“I had an amazing experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Birmingham

You added Howard Johnson Inn Birmingham to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Inn Birmingham
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   275 Oxmoor Road, I-65 Exit 256B, Birmingham, AL 35209-4705   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #66 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
Huntsville, Alabama
“I had an amazing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Me and my fiance and our friend stayed at this hotel last night after attending a concert at the Boutwell Auditorium and it was a very nice comfortable room. It is definitely an older building with expected ware and tear but it is still a nice place to stay for the price. It is not a 5 star hotel but it is definitely worth staying at and I am sure we will stay there many more times in the future. This hotel is within walking distance of many different stores, including restaurants, grocery stores, and gas stations. It is only 4 miles from downtown and it was surprisingly quiet to be so close to town.The taxi service is also really good in that part of town. I felt like I was home here and it was an amazing experience. The only complaint I have is that there was no microwave and fridge in the room and I was convinced that there was. I am guessing only some rooms have this amenity so be sure you check on that if it is something you need when staying here. :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

This hotel is horrible. I felt like I was at The Bates Motel and the cousins from Wrong Turn ran the place. Seriously, you will do A LOT better at Motel 6 and it will be cheaper.

They took my $, handed me a key and walked off at check in. I drove around 5 minutes trying to find the room. There is some type of local extended stay or something attached to this hotel, looks very creepy. Some doors are boarded up, you can see some rooms used as storage because there are no curtains and people were lurking around the breeze way.

I had to go back and get the "Manager" to tell me where the rooms was, he was straight out of Deliverance and not friendly at all. Looked a MESS! The internet didn't work, I called several times and it never worked. I finally gave up!

The carpets were dirty, the toilet wouldn't flush halfway through the night. The room felt dirty, I had to lay my own sheet over the bed to lay on it. The shower head shot out one small direct stream of water. The room smelled like mold. I could hear people outside all hours of the night. I had to get up and keep checking on my vehicle, because the area was rough. There is no chance I would have ever stayed for the breakfast, I could only imagine!

Go up the street, go some place else, just don't stay here. I had never stayed at a Howard Johnson before and never will again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Hannah_Johanna, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Birmingham, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
We are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Since your stay we have hired and trained new clerks to help you with your accommodations. If something is wrong with your room, by all means call the Front Desk. Our clerks will work with you to make things right.
Vassar, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

staying there was very uncomfortable, very dirty, and management are nice until you actually get the room. They move you in the the back called oxmoor lodge if your stay is longer than a week where u cant get internet service, toilets don't flush, tub backs up and threaten to kick you out it u try to come up front for their breakfast. Over all Dirty, dirty, filthy. Also feels like that something was biting me, pray i didnt catch anything from this dirty hotel.

Room Tip: anything is better than
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Our management cares about the well-being of our guests. If there is ever an issue please let a clerk or manager know. If you are staying more than a week you are always welcome to stay at the Howard Johnson. There is no requirement to move to our long-term property.
Greenwood, Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

i'm a 34 yr. old male & i chose this hotel after searching online for a resonable hotel for me,my wife, & 4 kids to spend 1 night at that offered joining rooms. we were on a short vacation visiting alabama adventures. the joining rooms were nasty with what looked like blood or coffee stains on the side of the box springs. the rooms smelled a little. there were college students in surrounding rooms that had a noisey party with a stripper over all night mostly that ended with her being pissed off i guess about not being payed correctly or something & leaving the room slamming the door so hard that the window seal came flying off in front of my door and the in house maintnance guy (i guess) coming up to see what was wrong. also i believe the receptionist was a little racist. i asked for 2 rooms on the bottom & he lied saying that there wasn't any available,but there were a few joining rooms on the bottom with the curtains open & clearly no1 occupied them all night. my wife was pissed & demanded another room in which the ones they offered were no better than the first. also not a real safe neigborhood. i made myself a promise that next time i will not worry about the price and only stay at quality hotels like the hamptons or other expensive hotels which will most likely turn the type of people away from the there hotels & prices because they are only getting the room in the first place for nothing no good.if you are traveling with family or not looking for a bad time or trouble, please do not stay at this hotel but if you are not up to any good then this is the place to stay honestly not trying to be rude or offend anyone, only being truthful

Room Tip: stay away from real cheap hotels
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
We are sorry your stay with us was not a pleasant one. Since your stay we have hired and trained new clerks, and a security officer is always on the property after dark. Our clerks will do their best to accomodate all room requests.
Donalsonville, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

We saw the Room and left!! Lost almost $90.00. This place is a DUMP! Unclean, Open Stinking Garbage Bags in Front, Some Curtains falling, Room Smelled so bad, almost made us sick. We could not stay there. Did not look Safe. DO NOT STAY THERE!!

Room Tip: Nothing, do not stay at HO JO's on Oxmoor Road
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Hannah_Johanna, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Birmingham, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Since your visit, we have made several improvements, including new beds and we are in the process of updating the room. If you get to your room and feel it does not meet your needs, please contact a clerk and we will work to make things right for you.
Panama City Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

Prior to us arriving at the hotel kids from the neighborhood had been playing pool instead of them placing an employee pool side during pool hours to verify guests they decide to spot check and harass guest... After arriving we decide the next day to play without knowing the previous situation we were harassed by the owner... After she verified us as guest pool side she was not satisfied and she proceed to order everyone to come down and check the hotel card and everything check out again. She never apologize to us or any of the guests at pool side.

• Stayed July 2010
Hannah_Johanna, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Birmingham, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
We are very sorry you were not satisfied with yoru experience at our property. Our pool is one of our best features, and we encourage guests to enjoy themselves while it is open. The managers do try and monitor usage of the pool so that guests may continue to use it without incident during the summer months. Please understand that we take these precautions for your own safety, as well as the safety of our other guests.
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

I never stayed at a HOWARD JOHNSON, but for some reason I thought this was a high class hotel. When the lady told me the govt rate was $49.99, I was excited; I thought I got a bomb deal. I get to the room and I felt jipped. The room looked worse than my USUAL Super 8 rooms. The only good thing about the room is that the cherry wood furniture seemed new. In my room, the toilet was LOW flow and barely flushed, the tub had hair on it from another guest, and the sink stopped up when I ran water in it. Also, I had to call the maintenance man to get the remote to work. The good thing is that the linen looked clean (no blankets though) and there was an iron and ironing board and breakfast. Breakfast consisted of pastries and orange juice with no ice. The ice machine at the hotel was not working. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
We are sorry yoru stay at our Howard Johnson was not up to your standards. Since your stay, we have updated our rooms and are in the process of updating the rest of the hotel. If you were not happy with your stay or needed assistance, please contact our front desk. They would have been happy to make the situation right for you.

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Birmingham? Share your experiences!