“Sheraton in Birmingham ruins anniversary celebration” 1 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #36 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Alabama
“Sheraton in Birmingham ruins anniversary celebration”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

Our daughter booked a reservation for us through Sheraton's central reservations as part of a romantic weekend for our anniversary. She used her credit card and name to book. She told them that the reservation was for her parents' as part of a gift. She told them our names and whoever she talked to at Sheraton's central reservations assured her that this was fine.
When my husband and I arrived, we were told that it was their policy that whoever booked the reservation had to be there. The supervisor did say that my daughter could fax her approval. This was a Saturday and my daughter, who lives out of state does not have a fax machine at home, as most of us do not. I was unable to reach my daughter, so was forced to pay for our own room. I would have gone somewhere else, but my daughter had hired a limousine to take us to dinner from the Sheraton. The supervisor was very unhelpful and didn't seem to care that Central reservations had misrepresented things to my daughter. The floor manager did offer a free dinner, but we already had dinner reservations somewhere else. He didn't offer anything else. The room that we ended up in was next to some type of hospitality suite and was very loud throughout the night. I feel sure that the supervisor did this on purpose because I had been so upset when we checked in. Because we had been unable to sleep much, we checked out early and went home, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

I travel on business to Birmingham about once a month and I was tired of doing the trip down and back in one day from Atlanta. I decided to stay at the Sheraton.

If you are travelling on business here are a few things to know.

Ask for a room which does not overlook the interior courtyard. I personally do not like the set up of hotels which the entrances all face an interior such as this from a privacy standpoint. Also, if you are a female travelling alone, ask to get a room which is not all the way down the endless hallways. I asked to change my room for both of these reasons.

The room was fine but the bathroom was a little dated, the tub drain latch would only stay in a closed potition and I find it gross to be standing in 6 inches of water when taking a shower. There is no mini bar to grab a snack or a soda.

There is NO place to eat within walking distance, and even if there way I would not want to be out on the street at night. We has dinner at the restaurant (there also is a sports bar which we checked out and it looks like they just microwave the food) and it was okay. It did not feel like a restaurant but more like a place where they set up tables and the waitstaff (not very attentive and there were only 3 other tables filled) had to go elsewhere to get drinks from the bar and food from the kitchen.

There is a bar in the lobby of the hotel and the bartender was more interested in watching TV than getting us a drink.

The lobby set up is poor and you feel likeyou are checking in to a convention instead of stay in a hotel. It it not organized well and consequently makes the environment feel quite hectic.

Any instance I had with hotel staff was fair. When I asked to move my room they were accomodating but I think in a situation where a guest is requesting to move a room for any reason, there should be a little higher level of customer service. I know the Sheraton is not the Ritz, but if I were the desk attendant I would call the guest and ask if the new room met their needs.

As I said in my title, unfortunately this is the only game in town if you are here on business. There are a couple boutique hotels, the Redmont being one of them. But the reviews I have read are not that positive. I would rather put up with the downside of the Sheraton in Birmingham and have the backing of a large chain behind my satisfaction with my visit.

So at the end of the day, it is not horrible, but there is nothing about it that will make you say "I can't wait to stay here again".

Lastly, valet parking is $20 and I was not told this upfront.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Pasadena, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

One of the "better" in the Sheraton brand. However, I will commend the front desk on their high customer service level. Very polite and attentive.

The rooms are somewhat dated and still have old televisions. I was only there one night but would return.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Chattanooga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

We have stayed here several times over the last few years. On the positive side the rooms have always been clean.

We had a big problem getting service at the spots bar. It was slow and the food was not very good.

Also, if you stay in the towers area it takes forever to get to your room after a concert. ( about an hour) There are only two elevators for hundreds of rooms. Ask to stay in the other end ( close to the registration area) if you want to get to yor room.

This is an OK place to stay, but don't expect too much and it is alos overpriced.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

Stayed here during the National Forensic League's national tournament.
Multitude of problems during the seven nights I was here.

For two nights, the wireless internet didin't work. Try to get work done remotely without internet.

Check in took a long time. A really long time. Once you got to the head of the line, the folks at the desk were quite friendly.

One morning the water in the showers didn't work. I had greasy hair all that day. Yuck.

