“Only plus is location” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 81 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Only plus is location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This Sheraton is VERY dated. The carpets stained, the ceiling tiles in bathroom stained. No outlets for charging phones and electronics. They only have 3 elevators for such a large hotel...unbelievable. The valet charged us twice $20 for all access ($40). Valet did credit it after we made the request. It took valet a LONG time to get the car. If you use valet parking I would suggest that you call first or you will be waiting at least 20 minutes. They only had one front desk clerk with many large groups checking in. The only plus I can give this hotel is the location. We were there for a function at the convention center and it was very convenient to walk across the breeze way. I will have to think long and hard about staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear 0268johnson,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I apologize that your stay was less than perfect. At Sheraton Birmingham Hotel, we strive for friendly and attentive service and we are sorry that you did not receive this. Although there were obstacles, I hope you will return and give us another opportunity make your stay positive and memorable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Columbus, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Pretty average hotel but there are no restaurant's nearby, despite the downtown location in the Convention center area. The food served at the reception was not up to any Sheraton standards. Coffee and tea were out during meeting breaks and no one was bothered about refilling.

Dear NeeG1,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that previous Sheraton Hotels have provided for you. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future.
Laurel, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, the serivce was exceptional. One of the front in supervisor was very helpful,when it came to anything we needed to know about the hotel are discouts for crew he was right on it. Thanks alot Ahmad Sukar for a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: If you're in the downtown area i recommend this hotel.
Dear ron b,

Thank you so much for your positive comments. More importantly, thank you for taking time to personally recognize Ahmad Sukar. We appreciate everything and look forward to your return.

Regards
knoxville, tn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed two nights recently at this beautiful hotel. However, I experienced a first in all my years of travel. I had to leave early each morning. Each morning there was no COLD water in the shower. I have had showers with no hot water. This one, though, was so hot I couldnt even stand in it. I turned the knob all the way both ways and no change. I had it almost shut off, but still no cold water!!!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear gstutn91,

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced. The level of service you experienced is absolutely not what we strive for at Sheraton Birmingham Hotel. The information you have provided will be communicated to the Leadership Team to help with improvements.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

If you are doing business in downtown Birmingham, this is a good location -- close to everything. The hotel room was nice and comfortable -- pretty much what you would expect in a Sheraton anywhere. If you like Sheratons, you will likely like this one.

The service was a bit spotty. The days I was there the Club Lounge for Starwood elite members was closed. In my bathroom, the tub lacked a stopper -- I had to call twice to get one brought up -- and then wait while it was installed. When I went to print out a boarding pass at the Business Center, the printer hooked up to the computer didn't work. I tried three computers before being told there was some kind of new wifi and none of the printing worked. The clerk let me borrow a computer used for checking in guests -- and it loaded slowly, kind of like the computers you think of about a decade ago. So all in all, there seemed to be lots of litle things that didn't have the kind of ''fit and finish'' you would expect at a top-flight hotel.

The pricing also seemed a bit high. Valet parking was $20 -- the room rate was $129 plus taxes, so that seemed pretty high. I got breakfast one morning and it cost $20 for cereal, toast and coffee (including tax and tip.) You normally could get a full buffett for $20 at most Sheratons in cities the size of Birmingham (maybe even in Atlanta or New York.) I should note while they had a buffett cookware set up, there was no buffett the day I was there (not sure what it is normally priced.) It seems like the strategy is to offer reasonable/low prices on hotel rooms, and make it up by overpricing incidentals.

None of this was overly bad, and if you are an SPG member by all means try it (or the nearby Westin, which could be better, haven't tried yet.) But all in all, it makes me want to try another hotel next time I am in Birmingham.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mark N, General Manager at Sheraton Birmingham, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Steve M,

Thank you for posting your feedback from your recent visit with us. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with our service during you recent stay, especially with the delayed response from our Maintenance personnel. Please be assured that I have personally brought this information to the attention of management to ensure that other guests do not experience a similar lack of service.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to experience the service you deserve.

Regards
Southest US
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I had more "issues" at this hotel than any other place I have every stayed. EVER.

I called in advance to see if I could get a refrigerator for my room. It takes 48 hours for someone to return your call, if they even return it. Never heard from them. Glad I packed my cooler.

My non-smoking floor room smelled like smoke. The hotel was full (of teenagers). I was hesitant to ask to be switched because I was on a quieter, preferred floor. They said they would send a maid up with some air freshener. Never saw anyone!

The bell hops NEVER gave us tags/tickets for our luggage and the hotel was packed. Valet service kept asking for a ticket. Very annoying.

I got to take a cold shower one morning. I really don't like cold showers! Especially on a business-oriented trip.

The rooms are ok, but in the bathroom there was "gunk" caked on the wallpaper and a dusty old fan that didn't work so it got nice and humid in there. I couldn't even stand to take my shoes off to relax.

The only pros I can think of are that this hotel is connected by a breezeway to the parking deck and conference center, so the location is easy for that. They seemed to be at capacity and clearly could not handle that amount of guests in their hotel. I did not eat or buy beverages inside the lobby, but the lines for coffee/restaurants/snacks were really really long. I only stayed here for location, and will go with my regular, dependable hotel group next time!

Dear frugalbutfab,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback on your stay with us. I am sorry you were disappointed with your experience. I would like to apologize for no follow-up on your requests. We pride ourselves on our guest service and value feedback from our customers. We are sorry to see that you were disappointed with your stay and will use the information you’ve provided to prevent similar situations from occurring during busy times.
Denton, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I cannot give this hotel any "stars". I was attending a conference and the hotel was filled to capacity. They couldn't handle all the people. Constant water problems, shabby room, dirty room, disinterested and rude staff. No one seemed to care about our concerns. As a member of the board of the participating conference, I was shocked at how we were treated. I cannot recommend this facility to anyone.

Dear Cach0413,

I am deeply troubled to hear about your experience at our hotel. With regards to the water, we were experiencing some issues in which we are in the process of rectifying. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations; however, I am happy that you’ve provided us with feedback – valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future.

Been to Sheraton Birmingham? Share your experiences!