“We Would Stay Here Again...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #33 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“We Would Stay Here Again...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

Nice hotel surrounded by chain restaurants, fast food places, and shops, makes this place an ideal base to explore Birmingham & Hoover.

The staff were friendly throughout our stay and the hotel had a great choice of hot and cold items for breakfast. Ranging from a waffle station, scrambled eggs, sausage, to fresh fruit, and pastry. Nice selection to suit everyone though due to this it did get very busy and tables went fast for those late risers.

Room was a good size, well kept, very clean, and comfortable. Noise from next door due to the dreaded adjoining door for families was apparent, but probably one of the better sound insulated doors compared to other hotels we’ve stayed at. Apart from this the room was fine with fridge and microwave provided which came in handy.

We didn’t get round to using the other hotel facilities like the whirlpool, outdoor swimming pool, or gym, but they all looked well kept, which we would have used given more time.

One thing to note is the roads around the hotel can become very busy and I would suggest you map out a route to the hotel, as it’s easy to miss the turn off as the hotel is located up a hill.

Overall a nice hotel at a good price that we would consider staying again next time we’re in town.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Asheville, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

Stayed 4 nights; basically it was fine- clean, priced better than Hampton Inn but tries to imitate them. Not nearly as much professionalism in staff or management: examples are 1. No USA Today any day, 2 different staff said "oh, we are out". Truth was, they never GOT any! (I later verified this). Unbelievable!. 2. No orange juice for 2 days running (means no one oversees the operation effectively or corrects a deficiency; this would never occur at hampton!). 3. Big dirty rag layed in driveway in front of hotel the entire time I was there. no one ever policed up the area nor did any kind of inspection of the outside, apparently. Again, this is why it is a Hampton IMITATOR rather than substitute. BTY, a nice Hampton is on 280 just a mile from downtown; it is, however, much more expensive- about 75% more.On the plus side, they have a nice waffle maker (none at Hampton) and an indoor whirlpool area (none at hampton) that was very nice.
Beware: if you don't know Birmingham, this hotel (and others nearby in the area) is on the most congested road in the area- Route 280, about 8 miles from downtown. If you want to go into or toward town, it is almost always a headache experience, and rush hour is just impossible.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
muscle shoals
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

I got a smoking room when I reserved a non smoking room. The man at the front desk said the internet reservations came in last and that's all they had.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
little rock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

This is a very nice property located in the midst of beautiful surroundings. Looks like the owners and its staff take great pride in maintaining the property. I had reserved two rooms for my family and my close relatives. We all were impressed with the cleanliness in the rooms. The rooms are well sized and the hallways were very clean. I am mentioning all this because we had two infants in the crawling stage and felt comfortable allowing them to crawl in those rooms and that is my benchmark for cleanlines when away from the confines of my house. The nightstaff gentleman made every effort to ensure that we all stayed on the floor in adjacent rooms with excellent views of the surroundings, although we all checked in on different dates. The wireless internet at no extra charge was a great plus compared to having to shell an extra 9-20 dolllars a day in some other luxury hotels after paying room rents in excess of $250 or higher. The free hot breakfast was one great convenience with small children and gave us all a lot of quality time with family and avoid having to drivie in the busy Birmingham traffic to get to a restaurant, however this hotel is located within a few minutes of driving distance from many great eating places. The lady who hosts breakfast is extremely polite and expresses great warmth to children. I would love to stay here again with my family if I had to vist this part of the country again. One more thing, since it was the weekend at the time of our checkout I observed during the breakfast that it is very conducive for larger family reunions adn groups. My earnest recomendation is to change the weekend hours of breakfast to 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM to make it even better suited for the weekend traveller /families on leisure trips. I am not certain if this is suited for business but given a choice, I would use it for my business travel. This is also located at convenient distances from several golf courses as my relative would have wanted. A great value for money and time spent on doing the web-search for this property.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
algiers la
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

Again we are attracted to the Wingate because it is a nice, better than average, in most cases, hotel with larger than normal rooms. Love the rooms. Birmingham is one of the better of the four Wingates we stayed in this week. Three were good and Columbia SC Harbison was bad. Wingate needs to crack down on the poorly managed ones or it is going to hurt the whole chain.The staff here was friendly and helpful. The location was a little funky along a winding road off of 280 but it was a beautiful little well landscaped short drive and once we did it was easy to get in and out. It might sound picky but most of the Wingates could pay more attention to the caulking around the bathtub. I don't know why that seems so difficult for them to do. But again we are fans of Wingate and will continue to stay in them as long as they maintain the facilities and provide good management .

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
cglex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

I stayed here because that is where my client booked me. This hotel is a a notch below the typical Hampton Inn. The rate was cheap and so was the room and facility. The one plus is a very helpful pleasant staff. The downside is the manager is a real jerk. I was with a group of 4 that had been staying for 8 consecutive weeks. I had booked the room over the phone locally and the jerk manager refused to give me the much cheaper internet rate on check out and was willing to pass on our business for the following week. This is on top of a complete screw up in the billing system that night and he knowingly sent out inaccurate bills to all the rooms. The bad news is the motel next door is worse. Others in my group had tried the nearby Hampton Inn and that was worse than this place too. My advice is to stay closer towards central Birmingham at a better, but more expensive hotel.

Note the hotel does have internet service and it is free, but it is definitely not high speed. Worse, some monitoring device would shut me out when ever I visited a page with lots of java links such as the Wall Street Journal. They claim to have a business center but what I saw was a joke.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

The service was helpful, checkin was quick. Originally they had me in a room by the elevator, very noisey. The front desk was helpful in moving my room, no problems.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Birmingham? Share your experiences!