One evening, the drain in the sink started to back up. "What's that disgusting smell!? Yuck! It's the sink backing up!" The plumbers were there next door working on someone else's backed up sink and they were able to take care of it.

One morning I went down for an incredibly overpriced breakfast and found I'd been locked out of my room. It seems there was a bad leak over the bed that kind of soaked everything. They were able to move me to a room across the hall.

This is an old hotel that has just had some cosmetic upgrades completed. It's a lovely property, but things just don't work right. A hotel that caters to business/conventioneers should spend a bit more attention to detail. Meals were hugely overpriced. Service was spotty.

Redeeming qualities: it is across the street from the convention center, it has a convenient (but expensive) parking garage, it is downtown (but across the street from the jail).

I would not return to this place if I had a choice. I do not recommend this property under any circumstances.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
carrbur, Management at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, July 15, 2009
Dear Guest, it is always a pleasure to receive correspondence from our guest regarding their stay with us at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel. We are delighted to know you were pleased with our staff and the convenience of being located adjacent to the convention complex. I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the plumbing problems and the inability to connect to our wireless internet service. We are nearing the completion of our renovation process with the replacement/repairing of plumbing and other components of the hotel. All comments are shared with our staff in an effort to improve all guest experiences. We value you as a guest and look forward to your return stay.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Pompano Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

I stayed at the Sheraton Birmingham while attending a convention at the hotel. All the convention-related meals were good and the room was nice. I'm not sure about the immediate area as we took cabs to the five points area for dinner, but the cab ride wasn't too expensive, so we must have been relatively close to the area. If the hotel is in a convenient location for you, then I believe it would be a good choice. Make sure you visit the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute if you have the time, it's interesting and educational.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
carrbur, Management at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, July 7, 2009
Dear Guest, thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Birmingham and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Birmingham.
Warm Regards,
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

This really is a nice hotel, but BE WARNED: this is a convention hotel that is centered around a much larger convention center and there may very well be a large convention going on during your stay. That being said, our trip just happened to be during a convention and it was really not a problem for us, but it may be for you so plan ahead to see if there will be a convention in town. Here's the rundown:

Rooms: What you'd expect from a Sheraton. The one we stayed in was good sized. Everything was clean. No weird smells. Starbucks coffee in the room was a real plus. They had a large bottle a spring water available in the room for $2.50. We didn't partake. AC worked great. Housekeeping had our room perfect everyday. Our room was located in the "Atrium" area of the hotel and while visually stunning it was noisy at times. I'd opt for a room located away from that area in the future. Our room was on the 11th of 17 floors and from what i can tell there ISN'T a good view from any floor or side of the hotel. They will all overlook the interstate or the convention center itself.

Parking: No free parking here. $20 per day (plus tip if you're so inclined) for valet service. $12 per day for unlimited self parking, which we did. Or you can choose to pay by the hour everytime you leave the parking deck. I recommend the $12/day self parking. The deck really isn't that far from your room.

Food: Plenty of places to eat / drink here, but most if not all are overpriced. We didn't eat at any of the places, but i did look at the menus and it's $$$. At the Atrium Cafe - Breakfast bar was $15+. Dinner entrees start at $20 and keep going. There is a Subway located on the convention center campus. Look elsewhere for food, unless you just want to stick around the hotel.

Pool: One of the best hotel pools i've been to. It's pretty big. Indoor. Around 3' deep. Has a nice glass ceiling to let the sun in. 2 lap lanes. And warm. It was really nice. The pool area also has a whirlpool/hot tub. The water was hot and it felt good, but only about half the jets worked and they needed to add some water. Pool also has a nice workout area and men's and women's shower area with saunas. Also, the pool is located on the 3rd floor, which is nice because you don't have to walk through the lobby like some dork with your swimming gear on. My son and i went everyday and for the most part we were the only ones there.

Overall/Misc: Free Internet in lobby for guests. The hotel is in a great location as far as you're right in the center of the city. This is a great hotel for any occasion, just do your homework before you go. It's big in everyway. 700+ rooms. But we had a great time and we had a 4 year old and a 9 month old and there was a huge convention going on, but my kid didn't care and neither did I.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
carrbur, Management at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, June 25, 2009
Hotel Management

Been to Sheraton Birmingham? Share your experiences!