places. One was under the kitchen sink and the other was under the bathroom counter (not under the sink) near the back wall. The later leak would be accompanied by an "earthy" smell like damp dirt. There was weather stripping on the door to the suite, but there was still a BIG gap letting cold air in. Worse, the smoke from a nearby barbecue restaurant would waft into the suite through the gap. There may also be a security problem with the gap. One night with the light on inside, I was entering the suite from the outside and noticed it was very easy to see the throws to the locks. There was enough play between the frame and the stop that it may have been easy to pop the throw back with a screwdriver and break in! There were quite a few mornings that I smelled cigarette smoke as if coming through a vent (bathroom). I believe the rooms are all designated non-smoking, but some of the guests are certainly not complying. On the plus side, I was happy with the price. I got a decent discount for the amount of time I was staying. And I always appreciate a hotel that allows pets. It was much quieter than I thought it would be so near busy Highway 280. The washing machines for the guests had really hot water and large baskets for washing large loads. I loved the apartment pod-type of hotel design. It felt more homey than a single hotel building with rooms off a long corridor. Having a good, FREE hot breakfast in the morning was a godsend! Also, the gatehouse staff was amazingly nice and attentive. However, whenever I asked the housekeeping staff for more toilet paper or a change of towels, they behaved like I was asking for something out of the ordinary. One housekeeper with a fully loaded cart actually told me she could not get me paper towels from her cart - that I would have to go to the gatehouse to get more. I believe she didn't want to risk running out of supplies on her heavy cart and having to go all the way back to the gatehouse herself to replenish. I notified Marriott of all the problems in a survey they sent right after my trip, but they never commented back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Aside from the construction, which is EVERYWHERE and severely degraded the happy hour and breakfast experience, the hotel tried to move me to a different location because a guest wanted to extend. They called me at 5 pm to say that a guest was extending and that I would have to move to a different Marriott. I was flabergasted as I had called them at 3pm to ensure a crib was ready in the room for our toddler. After an endless discussion on the phone, they gave me a room that I already had reserved! In regards to the construction, the lobby is in shambles, food is being served from two guest rooms, though the food selection is below Residence Inn standard and there is no room to sit. During the happy hour, the only drinks were beer and the keg was BROKEN. Needless to say, I recommend you avoid this hotel until ~October when the construction is supposed to be complete. On the pro side, it does have great penthouse rooms with lofts and a very good location.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Birmingham Inverness? Share your experiences!